1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WD HDD LBA Error

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by GoFigureItOut, Dec 4, 2013.

1. GoFigureItOut

Thanks Received:
    I have a 160 Western Digital drive that's behaving very strange.

It was in one of my laptops, all of a sudden the laptop would not boot. I took the drive out and plugged into my desktop Windows would not recognize the drive. So, I boot into Linux on my desktop, success! Linux was able to: mount, create a partition, and write to the drive. When I went back to Windows, the hard drive shows up, but it's unable to do anything with the drive. The hard drive is listed in the disk management, but its black mean unallocated. Windows is unable to partition and format the drive. I thought writing zeros will remedy the problem, however I get an LBA error.

Ultimate Boot CD has a few hard drive tools for this exact problem, but the tools are made for different drives. Is it possible those tools on a WD? For example, Seagate has a tool called SeaTools. Would that cause irreversible damage to the hard drive?

2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately, the drive is dying so there's nothing you can do for it and will have to replace it.

GoFigureItOut says thanks.
  3. GoFigureItOut

Thanks Received:

That's what I was afraid of, thanks.

4. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Is the drive still under warranty perhaps? In the first instance you could check the serial number on WD's website and just RMA it if it shows under warranty. If not, I assume it came with that laptop, so is that under warranty?

5. GoFigureItOut

Thanks Received:
    I just check with Western Digital website and the hard drive warranty ended 5/2/2013

6. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Shame. Don't forget that this is based on the manufacturing date of the drive though.

In the meantime it could have been sold to you a year later and that's when your warranty starts, so check the warranty on your laptop. If it's still within it, then RMA that.