• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wattage lock on a i7 9750H

slicedbread

Hi!

I just recently started to learn about undervolting because my dell laptop is a literal oven. I have a Dell G7 7590 with a i7 9750H and a 2080 max-HQ. When i run the quick TS bench, i find that my wattage peaks at 35.6W when it should be reaching over 70W easily. This only happens when I put an extremely low speedshift number, 0-32. Is my laptop physically rejecting the power change or is there something I can do?
1643102639069.png

compared to
1643102666310.png

im undervolting the core to -200; ICC to 250, cache to -125; ICC to 250, and igpu to -45

Attachments

• 1643102666249.png
    1643102666249.png
    203.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Your first screenshot shows that Speed Shift EPP is checked and set to 128. That EPP setting can interfere with maximum performance.

For most recent computers, there is no need to check the ThrottleStop - Speed Shift EPP option. Windows 10 should be capable of managing this setting. You can use ThrottleStop to access the Windows High Performance power plan. This should automatically set EPP to 0 for maximum CPU speed regardless of load. When you switch to the Balanced power plan, Windows will change EPP to 84. This should still allow maximum CPU speed when loaded but will allow the CPU to slow down when lightly loaded.

On my computer, the Windows Power Saver power plan sets EPP to 153. This might be a useful setting when running on battery power.

1643140381623.png

Clear the Speed Shift EPP box, change Windows power plans and watch the monitoring table in the FIVR window to see what EPP values your computer uses.

slicedbread

Your first screenshot shows that Speed Shift EPP is checked and set to 128. That EPP setting can interfere with maximum performance.

For most recent computers, there is no need to check the ThrottleStop - Speed Shift EPP option. Windows 10 should be capable of managing this setting. You can use ThrottleStop to access the Windows High Performance power plan. This should automatically set EPP to 0 for maximum CPU speed regardless of load. When you switch to the Balanced power plan, Windows will change EPP to 84. This should still allow maximum CPU speed when loaded but will allow the CPU to slow down when lightly loaded.

On my computer, the Windows Power Saver power plan sets EPP to 153. This might be a useful setting when running on battery power.

View attachment 233923

Clear the Speed Shift EPP box, change Windows power plans and watch the monitoring table in the FIVR window to see what EPP values your computer uses.
Oh that makes sense thank you!!!!