• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial WannaCry: Its Origins, and Why Future Attacks may be Worse

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Um, you guys understand there is a back door built into almost everyone of your CPUs on a hardware level don't ya?

Also the logic of this editorial is flawed. As long as defence systems are not effected

I thought there was some unspoken rule in the military about not causing damage to your own civilian infrastructure.

I guess that logic is flawed?

Difference is they didn't protect it like the should have.

You can't ever "protect" something that will eventually be discovered elsewhere. Remember heartbleed? NSA didn't report that one either, and it did not require a leak.

AMD does it to bubba.

Latest chips have a management system, yes. No exploit known yet. But yes.

I've also been against management "security" subsystems since day one, but that's a separate argument.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
I thought there was some unspoken rule in the military about not causing damage to your own civilian infrastructure.
Says who? That's a fairy tail. Military's job is to protect the government, culture and its society. Civilians die in war. Just ask how the Russians did it in WW2 and if you think the US is any different I got a bridge to sell ya.

You can't ever "protect" something that will eventually be discovered elsewhere. Remember heartbleed? NSA didn't report that one either, and it did not require a leak.
Being discovered after its been deployed as a weapon is a mute point. It needs to be kept by non-civilians (military) and not contractors.

Latest chips have a management system, yes. No exploit known yet. But yes.

I've also been against management "security" subsystems since day one, but that's a separate argument.
If you think those were put in there at the behest of the manufacturer I got some land under that bridge Ill sell ya.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Says who? That's a fairy tail. Military's job is to protect the government, culture and its society. Civilians die in war. Just ask how the Russians did it in WW2 and if you think the US is any different I got a bridge to sell ya.

We're supposed to be different than the Russians, but maybe that's part of that bridge your selling. At any rate, as a CITIZEN of this country, I'm opposed, and very well should be to things that can damage our internal infrastructure. If your siding with the armed forces on this one on the basis that they have the right to do whatever to protect "government, culture, and society" that's very scary what road that leads to, is all I'll say.

Being discovered after its been deployed as a weapon is a mute point. It needs to be kept by non-civilians (military) and not contractors.

It's not a moot point if it causes damage to society without an internal leak. This can and has happened.

If you think those were put in there at the behest of the manufacturer I got some land under that bridge Ill sell ya.

I'm not stupid and I doubt I'd buy any of your real estate.

My point is, you seem to be arguing this behavior is acceptable and good for society. It's not. If your an everyday citizen, my point stands that none of this is any good for you.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
We're supposed to be different than the Russians, but maybe that's part of that bridge your selling. At any rate, as a CITIZEN of this country, I'm opposed, and very well should be to things that can damage our internal infrastructure. If your siding with the armed forces on this one on the basis that they have the right to do whatever to protect "government, culture, and society" that's very scary what road that leads to, is all I'll say.

It's not a moot point if it causes damage to society without an internal leak. This can and has happened.

I'm not stupid and I doubt I'd buy any of your real estate.

My point is, you seem to be arguing this behavior is acceptable and good for society. It's not. If your an everyday citizen, my point stands that none of this is any good for you.
Different than the Russians? HA! Dude if anything we have become worse than the Russians. Let me give you a few examples.

The Military takes an oath to protect the constitution. This in turn is supposed to protect its citizens. But, that doesn't mean they wont kill indiscriminately if all of our culture and society is in danger. I know they would do their best to save as many as possible but, if it came down to it they would obliterate a US town or city. Civilians and all to protect the greater good. ALL MILITARIES would. It only makes logistical sense. Let me give you a modern example.

In the 1960's there were riots in Georgia. The local police couldn't get it under control and yeah it was all race related. My father was stationed in Ft. Benning or Ft. Gordon. Not sure which. In the early evening they call got called up to gear up. My old man fresh out of boot camp had no idea what was going on. He thought the US might be under attack. Nope. Not from an invading army but, from internally. They received the orders to take back a suburb of Atlanta. Indiscriminately take the city back. They had live ammo and nothing they carried was non-lethal. That kind of stuff didn't exist in the early 60's. I'm talking full auto M-14's and jeeps with MaDuces. They were to roll out at dawn. Luckily the cops got it under control with dogs and water cannons and the military was called off. The U.S. government feared that the riots would spread and we would have nationwide civil unrest to the point of collapse as the riots were not just localized to Georgia. Things came REAL CLOSE to marshal law. I hope you don't think things are different today because they aint. That town was to be an example to the rest.

Also our largest deterrent is the biggest indiscriminate killer in the history of man. The H-Bomb. We maybe culturally different than the Russians. We tend to fight differently. But, the end goal is always the same. Win at all costs. With that being said how many launch codes have been leaked to the public? Yeah that's what I thought.

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Different than the Russians? HA! Dude if anything we have become worse than the Russians. Let me give you a few examples.

The Military takes an oath to protect the constitution. This in turn is supposed to protect its citizens. But, that doesn't mean they wont kill indiscriminately if all of our culture and society is in danger. I know they would do their best to save as many as possible but, if it came down to it they would obliterate a US town or city. Civilians and all to protect the greater good. ALL MILITARIES would. It only makes logistical sense. Let me give you a modern example.

In the 1960's there were riots in Georgia. The local police couldn't get it under control and yeah it was all race related. My father was stationed in Ft. Benning or Ft. Gordon. Not sure which. In the early evening they call got called up to gear up. My old man fresh out of boot camp had no idea what was going on. He thought the US might be under attack. Nope. Not from an invading army but, from internally. They received the orders to take back a suburb of Atlanta. Indiscriminately take the city back. They had live ammo and nothing they carried was non-lethal. That kind of stuff didn't exist in the early 60's. I'm talking full auto M-14's and jeeps with MaDuces. They were to roll out at dawn. Luckily the cops got it under control with dogs and water cannons and the military was called off. The U.S. government feared that the riots would spread and we would have nationwide civil unrest to the point of collapse as the riots were not just localized to Georgia. Things came REAL CLOSE to marshal law. I hope you don't think things are different today because they aint. That town was to be an example to the rest.

Also our largest deterrent is the biggest indiscriminate killer in the history of man. The H-Bomb. We maybe culturally different than the Russians. We tend to fight differently. But, the end goal is always the same. Win at all costs. With that being said how many launch codes have been leaked to the public? Yeah that's what I thought.
a better example would be the Detroit riots where the National Guard actually shot people. Great second hand story bro! :toast:

The train crashes here, this thread is done.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

We're "supposed" to be. I didn't say we were. But we should still strive for it.

*shrugs*

You seem to jump over my points to disprove points I don't even try to make.

With that being said how many launch codes have been leaked to the public? Yeah that's what I thought.

A launch code is different than a stack overflow or similar vulnerability. One is mathematically likely to be found within a 10 year period without any leak. The other is nearly impossible.

Last edited:
System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Well played MS well played. (Someone had to say it)