• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Watch out! Crysis 2 on Steam has 3rd party DRM, NOT disclosed on store page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
You seem really confused. Let me set a few things straight:

- I don't buy anything with DRM in it, except Windows, Office and Steam
- I did "research" Crysis 2 by looking carefully at the store page, to check that third party DRM was not present. I shouldn't have to do any more than that. The responsibility is with Valve to disclose it, as I've said several times over now. Third party DRM was present however, which is the reason for my thread, so that other people are warned before they fall into this trap
This isn't the place to discuss the rights and wrongs of DRM
- You're still saying I don't want to discuss DRM. How so? I've been discussing it the whole time. You even asked me a question about installing the game on 60 PCs and I gave you a clear and factual answer

Yeah, you wouldn't see animation tearing on a console, because vsync is always on, as it should be.

-So you bought a game from Steam knowing Steam has DRM
-what trap?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
-So you bought a game from Steam knowing Steam has DRM
-what trap?

I've been really, really clear. Are you really asking this question...

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes

It's beyond dumb, as I've answered everything already, in exhaustive bloody detail.

I don't think you're this stupid, so I reckon you're just trying to wind me up. Yes?

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
It's beyond dumb, as I've answered everything already, in exhaustive bloody detail.

I don't think you're this stupid, so I reckon you're just trying to wind me up. Yes?

no

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
gary gary gary..... carry on i just felt like saying that.

eitherway crysis 2 isnt a game id buy, and while i dislike DRM greatly, steam ea dosent matter whos fault it is and heres why no matter what laws are in effect around the globe, if anyone really wanted to take it up with them the blame will pass back and forth

good example, nvidia locking AA to there cards in Batman AA, the code used for it was claimed as IP from nvidia they said it belonged to the studio who passed it back to nvidia, same applies here, its your fault your the seller no its your fault you didnt tell me, the stupidity of it is like a school yard argument, no one wins everyones pissed off and nothing changes, the game has DRM, love it hate it you cant change it, steam if your nice will probably give you a refund they've been nice enough to do that for me a couple times in the past. Just google DRM + the game your looking at before you buy,

heres a good example anyone running Fallout 3 retail version? turn off auto play and install the game manually from the setup file. it will bypass the DRM install thus Fallout 3 installs with No DRM, granted only works on the first batch of retail versions but info of that nature are well, often good to know.

your a decent enough sort Qubit just dont fall into the stupid majority that cant google something, not trolling man but i really really dont want to have to google it for you, i mean i can but it wont be because im trying to be nice :roll:

Last edited:
Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
your a decent enough sort Qubit just dont fall into the stupid majority that cant google something, not trolling man but i really really dont want to have to google it for you, i mean i can but it wont be because im trying to be nice :roll:

Yeah, I'm great, I know. ;) And of course I can google. I actually trusted the Steam store page to give me accurate info, like it always has before . Shocking, isn't it?

And you don't have to "try" to be nice with me. ;)

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
i never said to run all copies at once? Which brings up a point what need is there for more than 5 computers activated at once?

its not 5 computers, its 5 installs. as i said above, if you format without uninstalling the game (and who uninstalls all their games before formatting? seriously?) then that activation is GONE. it cannot come back.

I
BTW I only game on consoles due to lack of PC support and poor graphics. I've never had a torn screen!

maybe because the tearing is a symptom of FPS going above your refresh rate, and consoels struggle for 30FPS, let alone the 60 that HDTV's support? stop dragging this thread off topic, its not about you and your consoles.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
i know i was being a blunt asshole, im a pessimist i dont trust anything till i see multiple sources on it i dont trust steams store page i dont trust developers pages, but add both together plus forums like TPU i can get all the info i need for a decision never take 1 source and be content with it otherwise you end up up shit creek without a paddle.

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Look, 3rd party DRM not disclosed on store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/99830/

Doesn't say, does it?

Yet it has a 5 machine activation limit. So f* epic fail of Steam. :shadedshu

I discovered this DRM when I ran Crysis for the first time, as it reported "activation successful". Also, adding Crysis to the Windows 7 Games Explorer and right clicking the icon gave two menu entries:

- de-authorize game. This is supposed to be done when moving the game from one PC to another
- EU EULA. This described the SolidShield DRM built into it

There's also this Steam forum thread on it: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1808447

Steam have broken the UK Sale of Goods Act and the Distance Selling Regulations and the equivalent laws in other countries by leaving out significant info like this. Therefore, I've now raised a support ticket with Steam for a full refund and I'll let you know how I get on. I've also uninstalled the game from my PC. And I liked it, too. Such a shame about this. :banghead:

Mods: I know there's the main Crysis thread, but I feel that this issue needs greater prominence rather than have it disappear into general Crysis chat, so please don't merge it with the other one. Perhaps it's a good idea to make this a sticky for a little while?

The SolidShield DRM described in the EULA:

3. Technical Protection Measures.
This Software uses Solidshield digital rights management technology. This Solidshield technology does not require a separate installation. For more information about Solidshield, visit http://www.solidshield.com. An Internet connection is required to authenticate the Software and verify your license (“Online Authentication”) using the serial code enclosed with the Software. CRYTEK reserves the right to validate your license through subsequent Online Authentications. If CRYTEK determines your license is not valid, you may not be able to use the Software. CRYTEK does not recommend that you attempt to disable Solidshield. If you disable or otherwise tamper with the technical protection measures, the Software may not function properly and you will have materially breached this License.

Each computer must be authorized before you can play the game. Authorization automatically occurs after authentication and license validation by CRYTEK (i.e., Online Authentication), described above. The first end user of this License may authorize up to five machines on which s/he may play the offline features of this game at any one time. Access to online features and/or services is addressed in Section 1.C, below. When you install the Software on a machine, the machine is automatically authorized (provided you have authorizations available). When you uninstall the Software from a machine, that machine is automatically de-authorized. You may manage your authorizations yourself by following the de-authorization instructions found at http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize. An Internet connection is required for de-authorization. Upon uninstallation of the Software and successful machine deauthorization, the Solidshield technology associated with this Software will be removed from your machine.
this is the post i was referring to... 5 machines i believe it says, Wasn't talking about your post
its not 5 computers, its 5 installs. as i said above, if you format without uninstalling the game (and who uninstalls all their games before formatting? seriously?) then that activation is GONE. it cannot come back.

maybe because the tearing is a symptom of FPS going above your refresh rate, and consoels struggle for 30FPS, let alone the 60 that HDTV's support? stop dragging this thread off topic, its not about you and your consoles.

I know how graphics work :toast:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
i know i was being a blunt asshole, im a pessimist i dont trust anything till i see multiple sources on it i dont trust steams store page i dont trust developers pages, but add both together plus forums like TPU i can get all the info i need for a decision never take 1 source and be content with it otherwise you end up up shit creek without a paddle.

Awesome! :roll: I don't mind how big and blunt an "asshole" you are, you're intentions were honourable, which is what matters. :toast:

And ya know what? After my unpleasant experience with Crysis 2, I'll be taking that pessimistic leaf out of your book.

System Name 2K Gamer
Processor AMD 8370 @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS Pro Gaming / Aura 970
Cooling Corsair H60 AIO
Memory 16GB G. Skill RipJaw @ 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP! GTX 1070
Storage Samsung 600 Gig HDD (Raid 0 @ 7,500) / WD 1TB Blue @ 7,200 / PNY 128 GB SSD For Linux
Display(s) 27'' ASUS 144MHZ G-SYNC Read 1400p Gaming Monitor / 23'' LG LCD Flatron W2361VG 1080p @ 50,000:1
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Onboard 7.1 HD Realtek
Power Supply 750w Corsair HX
Mouse Cougar Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Saitek Eclipse
Software Windows 10 64bit Education Edition
Don't blame EA for the DRM's , Blame Al Gore for Global Warming

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
I don't understand how it was a trap? Or why DRM is a deal breaker?

The way i understand it is:

- dude want's game but only if it is DRM free or if it's DRM is Steam's DRM
- dude checks and there's no mention of having DRM anywhere @ the store (Steam)
- dude buys game
- turns out game did have DRM and it's a 3rd party DRM
- if dude had known prior to buying, dude wouldn't have bought the game in the 1st place

IMO, dude's right to be pissed. If i were in his shoes, i would be pissed too.

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64

- dude buys game
- if dude had known prior to buying, dude wouldn't have bought the game in the 1st place

I am under the impression that all games have some form of DRM, and I don't think the OP will have any luck getting any kind of money back due to clicking the initial agreement and subsequent agreements tied to the game. Ignorance is not an excuse and the OP has even stated that towards Steam so how would it not apply to himself?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

- dude buys game

Ahmen, brother!

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
Ahmen, brother!
I understood correctly, it seems.

I am under the impression that all games have some form of DRM, and I don't think the OP will have any luck getting any kind of money back due to clicking the initial agreement and subsequent agreements tied to the game. Ignorance is not an excuse and the OP has even stated that towards Steam so how would it not apply to himself?

The issue is not that it has DRM but that it has 3rd party DRM and that such isn't mentioned anywhere @ the store.

System Name Alienware laptop R4
Processor intel i7-3610M @ 2,30Ghz
Motherboard dell?
Cooling 2 built in laptop cooling fans
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD Mobility Radeon HD m290x 4GB GDDR5
Storage 256 ssd and 512ssd
Display(s) laptop screen 17.3" 1920x1080 + LG 22" inch LCD HD 1920 x 1200
Case My laptop back pack case
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster
Power Supply laptop brick
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
greyinhere seems to be trolling to me. Why are you even posting here? have you helped anyone learn anything here?

System Name The "H3X" / beaut
Processor AMD X6 1090t /Intel Q6600
Motherboard GIGABYTE 990FX UD3 / eVGA 780i FTW
Cooling Corsair H70/ Stock Intel
Memory 8GB Mushkin Silverline Enhanced 1333 / 4 Gigs Corsair Dominator ddr2 1066
Video Card(s) XFX 5850 /eVGA 9800 GTX+ (dual SLI)
Storage OCZ Vertex III 120 GB + Hatichi 1TB / WD Blue 640GB
Display(s) 3x Acer S211H/ (buddies) Vizio 37" LCD HDTV
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D / Antec 900
Power Supply Corsair 850 Modular/ Corsair 750
Software Win 7 Ultimate /Windows Vista Ultimate
The OP states that because of UK law Steam, the reseller or any other reseller, must inform there customers that this this game contains DRM. And everyone jumps to the conculsion of piracy... or that steam could have not been aware of the contains of the game it was selling.

If one buys a car from a dealership and the car has something 3rd party that is against the law, even if the dealership is unaware of the 3rd party object, they will be held liable. now I know I am compairing apples to oranges. but the moral of the compairson is that steam sold him his copy and steam if even unaware of the 3rd party DRM is and should be held liable.

EDIT:
Also the DRM would not have made a difference in piracy anyways seeing as how Crysis 2 was up for grabs off torrents a month before release...

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
greyinhere seems to be trolling to me. Why are you even posting here? have you helped anyone learn anything here?

Games Developed and Supported by Third-party Developers/Publishers

You will need to contact the game's developer/publisher directly for support if you encounter any errors or unexpected behavior which is not related to Steam authentication or CD Keys after the game has loaded. If you are unable to locate third-party support, please contact Steam Support for further information. Some examples include:

Game crashes or errors after the game has been launched (that do not appear in a Steam dialog box)
Not being able to connect to multiplayer servers
Game bugs
Gameplay and/or controller questions
Third-party DRM and activation limits

Sending your support request to Steam Support rather than the correct provider may result in a delay in processing your request. Please make sure that your question is only sent to Valve if it does not fall into the criteria listed above. For a list of Third-Party games that are sold on Steam, please browse the knowledgebase

I believe this eliminates them (steam) from the OP's Claim

System Name Alienware laptop R4
Processor intel i7-3610M @ 2,30Ghz
Motherboard dell?
Cooling 2 built in laptop cooling fans
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD Mobility Radeon HD m290x 4GB GDDR5
Storage 256 ssd and 512ssd
Display(s) laptop screen 17.3" 1920x1080 + LG 22" inch LCD HD 1920 x 1200
Case My laptop back pack case
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster
Power Supply laptop brick
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Ok now I have learned something from you :)

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Ok now I have learned something from you :)

I needed to know exactly what the problem was/is before I offer advise. It would be irresponsible to do otherwise

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I understood correctly, it seems.

The issue is not that it has DRM but that it has 3rd party DRM and that such isn't mentioned anywhere @ the store.

Exactly, thank you. :)

Yeah, it certainly looked that way to me from the off. The last few posts to me before I started ignoring him were very obvious trolls.

I see he's still at it even now, by all the time "not understanding" something really simple and obvious. :rolleyes:

The OP states that because of UK law Steam, the reseller or any other reseller, must inform there customers that this this game contains DRM. And everyone jumps to the conculsion of piracy... or that steam could have not been aware of the contains of the game it was selling.

If one buys a car from a dealership and the car has something 3rd party that is against the law, even if the dealership is unaware of the 3rd party object, they will be held liable. now I know I am compairing apples to oranges. but the moral of the compairson is that steam sold him his copy and steam if even unaware of the 3rd party DRM is and should be held liable.

EDIT:
Also the DRM would not have made a difference in piracy anyways seeing as how Crysis 2 was up for grabs off torrents a month before release...

Yup, you're quite right about where the responsibility lies. Also, all the straw man arguments about why I'm supposedly not due a refund and Valve are protected by their EULA come out. Annoying, isn't it?

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Status
Not open for further replies.