• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Want to relearn C, what book?

bob4432

Title says it all, learned C probably 15 yrs ago and never got a chance to really use it, so, well, can not program in C. Had an old book but figured there are so many technology differences between then and now, with all the different platforms, etc. I may as relearn with a strong core from this century.

My goals for your suggestions:
- Relearn good core C programming principles. I have a feeling a lot of this will come back to me, but I would like to make sure I will be guided correctly.

- I use multiple platforms, so will be programming for PC and also iOS, Android and other embedded systems where I have designed the hardware and would like to write my own code for it.

Please advise,
Bob

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
Why C? If you want to write programs for iOS or Android you'll need C++, because it's object oriented.
I never really cared for books. Official documentation and tutorials work pretty well. Always managed to find everything I need there.

Anywho here's a good place to look:

http://www.cprogramming.com/

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X570-E
Cooling NOCTUA NH-U12A
Memory G.Skill FlareX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070 DUAL
Storage 1 TB WD Black SN850X | 2 TB WD Blue SN570 | 10 TB WD Purple Pro
Display(s) LG 32QP880N 32"
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse Pulsar X2
Keyboard KIRA EXS
Title says it all, learned C probably 15 yrs ago and never got a chance to really use it, so, well, can not program in C. Had an old book but figured there are so many technology differences between then and now, with all the different platforms, etc. I may as relearn with a strong core from this century.

My goals for your suggestions:
- Relearn good core C programming principles. I have a feeling a lot of this will come back to me, but I would like to make sure I will be guided correctly.

- I use multiple platforms, so will be programming for PC and also iOS, Android and other embedded systems where I have designed the hardware and would like to write my own code for it.

Please advise,
Bob

I always found Primer book series to be good source for learning C and its derivatives. I myself own C++ Primer Plus 5th ed. and IMO it's a good book to learn the basic up to intermediate level.

C Primer : http://www.amazon.com/dp/0672326965/?tag=tec06d-20

And also, as other members pointed out, there's a lot of C resources available online.

Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Prestige X570 Creation
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum SE
Memory Kingston 32Go 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia 4090
Display(s) Asus XG27UQ + Asus PG279Q
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Power Supply Corsair RM850x White
You can have a look here : http://c.learncodethehardway.org/book/. That's a good way to start. You also have websites like stackoverflow that gives you the ability to ask programming questions.

You already got reference of few books. But I think learning through Video tutorial is much more easier than reading books. You can try on Lynda and Youtube.
You will find a lot of videos on C and C++.

System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD
Not too sure what sort of embedded devices you mean, however if its PIC's then https://www.microchip.com/CodeExamplesByFunc.aspx may be of some help. Its a list of running examples for loads of stuff. Most are written in C i believe (or at least the ones ive looked at)