• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Warranty replacement with used parts?

Raw

System Name it's a computer
Processor INTEL i5-2500K OC'ed @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Z68-V DELUXE Gen3
Cooling NOCTURA NH-C14
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SSC 4GB
Storage Intel® Solid-State Drive 730 Series SSDSC2BP240G4R5 2.5" 240GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC
Display(s) SAMSUNG 24HD Model # 2494 Sync Master
Case CM HAF 922
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Gold AX850 Full Modular
Software Windows 10
What a dunce I can be at times. I never looked closely at the warranty information on most of my computer parts purchased. I will start looking closely from now on when I buy stuff.
I've never really has RMA issues with most stuff. Maybe 2-3 in my pc lifetime.

Anyways, I was surprised at the Asus Warranty for a Z68 motherboard I purchased in November, 2011.
The warranty only covers a rebuild of a bad part or a replacement item that has previously been rebuilt by Asus.
I can not get a new item from them.
I was told by RMA support that's the way it is. NO new. No matter what, no new.
I was surprised. I really was.
What if they can't repair mine? What then? And if they send me a reworked replacement mobo how do I know what that things been through? How can I know if all 3 PCI-E slots work in tri-sli mode having only 1 video card?
How can I truly test the replacement for all functions?

My P8Z68 -V PRO/GEN 3 board lost a PCI Express slot yesterday, the good 16X slot. The blue one.
My video card will not work in that slot. It does work in the other 2 slots, both which are slower (8X and 4X).

So, does anyone know of a different manufacturer with a better warranty, that would replace bad parts with new parts?

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
What a dunce I can be at times. I never looked closely at the warranty information on most of my computer parts purchased. I will start looking closely from now on when I buy stuff.
I've never really has RMA issues with most stuff. Maybe 2-3 in my pc lifetime.

Anyways, I was surprised at the Asus Warranty for a Z68 motherboard I purchased in November, 2011.
The warranty only covers a rebuild of a bad part or a replacement item that has previously been rebuilt by Asus.
I can not get a new item from them.
I was told by RMA support that's the way it is. NO new. No matter what, no new.
I was surprised. I really was.
What if they can't repair mine? What then? And if they send me a reworked replacement mobo how do I know what that things been through? How can I know if all 3 PCI-E slots work in tri-sli mode having only 1 video card?
How can I truly test the replacement for all functions?

My P8Z68 -V PRO/GEN 3 board lost a PCI Express slot yesterday, the good 16X slot. The blue one.
My video card will not work in that slot. It does work in the other 2 slots, both which are slower (8X and 4X).

So, does anyone know of a different manufacturer with a better warranty, that would replace bad parts with new parts?

They will give you a new part after your third RMA to Asus. Has to be the same part. "New" being with full warranty.

Reactions: Raw

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I got a bad dual-socket server board that had a bad RAM slot from Asus.
They sent me a new board, BNIB.

I wouldn't worry to much about it, a refurbed board is most likely going to be tested in the same QC department as new boards (unless they farm out repair to another country or something).

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Has been the "standard" for years. Got used boards from DFI, Abit, Asus, and GB over the years. As TMM says , with Asus they work on a "lemon law". If they cant solve it in 3 tries, you get a BNIB replacement. DFI would just upgrade you to a better used board (one with more features). GPUs will have a similar replacement. I don't remember RMA-ing a card and ever getting one BNIB as a returned card, they were all used refurbs as well.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Damn, I've got one of those boards, bought at around the same time. I hope mine doesn't play up like that. Hope you get it sorted ok. The BNIB policy sounds encouraging.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
It doesn't really matter if you get BNIB as long as the replacement works 100%.
You will still get the remainder of your warranty period either way.
Maybe I'm just not that fussy about stuff as long as it works and is reliable. (shrug)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
It doesn't really matter if you get BNIB as long as the replacement works 100%.
You will still get the remainder of your warranty period either way.
Maybe I'm just not that fussy about stuff as long as it works and is reliable. (shrug)

Yeah, I can understand that. Think about insurance policies: they pay out less the older the protected something is. In this case though, imagine your new board dies after just 6 weeks, but your replacement is some obviously used part, you're not going to be happy at having effectively paid top dollar for a used part, regardless of whether it works properly or not.

In my view, companies should always replace with new, even right at the end of the warranty period, as part of good customer service and to keep punters coming back to them. What's that, you've just seen pigs fly? :laugh:

Raw

Cooling NOCTURA NH-C14
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Storage Intel® Solid-State Drive 730 Series SSDSC2BP240G4R5 2.5" 240GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC
Case CM HAF 922
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Windows 10
Thanks for all the input guys.
I guess it is what it is.

I'm not sure I'll RMA it at this time, I am doing some testing to see if the 2nd. 8X slot seems or feels slower than the first or primary 16X slot.
Not in benchmark programs, in real life applications and games.
So far today I don't feel any difference at all.
My frame rates are all the same in games like COD BO (125fps pretty much steady) and Dirt 3 (60fps pretty much steady)

Last edited:

Raw

Cooling NOCTURA NH-C14
Case CM HAF 922
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Windows 10
Lost a PCI Express 16X slot

Well, here's an update. I was reading in one of the other posts and I saw something called "advance replacement" with Asus.
I was interested and didn't realize that option was even available.
So, I called Asus and got to speak to a person who could speak good English (a big plus for me...lol) and I explained my situation with my P8Z68 -V PRO/GEN 3 board that lost a PCI Express slot, the good 16X slot. The blue one.

After asking him about the advance replacement method I decided to go with that.
This way I am not down for 4 weeks waiting for a board.
He will ship to me, hold my credit card info, and I will ship the faulty board back.
After Asus receives the bad board and determines that it is indeed a Asus problem, they will credit my card back.

Now, I think that is a great way to handle this and I am once again a happy Asus camper!