• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weird red devil 6600 xt no output issue

frozenwind

After many hours researching online and troubleshooting, I found that the cause is the displayport cable.

The whole long story: Got a new build two months ago. i7-12700K, msi z690-a pro ddr4 wifi, powercolor red devil 6600 xt, corsair 8Gx2 3600 cl16, seasonic 850w. At first I didn't have the gpu and just used the integrated gpu. Everything was good, until a few days ago I got the 6600 xt.

The problem is the gpu stops working after installing the driver in windows. But before installing the driver, the pc boots fine and the gpu has output normally in bios and in windows with basic video driver. If I use the integrated gpu, I could see that the 6600 xt has a code 43 in device manager. I have an old pc, i7-6700k with rx 480. So I can do some tests. The 6600 xt works perfectly in my old pc. And the rx 480 works perfectly in my new pc. Put 6600 xt to the other PCIE x 4 slot and it works. This is so weird. Because of this, I would not think the cable is the cause.

After some searching, I got same common reasons and solutions, like ULPS issue, windows auto driver update issue, not using two separate cables from psu issue, motherboard faulty, gpu faulty. But none of these solves my issue. Tried many different versions of driver, DDU and disabling ULPS. I started to doubt I got a faulty motherboard or gpu. But those with faulty hardware cases usually would not boot at all, not seeing post or windows before installing drivers. I tried all things I could think of, like limiting the PCIE to gen 3, not working. I was so frustrated and thinking of returning the 6600 xt.

However, I still wanted to try more. I doubt the reason is the PCIE connection. As I connect 6600 xt and integrated gpu together to the monitor, the second cable is a hdmi backup cable. Sometimes I connect 6600 xt with HDMI. Once I unplugged the PSU to make some hardware changes and booted to bios to set PCIE to gen1. 6600 xt worked with driver installed in windows! This was the first time it worked! I am so happy. Then I tried reboot and setting to gen2, gen3, gen4. All worked. After successful boot, it runs totally normal. I think the gpu should not be faulty. Then I wanted to turn the setup back to normal. I switched to the displayport cable and reboot. It died again.

So I switched back to PCIE gen1. Not worked. I was totally confused. So random. Then I kept trying but no luck. I thought of giving up again. The next day after I switching rx 480 and 6600 xt , it worked again! Then changed to displayport and rebooted. Died again. This is unbelievable. So I started to think that it seems all working result came after a cold boot (unplug psu before). After online searching, found some cases talking about gpu only working after cold boot. So I tried many cold boot, not working either.

Tried to think any other clues and it seems that it was using hdmi while working and then failed after changing to my main cable, the displayport. So I searched online again about displayport cable, and found there are also some cases about displayport cable causing failure boot. Then combining the cold boot and displayport clues, finally, I found the exact problem conditions and solutions.

How to reproduce the failure: boot with the displayport cable, then when get into windows, if amd driver is installed, then no display output.

The strange things: 1, with the displayport cable, the system can boot and post, and works in bios and windows without installing drivers. 2, after booting into windows with the hdmi cable, switching to the displayport cable without reboot is fine. 3, If the system boots with the displayport cable and fails, reboot with hdmi cable does not work either. 4, the display cable would not causing any issue with rx 480 and integrated gpu.

Solution: After it failed with the displayport cable, must use the hdmi cable and get a cold boot (unplug the psu to cut off power completely before turn on again) to work normally.

So WTH, how the cable with drivers make the whole device not booting completely, but it will work after windows and the 6600 xt already boot successfully? The cable also was bought a few years ago and should be 1.2 at best not 1.4.

frozenwind

update: Been using it very well for many days. after a shutdown and boot, it never works again in windows. Previous work around, cold boot with HDMI cable didn't work anymore. I even bought a new DP cable and with that cable reboot was fine. Still not sure what is the real problem.

ir_cow

Staff member
have your tried a different PCIe slot yet?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Sounds like a problem with the motherboard.

put card in a different machine

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Are there firmware updates for the monitor available? All my monitors with displayport have had updates at some point in their life, and sometimes they do fix connection issues

That said, the code43 makes me think its an issue within the system... have you inspected and cleaned the contact pins on the GPU, and blown compressed air into the problem slot?

You could also try the w1zzard method of taping the card down to 8x and seeing if that helps?

1643001673508.png

frozenwind

Sounds like a problem with the motherboard.

put card in a different machine
the card in my old PC works well. My old rx 480 card works well in my new PC, too. As said in the post, it is weird.

Are there firmware updates for the monitor available? All my monitors with displayport have had updates at some point in their life, and sometimes they do fix connection issues

That said, the code43 makes me think its an issue within the system... have you inspected and cleaned the contact pins on the GPU, and blown compressed air into the problem slot?

You could also try the w1zzard method of taping the card down to 8x and seeing if that helps?

View attachment 233673
The 6600 XT itself is already a x8 Gen4 card. I tried to set PCIE to gen 3, 2, 1. Didn't work at all. I have a old card rx 480, which is x16 gen3. It works well in my new PC.

View attachment 233673
The 6600 XT itself is already a x8 Gen4 card. I tried to set PCIE to gen 3, 2, 1. Didn't work at all. I have a old card rx 480, which is x16 gen3. It works well in my new PC.

a post of similar issue https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/atiflash-6600xt-error-43.290451/
He changed the card to Nvidia.
I already returned my 6600 XT, too. May get a new card later.