• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Waste Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Ya lost me at us being responsible for volcanoes and how terrible storms are when they have been terrible and killed millions of us, its just that we didn't have the internet or 24 hour news to pump fear into our brains. They are trying to go to Mars as proof that we can, its our exploration spirit, not that we are ruining our planet and they better run off to another one, they want to be famous and remembered, they want to do something no one else has done and will ever do again.
All I am saying is that the Volcanic activity could be a result of the Water Vapour problem.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
All I am saying is that the Volcanic activity could be a result of the Water Vapour problem.

I'm dying to hear this explanation. You have the floor and my attention.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
I do, it was more of a point at how extreme a fact can be presented.

We know the air temperature is rising, but do we really know what effect its having on a specific storm at a specific time with all other variables accounted for? Are power plants to blame and will the move to nuclear base load VS the CO2 savings be enough with waste heat still being generated? Will solar and solar alone be the only viable option to prevent waste heat? I want to fund and pursue it, there is no reason we shouldn't be asking and researching all the options, but I don't want confirmation bias or any other bias to get in the way. We have heard way too many theories presented as fact about when we will all die in a catastrophe due to climate change especially when its presented to the masses.
I'd like for them to explain a few things as to how things were in the past and then to correlate that with how things were in recent history and THEN to how things are today.

Do remember scientists say waaaaaaay back in the day when the dinosaurs roamed, the earth was much warmer and volcanic activity was also greater - At least it's depicted that way in references to that time period.
You already had the heat present with volcanoes spewing the really nasty stuff on a constant basis (According to these depictions) which would, according to them and based on what these gasses are according to volcanology/vulcanology (Both terms are correct BTW - I checked that), adding to what should have been a runaway freight train greenhouse effect....
Which apparently never happened based on the science if it's correct.

We cooled down instead.

More recent history has us going through a 10,000 year ice age that literally dug out and created the Great Lakes for example as one of the effects of said ice age.
Later on things warmed up again, then went back to a cooler state which we call the "Mini-Ice Age", that period of time only being from a few centuries ago to sometime in the 20th century - Then we warmed up again to the present day.

So - How did things get from really hot and nasty to really frigid cold, then warm, then cold yet again?
Even I have noticed things aren't as cool as they were before during my time here, having lived from a period when we had some colder winters to what doesn't really seem like winter so much anymore. I still remember freezing my literal ass off waiting on the bus in the morning in wintertime but these days it's not so bad out if I had to now.

It's also a proven fact, not fiction a volcanic eruption can have the opposite effect from what you'd think based on the gasses released and the amounts that are ejected... Massive amounts of some nasty stuff that are supposedly responsible for contributing to global warming.... And yet we cool down instead?

Think Krakatoa (1883) and the effects that it had world-wide, it's all factually documented.

I've always have and still believe there are too many factors in play for man, by himself to be a significant factor in what happens here even now. That doesn't mean we're not having an effect period, it's just I seriously doubt we have that much sway vs what nature can do if it wants to and I believe we're just on an upward temp trend again, per usual by nature as before.

Feel free of course to believe what you want because I do, I dare say as much too and that's fair enough.

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
The Earth has gone through and will go through many different climates and it will be fine, until the sun starts to expand into a red giant
The question is, if humans will survive our own undoing with the planet and the climate. I for one would like to leave something behind for my children and potential grandchildren something as good or better than what I got.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I watched it before this, it is clickbait. There are so many processes not accounted for, like as the temp rises more moisture will cause more clouds which are the overwhelming driving force in reflecting heat. https://climatekids.nasa.gov/cloud-climate/ Here is a kids version from Nasa. Factors like as the temp rises more infrared radiation will escape. Factors like as the temp rises the atmosphere will swell and we have data about what that causes short term but not long term.

From the linked source:

Clouds play an important role in both warming and cooling our planet. Clouds give us a cooler climate on Earth than we would enjoy without clouds. However, as Earth’s climate warms, we won’t always be able to count on this cooling effect.

Climate scientists predict that as Earth’s climate warms, there will also be fewer clouds to cool it down. So, unfortunately, we can’t count on clouds alone to slow down the warming.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
We can all agree that Earth's Glaciers are melting. What they teach us in Grade 7 Science is that Water has 3 processes. Think to yourself what amount of a Glacier being reduced by 40% that is a mile long and deep how much vapour in evaporation has been pumped into the atmosphere? Add the Poles and the increased cloud deck. Then look at Weather events over the last 20 years. We see now that Wind from the Arctic is strong enough to have a drastic effect on the Jet stream. There is a user on here from Winnipeg and I am sure he can tell you about the 4 day Snowstorm that hit that region last May. In fact there is so much Water Vapour in the upper atmosphere that California's Greed based drought has pretty much been rectified in 2 months. So let's think about about what I just said, 30 years of Drought mitigated in 2 Months of Rain. Let's look back to the Teens and see 3 Fully formed Hurricanes in the Atlantic basin. That is important because that is not Scientifically probable given the volume of Water in the Atlantic. What about Hurricane Sandy that hit America at Kitty Hawk, Charleston and Manhattan at the same time. In recent times the State of Indiana was flooded but in this time in Space Pakistan is dealing with unprecedented flooding. The Northern part of Earth was so stable that we had isms to describe the Seasons. March comes in like a lion and Goes out like a Lamb, April Showers bring May flowers. That is not true anymore (as much) and every part of Earth where man lives has had a 100+ mm rain event in 30 minutes to an hour in the last 15 years.

Meanwhile if you do a Google search on Volcanoes being active in the last 20 years you will see an increase in the frequency of Volcanoes in the last 20 years. That brings me back to the Jet stream. It is my Opinion that the Wind that comes from the Arctic is laced with Water Vapour and therefore has more inertia than the regular Wind. Indeed for me Polar Vortexes are exactly that. Remember the one in 2011 or 12 that made if -27C in Miami, Florida for a few days. That has allowed for one part of Canada to be -25 C on the same day where the other side is 12 C. This is not fiction that I am speaking but real events. I spent some time living in the Southern US and the first time I saw Rain in Louisiana I was impressed. I have seen that same rain in Toronto and we are no where near an Ocean.

I believe that Earth has it's own engine and process. We have used Math to send a probe to Pluto but too few of us appreciate the jewel that is Earth but also Organic engine. There was some historic Flooding in Australia and the reporter had the video image of a Street corner where the only human thing visible was the roofs and the very top of a Stop sign. As he was describing the Tragic loss of property a loon swims across the screen oblivious to the Human suffering. I have also seen that Earth does not stop in Organics production. If you live in the Northern Hemisphere I am sure you Marvel how one day everything is just Green. The thing is I remember when the Grass would also go brown. It has been my reflection that the Grass on my Front yard has been Green for more than 365 Days straight. As thanks to the Water Vapour we had no Winter where I live in 2022. It even helped the Conflict that is going on in the Ukraine in a more humane way than we Humans could do.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
We can all agree that Earth's Glaciers are melting. What they teach us in Grade 7 Science is that Water has 3 processes. Think to yourself what amount of a Glacier being reduced by 40% that is a mile long and deep how much vapour in evaporation has been pumped into the atmosphere? Add the Poles and the increased cloud deck. Then look at Weather events over the last 20 years. We see now that Wind from the Arctic is strong enough to have a drastic effect on the Jet stream. There is a user on here from Winnipeg and I am sure he can tell you about the 4 day Snowstorm that hit that region last May. In fact there is so much Water Vapour in the upper atmosphere that California's Greed based drought has pretty much been rectified in 2 months. So let's think about about what I just said, 30 years of Drought mitigated in 2 Months of Rain. Let's look back to the Teens and see 3 Fully formed Hurricanes in the Atlantic basin. That is important because that is not Scientifically probable given the volume of Water in the Atlantic. What about Hurricane Sandy that hit America at Kitty Hawk, Charleston and Manhattan at the same time. In recent times the State of Indiana was flooded but in this time in Space Pakistan is dealing with unprecedented flooding. The Northern part of Earth was so stable that we had isms to describe the Seasons. March comes in like a lion and Goes out like a Lamb, April Showers bring May flowers. That is not true anymore (as much) and every part of Earth where man lives has had a 100+ mm rain event in 30 minutes to an hour in the last 15 years.

Meanwhile if you do a Google search on Volcanoes being active in the last 20 years you will see an increase in the frequency of Volcanoes in the last 20 years. That brings me back to the Jet stream. It is my Opinion that the Wind that comes from the Arctic is laced with Water Vapour and therefore has more inertia than the regular Wind. Indeed for me Polar Vortexes are exactly that. Remember the one in 2011 or 12 that made if -27C in Miami, Florida for a few days. That has allowed for one part of Canada to be -25 C on the same day where the other side is 12 C. This is not fiction that I am speaking but real events. I spent some time living in the Southern US and the first time I saw Rain in Louisiana I was impressed. I have seen that same rain in Toronto and we are no where near an Ocean.

I believe that Earth has it's own engine and process. We have used Math to send a probe to Pluto but too few of us appreciate the jewel that is Earth but also Organic engine. There was some historic Flooding in Australia and the reporter had the video image of a Street corner where the only human thing visible was the roofs and the very top of a Stop sign. As he was describing the Tragic loss of property a loon swims across the screen oblivious to the Human suffering. I have also seen that Earth does not stop in Organics production. If you live in the Northern Hemisphere I am sure you Marvel how one day everything is just Green. The thing is I remember when the Grass would also go brown. It has been my reflection that the Grass on my Front yard has been Green for more than 365 Days straight. As thanks to the Water Vapour we had no Winter where I live in 2022. It even helped the Conflict that is going on in the Ukraine in a more humane way than we Humans could do.

It's important to remember Mars was clearly like Earth in the past too, it probably had its own balance mechanisms in place, as that is inherently built into physics, but won't ultimately protect everything, and sometimes things just fail.

I think the biggest issue we face regarding waste heat will be when the permafrost melts in Canada and Russia. From what I understand, it has been permanently frozen, trapping in all the methane for thousands of years. Once it thaws and releases the methane in massive amounts, that is when climate shift truly will take place.

I think a lot of people get it wrong when they say humans are causing the climate shift, what they should instead say is humans are causing the planet enough to warm that the permafrost is melting, and when that melts, you can kiss stable food supply for 8 billion people goodbye. Expect mass famine. For billions.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
I'm not sure about the whole volcano thing but I do know storms are recorded as being more intense in recent years. And not minorly so.

For sure, and for every study or paper with supporting evidence there is one that claims the opposite.
This is why peer review matters, of course.

Clouds can absolutely be greenhouse-like agents. Look at Venus.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.

We get Arctic blasts in Montana during the winter and spring, it happens more on La Nina years, which is controlled by the ocean temps and winds, we are going out of La Nina right into a El Nino season so the deep polar vortexes should stop and we should get more mild summer temps and more precipitation, and possibly very strong storms.

Speaking to the overall weather, I lived in Colorado most of my life and I remember as a kid there were years where the peaks would have snow year round, and as an adult camping there was years with no real snow at 10,000 ft in October. Here in MT there have been delayed ski seasons from lack of snow. We are certainly changing the weather some, but its hard if not impossible to blame just humanity, the change does drive some storms to be stronger, we also have more people and "property" to damage so the storms that once may have torn up a farm and some trees now decimate a town or city. As far as how much the intensity of the storms at their peak, there have been records of severe storms in Montana from the tribes, even our records show in 1930's there were days in December where it was in the 60F to 70F range, well before CO2 could be blamed directly. But I do agree the extremes are trending towards the 2000's so the weather is changing, and its correlated with higher CO2 in the atmosphere, and humans are mostly to blame for that, some might be natural but we are the 99%. The question is what do we do about it, we can't just stop flying (more efficient than driving for the most part) , driving, moving goods like food. We can't stop the development of countries that need infrastructure to raise their people out of poverty. We need to find ways to manage our consumption, and the biggest issue I see if the loudest voices are the most guilty, private planes, sports cars, yachts, mansions, wasteful eccentric splurging while wagging their finger at the average person, I think most of them don't want the average person to use up the limited supply of petrol products and easily extract-able resources, it explains their whole lifestyle of all for them and a little or none for anyone they don't consider their equal.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
but its hard if not impossible to blame just humanity
About wording phrases, you are playing that game here. Of course it is hard to EXCLUSIVELY blame humanity but no one is trying to do that. What isn't hard is naming them as the chief agent for the recent drastic change.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
About wording phrases, you are playing that game here. Of course it is hard to EXCLUSIVELY blame humanity but no one is trying to do that. What isn't hard is naming them as the chief agent for the recent drastic change.

In all fairness, he does specifically say this:

and humans are mostly to blame for that, some might be natural but we are the 99%.

after the other comments. In context, the latter statement moderates the first.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
In all fairness, he does specifically say this:

after the other comments. In context, the latter statement moderates the first.
That I missed, thanks.

Low quality post by Lei

Lei

Processor 3900x - Bykski waterblock
Motherboard MSI b450m mortar max BIOS Date 27 Apr 2023
Cooling αcool 560 rad - 2xPhanteks F140XP
Memory Micron 32gb 3200mhz ddr4
Video Card(s) Colorful 3090 ADOC active backplate cooling
Storage WD SN850 2tb ,HP EX950 1tb, WD UltraStar Helioseal 18tb+18tb
Display(s) 24“ HUION pro 4k 10bit
Case aluminium extrusions copper panels, 60 deliveries for every piece down to screws
Audio Device(s) sony stereo mic, logitech c930, Gulikit pro 2 + xbox Series S controller, moded bt headphone 1200mAh
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse pen display, no mouse no click
Keyboard Microsoft aio media embedded touchpad (moded lithium battery 1000mAh)
Software Win 11 23h2 build 22631
Benchmark Scores cine23 20000
Did you know putting your phone on dark mode saves energy?
Also if no one calls you, you can turn airplane mode on. Your wifi still works.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
'Simple'. Send the heat
TO SPACE

(Potentially Practical) 'passive' solution:

Optimal 'active' Solution:

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
I need to heat a swimming pool with the amount of waste heat these folding cards and PSUs are putting out.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
By that reasoning ozone can have no significant effect...
That is ignoring the simple fact that like Sulpher ,Ozone goes high and fast , co2 is a mixer, and some gasses lay low.

But this dynamic impacts it's effect, and required ratios.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
So you agree that reasoning by low % is not sufficient.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
So you agree that reasoning by low % is not sufficient.
Yeah absolutely, just wanted to nudge that Sulpher point home :) because to be honest I have my own theory on global warming:D Sulpher , it forms a growing layer very high up, cars used to emit significant amounts of sulpher and lead.
Now we have the explosion of rocketry and aviation instead.
I accept, I could be wrong, given history though, ,Scientists should also accept they too could be wrong.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
For info- thread is about waste heat. Not gases.

Don't get derailed.

Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
When I said my absorption fridge is more efficient than an electric one because it burns the fuel right at home instead of at a power plant 3 years ago.

You burn the fuel and it creates heat, the heat causes a chemical reaction that lowers the temperature of the container. With electric fridges the fuel burns at a plant, then power gets to your house and moves the motor, which still creates heat to work, therefore it's less efficient. By what % I don't know, there's still the process of extracting petrol and refining it into kerosene but you skip the part where it burns somewhere else.
So I'm creating 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000001% less waste heat.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
When I said my absorption fridge....
You had me at Absorption Refrigerator. No pun intended, that ancient tech is cool stuff.

Modern CAD, AI/MI modeling, and materials-advancements have (at least on paper, and in single-unit demos) produced some surprising advances in efficiency.

While it's merely tangential to the discussion:
I do believe that looking backwards in technology, while utilizing new tools and materials will be instrumental in creating the pro-human future we need.

All this talk of waste heat and neo-retrotech, immediately brings to mind modern industrial steam powered machinery.
Something very related to the discussion (and on-the-horizon) are Heat Pumps capable of 'upgrading steam quality' using waste heat from separate industrial processes. Until recently, the idea of a truly high-temperature heat pump, had mostly been relegated to fiction (like BattleTech, etc.)...

Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
All this talk of waste heat and neo-retrotech, immediately brings to mind modern industrial steam powered machinery.
Something very related to the discussion (and on-the-horizon) are Heat Pumps capable of 'upgrading steam quality' using waste heat from separate industrial processes. Until recently, the idea of a truly high-temperature heat pump, had mostly been relegated to fiction (like BattleTech, etc.)...
So..... boiling water, but faster.

You had me at Absorption Refrigerator. No pun intended, that ancient tech is cool stuff.

Modern CAD, AI/MI modeling, and materials-advancements have (at least on paper, and in single-unit demos) produced some surprising advances in efficiency.
Mine is from the 50's, a must-have though as power goes out often for weeks during summer so we must have an alternative to the regular fridge. Running a generator for too long is costly and we were only using it for the lights anyway so I set up a small solar circuit with a battery that can run 12 volt lights for some hours, inverter was a complete rip-off so I skipped it, plus the circuit with the inverter would've been more complicated than what I did.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Ancient Tech? 1850 is a long time ago, but hardly ancient.

Low quality post by TheinsanegamerN
System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I heard that in 500 years we'll manage to drive ourselves to extinction by breathing, because breathing releases CO2, you see. We cant always count on the effects of photosynthesis, especially as the planet will be 1F hotter by then, plants may not even grow!

Now, please pay me $5000 and watch this video I put out explaining why you breathing is killing our planet and you you personally can put a stop to this menace!

Status
Not open for further replies.