• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Water Cooled Vega 64 Overclocked And Tested By TomsHardware

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
LOL on the low resource constraints. If they don't have cash, they can find an investor. And if no other company or bank believes in their products, they can always try crowd-sourcing with their loyal fanboys.
This is just business. Your product is either profitable or not. Your forecast is either reliable or rubbish.
AMD is pretty small compared to major players in consumer electronics. There are many companies in US and Asia that could provide them a larger R&D budget - both financial institutions and companies within the industry.

It's not about lack of money. It's just that AMD can't (or doesn't want to) make proper mainstream products.
We know they can design and make proper chips. Things they do for other companies (consoles and Macs) are top-notch.
But with their own products they're aiming at niches - that's why they're becoming a niche manufacturer. Simple as that.

In certain way, AMD's desktop GPU are bad ports from console. If you know what I mean.

You haven't actually read the rest of that post haven't you? You know, the part where I mentioned AMD's inability to materialize these brilliant ideas due to resources constraints...

You're making a far out assumption. That's basically a tissue paper defense. If they really wanted to or could make something that would blow Nvidia out of the water they would have, they didn't.

So 64 has potential

Did you read anything? Lol. Or did you post after reading something somewhere else other than this post?

Last edited:
Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Just realized that Nvidia also use GoFlo for GPU production. 1050, which can overclock to 2GHz easily. So yeah, it may not be manufacturing problem but design problems.

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
You're making a far out assumption. That's basically a tissue paper defense. If they really wanted to or could make something that would blow Nvidia out of the water they would have, they didn't.

Did you read anything? Lol. Or did you post after reading something somewhere else other than this post?
Like I said

So it has potential

Will pick 2 up for myself

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
It's not that simple , GP107 is minuscule compared to Vega. GloFo seems to be able to offer decent power consumption , however only in certain scenarios. Scenarios that never quite meet with what AMD wants. They always push their GPUs beyond the optimum power consumption GloFo can offer.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P

Hey it is respectful when fans support with their money instead of their mouth. Unlike someone who constantly defends Vega and went team green.

It's not that simple , GP107 is minuscule compared to Vega. GloFo seems to be able to offer decent power consumption , however only in certain scenarios. Scenarios that never quite meet with what AMD wants. They always push their GPUs beyond the optimum power consumption GloFo can offer.

Small sized Polaris also had bad power consumption once pushed to high clock rates. Same GloFo node. How do you spin this?

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Small sized Polaris also had bad power consumption once pushed to high clock rates. Same GloFo node. How do you spin this?

That's the thing , Polaris is very power efficient at around 1000mhz , AMD could have made a big Polaris chip with HBM ,(4096 cores at no more than 1.1 Ghz ) that could have rivaled Pascal in power consumption. GloFo can provide good power characteristics but only to a degree. AMD always needs more than that it seems and GloFo can't provide.

We know GloFo's 14 nm node is optimized for low power not high clocks. However Pascal is not Vega or Polaris , maybe it can be clocked higher without the need of a very high quality node. Also small chips are always easier to make , I am not surprised GloFo can make something like GP107 while something like GP102 would probably be too much for them.

Who knows maybe Nvidia ia paying GloFo a shit ton of cash because they are trying to make room for the higher end chips at TMSC.

Edit : All of these manufacturers can more or less provide the same quality silicon , what differentiates them is the cost and capacity at which they can do that.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Toms blow bro!

Christ it's a pathetic site for any info imho.

Depends who you read and whether you also frequent the German version of the site, which is remarkably thorough and to the point; they uncovered the EVGA GTX 1080 VRAM issue on their FTW coolers and are probably the reason EVGA revamped the shroud AGAIN for 1080ti to leave that PR disaster behind fast.

About all these excuses I read... who are you guys kidding here really? Yourselves? AMD has had ample time to fix the issues that plague every GPU launch they've done since the 7970. Hot stock coolers, silly business decisions, an inability to get GCN to be efficient or a high clocker, shitty deals with AIBs leading to even shittier offerings (such as Sapphire's Tri-X being the only reasonable air cooled Hawaii card at the time, to ASUS re-using its Nvidia designed shrouds up to the point they don't even fit proper - and I'll let you in on the fact that ASUS is ALSO just reusing the 1080ti shroud with minor tweaks for VEGA), and once again issues within the driver model and high CPU usage compared to its competitor.

Its same shit, different day, you have got to be absolutely oblivious and blind not to see this by now. There is no excuse, there is only AMD trying to extend GCN way beyond its lifespan and usefulness. Die shrinks are not enough to keep reusing the same shit every time and not fail horribly.

Last edited:
Are you finally admitting that AMD can't design efficient chips or what?

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Are you finally admitting that AMD can't design efficient chips or what?

Small Polaris from GloFo vs 1050Ti from GloFo is the prime example of RTG's shitty node design. GCN as a whole simply cannot work at high clock, be it small scale 1024SP or big scale 4096SP. GCN is too old.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Oh god and people babbling about GCN...

Does someone who has not even touched GCN for straight 2 gen of GPU know about GCN? You know more about GCN than users who experienced it first hand? Or you know more than professional reviewers?

No, it's you people who babble how GCN is all the same from HD7000 up to Vega that piss me off. And now all of a sudden my absence of owning an AMD is now a "problem" because I'm supposedly not knowledgeable enough about GCN even though I freaking owned the very first generation of it on excellent HD7000 series. Weren't you among the idiots who were yelling at me for being an AMD fanboy coz I had a fucking Radeon 2 years ago before GeForce, but now, all of a sudden, it's an issue coz I supposedly don't know anything about it coz I don't have it now. Consistency, you may want to look that up in dictionary...

Also, that 4 wheels and steering wheel car analogy. You may want to study that up as well...

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
No, it's you people who babble how GCN is all the same from HD7000 up to Vega that piss me off. And now all of a sudden my absence of owning an AMD is now a "problem" because I'm supposedly not knowledgeable enough about GCN even though I freaking owned the very first generation of it on excellent HD7000 series. Weren't you among the idiots who were yelling at me for being an AMD fanboy coz I had a fucking Radeon 2 years ago before GeForce, but now, all of a sudden, it's an issue coz I supposedly don't know anything about it coz I don't have it now. Consistency, you may want to look that up in dictionary...

Also, that 4 wheels and steering wheel car analogy. You may want to study that up as well...

I had two HD7970's - it doesn't make me an expert on GCN, nor does it make you professor Radeon. People aren't babbling (I presume you mean me as well) about GCN any more than you are spouting your own opinion on the topic. If I can quote an article from what is normally a very tech intensive site (anandtech) that describees Vega as being an iteration and tweak of GCN, it doesn't make me a fool or a 'babbling' idiot. It means I'm supporting my point with at least some form of evidence other than opinion.

It would be really nice if people actually tried for one second to understand the other persons side. But no. Valid points just get ignored because online people can fight tirelessly because nobody is there to 'sit your ass down'. Virtual tough guys everywhere.

FWIW, I'd like to say @RejZoR is not a fan boy for AMD but man, you don't accomodate anybody elses opinion if it runs counter to yours and that is why flack comes your way. @xkm1948, it'd be good to lay off on the full on assault and cut the guy some slack. Reasoning is a two way street but I've given up because some guys only go one way (even when supported evidence says otherwise). If folks don't want to accept a carrot cake isn't actually mostly carrots, then that's their problem.

Its da web man, reasoning and logic are hard to find sometimes.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Does someone who has not even touched GCN for straight 2 gen of GPU know about GCN? You know more about GCN than users who experienced it first hand? Or you know more than professional reviewers?
Like really , enthusiasts know loads of stuff about stuff they don't own ,even normys do.
Lets debate facts Polaris equals a 1080ti in the right hands and scenario i e mine and mining a vega does the same these indicate adequately amds designs flexibility.
One 580 is about 67% the performance of one vega 64 at this point and in all dx12 games though two or three Polaris beat a vega in pure fps on working titles but i personally think that yet again in the right hands and scenario Vega is epic in others it touches on meh but its early yet i got a 5870 day one it was a bitxh first few months same with a 7970 same with Polaris ti a lesser degree and same with Vega ,things will improve and anyone doing oc comparisons on vega are pissing in the wind nothing works right or reliably.

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
I said it before and i will say it again. Emotionally invested in a certain brand will cause selective blindness when it comes to negativity of the specific brand.

Like always, time will tell how Vega fares down the road.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Lets debate facts Polaris equals a 1080ti in the right hands and scenario i e mine and mining a vega does the same these indicate adequately amds designs flexibility.
Flexibility? It's only good for particular computation tasks - mining being in this class. It's rubbish at most other things. How is this "flexible"? :eek:

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Toms... not surprised this is about the worst aftermarket watercooled setup on the market.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506

People should really learning concept of CONTEXT in English language. It's one of the most important things for proper understanding of discussions. Notice the "I wish". That doesn't mean "it will" or ""I will". The reason I wrote that is because reading all the AMD haters became really tiring chore... Just like is reading how GCN is all the same just because it's GCN. People just stuff shit together because of 3 letters even though every idiot with basic reading capabilities can see from specs that Vega core is nothing like anything else AMD has released in the past using GCN foundations.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
Didn't really read the whole thread it's probably people going hate mode about Vega anyway like everywhere else, but I just wanted to point out that Vega is for me the best example of "AMD FineWine" and the most desperate one at this as well. It's basically a) a new GPU architecture, that intends a need of FineWine or need in time for mature drivers anyway but b) on top a lot of futuristic features that need time anyway aside from "FineWine" meaning double "FineWine" needed. So basically what I'm trying to say is, whoever is buying Vega is probably a AMD fanboy, a Freesync user or needs to be very very patient. I guess driver optimizations will need months to bring the card to full power, but that aside it will probably take years for the other features to make any tangible difference. I'm sure it will be faster than a 1080 and even a custom 1080 over time, but right now I'd only go for it for the sake of FreeSync, because that way it's at least on same price level of the 1080 or cheaper, Gsync tax included. That said, I'd go for a custom Vega, not this blower stuff. ;) That all said I'm perfectly happy with my GPU right now, that's just theorizing on my part, me in theory having too much money to spend on GPU + monitor right now. :)

System Name Main Machine
Processor Intel i9-13900KS
Motherboard ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Apex
Cooling Water cooling, 2x EK-DDC 3.2 PWM, 1x360mm+1x240mm+1x120mm EK, Mora 360 Pro, EK-Quantum Velocity 2
Memory G.SKILL 32GB DDR5-7200, 7200J3445G16GX2-TZ5RS
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 7900 XTX Aqua
Storage 2x WD_BLACK SN850X 1TB und 2TB, 2x8TB Seagate Ironwolf
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27WQ 27inch 165Hz FreeSync Premium Pro
Case Cooler Master COSMOS C700P
Audio Device(s) Turtle Beach Elite Pro Tournament + Elite Pro TAC
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i 1600W Titanium
Mouse Logitech G903 LIGHTSPEED Wireless
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Software Win 11
I bought a Vega 64 aircooled version to use it along with the my Freesync BenQ ZOWIE XL2730 144Hz 27inch that I own since beginning of this year.
I bought the monitor after my Samsung 120Hz 1080p died.
I used the Benq XL2730 so far with a Radeon Fury X which did not have enough power to drive all the games I play with very high settings.
I was hopping for even better performace from Vega 64 rather than similar to GTX 1080, but as many already mentioned hopefully performance will get a little bit better with driver updates over the next months.

I take the positive points from the Tom's Hardware review and I am glad that I did not buy the Liquid cooled Vega 64 version.
As the review shows, the cooling potential of the Factory Liquid cooled Vega 64 will not be enough.
It is not worth it for the extra 100€ that it would have cost me.

I prefered rather to pay 117€ extra for a water block "EK-FC Radeon Vega - Nickel" and then expand my current custom water cooling loop.
I have a custom water loop in my PC where I can put upto two 240mm radiator and one 120mm radiator.
I used this setup before on a Radeon 290x plus CPU with good cooling results.
Currently I am running a single 240mm radiator for the i7-7700K only as Fury X had it's own closed loop cooling solution.

My intention was from beginning to change the blower cooler on the Vega 64.
As Tom's review shows, I should expect better stable higher Clock Rates than with original blower cooler once I finish my custom water loop setup.