• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Want to use the secondary gpu to run my Oculus Rift. Possible?

Hi,

I setup a small HTPC case running a Z270M and an MSI 1060 Gaming X. Because the case was so small I vertically mounted the 1060 using a riser cable and a flat ribbon hdmi cable to allow me to run an hdmi input to the card. Unfortunately I could not find a flat displayport or DVI cable. So heres the problem. I hooked up the Rift to the hdmi cable and using the iGpu dvi port for video but can't get picture through the hdmi cable/Rift combo. I mean the hdmi works when hooked up onto the monitor. My feeling is that the Nvidia card does not get activated because the Rift doesn't get registered as a valid display.

So was wondering is there a way to get this to work?

The only other solution right now would be to cut the case door to open up space to attach the cable but I don't like the esthetics of doing it that way.

Thank you.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
Sorry was in the car. Ok this is the deal. I bought a flat hdmi cable to route the video out port to the rear of the case so I could close the case door over the video card. As it turns out that this cable even though worked on my display panel did not work with the Oculus Rift. I discovered this by trial and error.

In any case this is how I got it to work. First you want to have a display connected to both graphic ports (gfx and igpu both enabled in bios - I set the igpu as the 1st boot device). Then I booted into Windows 10 64 and installed latest graphics drivers for both. Booted with igpu on the DVI port and set desktop properties to clone the display.
Installed Oculus software (not sure upon what port the Rift was installed).

Hooked up the Rift HDMI to my 1060 gtx and it works now without anything else plugged in viewing the desktop from my igpu dvi port.

That’s it. Will post photos later because was necessary to cut hole in top of case for Oculus hdmi to connect..

Thanks for the interest.

Edit: wasn’t driving but get dizzy typing while in a car..

Just noticed one problem. Trying to play videos on Virtual Desktop or PowerDVD doesn't work. I mean I can see the VR app in the headset but the video will not display unless 1. You removed the video cable from the iGpu. 2. You extend your display with another display plugged into the GFX card or 3. Just run the Rift and Display from the GFX card with nothing on the iGPU!

MultiMonitor mode must screw up the playback.