• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weirdest Bios issue never heard anyone else with the same issue!

Borley

Hi, I have got a weird issue with my Gigabyte 7970 gpu card,

I have had it around 7 months it is the 1000/1375 version this came out before the GHZ edition. It is 1.3 version voltage unlocked.
Most of the time I use it at stock clocks but when I play large maps in Battlefield 3 i up to 1150/1650 stock voltage +20% power
Well in the last 2 weeks I noticed through using the monitor overlay through afterburner that my clocks keep reverting back to the 1000/1375 stock clocks.

It may stick to 1150/1650 for say 1 round of BF3 but then automaticly revert back to stock.

I can't overclock/underclock they just don't stay, I mean I can apply them in afterburner , catalyst converter etc but on t monitoring it says 1000/1375 I have tried different versions of afterburner and AMD drivers and other monitoring software with the same results. Even done a fresh windows install with the same outcome.

So then I tried bios flashing I have tried the stock bios to see if that fixed the problem from the gigabyte site and other bios for my card even the ghz version which initially shows 1050 core but then reverts back to 1000 core, how can this be surely if you flash a bios with a higher clock how can it revert back to stock as surely the stock setting I had have been overridden this is switch 1.

Sorry it's long winded I have been on the overclockers forums graphic cards section wher I bought thi from and they are baffled by it as well.
Well since i had a draft of this post i today unlocked the read only switch 2 and flashed that, guess what same results!

So in short

1) How can a bios resort back to original clocks when its been flashed with a higher clock, is there another bios somewhere as i thought once flashed thats it previous bios setting erased?

2)I should be able to RMA shouldn't i especialy as i can't downclock or overclock and its advertised as a good overcocker?

3)Can i insist of an unlocked voltage as thats what they were when they were released if not a refund?

4)How quick are Gigabyte at changeing as without a card i have no pc as i sold my old one?

I use Overclockers UK forums and noone seems to know there either.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Borley

Well im so happy
I can't believe i overlooked this
Right i tried more versions of Afterburner and CCC and on occasions my clocks would apply in the programs first time i used them, then after i tried again they would down clock
Well today playing BF3 clocks displayed 1000/1375mhz after i had changed to 1150/1650mhz, so carried on playing anyway, playing with Twitch stream in the background listening to it .
Well the stream stopped usual Flash bug in Twitch so i heard it stop and my clocks went back up to 1150/1650mhz
So this pointed to Twitch well Flash and indeed it is, i knew Flash could affect 2D clocks but not 3D
Googled and sure enough found a post if you use hardware acceleration on Flash it downs your clock
I thought i have done a fresh install though and i still had problems with clocks so perhaps its not that, i went into settings on the Twitch stream and sure enough it was ticked and Twitch had saved these settings so even with a fresh install it caused the problem and the reason why i could apply a OC first time after i tried a new driver/Afterburner was that i probably didn't have Twitch running in the background.
I:roll:'m a happy chappy