• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Watch out Clevo 375 SM-A chipset burned from a faulty usb

Neodmium

Hi , i just post this here in order to prevent other users destroy their machines
IMG-ef17d206c3c8715a0dc5b192bf5f3c61-V.jpg
machines

I am an owner of eurocom x7 . This machine has a mobo clevo 375SM-A and it is an sli build with two 880m

Clevo is a vendor that DOESNT protect its motherboard chipset from a short circuit even in tha high prised models . That means that if you put a faulty chinese usb devise in a €2000 eurocom or alienware with clevo mobo laptop it is very likely that one day while you connect the usb maybe it turn off and never come back to life again . Thats what happened to me
I was lucky because i found a technitian that put out the burned mobo chipset and put a new one with reballing and reprogrammed it .
He told me that he has fixed a lot clevo with this same problem . Other vendors protect their chipset and just burn a usb port . But with clevo you maybe burn everything

If you want to have your mind clear from all these just dont buy a laptop with clevo mobo
IMG-26763acc48ea5cedcece80f6a6513ace-V.jpg

IMG-51251afefaebc1b042e93ea019f5e1d6-V.jpg

IMG-1588f3b45677d1c823e15c25420cfad5-V.jpg

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
It's not as bad as other "modern" laptops. The only way yours could've shorted the PCH, is if TPS2540A died (power switch IC for USB charging port), and it happens very-very rarely. Normally it would die and make that single USB port unusable. And it has OCP, which should've kicked in under normal circumstances (e.g. not plugging random shit into USB ports)
Dunno if it'll make you feel better, but most post- 4th gen laptops actually don't have any type of protection. Your Clevo is pretty well designed piece of electronics, and what I like the most - they still publish service manuals with schematics on their website.

For the last 10-12 years, we have bought nothing but Clevo laptops. Had had at least a dozen or so here and provided > 100 to colleagues, friends etc.

Have had two failures in all that time ....

1) Opened up lappie to find user had added a custom sound deadening material ... test proved it to be "chocolate milk" bottom of chassis lining.
2) My personal lappie 's USB port failed when I plugged in a laptop cooler thing. Hint: If ya gonna plug in a cooler, use it with a USB hub w/ power brick / plug

That unit has gotta be > 5 years old, Im still rocking a 675m after geeze gotta be 7 years.

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
Meh, I'll continue using my Clevo W650KK1 laptop. It's the best laptop I have ever used and I haven't had any problems with it in my 1.5 years of ownership. If it dies or becomes too outdated, I'll probably replace it with another Clevo laptop.

I figure as long as I don't overload any USB ports (using an unpowered USB hub or a poorly designed USB device), I should be fine.

Neodmium

It was not burned because of its age !!! It was i high quality €3000 laptop 4 years old and it got burned from a 5 euro toshiba hab ... It had no protection for short cirquit in its usb . Thats a horible thing for such a brand like clevo . My technical has done the same reballing job in over 5 laptops all of them are clevo no asus no msi no alienware . Do what you understand i just post it here to save money from people

I didn't say it failed because the model was 5 years old (when you bought it is irrelevant) ...I clearly said mine was 7 years old and Im still using it.. I just tossed a $2100 monitor I bought almost 25 years ago... it was old, something gave out. So not sure why it got ya panties in a bunch.

My previous laptop, circa 2007, was the one I referenced in previous post, didn't do this... so it musta had the protection. I just lost the port not the system... tho the laptop did bite the dust within a year ... after 5 years, i figured I got my use out of it ... it was certainly starting to drag a bit on AutoCAD.

The point of fact is, at 5.75 years old (m880 was in production in march of 2014) and why the the question of age is relevant is this: a decision has to be made as to whether it's worth the time, effort an money to repair it... especially given it's performance compared to newer options ... the current 1660 Ti Laptop is 3 times faster in Witcher 3 than the m880 so figure twice as fast as your SLI setup

I did some searching on the topic and all I really found was duplicate posts of yours. As others have indicated and I experienced myself, I managed to kill only the one port. So clearly, all Clevo products are not unprotected as you had indicated. Of course one has to be aware of what they are plugging in. What exactly is he "faulty chinese usb devise" ? Where did it come from ? Was it one of these ? This thing is specifically designed to kill a motherboard

Summary: USB KILLER PRO looks like a standard USB stick, operates quietly, and takes about 3 seconds to damage motherboard,
While testing we broke a couple of computers entirely. Use of USB Killer PRO caused permanent unsolvable damage on tested computer's motherboard, be caution of that. On the rest cases use of USB Killer PRO caused permanent usb port damage which may be fixed only by doing compound motherboard repair.