1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weird zoomed-in resolution in video playback

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Kamenos, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Kamenos New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello and thanks in advance,

a strange problem occured a few days ago on my desktop pc regarding video watching using video players. Every video is unwatchable because of the zoomed-in pixelated resolution that it now has. This happens with every video i try to watch, even ones that worked perfectly a week ago, as well as all the video players(i have tested it on MediaPlayerClassic, WindowsMediaPlayer, BSPlayer).
    This is an extremely specific problem that i have not found an answer for. For example, youtube etc has no issues whatsoever, and neither do i have issues when gaming. For that reason i have no idea where the problem actually comes from.
    Below you see samples from TheWalkindDead, GameofThrones and an NBA game in different vid players: screenshot.png
    below you see that the subtitles are still displayed as they always were without any problems. Also in the left corner it states in the media info(bsplayer) that the resol is 1280x720
    Naamloos.png

What i have tried so far:
    I have exhausted all options in the settings of the video players.
    I have uninstalled and re-installed my amd video drivers
    I have searched extensively on the net for a mention of this issue with no avail.

I have windows 7 64-bit SP1, an AMD Radeon HD 7950 graph card and an ACER monitor with 1920x1080 max

2. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    use vlc player.

hellrazor and Mindweaver say thanks.
  3. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It should be a setting in your Catalyst Control Center. I think it's "underscan/overscan" in the advanced settings.

EDIT: No this is used for black borders.. But your problem is probably in CCC. Just look around in CCC.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Kamenos New Member

Thanks Received:
    funnily enough, i just tried VLC player and it works fine. Which makes the whole thing even weirder.
    Looked in CCC but didn't find anything helpful.. :/

5. Peter1986C

Peter1986C

Thanks Received:
    Any codec pack pack like K-lite or CCCP installed? VLC ignores those.

Mindweaver says thanks.
  6. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm with natr0n, and use VLC Player for all videos. :toast:

@natr0n - You ninja'd that in there.. lol

Yea he can reset all settings in CCCP. I think you are on to something with "codec pack".

EDIT: I added a trouble shooting link for CCCP.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Kamenos New Member

Thanks Received:
    i didn't have any codec packs before the problem, afterwards though i installed k-lite and cccp to try and fix it. I just tried resetting in cccp but nothing changed..

8. keepgoing New Member

Thanks Received:

I had the same problem but found my solution by experimentation. In my case It was the graphics card control. My machine has a new AMD Radion with an associated AMD Catalyst Control Centre (American -> “Center”). The menu path used was: Video; Quality; Video Demo Mode. Enable Demo Mode and select "Full screen mode (enhancements off)". I then clicked on apply. I experiment further by toggling between enabled and not and in each case the problem came back/went away.

9. P4-630

P4-630

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

RCoon says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU