• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wanting to upgrade.. Really confused about the tech market ATM

System Name Air Cooled Caselabs BH8
Processor Intel Coffee Lake 8700K @ 4.7
Motherboard MSI Gaming M5
Cooling Noctua D15s, 5x 140mm Noctua Chromax, 1x 120mm Noctua Chromax, 2x 80mm Noctua fans
Memory G. Skill Trident Z RGB series 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
Storage Samsung EVO 840 250gb SSD, Samung EVO PRO 256gb SSD, 2 TB WD Black Edition HDD.
Display(s) 24" Asus Gaming ROG 144hz
Case Black Caselabs BH8
Power Supply 850w EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold PSU with individually sleeved black cables
Mouse Logitech Wireless G403
Keyboard Corsair Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Hey all. I want to completely upgrade my mini ITX system. Just got all my EKWB parts in and am ready for a new build! Transitioning back to liquid cooling for various reasons!

Per my system specs I am on the Haswell platform running DDR3 and an R9 290X which is about to be sold.

So I am torn, like most people, between Intel and AMD. I am not impressed with the Intel x299 platform from the pricing to the lack of improvement overall. I am very optimistic about AMD and find that the AM4 platform will be a smart choice based on the speculation that ~4 series of CPU's (Zen +) and so on will be compatible with the existing AM4 platform.

I am aware that Ryzen has limited OC headroom at the moment. I built my brother a 1500x gaming rig on air (EVO 212) and reached 4.0ghz.

My PC use includes gaming, multi thread usage, and a ton of school work (watch videos and listen to audio, powerpoints etc). I've noticed my PC is starting to fall behind the eight ball here. I am aware that a GPU upgrade could help with the CPU bottleneck with streaming and in game, but at this point, I would rather upgrade the socket platform with the potential for "plug and play" in the future. My CPU is OC'd to 3.8 ghz right now and DDR3 at 2400mhz. Recently, PDF's take ~ half a minute to load and scrolling can be laggy. Numerous applications open in windows causes high CPU usage. My computer has not bloatware. Anti virus is ESET.

Price is not a concern. If I do go AM4, there is only 1 option for a m ITX board which concerns me. Not impressed with the board. Intel has a ton of options but their stagnant innovation over the years seems like wasteful spending.

For a GPU thinking either a 1080Ti or Vega (if it ever comes out and if miners don't sucks retailers dry).

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name A dancer in your disco of fire
Processor i3 4130 3.4Ghz
Motherboard MSI B85M-E45
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1400Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 760 DCU2OC 2GB
Storage Crucial BX100 120GB | WD Blue 1TB x 2
Display(s) BenQ GL2450HT
Case AeroCool DS Cube White
Power Supply Cooler Master G550M
Mouse Intellimouse Explorer 3.0
Keyboard Cherry MX-Board 3.0
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores I once had +100 dorfs in DF, so yeah pretty great
At times I will have many window applications open and if I need to open a PDF it takes half a minute to load and scrolling can be laggy.
This is likely some software strangeness, depending on how you define "many" in this context and what kind of PDF it is (a book or 1GB of maps?). I can't imagine your system being behind for what you do, from how you describe it.

But if you are upgrading ... Ryzen is the way to go IMO, 1700 or 1800/x. There will probably be more mITX boards in time.

One cheap option is to snag up a Haswell i7K, if you really feel you don't have enough threads, or the amazeballs Broadwell 5775C, but finding that one will be hard.

System Name Air Cooled Caselabs BH8
Processor Intel Coffee Lake 8700K @ 4.7
Motherboard MSI Gaming M5
Cooling Noctua D15s, 5x 140mm Noctua Chromax, 1x 120mm Noctua Chromax, 2x 80mm Noctua fans
Memory G. Skill Trident Z RGB series 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
Storage Samsung EVO 840 250gb SSD, Samung EVO PRO 256gb SSD, 2 TB WD Black Edition HDD.
Display(s) 24" Asus Gaming ROG 144hz
Case Black Caselabs BH8
Power Supply 850w EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold PSU with individually sleeved black cables
Mouse Logitech Wireless G403
Keyboard Corsair Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 10
This is likely some software strangeness, depending on how you define "many" in this context and what kind of PDF it is (a book or 1GB of maps?). I can't imagine your system being behind for what you do, from how you describe it.

But if you are upgrading ... Ryzen is the way to go IMO, 1700 or 1800/x. There will probably be more mITX boards in time.

One cheap option is to snag up a Haswell i7K, if you really feel you don't have enough threads, or the amazeballs Broadwell 5775C, but finding that one will be hard.
PDF's range from Scholar Journal Articles (40+ pages), Books (large textbooks, science based), and Maps. I Should have been more specific! Describe "software strangeness" please :).

I am leaning towards Ryzen 1700. Going to have to wait for more mITX options. Really hoping MSI releases one within the next few months.

I have thought about upgrading to a Haswell i7K. I can't justify spending more money and re-seating the CPU + configuring entire loop set up on this intel platform. DDR4 and the speeds associated with it are truly tempting.

I open and read PDF's frequently throughout the day. Not sure why I am getting scroll lag. Everything is up to date (drivers, software, windows) !

System Name Small ATX Desktop
Processor Intel i5 8600K @ 4.6 GHz Core & 4.3 GHz Cache @ 1.168V
Motherboard Asrock Z370 Taichi
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE, MonoPlus, Fans: 2xThermalright TY143 / 2xCorsair SP-120L / 2xYate Loon D14BH-12
Memory G-Skill TridentZ 2X8GB DDR4 3200 CL14 F4-3200C14D-16GTZ @ 3200 14-14-14-34 2T @ 1.35V
Video Card(s) Zotac 1060 6GB Mini ZT-P10600A-10L with Arctic MonoPlus and Yate Loon D14BH-12 Fan
Storage OS Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe, Games Phison E12 NVMe 1TB, Data WD10EZEX HDD 1TB
Display(s) 2x Asus PB258Q 2560x1440 25" IPS
Case Lian Li PC A05NB (Inverted Mobo)
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATH M50X, Antlion Mod Mic 4, SYBA SD-CM-UAUD, Acoustic Research 2Ch Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic SS-660XP2 660 Watt Platinum
Mouse Zowie EC2A Mouse, Razer Naga Chroma '14, Corsair MM600, Inateck 900x300 XL pad, Tiger Gaming Skates.
Keyboard Filco Majestouch II Ninja TKL, Goldtouch GTC 0033 Ten Key, PS3 Controller
Software Win7 Pro 64 (Installed on Coffee Lake using AsRock's handy PS/2 Simulator in Bios)
Keep in mind videocards are really expensive right now because of the p2p currency bubbles, good time to sell the 290 but bad time to buy.

As far as PDF scroll lag, I kind of have that too with my Ivy which is also getting old. I don't have any lag opening the documents though, just some times it stutters as I scroll rapidly, same with complicated web pages. However, I am not sure if modern processors will fix it. IPC isn't much better with the current gen than with our older gens. Overall though I don't have many problems with running tons and tons of tabs in multiple palemoon browsers.

Personally I would keep the Haswell i5 longer and go for whatever is next around the corner, I don't think current stuff is that impressive considering how big generational jumps used to be a few years ago.

If the 5775C was a bit more affordable, like around $200, that would be a route but they go for over $380, which is insane.

Last edited: