• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WatchDogs 2 RAM usage

Sabresong

Hi, all.

I bought an HP Omen 17 laptop a few months ago, and recently got WatchDogs 2 free from Epic Games. At first I ran the game on Ultra video settings. It was beautiful, stunning, really. But after a few hours of gameplay the system started saying it didn't have enough RAM for a stable frame rate and the games started to lag to the point of being unplayable. I changed the video settings to Very High, then to High, but the same issue keeps happening.

My laptop has 12G RAM and an Nvidia GeForce 1660ti graphics card. I've disabled every startup item I don't absolutely need and shut down every background process I know I can safely close. I'd think a new gaming laptop, even a budget model like mine, should be able to run WD2. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem?

D

Deleted member 193596

get a rig with more ram.

12GB in total is enough for an office PC but not for a gaming rig.

you can easily fill 16gb in these days with just a game running

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
So your laptop has a 4GB+8GB RAM config, it's basically not optimal for games.
Try going to the BIOS and check what speed your RAM are running at, then buy an 8GB SODIMM of the same speed to replace the 4GB one.

Last edited:
System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
I haven't seen a game that uses up more than 12gb of ram. 12 for an office PC but not games? I call nonsense on that.

Run MSI afterburner and watch to see what the temps are along with the memory usage.

Edit: after reading around, people with 16gb ram were getting same message.

It's a memory leak issue in the game. Don't expect it to be fixed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 193596

I haven't seen a game that uses up more than 12gb of ram. 12 for an office PC but not games? I call nonsense on that.

Run MSI afterburner and watch to see what the temps are along with the memory usage.

here.. just playing cod without anything running in the background.. not even a launcher except battlenet.

that is with my 16gb kit. it is 100% filled and the game itself uses around 13.5GB of ram.

with my 32gb kit i see up to 16gb of usage just through the game with a few applications open like spotify and hwinfo

there are many games that use more than 12gb of ram.

and having 12gb ram in total is a GIANT difference when you have like 7.5-8.5 of them free for a game

Attachments

• Ram Vebrauch 16+8GB Warzone.png
    Ram Vebrauch 16+8GB Warzone.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 387
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Hi, all.

I bought an HP Omen 17 laptop a few months ago, and recently got WatchDogs 2 free from Epic Games. At first I ran the game on Ultra video settings. It was beautiful, stunning, really. But after a few hours of gameplay the system started saying it didn't have enough RAM for a stable frame rate and the games started to lag to the point of being unplayable. I changed the video settings to Very High, then to High, but the same issue keeps happening.

My laptop has 12G RAM and an Nvidia GeForce 1660ti graphics card. I've disabled every startup item I don't absolutely need and shut down every background process I know I can safely close. I'd think a new gaming laptop, even a budget model like mine, should be able to run WD2. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem?
you are not the only one with the issue, you will have better luck on the ubisoft forums
get a rig with more ram.

you can easily fill 16gb in these days with just a game running

not sure what you are doing in MS office that requires 12GB of ram but it's enough for gaming. The issue isn't his laptop as much as it's the half-assed port that was never optimized for PCs.

D

Deleted member 193596

you are not the only one with the issue, you will have better luck on the ubisoft forums

not sure what you are doing in MS office that requires 12GB of ram but it's enough for gaming. The issue isn't his laptop as much as it's the half-assed port that was never optimized for PCs.

what do you want to hear?
it is not enough for a modern gaming machine
and what is below that? a "12gb is enough for applications that are using not more than your 12gb of ram" machine?

16gb is more or less required for a normal gaming rig in these days if you not just play CS:GO and older, smaller titles.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11

The issue is the RAM run in dual channel with the first 8GB, the last 4GB is single channel and it would severely affect the performane if the game is using more than 8GB of system RAM.

Case fancier than yours
The issue is the RAM run in dual channel with the first 8GB, the last 4GB is single channel and it would severely affect the performane if the game is using more than 8GB of system RAM.
I understand the laptop is not running in dual channel but single channel would not create the major issues the OP (and many others) are/have experienced with that error in that game. His issue is a known problem with the game which is why i said go to the ubisoft forums.

what do you want to hear?
it is not enough for a modern gaming machine
and what is below that? a "12gb is enough for applications that are using not more than your 12gb of ram" machine?

16gb is more or less required for a normal gaming rig in these days if you not just play CS:GO and older, smaller titles.
hear? I don't want to hear anything
I would like you to;
A) read sepheronx posts and my posts stating it's a known issue with the game and that people with 16GB+ of RAM are receiving the same message
B) understand the difference between using 12GB of RAM and needing 12GB of RAM
C) the solution to every problem is not always "just toss more money at it to make it bigger and faster like my rig"

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
Case fancier than yours
then why are people with 16GB and 32GB in dual channel receiving the exact same message with similar performance hits? See Seph's link from ubisoft, STEAM has similar forum posts.

"The memory usage of Watch dogs 2 just keeps going up until my computer crashes. pc specs: i7-6700k, GTX 1070, 16gb of RAM"

"known issue for awhile but ubisoft being quiet, just browse these forums. I have i7, 32 gb ram and 1070. Causes bsod."

System Name Home
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk 450 MAX
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 CAS 16
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700XT EVOKE OC
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB
Display(s) ASUS VA326HR + MSI Optix G24C4
Case MSI - MAG Forge 100M
Power Supply Aerocool Lux RGB M 650W
I had a similar bug in Heroes of Might and Magic 6, after playing a lot on one map, the game takes hours to load and completely fills up my 16GB of RAM. This one is another bug that probably has never been corrected.

Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 6700 10GB SWFT 309
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703 (TTC Gold 60M)
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (Gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
I played WD2 on a laptop that has 8GB of ram (also in single channel), and I never had any RAM related messages popup. It's definitely not RAM size related.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
I had a similar bug in Heroes of Might and Magic 6, after playing a lot on one map, the game takes hours to load and completely fills up my 16GB of RAM. This one is another bug that probably has never been corrected.

There are generally some games that are just poor in terms of quality and or just never fixed. I recall at least 3 games where they had terrible memory leak that were never fixed (GTA IV was the most memorable for me).

Not all games translate well from console to PC and if the developers just do not care, they wont bother fixing it.

Sabresong

THanks, Sepheronx. I'm no expert, but I know enough about C and C++ programming to know about memory leaks, and I heard this morning from a friend with a brand new custom built desktop PC with 64G RAM and NVidia's newest graphics card, he's having the same issue. It's clearly an issue with the game itself. It's not releasing RAM like it should. Thanks for giving me a starting place to look into it. I'll go play something else for a bit and hope Ubisoft gets round to fixing it someday.

And thanks to everyone for your replies!

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Hi, all.

Yeah, 12GB isn't enough for a couple of titles, but that is rare, contrary to an opinion earlier. 16GB of RAM is plenty for 95% of titles today... 12GB is plenty for most still. WD2 does have a memory issue too IIRC...

12GB isn't enough for an office PC, lololol... this place has really been drinking the jesus juice lately. :(

EDIT: What seph said, lol.

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Software Windows 10 64bit
Hahahahaha made me laugh. But I would not agree. The game has to be optimized to use the ram amount it has available to it.
I'll go play something else for a bit and hope Ubisoft gets round to fixing it someday.
You can try Rocket league on epic. It's free if you haven't tried it yet

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Yeah, 12GB isn't enough for a couple of titles, but that is rare, contrary to an opinion earlier. 16GB of RAM is plenty for 95% of titles today... 12GB is plenty for most still. WD2 does have a memory issue too IIRC...

I don't think there is any game where 12GB isn't enough to run the game, but it might not be enough to run the game at maxed settings.

I don't think there is any game where 12GB isn't enough to run the game, but it might not be enough to run the game at maxed settings.
Agreed.

Note, by default, I'm always talking 'Ultra' settings because that's the goal and what people strive for (unless you're in the competitive realm).

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Agreed.

Note, by default, I'm always talking 'Ultra' settings because that's the goal and what people strive for (unless you're in the competitive realm).

I don't really care about Ultra, it rarely looks much better than high and the performance penalty is usually massive. But I just care about playable. And most games these days look really good even on low settings.

Processor Intel i9 11900K
Motherboard Z590 MSI ACE
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Ballistix Elite 4000 32GB 18-19-19-39
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090 XC3 ULTRA HYBRID
Storage 2x Seagate Barracuda 120 SSD 1 TB, XPG SX8200 PRO 1 TB
Display(s) Acer Predator Z321QU
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Power Supply Asus ROG Strix 1000W

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
D

Deleted member 24505

I don't really care about Ultra, it rarely looks much better than high and the performance penalty is usually massive. But I just care about playable. And most games these days look really good even on low settings.

I agree. i still have a gtx 1080 and hardly set any game to ultra any more. very high if available or high if not.

Agreed.

That said, my point was that users strive for the best settings when possible. Unless you're in the competitive scene, that is the goal....regardless if there is little difference in quality. I'd bet few users would use High vs Ultra when they are hitting their FPS target regardless of IQ differences.

If you're setting it to high when ultra is playable/meeting your FPS goals, you're selling yourself short. :)