• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

W10 'Upgrade' install

Mac029

I've been all over the web re: W10's 'Upgrade' (Reinstall) vs 'Custom' (clean install). This is the best info I've found anywhere:

I'm installing W10 (Pro 64b) but have the W10 HDD from old system in my new build. Thinking I'd get option to overwrite (I have a backup). I think a "fresh install" is best, but it's asking if I want to 'Upgrade' or 'Custom' install. Says Upgrade will copy my files, appls, etc. It would be nice to just switch the key and anything w/ recognizes the new hardware.

Only Windows 10 has been on this HDD. New mobo (from GB to Asus), cpu and ram. If it overwrites W10 files it sounds like same files written as during a fresh install. AIUI the only real improvement of a clean install is a pristine registry. I could stop startup programs using config.sys if I need to.

Since I don't have any problems w/my W10, and since the reinstall will correct for drivers AND it will take my new key - preserving personalizations - I think I'll try Upgrade. Install makes the OS kosher for my MS appls; No future update should hose anything on the new system. And I believe the registry gets 'refreshed'. I can always do a clean install later if I choose to.

Anyone disagree that 'Upgrade' (Reinstall) also re-writes the registry? Not that I have any problems. If I were to do a clean install, are there any free appls that can transfer all my settings to the new system?

Thanks in advance. I'm putting TPU in my top tier of forums just due to that above thread.

Mac

What you are trying to do is akin from taking the "computer" that controls your fuel air mix, ignition timing, etc from one car and use it in another. While it theoretically should work ... it never seems to. Every person I have talked to who has done this has given it up. There's also the Windows licensing thing ... I have replaced motherbiards and CPus in the past, and kept the licensing intact with a fresh install (3 times) but the upgrades were such that they were or could have been "warranty replacements " .... Like fro a hero VI to a hero VII

Your old OS install includes drivers for one set of hardware. So what's happening is, as the OS is loading, it's trying to load drivers for hardware it can't find and detecting hardware for drivers you don't have. When you do the upgrade it's more about what's left behind than what is replaced. I have had marginal success when having no other option but in this case I a) disconnected ethernet cable, b) stopped WU from installing hardware drivers and c) uninstalled all hardware drivers. Still, after a few weeks, I just wiped the drive and and installed fresh copy.

You can amke this easier on yaself by installing the OS on a small SSD all by itself. Then you can a) wipe the SSD, b) reinstall Windows fresh and c) reinstall ya programs (on D) over themselves to set up the registry

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
There are boot options to refresh the install(wiping all window data) without wiping everything. Some programs will need to be reinstalled still.

Mac029

@john Taylor: I was under the distinct impression the 'Upgrade' install was specifically for exactly what I'm doing. Moving an OS version (Pro 64b) to new hardware, with the caveat I'm using a new key, while completely rewriting Windows files from scratch for the new hardware including drivers.
Which is why MS gives the ability to re-write Windows files, including the registry (completely?), to the new system. Correct me if this is wrong. Sounds to me like this "option" works about as well as their Windows backup routine...

If I follow your last sentence from 1st paragraph ( 3 times ) you were making a fresh install but the different mobo or cpu triggered an MS license problem. That sounds odd since many threads state the license is no longer tied to the mobo. Wouldn't know, I'm just repeating what I've read.

I read in the cited thread as well as others that you can get your old W10 to boot and run in a new system. But that is not what I'm attempting.

Everything I've researched tells me this is not moving your OS to another system and trying to get it to run using the old key, old registry and old drivers. I thought everything that needed to be changed was changed by this type of install. I think the key may be where others say the old drivers remain (but greyed out) and you need to manually delete them. Tells me Windows isn't so smart.

Guess it's back to wiping another drive and then move files, reinstall appls, re-do settings.... as usual.

@DeathtoGnomes: The 'Refresh' and similar 'Reset' definitely isn't anything I want to pursue. I thought 'Upgrade' install would be a 'Reinstall' with new key, new found hardware, but keep my appls and especially settings. Oh well.

I like to educate myself but I'll stick w/the tried & true. It's like these UEFI setting you have to mess with. Don't want to leave anything to chance.

Thanks vy much for the feedback.