• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Well, build log, profession advancement... The works I guess!! :) Complete and Total Overkill part 3!!

Space Lynx

Astronaut
you know I’ll always cheer for 10gb internal networks but you know I’m bias

the new asus z490 $299 mobo comes with a 10gb pcie card (which usually retails for 100), so you get high end z490 board and a 10 gig card basically free, as the mobo itself is comparable in power stages, vrms to other 300 mobos.

its a pretty solid deal

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Better than the weird standards like 2.5 and 5g. I run all my stuff with SFP+ SMF modules though so 10g over copper isn’t something I’d step down too. For people building up it might be worth it though.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, Alphacool NexXxoS ST25 360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe x 2
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
I'm hoping soon, I can grab myself some water cooling loop hardware for my 3900X.. I have the parts I'm looking at and all I need to do next is have the cash to buy them.. Man when did EK kit become so expensive?? I think it's currently £200 for a pump and res combo, along with £120 for a rad (560 mind...) and then £90 ish for the AM4 block I like the look of... Ouch.. I have barbs and such here, but I do need some decent tubing. The last lot I had gave me plastiser issues in the tubing and such, so I'm wishing to try better tube next... Does anyone have any suggestions at all?

I went with EK-DuraClear, which they say is DEHP Free and also Phthalate Free

At first I was a bit put off by the cost of the EK pump/res combo but after dissembling/reassembling and running it, I was pretty satisfied with the quality for the price. I do regret getting the EK-DuraClear. It clouded almost immediately on me (plasticiser I guess) next time I'll try something else maybe the EK ZMT or hard line tubing.

System Name 3900x
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus X470 gaming 7 WiFi
Cooling Alphacool XT45 420mm Rad, 3 noctua 140 industrial 2000, EKWB EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 D5 PWM
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair 3200 C16 Dominator Platinum OC to 3733 16-16-16-32-48
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus GeForce® RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung Evo 970 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, Intel 660P 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD , Samsung 2TB 860 QVC
Display(s) AOC Q3279VWFD8
Case Thermaltake View 71
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster G6
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W with cable mods cables
Mouse Corsair Dark Core SE & Logitech G815 Keyboard
Keyboard Logitech G815
Software wIn 10 Pro possibly Manjaro at some point
At first I was a bit put off by the cost of the EK pump/res combo but after dissembling/reassembling and running it, I was pretty satisfied with the quality for the price. I do regret getting the EK-DuraClear. It clouded almost immediately on me (plasticiser I guess) next time I'll try something else maybe the EK ZMT or hard line tubing.

Not clouded for me at all so far

System Name Nilin
Processor Ryzen 9 5800x
Motherboard Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li Galahad AIO 360
Memory G. Skill TridentZ Neo 32gb 3600Mhz CL16-16-16-36
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3080
Storage Samsung Evo 960 250gb (System), Samsung Evo 860 500gb (Misc), Samsung 990 Pro 1Tb (Games)
Display(s) LG 27" UHD IPS, LG Ultragear 27" WQHD Nano IPS
Case InWin 303 (7x Fractal Prisma 120mm)
Power Supply Tt Toughpower Grand RGB 850W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 3
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/fs/21022952 (old system)
Well guys, I've been meaning to add some pics in this thread for ages and I've still yet to get around to it... So.... Now here some are!! :D

View attachment 159063 View attachment 159064 View attachment 159065

I was looking through a few bits and pieces a few weeks back and I thought I'd like to do something and make use of some more hardware so I'm hoping for a few suggestions from everyone really :)

I was wondering about doing something with my 5960X and one of the X99 boards. Well I'm not happy with the MSI so it was going to go into either the EVGA or Asrock board (suggestions??) but then I was wondering about grabbing a big Xeon as cheap as possible (not ES or QS stuff, just retail models) and then putting in the spare 1080 Ti card for some folding and crunching but I was wondering also about setting up possibly another file sharing PC (10Gb network etc.) but also consider as Isabelle seems to be Minecraft crazy at the moment, about setting up a server client on that.... It'll give me something to learn and if there's other ways I can learn to setup things, then I'm all for it :)

As for the X79 kit, I was considering to stick with a 4930k I'd forgot was in the Rampage Black board and see what I can do with that... Maybe a testing system or bit of fun to bench with or even a GPU testing rig... Anyone have any ideas?? :)

The X299 seems to be a bit of an issue simply because the 7980/9980/10980XE CPUs all seem to have done a runner and are costing way to much with all the excitement going on over at camp AMD.. I'd love to get one to just add it as a cruncher and a bit of a comparison CPU setup to the Ryzen 3900/3950X I have.. If I can ever splash out on a 3970X as I would like to, then well I'd love to do that too :) lol

A little more silliness, is that I've had a little sort out with the servers I've got left now :) Nothing like being a little OCD and trying to help yourself but I'm not so sure :laugh: Here's a few pics of that....

View attachment 159067 View attachment 159068 View attachment 159069 View attachment 159070 View attachment 159071 View attachment 159072 View attachment 159074

I really do need to 'upgrade' the carpet out there...
Anyways, I'm only ever planning to use the top 4 servers at once really, simply because the heat output and the fact that they are all a lot faster/more efficient, is the only real reason. These things can suck juice from the socket without any issues :laugh: :sad: Still, with all the plugs matching, with the ends and plugs labelled up, I now know which plug is doing what and so on.. Completely daft but thought it looked a little nicer :)
Oh and with the heat of the summer days, I've come to air conditioning... Well not really but it seems to help a little and even more so when I'm not at home or we don't have the conservatory door open to let the heat from the servers out (and now two more crunching machines!!) it can get a little toasty in there, so with the fan forcing and pushing a little more air through the servers, it does seem to help a little :) Since all the electric is free providing the solar and sun are working in harmony, for the amount of power they take, I'll try and keep the servers cool as possible :)

I'd done a little power test with the two servers I use and the two crunchers now sat on top of the server cabinet, with the 1070 folding away as well as all of them crunching WCG, it's pulling about 1100w ish... Now aside from ouchy on the power bill, for the amount of threads etc. crunching away, I didn't think it was so bad considering the age of the hardware :)

I'm hoping soon, I can grab myself some water cooling loop hardware for my 3900X.. I have the parts I'm looking at and all I need to do next is have the cash to buy them.. Man when did EK kit become so expensive?? I think it's currently £200 for a pump and res combo, along with £120 for a rad (560 mind...) and then £90 ish for the AM4 block I like the look of... Ouch.. I have barbs and such here, but I do need some decent tubing. The last lot I had gave me plastiser issues in the tubing and such, so I'm wishing to try better tube next... Does anyone have any suggestions at all?

I've also been able and lucky enough to be able to feed some more network cables out to the conservatory so instead of having a single cable and then it's splitting into an 8 way switch, I've got 6 cables out there now connected to my 24 port 1Gb switch.. It's such a shame my internet speeds suck (30Mb down/5Mb up) but there we go :) I won't bore you guys with pictures of that tho...

Now for a bit of a career update....
I've been applying or putting myself out for a change in job as well. Since nothing is happening with regards to me learning more Infrastructure stuff (not that this COVID-19 has helped and I'm not trying to defend the place I work at all) I'm trying to move myself on and get somewhere that I'm valued and actually wanted to push further in my career.
I think a few more years in 2nd line support/desktop support and with the jump into the Infrastructure side of things, I'd like to hope that when I hit my 5 years service, I might actually be able to jump up and on to some server based work supporting/setting up or something I think... I think I'd like to be like a project designer or something that I have a bit of a niche in. I do enjoy the putting together, building, configuring/learning and so on style of work and to be able to do that with large scale projects, meeting people/be in a team/maybe have a few people in a team I am responsible for and so on, I think that's where I'd like to be and end up to ultimately :)

I'll keep you all posted on the job front :) I'd like to think at some point I can move on and see what else is out there :) I need to tax my brain before I loose what little knowledge I have up there!! :laugh:

Well as always guys and possibly gals, if you have read this far you need another medal!!

I'm sure there where some other things I'd have liked to have mentioned but as it's gone 1am here and my girls woke me up this morning after about 5 hours sleep last night (much like tonight!!) I had best get some rest as I'm in 'work' tomorrow...

See you guys and gals soon :D :) :cool:
As always much appreciated pictures of Your mancave :laugh: :laugh: Im really in love in Your server box, it looks awesome.
...that x79 Dark though...:eek:
Work-wise, glad You have Your sights set in a direction! Keeping my fingers crossed!:D:D
btw: Make sure Your girls get enough exposure to PC parts, hopefully it will stay with them :D:D

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Wow guys, many thanks for all the replies to the thread :) :D I've bene trying to get some brain cells working to write out a reply and that's not worked, so now I'm just going to wing it :D (Bat pun! As he says in Lego Batman...)

Still :D

So, aside from the 10G network I'd like to build up and such for the moment, I'd like to focus a little on the hardware I'm on the eye out for.. As there's always something that I'd like to get my grubby little hands on, trouble is, there's so much I could buy and get in debt over, I'm trying to be good and just do things piece by piece.. I'm sure it won't work that way or end up that way, but I'll do my best :D

I have a list in my head of things that I'd like to get, firstly and I guess to be honest most importantly, lets start with my 3900X build...

Ryzen 3950X... I'd like to replace the 3900X I have and grab a 16C 32T Ryzen.. Most likely a big waste of cash but, for crunching and my OCD, well enough said! :D
Custom water again - Some parts are -
EK Velocity Water block - Not for the RGB by any means but the sleek clean look of the metal :)
I'm considering some EK Vardar 140mm white fans for the case fans, not so much the radiator fans.. Looking to try a bit of contrast between black case and what fans. If I could have got white rads, that would have been awesome... I was also looking into the Black Ice Nemesis GTR line of rads but I think even from the reviews I've seen, they are king of the hill but if I can get the CE560 rads for a little over £100, then the GTR's are nearer £200, they aren't going to be twice the performance I'm sad to say... Do love the naming of them tho, GTR.. Favourite car and all... still, moving on :D
I'm looking at a EK 560mm Coolstream CE rad, two I think, one for the CPU and the other for the GPUs (eventually) And a bit of overkill cooling never hurt anyone...
Two EK Plexi Quantum D5 pumps and res combos, possibly 300mm res... I think these must be one of the best combo's out there surely??

There's probably more at the point when I have the kit in front of me for how to get it fitted into the case and such like, but for the hardware side of things right now, that'll be what I'm after for that rig...

For the rest of the rigs and some for my collection of kit -

Isabelle's 1700X rig, I'd like to get a tower for that one. Isabelle likes the one the Mrs's has, the Fractical R5 in white.. I'm not sure how lucky I'll be to find another but...

My EVGA X299 Dark board... As I literally just have the motherboard (and it's as yet, never been opened!!) I'd like to fit it was a crazy ass CPU but at the moment, there's nothing really around which is kinda frustrating but not the end of the world. I'm looking for the 7980/9980/10980XE models in particular. I guess I need a little Intel crunching going on aside from the servers, so I'd like to pick one of those. I'm kinda leaning towards the 10980XE as it was a £1000 to buy new, so hopefully it could be a fair bit cheaper, especially with all the new AMD releases with the 3 series and the 4 series whenever they drop.. I live in hope :) Also with this on, I'd need the rest of the system, so that'll be a big ask and big money I'm not doubting to get sorted out. I do however have a spare 1080 TI with water block and I think some G Skill 3600 C16 RAM, so I suppose I could use that :D It's kinda on the back burner that one...

Next up is my Ryzen 2700 CPU.. I'm unsure quite what to do with this one. I would love to get it crunching as well and since I already have the Hero 7 non wifi, I'd like to try and grab the hero 7 wifi model. Now sadly from what I've been seeing the prices of these boards are still very high but I guess it is still something you can use with the 3 series CPUs and so on, so maybe that's why it's holding it's price so well? I was toying with the idea of a Asrock Tachci model, I believe the Ultimate model does have a 10G network port. I'm with @Solaris17 in that I can't get the idea behind these 2.5G and 5G wired network ports. Must be trying to keep the price of 10G higher for a while and then release 10G on everything as these others didn't catch on... I dunno :(
I've been toying with this to use the 1080 Ti I have spare also and use it as a Media type streamer since I can imagine having a beefy GPU to help with the 4k encoding and a good 8C 16T CPU as well would also make light work of that sort of thing.. I'm still not so sure tho... Suggestions anyone??
If I can find a Hero 7 Wi-Fi board, this will go in the collection with the other Crosshair Hero boards I have. I might MIGHT grab another Hero 8 with Wi-fi but I hate Wi-Fi lol But then if I do go stupid crazy, I could like to consider keeping the 3900X as a full time cruncher and then using the 3950X as a daily machine...

I do have some storage requirements which are for replacement drives in my Synology system. As mentioned a lot of times before, I have 6 x 4TB WD Reds in there (limited by 1Gb network which hence I'd like to change it for a 10Gb network...) but they aren't the fastest of drives (never really bought for speed considering the network bottleneck I have) but for the price at the time I bought all 6, best price to size ratio I could find.. I can fit a total of 10 drives in the case I have (Fractical Node 804) so there's space for more capacity if I need it :)
I'm looking to do the same again basically. I'd like to go for as big a drive as possible which gives me the best GB/TB per £ quite simply. I've looked into the Seagate Ironwolf drives but also noticed the Exos drives which I think have a better price, better warranty and are rated for longer and more writes etc. Now I'd never hit those usage figures for love or money but I am again thinking of best price/size performance here.. I'd like to I think, grab at least 4 to 6 drives to start with. Two to four in Raid 1 possibly (two pairs - might consider Raid 5) and then another two for backups as currently I have 6 drives which total the 12TB size I'm currently backing up. Sadly there's more data on the R730 I have, which I'd like to get pulled off and consolidated in the Synology rig.. It's been so stable and brilliant, I've really had nothing to complain about. Its a custom put together one but it's been so stable, just can't fault it.

On top of that lot, I wouldn't mind trying to grab some new coolers for more of the Ryzen CPUs I have here. The AMD Coolers are a load better than Intel stock coolers but nothing can best a fairly well priced (under £40 for example) aftermarket heatsink/fan combo.. Crunching machines here need to be kept as cool as possible and quiet.. That's the plan anyways!! :) The Arctic Freezer 34's I have aren't too bad but I believe the size of the base on them doesn't give them the best start possible. They don't quite cover the CPU for me which is a bit of a disappointment. They do however work fairly well :)

Apologies any/everyone if you have got this far (which is awesome cos you've not fallen asleep with all these rambling I'm doing!!) lots of text but so much rattling around in my little mind, I need to get it down and out there so new stuff can go in and I can hear back from people who are a lot more intelligent than me :D (Shouldn't be too hard to find that at all!! :laugh:)

Any feedback, suggestions, slaps around the face, feel free to reply!! :D

System Name 3900x
Cooling Alphacool XT45 420mm Rad, 3 noctua 140 industrial 2000, EKWB EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 D5 PWM
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair 3200 C16 Dominator Platinum OC to 3733 16-16-16-32-48
Storage Samsung Evo 970 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, Intel 660P 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD , Samsung 2TB 860 QVC
Case Thermaltake View 71
Keyboard Logitech G815
And i thought that I could ramble ! :D

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Too much in my little head and it all needed to come out lol That lot will surely keep me going but it's not everything :( Still, I do want to finish my projects, I hate things unfinished :(

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃B550-I Strix
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lone Industries L5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
On top of that lot, I wouldn't mind trying to grab some new coolers for more of the Ryzen CPUs I have here. The AMD Coolers are a load better than Intel stock coolers but nothing can best a fairly well priced (under £40 for example) aftermarket heatsink/fan combo.. Crunching machines here need to be kept as cool as possible and quiet.. That's the plan anyways!! :) The Arctic Freezer 34's I have aren't too bad but I believe the size of the base on them doesn't give them the best start possible. They don't quite cover the CPU for me which is a bit of a disappointment. They do however work fairly well :)

NOCTUA NOCTUA NOCTUA :rockout:

:laugh: Seriously though, you need to step up to a higher segment to get a baseplate on your air cooler as opposed to the inconsistent direct heatpipe contact. Any Noctua, or any Be Quiet Dark Rock family cooler.

The noise and thermal headroom is why I've always been a firm believer in getting a quality cooler (or even just a 212 Black) even when it's not strictly necessary. Stock coolers really aren't on the same level, regardless of how people seem to be in love with the Wraith Prism.

System Name 3900x
Case Thermaltake View 71
Keyboard Logitech G815
Too much in my little head and it all needed to come out lol That lot will surely keep me going but it's not everything :( Still, I do want to finish my projects, I hate things unfinished :(

Yeah I hear you there, sure most of us are like that. My own modest setup took 9 - 10 months to complete because I was Having to get it virtually piece by piece.

System Name 3900x
Case Thermaltake View 71
Keyboard Logitech G815
NOCTUA NOCTUA NOCTUA :rockout:

:laugh: Seriously though, you need to step up to a higher segment to get a baseplate on your air cooler as opposed to the inconsistent direct heatpipe contact. Any Noctua, or any Be Quiet Dark Rock family cooler.

The noise and thermal headroom is why I've always been a firm believer in getting a quality cooler (or even just a 212 Black) even when it's not strictly necessary. Stock coolers really aren't on the same level, regardless of how people seem to be in love with the Wraith Prism.

Until I swapped from air to water cooling the CPU, I didn't really believe the difference in noise, and I have two extra fans and the pump noise to compare to the air cooled.

System Name 1.FortySe7en VR rig 2. intel teliscope rig 3.MSI GP72MVR Leopard Pro .
Processor 1.3900x @stock 2. i7 7700k @5. 3. i7 7700hq
Motherboard 1.aorus x570 ultra 2. z270 Maximus IX Hero
Cooling 1.Hard tube loop, cpu and gpu 2. Hard loop cpu and gpu
Memory 1.Gskill neo @3600 32gb 2.hyperxfury 32gb @3000 3. 16gb hyperx @2400
Video Card(s) 1.GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC WaterForce WB 2. Aorus RTX2080 3. 1060 3gb. Arc 770LE 16 gb
Storage 1 M.2 500gb , 2 3tb HDs 2. 256gb ssd, 3tbHD 3. 256 m.2. 1tb ssd
Display(s) 1.LG 50" UHD , oculus rift S.2 MSI Optix MAG342C UWHD. SONY bravia 1080p, . 3.17" 120 hz display
Case 1. Thermaltake P5 2. Thermaltake P3
Audio Device(s) 1 Onboard 2 Onboard 3 Onboard
Power Supply 1.seasonic gx 850w 2. seasonic gx 750w
Mouse 1 ROG Gladius 2 Corsair m65 pro
Keyboard 1. ROG Strix Flare 2. Corsair F75 RBG 3. steelseries RBG
VR HMD rift and rift S and Quest 2.
Software 1. win10 pro 2. win10 pro 3, win10 home
Benchmark Scores 1.7821 cb20 ,cb15 3442 1c 204 cpu-z 1c 539 12c 8847 2. 1106 cb 3.cb 970
thats my type of room and de-core, id never want to go out, ive one just like it but with a little less compute kit but i make up for it by having about 15 to 20 telescopes "some ive built for folk and some i use" and imaging kit. well done and thanks for the view.

YoRick

So now all the boring text is out the way, I'd just like to ask about the forum to see if anyone else 'bothers' with this sort of thing at their home, whatever the scale.
Old thread, long thread, sorry did not read it all as I am headed to bed--but I also just found this site joined it and wanted to check out at least one article first; and I am glad it was yours. My 'short answer' is "no". The long answer is: "I'm about to be. And I started pricing things out more seriously today. Windows Server is a bit expensive to be adding on top of the price of a test bed and all, so I started looking at Server Essentials to avoid the cost of CALs. Well... I stumbled across something in my research that made me go hmmm.... and rekindled an old desire. LINUX! Build a bare-bones test bed, download Ubuntu server, and learn how to install, configure and run a Linux based PDC, SDC, DNS, DHCP, and I saw something about using OpenLDAP for an AD DS linux based emulation. I could then put a $115 virtual Windows 10 Pro and network that with my home PC (which I refuse to use for a test bed for these purposes--I don't want to crash this thing), and then play around with it. I've been Service Desk for a while, but I am fed up with our upper tier support; and I know more about their jobs than they do, so it is time for me to step out of this realm and look for an engineering position--but first I have some learning to do! (Real learning--not "college learning" where you "mesmorize" things for a semester then do a data dump...)" I look forward to delving more into this thread tomorrow afternoon!

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
I just had to stop in this thread and say... Damn, I've not seen DFI LanParty motherboards in a long time. I used to own one way back in the nForce 4 days.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Well everyone, I thought it's been a little while since I posted in here so I thought what a better day to do something as I was having a sort out and generally thinking about the project, things are moving on, slowly, but there are moving on!! :D :D

So what to start with first... Lets go for the job side of things...

Works been getting me down a little for a few weeks/months, so I'm off work now for a week as it's my birthday today and I have my eldest daughter with me (I hope!!) later on in the day.. I'm going to have a serious look around for work as I really need to move on to get myself back in touch, so to speak. Bringing stress and unhappiness home with me is not what I wish for, so that needs to change and change for the right reasons and for the right job too :) I'm hoping to find something that's going to push me forward and make me start thinking again as at the moment it's very hum drum and dull for me. I'm very grateful for being in work make no mistake but it has to change because I'm not moving on as I wish and wanted to be.

So as that bit is out the way, next on the agenda :D
The 3900X rig... It seems to be causing a bit of a stir around with whatever it's doing boosting and such with the vcore I'm using but still, I've progressed the plans on for it now so, I've got some things to share with you just waiting for the last few bits and pieces to show up :D

Now, I'm sure as everyone who has at least looked at the pictures in this thread can tell I'm a bit of a loon when it comes to liking my hardware.. Then hopefully these few pics, should speak 1000 words and yadda :D :D
IMG_20200801_165559.jpg IMG_20200801_165749.jpg IMG_20200801_170213.jpg IMG_20200802_082820.jpg IMG_20200801_171501.jpg

IMG_20200801_174116.jpg IMG_20200801_174142.jpg IMG_20200801_175552.jpg IMG_20200801_175700.jpg IMG_20200801_175916.jpg IMG_20200801_175937.jpg

Now some say, he might be crazy, some say he probably is, some say he might know a thing about overkill, but all we know, he's called Phill :D :D

All jokes aside I hope that you enjoy the pics and that hopefully with a few more parts turning up soon, you'll enjoy the build log a bit more :) If there's anything you'd like to ask for question my craziness or madness, then please do :) I'd like to hear from you :D

System Name 3900x
Case Thermaltake View 71
Keyboard Logitech G815
Enjoy!

System Name Nilin
Processor Ryzen 9 5800x
Motherboard Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li Galahad AIO 360
Memory G. Skill TridentZ Neo 32gb 3600Mhz CL16-16-16-36
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3080
Storage Samsung Evo 960 250gb (System), Samsung Evo 860 500gb (Misc), Samsung 990 Pro 1Tb (Games)
Display(s) LG 27" UHD IPS, LG Ultragear 27" WQHD Nano IPS
Case InWin 303 (7x Fractal Prisma 120mm)
Power Supply Tt Toughpower Grand RGB 850W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 3
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/fs/21022952 (old system)
Well everyone, I thought it's been a little while since I posted in here so I thought what a better day to do something as I was having a sort out and generally thinking about the project, things are moving on, slowly, but there are moving on!! :D :D

So what to start with first... Lets go for the job side of things...

Works been getting me down a little for a few weeks/months, so I'm off work now for a week as it's my birthday today and I have my eldest daughter with me (I hope!!) later on in the day.. I'm going to have a serious look around for work as I really need to move on to get myself back in touch, so to speak. Bringing stress and unhappiness home with me is not what I wish for, so that needs to change and change for the right reasons and for the right job too :) I'm hoping to find something that's going to push me forward and make me start thinking again as at the moment it's very hum drum and dull for me. I'm very grateful for being in work make no mistake but it has to change because I'm not moving on as I wish and wanted to be.

So as that bit is out the way, next on the agenda :D
The 3900X rig... It seems to be causing a bit of a stir around with whatever it's doing boosting and such with the vcore I'm using but still, I've progressed the plans on for it now so, I've got some things to share with you just waiting for the last few bits and pieces to show up :D

Now, I'm sure as everyone who has at least looked at the pictures in this thread can tell I'm a bit of a loon when it comes to liking my hardware.. Then hopefully these few pics, should speak 1000 words and yadda :D :D
Now some say, he might be crazy, some say he probably is, some say he might know a thing about overkill, but all we know, he's called Phill :D :D

All jokes aside I hope that you enjoy the pics and that hopefully with a few more parts turning up soon, you'll enjoy the build log a bit more :) If there's anything you'd like to ask for question my craziness or madness, then please do :) I'd like to hear from you :D
Its always a massive pleasure to see pictures of Your attic! :D :D :D
Im a little concerned that the ceiling might drop on You one day from the weight of all that hardware!:roll:

I hope Your work situation clears out, money is important but being proud of what You do is a mandatory!
Also im kinda late but HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATE!:D:D:D Hope You had a great day @phill

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Its always a massive pleasure to see pictures of Your attic! :D :D :D
Im a little concerned that the ceiling might drop on You one day from the weight of all that hardware!:roll:

I hope Your work situation clears out, money is important but being proud of what You do is a mandatory!
Also im kinda late but HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATE!:D:D:D Hope You had a great day @phill
I hope you're doing well mate? :)
Well many thanks @Lorec for the reply back :D :D I realise I might have one or two issues with the weight of the loft, but I think that's generally down to me putting on a few pounds :laugh: :roll: Where you offering your services about hardware placement to protect the weight of the loft?? :D :roll: :D

Today has been a good day, managed to get a few things tested I needed too (found another CPU that needed a quick, does it work test LOL and a board I'd bought that didn't work that today has done.. Must have been my lucky day!! :D :D Good job I entered into the competition... We'll see... :D ;))

I've had my two girls around with me, a lovely tasty BBQ setup by my Mrs and all of the family was there. Happy days :D

Will see if I can find some other work tomorrow, or at least put out some interest searches to see what comes back :)

System Name Bay2- Lowerbay/ HP 3770/T3500-2+T3500-3+T3500-4/ Opti-Con/Orange/White/Grey
Processor i3 2120's/ i7 3770/ x5670's/ i5 2400/Ryzen 2700/Ryzen 2700/R7 3700x
Motherboard HP UltraSlim's/ HP mid size/ Dell T3500 workstation's/ Dell 390/B450 AorusM/B450 AorusM/B550 AorusM
Cooling All stock coolers/Grey has an H-60
Memory 2GB/ 4GB/ 12 GB 3 chan/ 4GB sammy/T-Force 16GB 3200/XPG 16GB 3000/Ballistic 3600 16GB
Video Card(s) HD2000's/ HD 2000/ 1 MSI GT710,2x MSI R7 240's/ HD4000/ Red Dragon 580/Sapphire 580/Sapphire 580
Storage ?HDD's/ 500 GB-er's/ 500 GB/2.5 Samsung 500GB HDD+WD Black 1TB/ WD Black 500GB M.2/Corsair MP600 M.2
Display(s) 1920x1080/ ViewSonic VX24568 between the rest/1080p TV-Grey
Case HP 8200 UltraSlim's/ HP 8200 mid tower/Dell T3500's/ Dell 390/SilverStone Kublai KL06/NZXT H510 W x2
Audio Device(s) Sonic Master/ onboard's/ Beeper's!
Power Supply 19.5 volt bricks/ Dell PSU/ 525W sumptin/ same/Seasonic 750 80+Gold/EVGA 500 80+/Antec 650 80+Gold
Mouse cheap GigaWire930, CMStorm Havoc + Logitech M510 wireless/iGear usb x2/MX 900 wireless kit 4 Grey
Keyboard Dynex, 2 no name, SYX and a Logitech. All full sized and USB. MX900 kit for Grey
Software Mint 18 Sylvia/ Opti-Con Mint KDE/ T3500's on Kubuntu/HP 3770 is Win 10/Win 10 Pro/Win 10 Pro/Win10
Benchmark Scores World Community Grid is my benchmark!!
HB @phill !!

Hope the Job search goes well!

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Thanks @Arjai :) It's time I moved on, wages aside I've just not got the love anymore so I need to go.

How are you getting on with the job front? I've not seen anymore updates on your profile just yet?

Happy Birthday phill! :peace: Sorry I was late to the party. :D

Your attic makes me want to build my own man cave with all my stuff. :D

I hope you find the job that suits your needs.

Looking forward for more posts from you. :D That 3900x seems tasty or toasty? :D

System Name Bay2- Lowerbay/ HP 3770/T3500-2+T3500-3+T3500-4/ Opti-Con/Orange/White/Grey
Processor i3 2120's/ i7 3770/ x5670's/ i5 2400/Ryzen 2700/Ryzen 2700/R7 3700x
Motherboard HP UltraSlim's/ HP mid size/ Dell T3500 workstation's/ Dell 390/B450 AorusM/B450 AorusM/B550 AorusM
Cooling All stock coolers/Grey has an H-60
Memory 2GB/ 4GB/ 12 GB 3 chan/ 4GB sammy/T-Force 16GB 3200/XPG 16GB 3000/Ballistic 3600 16GB
Video Card(s) HD2000's/ HD 2000/ 1 MSI GT710,2x MSI R7 240's/ HD4000/ Red Dragon 580/Sapphire 580/Sapphire 580
Storage ?HDD's/ 500 GB-er's/ 500 GB/2.5 Samsung 500GB HDD+WD Black 1TB/ WD Black 500GB M.2/Corsair MP600 M.2
Display(s) 1920x1080/ ViewSonic VX24568 between the rest/1080p TV-Grey
Case HP 8200 UltraSlim's/ HP 8200 mid tower/Dell T3500's/ Dell 390/SilverStone Kublai KL06/NZXT H510 W x2
Audio Device(s) Sonic Master/ onboard's/ Beeper's!
Power Supply 19.5 volt bricks/ Dell PSU/ 525W sumptin/ same/Seasonic 750 80+Gold/EVGA 500 80+/Antec 650 80+Gold
Mouse cheap GigaWire930, CMStorm Havoc + Logitech M510 wireless/iGear usb x2/MX 900 wireless kit 4 Grey
Keyboard Dynex, 2 no name, SYX and a Logitech. All full sized and USB. MX900 kit for Grey
Software Mint 18 Sylvia/ Opti-Con Mint KDE/ T3500's on Kubuntu/HP 3770 is Win 10/Win 10 Pro/Win 10 Pro/Win10
Benchmark Scores World Community Grid is my benchmark!!
Got the Security Job but, have not started yet. I think I am waiting on the Uniforms, got some, but not all of the stuff. Not sure that is what is happening. I just got the email address of my site Manager so, gonna hit him up and see why I have not been scheduled for anything.
:lovetpu:

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Happy Birthday phill! :peace: Sorry I was late to the party. :D

Your attic makes me want to build my own man cave with all my stuff. :D

I hope you find the job that suits your needs.

Looking forward for more posts from you. :D That 3900x seems tasty or toasty? :D
Your never to late to join one of my parties sir!! :D :D

You should do it!! I bet you have 10 times the hardware I do :laugh: I'm sadly running out of room in the loft to be honest, there's only so many times you can touch the roof before you start to worry about "What would I do if the roof caved in......" :laugh: :eek: :roll:

Whenever the rads arrive, I hope to get the 3900X system in the case, how pretty it'll look I'm not sure and if it has a chance of looking pretty but I'd so love it off the side of my desk!! LOL

Got the Security Job but, have not started yet. I think I am waiting on the Uniforms, got some, but not all of the stuff. Not sure that is what is happening. I just got the email address of my site Manager so, gonna hit him up and see why I have not been scheduled for anything.
:lovetpu:
I'm glad to hear it @Arjai !! :D :D No start date as yet then or just waiting for go go go email??

So production will be back up and running 24/7 soon enough then?? ;)

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Happy 40th Belated Birthday @phill! Sorry I missed it yesterday.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet