1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

wanna try something in dos

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Darth_Pewee, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Darth_Pewee

Darth_Pewee New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey all..

i hope someone can give me an idea here,

i have a situation.. i have MS-Dos backed up as floppy images and would like to set it up on a FAT partition i have set up for it... sounds simple right, load MagicISO and copy them over, well i dont have a floppy drive as of now.... is there something that i can do in windows to fake the install over to the new drive

i have tried just copying all the files over there.... all that got me was a Please select proper boot media....

reason for all of this is flashing... i have an ATI card that i want to flash, and the windows program freeze frames my video card...

thanks in advance

Raymond~Darth_Pewee

2. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    under dos it's
    Sys [sourcedrive] [target drive]
    Copies system files, however this only works with DOS. I wouldn't mess with additional partitions. Just use your favorite burning program to make a bootable CD using the floppy as source for system files.

Darth_Pewee says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    And anyway...why FAT? Even FAT32 is better. NTFS FTW!

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't matter since it'll just be a boot disk for flashing.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    Oh...my bad.. DIdn't read. Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry!

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Darth_Pewee

Darth_Pewee New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have thought of doing that, but, this version of DOS is on 3 floppies......

is there a program that will burn all three to a CD? truth be told i have not used many burning programs, i have kept it simple... Clone, and XP built in.....

i have never really flashed before either, when i did i just had a floppy that i made a bootable disk with... that is not an option now, as i have searched up and down my house for something that i could plug in...

turned up no floppy... and im not going to go spend money on something that is beyond obsolete..

wait a minute... i think im trying to look at this all the wrong way..... what if, say i was able to make a small hard-drive, act like a win98 bootdisk would there be a way to do that? i guess if nothing else, i could just boot with a 98 cd... any comment would help me out a lot

thanks guyz, though i didnt get completely what i wanted, it does help for the mind to just circulate

but really if anyone has anything on how to make say a half-gig partition into a bootdisk... please let me know

Thanks

Raymond~Darth_Pewee

7. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Darth_Pewee says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  8. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Darth_Pewee

Darth_Pewee New Member

Thanks Received:
    its not that i need a full install, i just want to have something thats going to be there, when i need it, i will take a peek at the bootdisk.com..... i have used it before, was dying for a 98 bootdisk..

thanks you guyz for all your help very much appreciated!

10. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:

yeah, bootdisk.com has some really nice bootdisks.

I would probably suggest oily's link :)

Only major downside is that you have to burn it with every bios image and can't back it up.

Perhaps try a pen drive.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Darth_Pewee

Darth_Pewee New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have read that entire article, and tried the windows flash utility... as i said, that simply made my card freeze frame, after it says, your screen may blank.... its only the vid card though, cuz everything still works, its just stops sending signals to the monitor, and currently i have no burner, or thumb drive, im in a bit of a bind with what i have at hand....

here is kind of what i have right now... i have a drive with 128 megs on it, i used bootpart to make it able to be booted from, and i have the bootdisk from the bootdisk.com that said it was for flashing.... there was a utility i found online that pulled the bootsector from floppies, i then made a virtual floppy drive that i wrote that bootdisk image too, then proceeded to pull the bootsector from the virtul image floppy and write to the hard drive with the same program.. however, i have been unsuccesful with this method... im about ready to re-adjust the partition and load 98 to it... if i can advoid that, i would most certainly like too, i hate dual boots like that, after im done with this partition idea, i could simply remove it from the XP bootloader until its necessary again..

am i just trying to go at this all wrong?

please keep the suggestions coming

Thanks

Raymond~Darth_Pewee