• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

water pump questions

I have an older blue mcp600 that doesn't like my loop; I guess the loop doesn't have enough restriction to flow and the pump will start pumping then stall; I tried pinching the pump outlet line and it continues to pump while the line is pinched slightly, as long as the outlet line is pinched slightly the pump keeps going, but as soon as I let off on the hose, the impeller stalls. Is this something common to the mcp600? Are there any spec's on what the pump requires for pressure/restriction to continue to pump? will it make any difference in temps if I had a pump that didn't need restriction compared to using a flow restriction on the mcp600 outlet? what's another pump that would work with a low pressure 1/2" loop? I have a via aqua 1300 in there now and it's working, but it sounds like it's about worn out. I got the mcp to replace it :(

maybe I can turn this into a "recommend me a pump" question.. Here's the specs "low budget" .5 liter res, 1/2" fittings to pump, 1/2" fittings on 9"x7" heatercore with full shroud, suck through panaflow 12g12v 120mm fan, runs on 12volts or 5volts "quiet mode" an mcw6000 refitted with 1/2" barbs, ontop of a venice core 939 a64 3400+, 1/2" fittings out to mcw60 on a HD2900xt, 1/2" out to res.. I don't mind using either AC or DC pump, I don't want alot of heat dump, cause I only have the one fan on the radiator/core, even though it's a powerfull fan that will suck a T-shirt up to the radiator when standing a few inches away when running at 12v, I plan to use it most of the time at 5v quiet mode.

I tried the suggestion in the link for the via aqua impeller noise and it worked, the clattery vibration noise is gone, but the pump has a hard time starting up after shimming in the gap with a piece of nylon tube. Once it gets going everything is fine and nice and quiet.

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far
Since your pump was discontinued a few years ago (forever in Comp years) I would look at a Liang DDC with an aftermarket top.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking into the 355 or 350 with an ek top. My brother has something like that on his PC, working out good for him but I wanted to get my project going this weekend. Since everything is kinda old on my current project "discontinued a few years ago" :p It does seem like forever..

Waterblock is modified mcw6000 with 1/2" OD solder on barbs Old copper/brass heatercore, cooling an old a64 3400+ venice 939, I don't wanna spend anymore money on it. Since the noise from the via aqua 1300 wasn't the pump crapping out, "fixed with the nylon tube shim mod" I'm going to stick with it for a while. The Via Aqua 1300 seems to be working OK, idle temps are 25-27C at default cpu/ram settings :)