1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Well, I think the FS/FT Forum Rules are debateable...

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by Flyordie, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    we'll just call it... "a few minutes"

:toast:

:D

2. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im glad I dont have your job Paulie. ;) Ive been there, and done that in the past. We have probably the best mods Ive personally ever dealt with here at TPU, myself included. I was known to be a real hard ass on the forums that I mod'ed on. :)

3. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats where a consensus needs to be made. 5 Minutes, 10 Minutes, 15 Minutes... its w/e people think is best. I say 5 Minutes, if others want to support that idea, go ahead... I'm just trying to standardize these rules so they aren't going to be bent every day.

4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I still say no time is needed. Look at it when its done, more than likely if you are gonna edit it, you will get the edit in before the mod ever sees it. The rule is in place for hit and run artists. Again if the thread gets closed, PM the boys with a image link and ask to have it reopened. I just dont see the major issue.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone will always push the envelope(sound familiar?) and a few minutes becomes 15 and then a 1/2 hour. We need solid, definitive rules so no one can "test the fences".

Solaris17 says thanks.
  6. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    when have i not had pics when i post a thread?

there you go pointing fingers at me again.

cant we all just get along. im not asking you to like me.

7. Paulieg The Mad Moderator

Thanks Received:
    THIS is the most important reason for NO grace period. If you leave it open for even 5 minutes, a scammer can make a bogus sale.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    i think in my honest opinion the forum rules for B S T is just fine it helps offer a bit of a safety blanket for my sorry broke poor self.... if i have questions i talk to ppl ive delt with and mutual buyers sellers of that person heat is nice but for someone like me with just 2 postive evals it dosent help much.. i guess what im saying is im HAPPY theres a strict policy that is enforced on all ppl. If someone scammed me id be shit out of luck... and probably really hungry :banghead: example i have a trade with exodus currently ongoing hes helping me out i got in touch with a member whos delt with him and got some reassurance etc hell i still remember when i traded a motherboard to CP i was a newish member no heat no nothing. CP sent me the money order to cover shipping and i sent him the mobo (it was free just cost of shipping) he went out on a limb) my main point being scaming sucks not everyone will get in and get to know trust worthy people. the forum rules as they are help offer a small degree of insurance if you will to all those involved. and its that fact that things are kept in order around here that its the ONLY place i B/S/T at period. Im a little off topic maybe but i dont think anything needs to be debated or changed im happy with the rules as they are. Alot of ppl that show up here just to sell dont even read the rules to do so.. and that itself is the most infuriating thing period.

9. Paulieg The Mad Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Enough. This thread is not about you.

Solaris17 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  10. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    and i still remember the member that tried to pose as Fit and tried to sell items with a fake psuedo name using fits avatar thankfully a mod caught it immediately if i remember right

11. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Seriously people, I'm gonna be point blank here. I dislike rules and authority figures in the real world just like the rest of you.

I come to TPU to relax and keep up with tech and members, just like you do. We aren't here to be Nazi's it is all in the goal to make it easier on the staff to police such a section and keep our members somewhat safer in the process.

I could go on forever, in specifics, but even with my distaste for rules and or guidelines to my relaxation, on the same note, I have never had a thread closed. If a lazy procrastinator like me can get it done, I really don't see where all you younger guys have this strong feeling for "maybes, or what ifs" when we are trying to eliminate that exactly. I don't mod the FS section, but I do see all of the reports. On the whole I have to say by the vast members the support the FS rules, they cant be that bad;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    My opinion on the rules is that they help TPU by being strict... And besides, what is it to wait 5 minutes to post your thread? Why can't you just take the damn pics beforehand? lol

All the rules seem fair, and PROTECT us buyers, as well as the SELLERS believe it or not. TPU's B/S/T forum has also a great reputation because of these rules.

My opinion are that the rules, here at TPU, are GOLDEN. They help ALOT and protect us, while having only very few setbacks.

13. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    There's always gonna be someone who's gonna whine and bitch. Seriously, why does the paper have to be handwritten instead of printed on a piece of paper? Is there a list that the mods have to make sure that the handwriting is REALLY theirs?

No matter what you do in an online BST, there's always a risk. No one's keeping you from not buying from someone without a name, phone number, email, whatever. In the end, you're trusting someone to send the stuff after you turn over your money.

14. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Yes, but the risks are lower when the rules are strict... though the handwritting, I do fail to see the point

15. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The hadwritten sig was set up so that it would be harder to photochop or fake who has what.
    It's not perfect, but there has been instances where a user has noticed that the handwriting was not legit. Not us, a member.

It's just to try to keep it as safe as possible for you guys (and gals).

n-ster says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  16. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    i think the rules are there for something in first place. its inevitable that someday someone will scam you. it always happens on all forums no matter how strict the rules are. Here they are strict but it allows scams to happen very few times. and thats my opinion. they need to stay to prevent this to happen more frequently.

17. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I see your point...any one out there that is handless I volunteer to do the writing for you!

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Bah, it can be that much of a bother, now can it ? :) Whatever makes us safer with such a low bother is welcome in my book

I know my sentence is flawed xD but I'm not that good in English... (second language... or was it third?)

19. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to go here, but I'm sure we would accept mouth written if the situation called for it;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    the whole point on having a nice set of objective rules is to make TPU a safe and fun place to buy/sell/trade your stuff. the better rules we have, the higher percentage of good clean transactions. the higher percentage of good clean transactions means a higher level of users who buy/sell/trade. the higher number of users buying/selling/trading will lead to far greater deals and a better online community.

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I see whats really happening is that the true blue TPU'ers are feeling a little put out when following these rules because that have already built up there reputation on the forums...TRUE TRUE TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BUT how can a mod ask the ones who don't have these built up reputations to follow certain rules when not every one would have to..

and on ward and so forth and further we delve into the future of uncertainty!

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    *sniffels* so I'm not true, blue or TPU? :roll:

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    NO ... i feel you are very true blue and I am gratful for your input! AND INSIGHTS!:toast:
    SILLY!

sneekypeet says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  24. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    I'm all for telling the mods to pound sand on internet forums but the way I see it is this, if you can't get your shit together and make a proper post before submitting it....how am I supposed to rely on you to get an expenseve package to me in an efficent manner.....?

Darknova, W1zzard and sneekypeet say thanks.
  25. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    So will I get a warning if my handwriting is illegible? Or if my wife does it for me? I'm sure it'll get reported anyways.