• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WD SN770 2TB - good for laptop? Power consumption?

So SN770 2TB has got pretty much the same price as 970 Evo Plus 2TB. I don't really need PCIe 4.0, as its for Zephyrus G14 which supports 3.0 anyway but since it's the same price, I thought that its better to be ready for the future.
But what about Idle power consumption of this model? WD usually has got higher Idle consumption than Samsung and they say that this is the most important factor for laptops. And what about temperature as 970 Evo Plus can have high temperature in laptops they say?

Last edited:
My worry would be how hot the SN770 is going to be in your laptop. All I can say is that its bigger brother the SN870 1TB that I have runs incredibly hot that it really needs a heat sink to keep things cool in my PC

Devin Swarvski

I think it would depend on what you are going to do with the SSD. SN770 has the speed but basically it's using pretty cheap Gen4 components + DRAM-Less design to make this SSD more affordable, which means that it's not really built for processing heavy workloads. If you are, I think 970 Evo plus or addlink's S70 with DRAM would be better, since they are more durable and can handle more stress.
As for the temperature, I'm pretty sure the 970 Evo Plus or S70 will handle it better than the SN770.

System Name MESIN TEMPUR
Processor INTEL XEON L5420
Motherboard MSI P35 NEO2
Cooling Deep cool ice edge mini fs v2.0
Memory 8 Gb
Video Card(s) Radeon HD 7770
Storage SSD 512Gb + HDD 2Tb
Display(s) LG Monitor 24 inch
Case Dark Flash Aigo
Power Supply Corsair CV 450 W
it will run hot for laptops for that model