• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Warcraft III: Reforged is the World's Worst User-Reviewed Videogame

Raevenlord

News Editor
Staff member
System Name The Ryzening
Processor Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7 GHz
Motherboard MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 120
Memory 16 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200 (2x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) TPU's Awesome MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
Storage Boot: Crucial MX100 128GB; Gaming: Crucial MX 300 525GB; Storage: Samsung 1TB HDD, Toshiba 2TB HDD
Display(s) LG 29UM68P (21:9 2560x1080 FreeSync Ultrawide)
Case NOX Hummer MC Black
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply Seasonic M12II Evo 620W 80+
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Blizzard Entertainment recently released Warcraft III: Reforged, their remastered version of the original Warcraft III. The new game saw the inclusion of the original Reign of Chaos campaign and its expansion, the Frozen Throne. This delivered a game with some 60 campaign missions, all with reworked graphics, four hours of updated in-game cutscenes and re-recorded voice-overs, alongside rebalanced online play and the addition of social and matchmaking capabilities. But paint the feature list as one can, the game's Metacritic score definitely isn't what Blizzard drawed it up to be.

The game sits with an aggregate review score of 63/100, which is already on the... very low side for such a game, I'd say. However, that score pales in comparison with the aggregate user review score, which places the game in an almost unfathomable 0.5/10... With close to 22,000 users reviewing the game already. Now, we all know that people are most critical of the things they love the most (and thus expect the most of). Bugs and a feeling of betrayal regarding the games' graphical and cutscene presentation seem to be high on the list of qualms users have with the remastered version, but I think a 0.5 score really is undeserved... I'd say most games with user scores lesser than 8/10 are actually worse experiences than this game, but who am I to judge. There's a comparison video after the break for you to check with critical eyes.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Core i5 4460
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97-D3H
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Optima
Memory 1x 8GB DDR3 @ 900Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1660 6GB OC
Storage Patriot Blast 240GB SSD; Caviar Black 500 GB; Caviar Green 1 TB
Display(s) Dell U2311H (23'' IPS)
Power Supply FSP Hyper 700
Mouse Sharkoon Fireglider
Software Win 10 Pro 64-bit
The people I know who were hyped about W3 Reforged are mostly pissed at the EULA changes, as they were more interested in mods than the base game. Modders will not touch the new game because of it

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television)
Case antec 600
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
imagine buying a Blizzard/Activision game in 2020... or 2019..... or 2018.... who in their right minds still supports these companies?

System Name Main
Processor 8700K
Motherboard Maximus Hero X
Cooling EVGA 280 CLC w/ Noctua silent fans
Memory 2x8GB 3600/16
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080TI Hybrid
The people I know who were hyped about W3 Reforged are mostly pissed at the EULA changes, as they were more interested in mods than the base game. Modders will not touch the new game because of it
Yeah that EULA is pure evil. It's funny seeing media reviews for 75 or so, makes me wonder what they got paid under the table, or whether they're just willing to smear mud over their name to get it to the top of some awful list.

Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 CL16 @ 3466 CL 14
Video Card(s) EVGA 1060 6GB SSC
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) BenQ BL2411PT
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 300
Keyboard MK Typist (Kailh Box White)
Jim Sterling is having a laugh.

This is what happens when gaming companies are overrun by business hacks with overrated MBAs who either have no damn clue how the gaming industry works or don't care. All that matters to these people are the glorified numbers on a spreadsheet that they can use to appease their shareholders in order to buy their next Ferrari.

EA, Bethesda, Epic Games, Take 2, Activision Blizzard - they are as disgusting as each other. It's a race to the bottom to see who is the worst. Blizzard destroying one of their all time classics is just one of many symptoms of just how rotten this industry has become.

For LOLs, the original classics Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne are both on 9.2 which so happens to be one of the top scores; a complete opposite to WC3 Reforged which has the lowest score. Just goes to show how far Bli$$ard has fallen.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X470-F
Cooling NOCTUA NH-U12A
Memory G.Skill FlareX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) PALIT RTX 2080 Super GRP
Storage 512 GB Samsung 850 Pro | 500GB Crucial MX500 SATA M.2 | 2 x 4 TB WD Black
Display(s) Dell U2717D
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 650W
Mouse Logitech G703 Hero
Keyboard KIRA EXS
Congratulations you have been BlizzCON-NED !!!! :D :D

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
After a very pleasing StarCraft Remastered experience I almost pre-ordered Reforged last year; glad I didn't. Will be waiting on patches and a price drop.

Processor i7 8700k 4.7Ghz @ 1.26v
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X @ 2100/5500
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Eizo Foris FG2421
Case Fractal Design Define C TG
Power Supply EVGA G2 750w
Mouse Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum
Keyboard Sharkoon MK80 (Brown)
Software W10 x64
But why on earth would you even touch this game when it looks the same as vanilla with an upscale? OK, the skybox doesn't clip anymore when you pan and tilt the camera... is that the profit here then?

This is like reinventing the wheel and then coming up with a brick, all while saying 'Look, it's probably better than what you had!'

Ten foot pole applies here, and me not touching it in the very same way.

This is what happens when gaming companies are overrun by business hacks with overrated MBAs who either have no damn clue how the gaming industry works or don't care. All that matters to these people are the glorified numbers on a spreadsheet that they can use to appease their shareholders in order to buy their next Ferrari.

EA, Bethesda, Epic Games, Take 2, Activision Blizzard - they are as disgusting as each other. It's a race to the bottom to see who is the worst. Blizzard destroying one of their all time classics is just one of many symptoms of just how rotten this industry has become.

For LOLs, the original classics Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne are both on 9.2 which so happens to be one of the top scores; a complete opposite to WC3 Reforged which has the lowest score. Just goes to show how far Bli$$ard has fallen.
Be careful with the blanket statement though.. EA, Activision, yes. Those are shareholders' companies first and gaming second, to them the games are a means to an end more than with most others. There is an agenda we don't really want to hear.

But for Ubisoft, Bethesda, Epic, Take Two.... not quite so sure. These companies DO get the memo that they need true gamer's games from time to time to keep hold of a fanbase. The problem with Blizzard is that it got torn up in China as well and there is a market ripe for the taking over there (they think), and Activision's push in this company probably puts the weight on China before catering the crowded EU/US markets, because greater profit margin and due to the type of games and scope (mobile) much lower risk.

Luckily, there is a slew of new talented devs and companies ready to take over serious gaming. Because that is for sure; there are no EA or Activision releases you can really take seriously and if you still do, the penny just hasn't dropped yet. Those CoDs and BFs... its reskin fodder and easy money, the game is irrelevant, what matters is keeping the crowd entertained and tied to franchises to milk them for more.

Ubisoft is a bit of an odd one out, sometimes you see them inch towards Acti/EA business models and then shortly after they come back on it and do a 180 towards catering gamer needs and wants. The Division, for example, but also Assassins' Creed. That franchise was dying, now its back, and people apparently love it again. Ubisoft is also very subtle with its B2P and MTX systems, they are present but they're also really easy to ignore. I think they're finding a pretty good balance like that as they go. What is clear though, very much so, is that they have a very good ear in the community and act upon it.

A very BIG thing to keep in mind when it comes to good business is this: The best business model is one where everyone feels like they win. Those are also the best deals, and the best games online when it comes to managing communities, matchmaking, etc etc. If that principle permeates a company and its games, then its almost a self fulfilling prophecy like that. Now think of cosmetic MTX and Season Passes. Everyone wins, really. Company gets to sell low-barrier of entry MTX (easy, steady and controllable income flow with continuity), or secures money up front for a Season Pass, funding dev of a new project. Consumer gets freedom of choice and lower cost of entry (F2P + MTX / Season Pass, very common, or free content updates, more choice in DLC) and his game keeps getting development time = nurturing post purchase.

Last edited:
System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 5700 XT
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
That's just a small part of it. The majority myself included didn't have 2 $hits to care about that bit considering all the other bs. They GUTTED multiplayer and some parts of the game, and if you don't want to play this objectively inferior version tough it outright replaces vanilla w3 and will even overwrite or update existing w3 installs to reforged. How could people even begin to care about mods with that mountainous pile of crap in the doorway?

D

Deleted member 158293

A few flop releases like this is good to bring game studio management back to why they are making video games in the first place... Unless lots of people bought it, then it won't change...

I would say the .05 score is more than deserved considering how much of a MASSIVE disappointment and failure the game is, how many promised features were never delivered upon, and the ones that were, are straight up downgrades from the original which is almost 20 years old at this point.

The graphics, the main selling point of any "remaster" are very mediocre, and in a lot of cases (such as the tileset) a downgrade in quality.

Add in the new EULA which decimated the custom games scene which is what WC3 is known for by forbidding copyrighted content, so no Helms deep maps, no Dota (lmao), no Naruto maps, etc. The EULA also says that if you make a game, it belongs to Blizzard period, no compensation, no warnings, nothing. Not only that but the censorship is so terrible and stupid that even the WC3 map Booty Bay is censored, and classic voice lines like the dreadlord saying "I'm a dreadlord, not a druglord!" all gone.

You also have some bizarre things such as the menu being a Chrome webapp that ends up using more resources than the game itself.

Finally, this cancerous disaster is not just contained to its own mess, if you own the classic WC3 the game forces you to use the refunded edition client which is a massive downgrade in terms of quality and features (bear in mind the client is from 2002) things like chat commands (whispering, party chat, etc) all gone. Clans? All gone.

This disaster of a game honestly makes Fallout 76 look like a well handled bug-free and controversy free game, and it hasn't even been a week.

Processor Ryzen 5 1600x @Stock
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F
Cooling Be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 'CPU', 3x Raijintek Auras 12 +3x Cooler Master MF120L non led
Memory 2x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 570 Gaming 4G 'undervolted'
Storage 1 TB WD Blue, 3 TB Toshiba P300, 120 GB WD Green 2.5 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W
Case In Win 101c Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger
Power Supply Cooler Master 650W MWE Gold
Mouse Motospeed V20
Keyboard Genius Scorpion K10
Software Windows 10 Pro
imagine buying a Blizzard/Activision game in 2020... or 2019..... or 2018.... who in their right minds still supports these companies?
I will pre order Diablo 4 box version as soon as its possible in my country.:)

I don't care about their other games/drama or whatever happens to them,I only play Diablo serie from Blizzard since thats still fun to me.

System Name Main
Processor 8700K
Motherboard Maximus Hero X
Cooling EVGA 280 CLC w/ Noctua silent fans
Memory 2x8GB 3600/16
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080TI Hybrid
One thing I haven't really seen discussed much by commentators on Youtube and elsewhere is just how draconian that EULA really is.

Imagine for a moment if a game like Stardew Valley started out as a WC3 mod (with the current EULA in effect) years before the full game came out, but it didnt' really gain any noteriety for the developer Eric "ConcernedApe" Barone. The mod doesn't ever get popular beyond a few of his friends but it was a good learning experience anyway. Then, he creates the full game Stardew Valley like he did using the same name and other story features the mod had in this scenario.

In this case, what would stop Blizzard from claiming copyright on Stardew Valley the full game, after it's got a million sales, and essentially take all of the game's profits if they felt like it?

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Eluktronics MAX-15 (2020) / AMD Custom Rig
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-9750H Processor (Coffee Lake) / AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Intel HM370 / ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
Cooling Eluktronics twin-fan and triple-copper heatpipes cooling / EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Liquid Cooler
Memory Avant Technology 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 SODIMM 2666MHz / G.SKILL TridentZ 32GB (8GBx4) F4-3200C16-8GTZR
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX 2070 Mobile 115W / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER FE + Sapphire RX 5700 XT (Reference)
Storage Crucial P1 1TB NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe M.2 + Inland Premium 2TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) LG LP156WFG-SPB2 15.6" 1080p 144 Hz panel / LG 27GL650F-B UltraGear 27" 1080p 144 Hz 1ms
Case TongFang GK5CP7Y chassis / NZXT H510i Matte White
Audio Device(s) Cooler Master MH670 / Kingston HyperX Cloud II
Power Supply Chicony Power Technology A17-230P1A 230W / Corsair RMx Series RM750x 750W
Mouse Eluktronics Luminosa PMW3389 / SteelSeries Sensei Ten
Keyboard Premium Membrane RGB Backlit Keyboard plus 10-key numeric keypad / Cooler Master CK530
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit 1909 / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1909
Thankfully I didn't pre-order this game last year. This is a big shitshow right here.

It's sad because Starcraft: Remastered, Starcraft: Cartooned and COD: Modern Warfare were pretty good releases.

Blizz's fate was sealed the moment their shareholders decided to merge them with Activision. Sad, but such is capitalism; where those who can, do, and those who can't, get MBAs and run companies into the ground.

System Name gaming
Processor Intel i7-9700k @ 4.9ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 3
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC 6G
Storage Crucial MX500, Crucial P1 NVMe, ScanDisk Ultra 3D
Display(s) Dell - SE2717HR 27" IPS LED FHD FreeSync Monitor
Case Phanteks P400A w/ Noctua fans
Audio Device(s) Klipsch pro-media 2.1 speakers
Power Supply Seasonioc Focus Plus 650w
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G15 original
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores i can finally play crysis
Blizz's fate was sealed the moment their shareholders decided to merge them with Activision. Sad, but such is capitalism; where those who can, do, and those who can't, get MBAs and run companies into the ground.
...but they are not running it into the ground. Regardless of which date you use for the launch of Activision/Blizzard (2008 when Vivendi was the holding company or 2013 when Activision bought them out whole) the stock was trading around $14-18. Right now it's at $58 from a recent high of $80 just a few years back. Therein lies the problem, those MBA are giving the masses what they want. Unfortunately for us the masses taste in games sucks and they want something "new" but just like the old one.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange!
Processor 3570K
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb + Toshiba DT01ACA300 3Tb
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w
I'd say the OP is in the minority. Look no further than the Ars Technica run down on why this release is a steaming POS and deserves contempt. To claim most games under 8/10 are worse than this garbage is a pathetic response. I wonder how on the earth the average review gives it 63/100. Blizzard really are a joke these days.

System Name GPD-Q9
Processor Rockchip RK-3288 1.8ghz quad core
Motherboard GPD Q9_V6_150528
Cooling Passive
Memory 2GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Mali T764
Storage 16GB Samsung NAND
Display(s) IPS 1024x600
Normally I would say judge a game on it's own merits. However, Blizzard has done this to themselves. Whoever is making these latest string of very bad decisions needs to be shown the door, like FAST!

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
Are these articles being written by a robot (AI) using Google Translate? Isn't someone supposed to be overseeing this, like a copy editor?

System Name GPD-Q9
Processor Rockchip RK-3288 1.8ghz quad core
Motherboard GPD Q9_V6_150528
Cooling Passive
Memory 2GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Mali T764
Storage 16GB Samsung NAND
Display(s) IPS 1024x600
Are these articles being written by a robot (AI) using Google Translate? Isn't someone supposed to be overseeing this, like a copy editor?
Would you like to elaborate in more detail? What, exactly, do you have a problem with?

System Name Bongfjaes
Processor AMD 3700x
Motherboard Assus Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MT/s CL14
Video Card(s) GTX 970
Storage Adata SX8200 Pro 1TB + Lots of spinning rust
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2268wm
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic TTR-1000
Mouse Pro Intellimouse
Keyboard SteelKeys 6G
What are you on about?, its completly deserved.

System Name This runs RE games 8)
Processor Intel Core i7-2600K
Motherboard Asrock Z68 Pro3
Memory 16GB DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Storage Sandisk 120GB SSD, 3x Kingston A400 480GB SSD, 500GB & 320GB HDDs
Display(s) Viewsonic VA2465S-3 & HP LA2306x w/ Arctic Z2 gen3
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400S
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
Power Supply Kolink Modular 600W
Mouse Logitech G400s
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well I've liked Overwatch at least from their recent games.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 2600x
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling AMD Wraith Spire I think
Memory 2 x 8GB G-skill Aegis 3000 or somesuch
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 760 DCU2OC 2GB
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Blue 1TB x 2
Display(s) BenQ GL2450HT
Case Some old Antec
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + slightly modded Sony DR-ZX302
Power Supply Fractal Design Effekt 400W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Dell Sk3205
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores I once had +100 dorfs in DF, so yeah pretty great
Yeah that EULA is pure evil. It's funny seeing media reviews for 75 or so, makes me wonder what they got paid under the table, or whether they're just willing to smear mud over their name to get it to the top of some awful list.
One could argue that the EULA isn't part of the game I guess.

edit: I wouldn't though, but otoh I rarely care for those things.

Last edited: