• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Watercooling Setup

TPLSolutions

Hello,

First of all this is my first post, so hey everybody.

I've recently bought a new bunch of hardware and got into the whole cooling thing, having always been a programmer and just building my PC I generally never went for such extreme systems before but now I've started I'm hooked.

I built a PC with the following specifications:

CPU: AMD x6 1090T
Mobo: ASUS Crosshair IV
Mem: Kingston HyperX 4x2GB
Graphics: Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 5970
PSU: Corsair 1000w

That is the basic system, in an Antec 1200 case.

With that I bought a Corsair H50 "water cooler", pre filled closed loop system, and so far so good with that, my idle temperatures are around 32 C and 52 C under load overclocked at 4 GHz stable, with the memory running around 1550 MHz.

I play quite alot of games now, and I have been getting the itch to upgrade to full on water cooling with a dual loop system to cool the CPU and GPUs, but I'm a bit nervous.

The H50 is a great product, it does the job really quite nicely, I adapted it slightly and put the fan that came with it in the bottom of the case for additional air flow, and setup a push-pull system on the radiator using 2x Akasa Viper fans (pretty yellow ones).

I just put some well hidden cathode blue tubes in there and got a HyperX memory cooler fan setup, but I want lower CPU and GPU temperatures.

So far my research indicates I'm better off using a non conductive fluid as my biggest fear is smoking this hardware I love.

So I'm thinking of using this:

Feser One UV Blue Cooling Fluid 1 Litre

Feser One UV Blue Cooling Fluid 1 Litre | Ebuyer.c...

(As you may have noticed I'm in the UK so I have to find a UK supplier for any products)

My question is, if I want to fit a water block to the CPU and the 5970 graphics card, will I need a dual loop system as I suspect?

I am looking for the ultimate cooling performance that I can achieve (without being unrealistic), and I've seen a few nice looking blocks for the 5970 GPUs. The AM3 CPU seems to be available from a whole bunch.

Would you people who know about this sort of thing have any recommendations of what to do in this situation?

I am eager to buy and get going but I don't want to make a fool of myself and buy crap and get poor performance or worse still blow my hardware to high heaven with leaks where I was too much of a noob to do my research.

Any help is hugely appreciated and I apologise for the essay!

Thanks,

Lee.

TPLSolutions

Ah, I'm not in the US, I'm in the UK, and I think your loop is for an AM2 socket CPU, mine is AM3.

Sorry. :(

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
the socket is the same as am2/am2+/am3

that block is one of the best amd blocks out there

TPLSolutions

Last edited:

TPLSolutions

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
looks like a good one! im using a danger den one in my i7

System Name If you name your systems, get a boy/girlfriend...
Processor i7 4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Custom waterloop around Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Case HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Windows 10 x64
My question is, if I want to fit a water block to the CPU and the 5970 graphics card, will I need a dual loop system as I suspect?

Hi,

I'd recommend you don't go for dual loop. It's unnecessary.
Also, powerful pumps don't change much either.

Avoid reservoirs with pump built-in. They're loud.
Better put a pump on a dampening suspension at the bottom of the case and a separate reservoir somewhere high.

All you need for excellent cooling performance is one loop with large (and thick) radiator(s).
For particularly quiet and efficient cooling, I recommend thick radiators (like XSPC RX series) with high static pressure type fans (like Scythe Gentle Typhoon).

You'll have to do some research to find how many, and how long radiators you can fit in your Antec 1200.

Cheers

TPLSolutions

One loop would certainly be easier.

Do you think that it would be enough to get impressive cooling with an AMD x6, and the 5970's 2 GPUs in there?

I've found a couple of nice looking blocks for 5970 card. Expensive and sadly not UK based, but I need to do more searching.

What do you think of the radiator I listed above? Would that cover it?

I believe I can fit a 3x120mm radiator in this case down the front.

Thanks,

Lee. :)

System Name If you name your systems, get a boy/girlfriend...
Processor i7 4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Custom waterloop around Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Case HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Windows 10 x64
3x120 will be enough to cool your system (as long it's "thick" type, like XSPC RX360).
However, don't expect miracles.
You'll probably have to add another 1x120, or use single 4x120, to get superb cooling and overclocking potential.

If you're not sure whether you can fit 4x120 rad in your case, go for 3x120 and see. If it's not enough, you can always buy another rad later, and add it anywhere to existing loop.

If you need UK based block for 5970, why not this: http://www.xspc.biz/razor5970.php

I know I start looking like XSPC sales representative :)
Thing is, I've got RX360 and HD4890 block from them and both do their job very well.

Also, make sure you go for 1/2"ID 3/4"OD tubing. It gives better flow and looks better.
Cheers,

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10

TPLSolutions

Hey,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Do you think that CPU block is better than the one I said about above?

What I'm looking for is the system to be efficient enough for a substantial overclock beyond the 4 GHz I already run, and lower temperatures.

I wouldn't mind it looking cool too that's why I figured in the UV reactive fluid.

I'm hoping for 4.4 or 4.5 GHz stable with a small overclock on the graphics card, which with all due respect to Sapphire/ATi has inadequate cooling, as it runs 60 C idle temperatures sometimes.

I know the 5970 is supposed to cope with it, but lower is better always right?

Also that website you quoted Robal, nice site! I have been limiting myself to Ebuyer as I know they're reputable but it's epic to see a nice dedicated w/c style shop.

One more question and it may seem silly this one but for some reason from the research I done I can't remember if it said stay away from copper or not in terms of blocks, that's why I selected that nickel one.

For example:

EK Water Blocks EK-Supreme HF - Acetal+Nickel For ...

Thanks,

Lee.

Last edited:

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
My input on it, don't go water in high hopes for a better OC. Go with watercooling for silence with a possibility of higher clocks. But yes, the block is better but by a fraction, only suggested it as its a better block for same price.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
I wouldn't mind it looking cool too that's why I figured in the UV reactive fluid.

I don't know about that particular fluid but there are horror stories about using liquids that include dyes. Supposedly they clog up blocks and leave gunk behind. In addition, from what I've read the ones labeled "Non-Conductive" are only non-conductive for a temporary period (Just like Distilled Water). I see a lot of threads saying "Just use distilled water with some PT-Nuke and buy UV Reactive Tubing if you want it".

I don't know though, that's just what I've read. I'm sure more experienced watercoolers can comment on this.

IronRuler

System Name Finally
Processor AMD Phenom II 720BE
Motherboard ASRock M3A780GXH/128M
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
Memory 4GB DDR3.
Video Card(s) Haven't chosen.
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB
Display(s) AOC 21.5 1920x1080
Case Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Coolermaster GX-750W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
I don't know about that particular fluid but there are horror stories about using liquids that include dyes. Supposedly they clog up blocks and leave gunk behind. In addition, from what I've read the ones labeled "Non-Conductive" are only non-conductive for a temporary period (Just like Distilled Water). I see a lot of threads saying "Just use distilled water with some PT-Nuke and buy UV Reactive Tubing if you want it".

I don't know though, that's just what I've read. I'm sure more experienced watercoolers can comment on this.

You are absolutely right.

Processor R9 5950x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling EK 360mm AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16gb (CL16@3800MHz)
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe | Intel 660p 2TB NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB323QK 4K 144Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Objective2 Amp/DAC | GoXLR | AKG K612PRO | Beyerdynamic DT880| Rode Pod Mic
Power Supply Corsair AX 850w
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite V2
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB "Cherry MX Brown"
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Window 11 Pro

true, check my build log @ sig for some pics, i just used distilled water and uv tube, and ek supremem hf is one of the best gonna grab one again for 2nd pc