• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

weird 3pin fan plug help needed!

System Name My PC
Processor i7 4790k @4.4ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte z97m-d3h
Cooling Corsair H105
Memory 4x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133-9-11-11-31-1T
Video Card(s) GTX970 Stric oc
Storage Samsung 840Pro 512GB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT
Case Lian Li 359
Audio Device(s) Denon DA-300USB / Denon AH-D5000
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure Optical
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win10 64-bit home
Hello!

I recently bought a Powerwalker VFI 2000TG UPS, not knowing that it comes with two 80mm fans that spin non-stop at 5000rpm and make a hell of a noise! (50db claimed, quite accurate i think).

As I wanted to have this UPS for my PC in my room, I decided to buy two Noctuas 80mm (much more silent, nearly same claimed airflow) that spin at 1800rpm to replace the ones in the UPS.

The problem is I did not expect that these 5000rpm fans use a different 3pin version than the one we all know.

You can see the white 3pin in the picture below being weird and small (with the two thick lines on its top being closer to each other than normal) compared to the normal 3pin plug of the noctua.

Can somebody answer me the following question:

-Is it "safe" if I swap the plugs so that I can finally use the Noctuas on the UPS?

Note that the cabling on the stock fan is "red-yellow-black" while on the Noctua it is "yellow-red-black". Should I swap this too?

Thanks for any help!

edit: I dont know why but when I attach the picture, it shows upside-down :D

Red to red, black to black, yellow to yellow. Splice the wires or remove the wires from the plastic plugs with the connectors attached and swap the plastic plugs. Just make sure you get the wire order correct. You've got pics...so it shouldn't be a problem. Nothing to remember.

Last edited: