1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WD Green... being too green with my music?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by MN12BIRD, Feb 20, 2010.

1. MN12BIRD

Mar 9, 2009
    471 (0.17/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Okay so I have several Hard Drives in my machine one of them being a 1.5TB WD Green that holds all my music and movies. I listen to music a lot and it's usually fine but about twice a day (after listening to music for an hour or more) it will randomly pause. Right in the middle of a song (and while I'm here using the PC) it just stops playing for about 2 seconds and then goes on its way. If the songs are on another drive they will never do this. Well actually they will if I pause a song, go away for some time, the computer spins down the HD and when I come back and hit play you get music for about 10 seconds and then it pauses for 2 seconds as the HD spins up and then it continues. I think that's just the fact that that 10 seconds of music was still in the cache. This is just like that except it's happening in the middle of a song while it's playing and the PC is being used!!! It's like the HD stopped spinning right in the middle of a song and then took 2 seconds to spin back up and it interrupts the song.

So any ideas what's up with this?
  2. slyfox2151

Jan 14, 2009
    2,628 (0.93/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well my green drives dont seem to do this, but they are in raid 0..

a quick solution woud be to turn off HDD spin down....

HDD's use alsmost no power and thus wont save much electricty having them turn off.