• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Water cooling upgrade

Hi, so I would like to upgrade my air cooler for a water cooler but I dont really know anything about it especially the fact that I would like to buy a water cooling for this cpu :

http://www.ncix.com/detail/amd-fx-8320-8-core-3-5-4-0ghz-e8-76933-1277.htm?affiliateid=7474144

And switch later to water cool like this one (at least going from AMD to Intel) :

http://www.ncix.com/detail/intel-core-i7-4790k-unlocked-d5-97888-1277.htm?affiliateid=7474144

I dont even know if I can do that, right now my case can be a bit hot and Im really worried about heat...even if its nothing I would like to go for it.

Anyone having an idea on which one could be good to pick ?

Thanks !
PS: I dont have any price range actually. And here is my case (for dimensions) :

http://www.ncix.com/detail/bitfenix-ghost-atx-nanochrome-coating-1f-73006.htm?affiliateid=7474144

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
If it's just the cpu, a good AIO (from Corsair for example) would be enough. It might also be able to fit both the cpu sockets on two different motherboards. I'm about to turn my chips for tea so someone else will probably provide the groundwork!

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
If it's just the cpu, a good AIO (from Corsair for example) would be enough. It might also be able to fit both the cpu sockets on two different motherboards. I'm about to turn my chips for tea so someone else will probably provide the groundwork!
want to get into water cooling?
2 options:

Closed loops or All in one systems, they dont requiere any added maintenance over the loop, just a little clean on rad fins,
take a look:

and there are custom liquid or water cooling systems, they requiere more manintenance, bleed and also made by yourself or somebody, also you can add blocks for chillin' down VGA, motherboard and more!

Hi the54thvoid, thanks for the answer, I was thinking of AIO too, a custom water cooling would be too much for me right now.

Anyone having an idea on some good water cooling to aim for ? Maybe I should have post in "System Builder Advice" side of the forum...should I ?

edit: Ho thanks for the reply peche, like I said I thinking of AIO and not custom right now, the main heat coming from cpu, despite a good ventilation (4 fans) Im still worried somtimes but cpu and others are fine, its mainly due to heavy cpu usage I guess.

edit2: I think Im going to look into custom cooling the day I'll go for SLI or things like that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer cadaveca, but wow 200$ for this, I dont have actual price range but still I was thinking about something around +/- 100$. Most of AIO Ive checked was around 100-120$, wasnt expecting going above that unless there is a real difference in performance ?

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Hi the54thvoid, thanks for the answer, I was thinking of AIO too, a custom water cooling would be too much for me right now.

Anyone having an idea on some good water cooling to aim for ? Maybe I should have post in "System Builder Advice" side of the forum...should I ?

edit: Ho thanks for the reply peche, like I said I thinking of AIO and not custom right now, the main heat coming from cpu, despite a good ventilation (4 fans) Im still worried somtimes but cpu and others are fine, its mainly due to heavy cpu usage I guess.

edit2: I think Im going to look into custom cooling the day I'll go for SLI or things like that.
we are here to help each other lad... dont worry,

Aio's are excellent, i have one running on my system, Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro,

also for further information you can take a watch to this:

How is your AIO or ScS water cooling doing !

Regards!

Ive checked the Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro and it seems a LITTLE overpriced for me haha (around 400$ if it was the right one), in fact I live in canada and its not that hot like I was leaving in mexico or something, summer can be tough tho but still I dont think I need something that efficient to keep my cpu cold, I dont know...I think I didn't realized how pricy AIO could be.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Ive checked the Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro and it seems a LITTLE overpriced for me haha (around 400$ if it was the right one), in fact I live in canada and its not that hot like I was leaving in mexico or something, summer can be tough tho but still I dont think I need something that efficient to keep my cpu cold, I dont know...I think I didn't realized how pricy AIO could be.
Look at Corsair H110 then. I have one on my X99/5930K, works great. Should be able to find it on sale for around $100 or so. AIO cooling is all going to be $100-$200 here in Canada.

They shipped many 8350 w/ an AIO, and although the AIO was fairly decent, the oversized 120mm rad just wasn't enough for me on hot days (30c ambient).

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
come on !!
http://www.ncix.com/detail/thermaltake-water-3-0-extreme-s-e3-104119.htm

http://www.ncix.com/detail/thermaltake-water-3-0-ultimate-clw007-pl12bl-a-1f-102556.htm

regards,

I would like to add that all CLCs (closed loop coolers) are AIOs, (All in One). But not all AIOs are CLC.
CLCs are sealed coolant systems while some AIOs are a pre-built and filled component system. EK Predator and Swiftech H140-X, H220-X & H240-X are component systems.