1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weird Internet issue

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by horse2000, Apr 6, 2010.

1. horse2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been having a DSL issue for about a year now. My ISP doesn't think they are at fault but I think are full of it.

Basically my DSL modem will at random drop my connection. It says the DSL i up, but my connection is down. Judging from the lights on the modem, I think its trying to re-authenticate my user and just gets stuck in an infinite loop. I have to unplug the modem, and them 'sometimes' it will reconnect. Other times I just leave it overnight, and it works in the morning.

When it does this I cannot ping, or do any name resolution.

Something stranger happened this afternoon. I refreshed my server list while Playing a Steam game, and like usual, it dropped my internet connection (I have read about this in this forum and that is not my immediate issue before anyone comments on that). The only difference today was I was already connected to a game, and it still ran without any issues. I ALT-TAB'ed out of the game and tried to hit the web, no luck. Went back, still had 30 ping with the game server I was connected to.

How is that even possible. When I tried to browse to the IP of my modem, the webpage just set there, like the modem is overheating and freaking out or something. This time around, I let it sit with no activity for about 5 minutes, and all of a sudden I was back again.

Does anyone else experience this with their DSL. I had Cable internet for two years previous to this crap DSL, and never had 'this' kind of an issue.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    tried messing with your router? it could be crashing, that might make it look like that since PPPOE would be dieing, modem with a built in routeR?

3. horse2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Modem handles the PPPoE. Router is seperate. I've tried running the modem in Bridged mode, and letting my Netgear Router do PPPoE, but its doing the same thing. Im getting my third modem in the mail today, but I dont think that will actually fix anything. At this point I think their may be something with where my outside line connects to the ATM, or whatever its called.

I've ran it without the router in the loop, just the modem, same thing also. It's not specific to my pc either. I run a windows PC and Linux laptop all hooked up to a aswitch, and a fe wother laptops, all die when the modem dies. And any of the machines can be the only thing accessing it when it happens.

4. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    whose your provider?

5. horse2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Provider is AT&T

6. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    there is your problem.

I don't quite have your same problem, however, my connection will dip down to unforgivable speeds for DAYS AT A TIME.

AT&T is in the middle of a class action suite dealing with these exact issues. (AKA they are getting sued)

unfortunately, if your like me they are the only DSL option.

7. horse2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, they are the only option. I havent had any speed issues before, well besides it already slow by default...

Where I live, AT&T is it, I used to have Mediacom before, for Cable internet, and I never had this problem. I hate the service and hate calling for help, when I can fix almost everything myself. However, this type of thing is way out of my abilities as it is solely on the ISP, IMHO

8. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    I think that it's their infrastructure. (AKA we are SOL)

I have had these problems periodically for ~18months

9. horse2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, cool thanks for the replies. Not really what I was looking for, but good enough. :p

10. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    sorry I don't have better answers, but hopefully the class action suite will pan out and AT&T will get their shit into piles.

11. horse2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    true. I hope so too. Thanks either way though.

12. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    Try and get them to replace your modem, or have a technician check your line. Threaten to goto some1 else, they might believe it even though no1 else is around

13. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    sounds like DNS issues to me.

i'd try another modem, to be honest. sounds like you're overloading it/crashing it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. horse2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well new modem arrived today, seems to be working better. they finally sent me a different model. I'll know in a week or two if I break this one too.

15. horse2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    And it is still screwy. I hate AT&T service, and their "Technical Support" I'm just going to call the local office and yell until someone shows up at my house.