1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

warning about dust for every one

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by curt, Feb 15, 2007.

1. curt New Member

Thanks Received:
    my xp3000+ system my [server] was acting rillly funny blue screens freezing an then stoped going to windows screen would just go blank so i reinstalled windows rebooted 2 times maby black screen agean [tryed] changen [ram] [psu] an [video] same prob so i was like WTF so i took the mobo out an cleaned it well with paint brush an a pipe cleaner for the small spots

wasint alot of dust rilly not evin enuf to block the heat sink at all any way after the cleaning

its bin runnen like new just in case some one thinks they got a dead board when they dont

ram an video cards ar allso bitchy about dust

and just for added info samsung ram sucks lol

mistry ddr400 bga chips 263mh max stable ddr526mh [dam] 240mh at 2.5.3.3.6

infinion ddr400 221mh max stable

samsung ddr400 144mh max stable ? both at timens of 3.3.3.8

ther both 512mb sticks as well

all i can say is ouch

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dust accumulation is a BIG problem in modern PC's, especially overclocked ones that are on the edge of effective cooling. My advice is to always oversize your cooling... or based on your max overclock... always dial back the OC for regular use so not to hit that problem.

If you were having problems in the Winter... imagine what the summer will bring.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Dust, kills...

:(

* I run my case next to me, wide open, so I can catch it before it gets "outta control" & acts like an insulator...

APK

P.S.=> Hard part is between CPU & vidcard heatsink fins... need compressed air for that, if not taking the parts out & hand-cleaning INTENSELY!

LOL, back in 1994, I was still in college for my 2nd degree in this field, & lucked out to a PC-Repair tech type job (field tech for IKON)... I was in some gov't. offices & had to open up an old IBM Ps/2 to fix it, & the DUST BUNNIES THAT CAME OUT WERE AS BIG AS SOFTBALLS... it was packed almost SOLID w/ dust!

No wonder it broke! apk

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. curt New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol

heat is the least of my probs

nice lol yeas some companys dient evin know to clean them back then

all 3 of my comps run open on a case back plate

an a chiller system thet at room temp with out the chiller running i put my propine blow torch up to my cpu block on full an it couldent warm it up over 40c with the water/antyfreez flowin

of corse it wasent on a comp when i did the torch test i was trying to use my cooler as a room heater lol dosent work lmao

after like 5 houres of running my amd 64 3800 can hit like 35c on the water/af with no fans running then it add some heat till the fans cool it off

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Dust is a problem. Of course, it doesnt help that at our house, the carpet is the source of alot of our dust. Should just go hardwood throughout the whole house...

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. curt New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey

i agrea hard wood floors would be better for a comp room or evin tile allso smoking an burning of insence an other things contribute once i had a direct out side air line to my cpu an never seamed to get dust was blocked with fly bodys instead eww lol

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    we could sell the dust to the fat fighters club as a healthy snack :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. k0rn_h0li0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah dust is a pain in the ass. do you guys know where to buy filters and tutorials on how to cut holes in your system to add extra fans?

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. cdawall

cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    mine never has an issue on my AMD its in a room with wood floors and sits in a corner no dust highspeed fans and all but if i walk into the carpeted room and check my pentium d the f#cker is full of dust and it has less/ slower fans in

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. macawman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Computer dust build up reducers

1. put the computer two or more feet off the floor.

2. keep the windows to the computer room closed.

3. vaccum the computer area at least once a month.

4. blow out the computer every six months.

5. use a computer case with an intake filter.

Your dust problems are solved unless you live in a desert or have a bunch of shedding cats. :banghead:

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    Don't smoke around them either. You should see the tar the builds up in there.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Dust is a killer for Graphic Cards, especially the one with single slot cooling.
    The whole thing can get block up in time.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. curt New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey

thows fan filter cover work great for case fans but for ppl like me who dun run a case

bigges reson is thers no case temp its room temp and all parts get fresh air all the time pritty much

an evin thow my room is the main smokin room in the house the dont get as bad as some if seen come in at the shop i work at

some ar so bad the dust is cooked on the heat sink from the heat in built up from no air flow

many cooked video cards with seased fans some i can revive some ar gone

all so many mobo.s with burnt MOF.SETS/north brige chips /an alot of south brige chips

i mad heat sink them all an works so far never had a death do to heat yeat

im allso workin on a way to dust an pritty much water proof a mother board i had it workin but turned out my 3 days of work sealed a drop of water in side the cpu socket from cleaning in side :banghead: mobo fryed nforce2 400 board to :( ill try agean

[note] proffing doen after all heat sink mods

i was useing a combo of deck sealer/hot glue gun an slear window sealeru could litraly dump a cup of water on it an wouldent do crap of cores id have to do all the parts for it to be perfict so im puttin together a p3 500 or sumthin to try agean an ill do the hole comp [if it works as well as im hopen ill be puttin up a pic of a mobo submersed ]but have the psu hd.s an cd rom out if sucses fully got a few case fans to fun long ter under anty freez usen them as disrupters to keep the water/af moveing no caroshion nothin long as i seal them good

for some reson eletric stuff carodes alot faster in anty freez then in streat water

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
    10 Year Member at TPU
  14. Scavar

Scavar New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only reason I actually like the window on my case is because I can see dust. I vaccuum my room like once every week or so, and I vacuum the outside of the case as well when I do this. It's getting ready for me to do a good compressed air cleaning though.

I use to use the aircans, and they work good for somethings......until you turn it upside down.....screw flamethrowers, I have freezethrowers...

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    unfortunatley, i end up blowing out dust once every 2 weeks or so. carpeted room, 2 cats, 1 dog, all shed. bah.

i have a 120mm fan running on a 80mm slot w/ an adapter. it sucks down a TON of air, and i get this little thin guazy layer of dust over the intake grille after a week or so. disgusting, imo, but they aren't my pets.

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. curt New Member

Thanks Received:
    a thout

i just thout to tell every one if u wana save your self some hassle dont get turbine/blower style fans wile they some times work a lil better thows fins ar a bugger to clean u pritty much need to doo them 1 by 1

they might work well if u can get an easy clean filter or sumthin for long term

i can never seam to get my pics down to 190k they start at 1.7 mb so heres a zip with 2 pics of a fan/blower i have thats a real pain to clean y im not usen it plus its a bit nosie at full rpm

i melted the cone off for better air flow gained about 200-300 rpm to

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
    10 Year Member at TPU