• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Watercooled GPU but HOT backplate

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Air temp inside the case, temperature in the room, water temp...

Man, take a physics class. The backplate being hot is not going to affect the temperature in your room, or the water temp. Well, actually it will, but it will make the water temp lower since the heat the backplate is dissipating won't be going into the fluid, so the fluid will actually be slightly cooler.

I'd bet the zotac block doesn't touch the Memory VRM as well

Actually, it does.

What it comes down to at the end of the day is your unrealistic expectations on what a waterblock should be doing. It does not cool every hot component of the card. It doesn't matter what waterblock you put on a 1080Ti, or any graphics card, the backplate will heat up because all the components on the PCB are producing heat, and the backplate is going to absorb that heat.

Zotac1.jpg

Zotac2.jpg

Last edited:
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Well... I just learned that the ek water block for the aorus xtreme edition 1080 ti DOES NOT cover the memory VRM section...!?!

What the hell were ek thinking lol
See picture here
https://imgur.com/gallery/QExpP

Here's the block I should have bought instead... Man the obstacle just never stop adding up when doing pc watercooling lol
https://imgur.com/gallery/ZnXK2

You're over estimating things. That memory vrm puts out negligible heat, estimates put it around 1-3 watt. The stock cooler doesn't even really cool it much. Take a look, its covered by 1/4 in thick thermal pad that's basically useless. If EK didn't deem it needing to be actively cooled they probably know what they are doing.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
You're over estimating things. That memory vrm puts out negligible heat, estimates put it around 1-3 watt. The stock cooler doesn't even really cool it much. Take a look, its covered by 1/4 in thick thermal pad that's basically useless. If EK didn't deem it needing to be actively cooled they probably know what they are doing.

Man, take a physics class. The backplate being hot is not going to affect the temperature in your room, or the water temp. Well, actually it will, but it will make the water temp lower since the heat the backplate is dissipating won't be going into the fluid, so the fluid will actually be slightly cooler.
Actually, it does.

What it comes down to at the end of the day is your unrealistic expectations on what a waterblock should be doing. It does not cool every hot component of the card. It doesn't matter what waterblock you put on a 1080Ti, or any graphics card, the backplate will heat up because all the components on the PCB are producing heat, and the backplate is going to absorb that heat.

View attachment 93318
View attachment 93319

I actually would be happy if the back plate is doing it's job which is to support the card and get hot, it's another heat spreader, so it's dispersing the heat correctly. I'd be more concerned if it was cool to the touch under load, course he could always add a fan to the back of it or go refrigeration cooling or just step down to a 1060/1050Ti.

I think worrying is like rocking a chair, it's something to do but gets you no where.

Last edited: