• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Watch Dogs Legion Benchmark Test & Performance Analysis

System Name Home
Processor 5950x
Motherboard Asrock Taichi x370
Cooling Thermalright True Spirit 140
Memory Patriot 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 10gb
Storage Too many to count
Display(s) U2518D+u2417h
Case Chieftec
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply seasonic prime 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10
On PC - you need a 1000$ GPU to play the game maxed out
Console - PS5 400$ and you are good to go
This is insane, both Amd and Nvidia are charging way too much money for a GPU.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Dear lord these comments are pathetic….like...why are you guys even here....

Take a look at (EDIT) Digital Foundry's recent vid on watchdogs, you might learn something and appreciate stuff a bit more...

And lets not forget that "graphics" are completely arbitrary, this is purely a mindgame where people think "if my latest 800 dollar gpu cant do Ultra on this game then clearly the game is dogsh*t", seemingly not realizing that the devs could have just as easily called their current medium settings Ultra and voila, eveyone can max it! praise the devs right?
Thought we all appreciated Crysis nowadays, some seemingly took a bit longer to understand this but in the end we are all ok with it pushing the boundries right?

Here is a game that pushes something we all want to see, progress, ray tracing, and then they get scolded because it "shockingly" is pretty heavy to run....its almost as if Real Time Ray Tracing hasnt been a thing until now because its heavy to run or something….

And hell this is only reflections AND those are even aided/suplimented by standard Space Screen Reflections, we are not even talking shadows and actual lighting yet here.

This comment is beyond silly, how did you end up on this forum with such a rediculous mindset.
Does anyone really have to explain this to you? seriously?

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus (Wi-Fi)
Cooling Cryorig H7
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB + 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 6700 XT GAMING OC
Storage WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe SSD + Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Gigabyte G27QC
Case NZXT H510 Flow
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Prime
Power Supply Corsair RM650x Gold 650W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Cherry MX Blue
Software Windows 11 Pro

Take a look at Global Foundry's recent vid on watchdogs, you might learn something and appreciate stuff a bit more...

And lets not forget that "graphics" are completely arbitrary, this is purely a mindgame where people think "if my latest 800 dollar gpu cant do Ultra on this game then clearly the game is dogsh*t", seemingly not realizing that the devs could have just as easily called their current medium settings Ultra and voila, eveyone can max it! praise the devs right?
Thought we all appreciated Crysis nowadays, some seemingly took a bit longer to understand this but in the end we are all ok with it pushing the boundries right?

Here is a game that pushes something we all want to see, progress, ray tracing, and then they get scolded because it "shockingly" is pretty heavy to run....its almost as if Real Time Ray Tracing hasnt been a thing until now because its heavy to run or something….

And hell this is only reflections AND those are even aided/suplimented by standard Space Screen Reflections, we are not even talking shadows and actual lighting yet here.

This comment is beyond silly, how did you end up on this forum with such a rediculous mindset.
Thank you!

I’ve always thought of “Ultra” settings for a game to be the absolute limits of that game which push the boundaries of the game engine. Great for reviews like this, and meant to make the latest cards absolutely bleed and push the industry along.

In real world practice, “High” or “Medium” is what you should be looking at playing at, depending on your card. In a lot of the games I play the visual difference between “High” and “Ultra” is negligible, but the performance difference can be massive depending on the game, and that’s how it should be for the reason I stated in my first paragraph.

In PC gaming we have the option to tweak settings based on our configuration, it’s not just a matter of blasting every setting to the max and expecting everything to run perfectly fine.

I see DLSS is still smearing jelly on graphics. Dismal performance for how mediocre the models look.

Interesting results. The game has built-in benchmark. I think you used that Wizzard. How did Hilbert at Guru3D got 65 fps average with the 3090 while you got only 56? That's a 16% difference which is huge. Also, RX 5700 was beating the RTX 2070 in every resolution both on very high and ultra by 3 to 9% (on 4K, they were on par) while in your benchmarks, the RTX 2070 was 5, 11 and 15% faster than the RX 5700 in the 3 resolutions

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Interesting results. The game has built-in benchmark. I think you used that Wizzard. How did Hilbert at Guru3D got 65 fps average with the 3090 while you got only 56? That's a 16% difference which is huge.
Cmon .. please check the conclusion

Edit: Amazed how people can still miss this. I made extra sure this time to avoid such comments .. it's also mentioned in each of the charts

Edit: Amazed how people can still miss this. I made extra sure this time to avoid such comments .. it's also mentioned in each of the charts
Ok, you had the high res pack, they didn't. Got it, ty. :)

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Ok, you had the high res pack, they didn't. Got it, ty. :)
While other publications are testing using the integrated benchmark, I found that to be way too optimistic for what actual gameplay runs at. For example, with GeForce RTX 3080 at 1080p, the integrated benchmarks runs at 106 FPS, while actual gameplay sits at around 85 FPS—a huge difference. Now, you of course could argue that not all gameplay happens in the open world, and that indoors areas run higher FPS

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
54 fps on $1500 GPU? What a joke! No matter how fast hardware gets, it can't save us from abysmal port running like S***.

The "port" is running on X86-64 hardware. Perhaps the new 5000 series Ryzen CPUs and 6900XT will perform better with their new cache..

System Name Home
Processor 5950x
Motherboard Asrock Taichi x370
Cooling Thermalright True Spirit 140
Memory Patriot 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 10gb
Storage Too many to count
Display(s) U2518D+u2417h
Case Chieftec
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply seasonic prime 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10
Take a look at Global Foundry's recent vid on watchdogs, you might learn something and appreciate stuff a bit more...

You mean Digital foundry ?
Explain why my comment is silly ? beyond the bullshit we are all enthusiasts here and willing to throw money at Nvidia and Amd and be dazzeled by reflections and oh my how good are the graphics.
They are not, they are still cartoonish and all the marketing crap mean nothing when you can get the same thing for 400$ in one place and for 3000$ in another place (decent desktop PC)
It's just that simple, consoles are superior to PC's for games, cheaper, better, much more games and better.
Buy a console for games and buy a PC for work, a "gaming" GPU costs more than a console.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

Words are hard. Harder for some.

System Name AMD RyZen PC
Processor AMD RyZen 5950x
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero 570x WIFI
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 64GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 MHz 14C x4
Video Card(s) Evga 3080 TI
Storage Seagate 8TB + 3TB + 4TB + 2TB external + 512 Samsung 980
Display(s) LG 4K 144Hz 27GN950-B
Case Thermaltake CA-1F8-00M1WN-02 Core X71 Tempered Glass Edition Black
Audio Device(s) XI-FI 8.1
Power Supply EVGA 700W
Mouse Microsoft
Keyboard Microsoft
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Are you playing the integrated benchmark?

That is correct my friend. I did. My Ram is 3200Mhz 14c. not sure if that is helping.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
I think should did a ultra settings dx12 vs dx11 comparison of fps. when i was doing settings on mine, dx12 gave me 68fps and dx11 ran at 72fps. Sure people would say things in dx12 were active over 11 giving the fps boost but included in benchmark is a fps graph and it was very telling to say least. On the left of the image is dx11 you can see its tight and compact, dx12 on other hand has a lot of latency in frames.
CPU performance data in the benchmark is 100% useless. Gotta be in the world to see anything useful.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I see DLSS is still smearing jelly on graphics. Dismal performance for how mediocre the models look.
Careful. The last time I talked about DLSS looking blurry compared to some other AA options the pro-DLSS Brigade attacked me in force. :laugh:

Without watching the video, either the implementation is broken in your example or you are not actually enabling AF. Do a quick Google search and do some reading or go download the old 3DCenter AF Tester and play with it a bit. AF is a method of improving image quality by pushing out the boundary of the closest mipmap and smoothing out the blending between the successive levels of mipmaps as the textures recede from the image plane.

Even if you don't believe me or literally every article or bit of documentation that exists on the subject for some odd reason, ask yourself why anyone would enable an option the decreases visual quality (what you are implying) while simultaneously negatively impacting performance. It doesn't make any sense.
MFAA requires half as much performance as MSAA at the same settings and reduces texture crawl and shimmering. Downsampling yes that requires more performance however it also is better than post process AA techniques in general it doesn't distort things like shading, lighting, and reflections the way many post process AA methods can. Negative LOD bias makes brings it a ton fine detail to a texture from using sharper mipmap quality. That introduced shimmer/texture crawl of course, but MFAA reduces so they kind of cancel one another out a fair degree all while and still at less performance than MSAA on it's own with better quality subjectively speaking. The issue is mostly the texture shimmering/crawl in motion AF most certainly helps with that, but at the expense of texture detail taking a digger the scene blurs more and deep color quality seems to noise dive a little bit.

MFAA uses half the performance of MSAA at the same setting value. It also simultaneously reduces texture shimmer and crawling as a nice side effect. As for some downsampling because it's not a post process technique it doesn't have any of the associated subjective negatives of post process AA's techniques. More downsampling with less post process AA isn't a terrible option and consideration taking that into account. You can lose details on shading, lighting, and reflections with various AA techniques so downsampling is actually quite optimal though some AA is helpful, but keeping it more bare minimum is a good practice weigh the pro's and con's of the technique applied in conjunction with other settings involved. In the case of MFAA and negative LOD bias they pair well together. In the case of AF with both of those things if you use a higher MFAA value with a higher negative LOD bias you can get away with using a lower AF value with less perceived degradation and w/o introducing over sharpening superellipse issues that are present with x8 and x16AF settings with negative LOD bias set more aggressively like -3.0 value. It's most noticeable with x16 AF and a more extreme negative LOD bias value -3.0 to -1.5 value. It's not as pronounced at x8AF and at x4AF it's hard to tell.
1604439058042.png

It's worth noting that if you sharpen a texture you often bring out a ton of fine detail within the texture especially with bump mapping and course shadows, lighting, and reflections are more apparent with better sharpness. Color seems to be more accurate and rich with lower AF settings slightly it gets more blurry and washed out as you increase the AF values. On the one hand you fix the shimmering/crawl in motion on the other hand you killing more stationary color and texture detail with AF being set increasingly higher value. There is a reason I like MFAA performance is good and it also decrease and offsets texture crawl and shimmering which allows for more flexibility with the AF value you set. I think AF is generally great up to x4 and sometimes you have to compare from game to game between x2 and x4 on how it impacts those distant oblique angles relative to the other trade offs. If your using a higher MFAA value with negative LOD bias of -3.0 to -1.5 you might want to consider playing around with the AF value a bit and comparing. I mean fixing shimmer in motion to make the far texture quality more blurry is a trade off. MFAA is good compromise if you utilize negative LOD bias values which helps negate the need for setting AF higher while increasing fine texture detail in a readily obvious manner. A higher value of AF has positives and negatives with better texture qualities, bump mapping, r higher resolution and DPI, color reproduction, and negative LOD bias it becomes more noticeable and a bigger relative concern.

Ubisoft aka Ubishit has a track record of poor optimizations not to mention the shit they created with the drm back in the late 00s - securom...

They are the absolute worst at it.

System Name AMD RyZen PC
Processor AMD RyZen 5950x
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero 570x WIFI
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 64GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 MHz 14C x4
Video Card(s) Evga 3080 TI
Storage Seagate 8TB + 3TB + 4TB + 2TB external + 512 Samsung 980
Display(s) LG 4K 144Hz 27GN950-B
Case Thermaltake CA-1F8-00M1WN-02 Core X71 Tempered Glass Edition Black
Audio Device(s) XI-FI 8.1
Power Supply EVGA 700W
Mouse Microsoft
Keyboard Microsoft
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
You mean Digital foundry ?
Explain why my comment is silly ? beyond the bullshit we are all enthusiasts here and willing to throw money at Nvidia and Amd and be dazzeled by reflections and oh my how good are the graphics.
They are not, they are still cartoonish and all the marketing crap mean nothing when you can get the same thing for 400$ in one place and for 3000$ in another place (decent desktop PC)
It's just that simple, consoles are superior to PC's for games, cheaper, better, much more games and better.
Buy a console for games and buy a PC for work, a "gaming" GPU costs more than a console.

Yes I meant digital foundry, my bad, global foundry is the fab, but ok....

You said:

If you think that the consoles will produce image quality remotely close to running the game MAXED OUT, then idk what to tell you….they just arnt.
If the game was benchmarked at a mix of settings with stuff mostly on med, the fps numbers would be way higher.
Maxed Out is in another world then the console settings but obviously if you dont care that much for Visuals and running a game above 30 fps then by all means get a console, far smarter choice.

This is not a dig at consoles at all, its just a completely weird comparison to make, my old af pc is also "good to go" to play this game, just have to turn some settings down, just like the consoles do.

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
What was the deal with the reflections on the floors with the DLSS on/off comparison. It appeared like the DLSS made some of them vanish byproduct of that post process AA technique itself or did RTRT settings get tampered with as well mistakenly!?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
What was the deal with the reflections on the floors with the DLSS on/off comparison. It appeared like the DLSS made some of them vanish byproduct of that post process AA technique itself or did RTRT settings get tampered with as well mistakenly!?
Great question, now I see it too. I didn't change any RT settings, it was off for all the DLSS screenshots. Maybe the light source is time dependent and has changed in the between changing settings and screenshot.

Disabling TAA with DLSS seems like it would make sense to consider if testing DLSS's image quality.