• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Watch out! Crysis 2 on Steam has 3rd party DRM, NOT disclosed on store page

Status
Not open for further replies.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
UPDATE 07APR11: Steam store page now finally shows "3rd-party DRM: TAGES Solidshield ". Of course, I've heard nothing about my refund. :rolleyes:

Look, 3rd party DRM not disclosed on store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/99830/

Doesn't say, does it?

Yet it has a 5 machine activation limit. So f* epic fail of Steam. :shadedshu

I discovered this DRM when I ran Crysis for the first time, as it reported "activation successful". Also, adding Crysis to the Windows 7 Games Explorer and right clicking the icon gave two menu entries:

- de-authorize game. This is supposed to be done when moving the game from one PC to another
- EU EULA. This described the SolidShield DRM built into it

There's also this Steam forum thread on it: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1808447

Steam have broken the UK Sale of Goods Act and the Distance Selling Regulations and the equivalent laws in other countries by leaving out significant info like this. Therefore, I've now raised a support ticket with Steam for a full refund and I'll let you know how I get on. I've also uninstalled the game from my PC. And I liked it, too. Such a shame about this. :banghead:

Mods: I know there's the main Crysis thread, but I feel that this issue needs greater prominence rather than have it disappear into general Crysis chat, so please don't merge it with the other one. Perhaps it's a good idea to make this a sticky for a little while?

The SolidShield DRM described in the EULA:

3. Technical Protection Measures.
This Software uses Solidshield digital rights management technology. This Solidshield technology does not require a separate installation. For more information about Solidshield, visit http://www.solidshield.com. An Internet connection is required to authenticate the Software and verify your license (“Online Authentication”) using the serial code enclosed with the Software. CRYTEK reserves the right to validate your license through subsequent Online Authentications. If CRYTEK determines your license is not valid, you may not be able to use the Software. CRYTEK does not recommend that you attempt to disable Solidshield. If you disable or otherwise tamper with the technical protection measures, the Software may not function properly and you will have materially breached this License.

Each computer must be authorized before you can play the game. Authorization automatically occurs after authentication and license validation by CRYTEK (i.e., Online Authentication), described above. The first end user of this License may authorize up to five machines on which s/he may play the offline features of this game at any one time. Access to online features and/or services is addressed in Section 1.C, below. When you install the Software on a machine, the machine is automatically authorized (provided you have authorizations available). When you uninstall the Software from a machine, that machine is automatically de-authorized. You may manage your authorizations yourself by following the de-authorization instructions found at http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize. An Internet connection is required for de-authorization. Upon uninstallation of the Software and successful machine deauthorization, the Solidshield technology associated with this Software will be removed from your machine.

Last edited:
System Name Bad Moon Ryzen
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Cooling Vetroo V5
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32Gb (8gb x 4) 3200 MHz DDR 4
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb, Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb,WD Black 8Tb, WD Blue 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270bmiix & 4K Samsung TV
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact w/Dark Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply MSI MPG A850GF (850w)
VR HMD Rift S
Cheeky bar stewards. Luckily, I'm yet to buy the game but thanks for bringing this to our attention Qubit.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Look, 3rd party DRM not disclosed on store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/99830/

Doesn't say, does it?

Yet it has a 5 machine activation limit. So f* epic fail of Steam. :shadedshu

I discovered this DRM when I ran Crysis for the first time, as it reported "activation successful". Also, adding Crysis to the Windows 7 Games Explorer and right clicking the icon gave two menu entries:

- de-authorize game. This is supposed to be done when moving the game from one PC to another
- EU EULA. This described the SolidShield DRM built into it

There's also this Steam forum thread on it: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1808447

Steam have broken the UK Sale of Goods Act and the Distance Selling Regulations and the equivalent laws in other countries by leaving out significant info like this. Therefore, I've now raised a support ticket with Steam for a full refund and I'll let you know how I get on. I've also uninstalled the game from my PC. And I liked it, too. Such a shame about this. :banghead:

Mods: I know there's the main Crysis thread, but I feel that this issue needs greater prominence rather than have it disappear into general Crysis chat, so please don't merge it with the other one. Perhaps it's a good idea to make this a sticky for a little while?

The SolidShield DRM described in the EULA:

3. Technical Protection Measures.
This Software uses Solidshield digital rights management technology. This Solidshield technology does not require a separate installation. For more information about Solidshield, visit http://www.solidshield.com. An Internet connection is required to authenticate the Software and verify your license (“Online Authentication”) using the serial code enclosed with the Software. CRYTEK reserves the right to validate your license through subsequent Online Authentications. If CRYTEK determines your license is not valid, you may not be able to use the Software. CRYTEK does not recommend that you attempt to disable Solidshield. If you disable or otherwise tamper with the technical protection measures, the Software may not function properly and you will have materially breached this License.

Each computer must be authorized before you can play the game. Authorization automatically occurs after authentication and license validation by CRYTEK (i.e., Online Authentication), described above. The first end user of this License may authorize up to five machines on which s/he may play the offline features of this game at any one time. Access to online features and/or services is addressed in Section 1.C, below. When you install the Software on a machine, the machine is automatically authorized (provided you have authorizations available). When you uninstall the Software from a machine, that machine is automatically de-authorized. You may manage your authorizations yourself by following the de-authorization instructions found at http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize. An Internet connection is required for de-authorization. Upon uninstallation of the Software and successful machine deauthorization, the Solidshield technology associated with this Software will be removed from your machine.

Up to five activations at one time. Not in total. Seems to be more then fair to me. Also Steam didn't do anything wrong. They are just the platform of delivery. Your beef is with Crytek. I doubt Steam will refund your money.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Up to five activations at one time. Not in total. Seems to be more then fair to me. Also Steam didn't do anything wrong. They are just the platform of delivery. Your beef is with Crytek. I doubt Steam will refund your money.

No, my beef is with Steam, for missing such a crucial detail, as they're the seller, that is UK law.

Look up another game such as the original Crysis here and you'll see that the 3rd party DRM is disclosed.

It's irrelevant whether you personally think this DRM is fair or not, it should be disclosed so people can make an informed choice. I would have stayed away.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
No, my beef is with Steam, for missing such a crucial detail, as they're the seller, that is UK law.

Look up another game such as the original Crysis here and you'll see that the 3rd party DRM is disclosed.

It's irrelevant whether you personally think this DRM is fair or not, it should be disclosed so people can make an informed choice. I would have stayed away.

No worries I ain't going to argue DRM relevance :laugh: Its just 5 computer simultaneously installed is more then fair.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
No worries I ain't going to argue DRM relevance :laugh: Its just 5 computer simultaneously installed is more then fair.

Sure, it is 5 machines, I've already stated that. :confused:

If you think that's fair, then good for you and I honestly don't have a problem with it. :toast: I don't think any DRM is fair however, as you know.

This isn't the place to discuss the rights and wrongs of DRM though, just the fact that the DRM is not disclosed. Tell ya what, why not click that link in my sig and we can have at it over at NRNL! :)

TheMailMan78

Big Member

If you think that's fair, then good for you and I honestly don't have a problem with it. :toast: I don't think any DRM is fair however, as you know.

This isn't the place to discuss the rights and wrongs of DRM though, just the fact that the DRM is not disclosed. Tell ya what, why not click that link in my sig and we can have at it over at NRNL! :)

Na no need man. I agree with you on the whole discloser thing on steam. They should have said something. However I just looked at their "system specs" and they are not even up to date. Strange.

streetfighter 2

http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/the-big-drm-list/
(via this thread)

It appears Steam is upset about the bad press from 3rd party DRM so they've closed down all the old DRM list threads. Fortunately someone is hosting a list on an external server now.

Crysis 2 DRM summary from steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com
Account Based DRM:
-Crysis 2; Online play requires a MyCrysis account
Solidshield is Tages’ new DRM technology. It is presumed that this is their replacement for TAGES:
-Crysis 2; 5 machine limit

Last edited:

2DividedbyZero

do you know if the retail version has any limitation? I ask because I installed the game on Friday, authorised it yet when I played it again on Saturday the game asked me to authorise again - and again today, so had it 3 days and had to authorise 3 times, Fri Sat and Sun.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
I am willing to bet Steam covered their ass in the EULA. on third part DRM. You might want to look into that before you waste your time.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I am willing to bet Steam covered their ass in the EULA. on third part DRM. You might want to look into that before you waste your time.

hmmm... possibly. I've already submitted my ticket hours ago though, so I'm gonna see what happens. Also, I don't think this is something that they can waive away with Ts & Cs, but don't quote me, lol.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Steam EULA said:
A. EXCLUSIVE REMEDY -- STEAM AND THE SOFTWARE.

YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ANY DISPUTE WITH VALVE WITH REGARD TO STEAM OR THE SOFTWARE IS TO DISCONTINUE USE OF STEAM AND CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT. BECAUSE SOME STATES OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR THE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, IN SUCH STATES OR JURISDICTIONS, VALVE, ITS LICENSORS, AND THEIR AFFILIATES LIABILITY SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.

qubit, you must uninstall Steam. The End User Licsense Agreement you ticked the box for says it must be so. They even print in in CAPS to let you know they are yelling it to you. :p

:laugh:

System Name Benny
Processor Phenom II 1055t @ 3.3GHz; 300x11; 1.380v; NB 2700; HT 2400
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (2002 BIOS)
Cooling Thermalright TRUE 120 Black + 2 Xilence Red Wing PWM 120mm (push/pull) + polycarbonate fan holders
Memory 8GB GeIL Ultra 2133MHZ C9 running at 1600MHz @ 7-7-7-21 1T 1.5v
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II GTX470 @ Stock w/CPU fan cable-tied on, as one of the GPU fans broke.
Storage 60GB OCZ Agility3 (OS);500GB WDC Grn; 1x1TB WDC Blk (Backup)
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Case Silverstone Raven 2 (all cables custom sleeved with velcro mod on side panel...)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi (Onboard) + Harmon Kardon HK6100 amp powering JVC HA-RX700's with Zalman mic
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Win7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores No benchies so making this space useful! Corsair M90, Logitech G19. Phobya FlexLight LED's (gawjus)
:roll: no way qubit, to follow legal procedure you must cease all use of steam :roll:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
qubit, you must uninstall Steam. The End User Licsense Agreement you ticked the box for says it must be so. They even print in in CAPS to let you know they are yelling it to you. :p

:laugh:

Even if it's something significant that they omitted to do? This little clause gives them carte blanche to do whatever the hell they like, even illegal stuff. And this is against UK law, as well as the DRM omission. As I'm paying in pounds and am based in the UK, I do believe that UK law applies. Again, don't quote me on this!

I'll bet that even though the law is on my said, the buggers will make me fight to get my money back, but we'll just have to wait and see.

EDIT: erocker, scammy: by forcing me to uninstall Steam, I would lose access to hundreds of pounds worth of games I have on the account, that they won't refund. Nah, how can that be right? Sounds like an extortion racket, doesn't it?

streetfighter 2

Actually, this'd be more of a consumer protection issue that could [potentially] void the license if it became litigious (in the USA).

Furthermore with competition on the rise for Steam it would be an incredibly poor decision on their behalf to neglect existing customers (RE: doctrine of keeping a customer). Also I have a hard time seeing how hiding the inclusion of DRM hinders pirates and benefits customers; it appears to be the exact opposite.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
When I was at Microsoft support people sometimes called and complained about stuff thats in the EULA. My constant response was: "Did you read it before agreeing?"

So did you read it before agreeing? You didn't, so you really have yourself to blame and do not deserve a refund.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Actually, this'd be more of a consumer protection issue that could [potentially] void the license if it became litigious (in the USA).

Furthermore with competition on the rise for Steam it would be an incredibly poor decision on their behalf to neglect existing customers (RE: doctrine of keeping a customer). Also I have a hard time seeing how hiding the inclusion of DRM hinders pirates and benefits customers; it appears to be the exact opposite.

No. No Steam for YOU!

It's a joke. ;)

TheMailMan78

Big Member

Isn't that SabreWulf forum? The one where he emo'd out to when we called him a pedophile? :laugh: Ill pass.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
When I was at Microsoft support people sometimes called and complained about stuff thats in the EULA. My constant response was: "Did you read it before agreeing?"

So did you read it before agreeing? You didn't, so you really have yourself to blame and do not deserve a refund.

Actually, I did, back in 2004 :laugh:

There's such a thing as unfair contract terms, which this appears to be. Also, contract terms cannot breach the law, such as the UK Sale of Goods Act and the Distance Selling Regulations which apply to this sale.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
not Steam's fault.

also afaik the 5 machine limit magically replenishes once a month.

It is their fault for not disclosing it, as they're the seller.

Well, that reset is good to know should I get stuck with it.

ctrain

steam isn't the publisher, EA is.

edit: EA not fucking activison, durr

you don't blame ebay because you didn't get what was listed.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
But they're the seller. In UK law, the seller is responsible. So, even if EA didn't tell Steam and Steam didn't know (bloody unlikely) then Steam are still responsible.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Irrespective of whether or not the DRM is fair, the consumer should be informed of any third-party DRM prior to purchase, whereby Valve probably have infringed both the law and their customers' trust.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Irrespective of whether or not the DRM is fair, the consumer should be informed of any third-party DRM prior to purchase, whereby Valve probably have infringed both the law and their customers' trust.

Exactly!

Status
Not open for further replies.