• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital Announces Magnetic Storage Breakthrough Enabling 40TB HDDs

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
At its "Innovating to Fuel the Next Decade of Big Data" event today, Western Digital Corp. announced a breakthrough innovation for delivering ultra-high capacity hard disk drives (HDDs) to meet the future demands of Big Data with proven data center-level reliability. The event, held at the company's headquarters in Silicon Valley, included a demonstration of the world's first microwave-assisted magnetic recording (MAMR) HDD and presentations from company executives and the inventor of MAMR technology, Professor Jimmy Zhu from Carnegie Mellon University. The company also showcased advancements in micro actuation and Damascene recording head technology. Western Digital expects to begin shipping ultra-high capacity MAMR HDDs in 2019 for use in data centers that support Big Data applications across a full range of industries.

"As the volume, velocity, variety, value and longevity of both Big Data and Fast Data grow, a new generation of storage technologies are needed to not only support ever-expanding capacities, but ultimately help our customers analyze and garner insights into our increasingly connected universe of data," said Mike Cordano, president and chief operating officer at Western Digital. "Our ground-breaking advancement in MAMR technology will enable Western Digital to address the future of high capacity storage by redefining the density potential of HDDs and introduce a new class of highly reliable, 'ultra-high capacity' drives. We have a proven track record for identifying, investing in and delivering advanced technologies that create new product categories and enable the world to realize the possibilities of data. Five years ago we introduced our HelioSeal, helium-filled drive technology. Since then, we have shipped more than 20 million helium drives. That type of leadership and innovation continues today and we aim to leverage it well into the future."

MAMR is one of two energy-assisted technologies that Western Digital has been developing for years. The company recently innovated a breakthrough in material and process that provides the required reliable and predictable performance, as well as the manufacturability to accelerate areal density and cost improvements to an estimated average of 15 percent per year. Developments in the other energy-assisted technology, specifically, heat-assisted magnetic recording (HAMR), present new material science and reliability challenges that are not a factor in MAMR. Only MAMR demonstrates the reliability and cost profile that meets the demands of data center operators.

At the heart of the company's innovation breakthrough is the "spin torque oscillator" used to generate a microwave field that increases the ability to record data at ultra-high density without sacrificing reliability. Western Digital's innovative MAMR technology is expected to offer over 4 terabits-per-square-inch over time. With sustained improvements in recording density, MAMR promises to enable hard drives with 40TB of capacity and beyond by 2025, and continued expansion beyond that timeframe.

"Western Digital's demonstration of MAMR technology is a significant breakthrough for the hard disk drive industry," said John Rydning, research vice president, Hard Disk Drives, IDC. "Commercialization of MAMR technology will pave the way to higher recording densities, and lower cost per terabyte hard disk drives for enterprise datacenters, video surveillance systems, and consumer NAS products."

Western Digital's MAMR technology is the latest innovation to significantly improve areal densities. It builds upon a number of other leading innovations from the company. In addition to HelioSeal helium-filled drive technology, MAMR also builds upon the company's micro actuation and recording head manufacturing technologies. Western Digital's advanced micro actuation technology for data center applications enables hard drives to accurately and reliably position magnetic heads for writing and reading at ultra-high densities. The company's head manufacturing operations are the only internal supplier to utilize Damascene processing to manufacture heads with the precise tolerances and complex structures required for reliable and cost-effective recording at ultra-high densities. The Damascene process also provides the capability to embed the spin torque oscillator that enables the manufacturing of MAMR heads. The combination of these technologies deliver superior total cost of ownership (TCO) across all sizes of cloud and enterprise data centers.

The demonstration of Western Digital's MAMR technology is the latest achievement in decades of HDD leadership from the company, including over 7,000 issued patents in HDD technology, on-going helium-enabled HDD technology advancements - as highlighted by the recent introduction of the world's first host-managed shingled magnetic recording (SMR) technology enterprise-class 14TB hard drive - and a long history of world's firsts in multi-disk design.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I wish someone made a breakthrough that would allow mechanical drives dramatically improved speeds and access times. Coz that would be really nice. I'm talking getting them to the level of cheapest SSD's or close to that. I know there are physical limitations, but still, all we see is platter density and that's it. No one is really investing into how this density is accessed and if there is a different, faster way...

I wish someone made a breakthrough that would allow mechanical drives dramatically improved speeds and access times. Coz that would be really nice. I'm talking getting them to the level of cheapest SSD's or close to that. I know there are physical limitations, but still, all we see is platter density and that's it. No one is really investing into how this density is accessed and if there is a different, faster way...
Well the latest seagate 12tb drives are 250mbps which is double what they used to be

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Not entirely true. The bigger the drive, the higher the transfer rates for unfragmented data, since a lot of data can be read/written at once.

Also, this drive is not the biggest. Actually the honor is, ironically, hold by an SSD, the 128TB SSD drive from Samsung (https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/09/samsungs_128tb_ssd_bombshell/)

Processor AMD Threadripper 3690x
Motherboard MSI TRX40 Pro 10G
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB (2x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo OC
Storage 2x 1TB Intel 970 Pro NVM
Display(s) Dell U2415m x2
Case Fractal Define XL R2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Hyper X G6
Power Supply 800 Watt Fractal Design Newton R3
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX-3.0 - Black Keys
Software Win 10 Edu

That does not make financial sense though - you have SSD's, which have much quicker access times and thus can either be used as cache or OS drives. HDD's will always be better in data storage though. Thus they are increasing the size of them.

Even though I don't even want to think about the re-building time of a raid if one of those drives fails.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Even though I don't even want to think about the re-building time of a raid if one of those drives fails.

Neh, nobody cares. You have 20 of those drives in a storage rack, nobody cares if it takes even a day. ;)

Processor AMD Threadripper 3690x
Motherboard MSI TRX40 Pro 10G
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB (2x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo OC
Storage 2x 1TB Intel 970 Pro NVM
Display(s) Dell U2415m x2
Case Fractal Define XL R2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Hyper X G6
Power Supply 800 Watt Fractal Design Newton R3
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX-3.0 - Black Keys
Software Win 10 Edu
Neh, nobody cares. You have 20 of those drives in a storage rack, nobody cares if it takes even a day. ;)

I think you're looking at 2 - 3 days rebuilding time and many do care, due to fact that, depending on raid, their raid might fail if another or 2 more drives fail in that time. Considering that rebuilding a raid is stress on the drives.

When you have such storage rack, you basically just swap the drives as they fail. There is no on-demand backing up and restoring of data, you're already suppose to use double redundancy at such capacities with higher RAID modes.

Higher storage density though should at least make it better for short stroking on the plus side.

Processor Haswell-E - i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz
Motherboard ASUS X99S
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Palit Super JetStream 980Ti
Storage SSD: 512GB [Crucial MX100] HDD: 34TB [4 x 6TB WD Blue, 2 x 5TB Seagate External]
Display(s) Acer ProDesigner BM320 4K
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Damn that's alot or pr0n space

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
If only they could innovate this well in the SSD arena (and have their own fabrication abilities... rather than get screwed by partners). WD was my first large storage drive (a whopping 400MB). I'd hate to see them lose out to the likes of Samsung. It's not a name I like associating with PCs.

At least when we’ll hit petabytes they’ll be our pets

System Name Frankenstin 2.0, Alienware X17 R2
Processor Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4400mhz, 1,248v fixed
Motherboard Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac
Cooling Swiftech Apogee drive 2 + XSPC x360 + generic GPU Waterblock
Memory 32Gb G.skill 3200 cl16
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX Vega 56, Custom watercooling - @ 64 mod
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVME
Display(s) Samsung LC27JG500
Case Thermaltake Core G3
Audio Device(s) Integrated + Denon AVR 2800
Power Supply Enermax Revolution SFX 650w
Mouse Trust GXT 152
Keyboard Logitech G413
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The most beneficial advantage of SSDs is random access performance, which is measured in iops.
iops are basically how many accesses the drive can make in a certain amount of time. SSDs can access multiple nand cells at the same time, so even with random operations you have high performances.
On the other side a mechanical hard drive has only a head reading/writing on the surface of the spinning disk. that head can make only a limited amount of movements, which translate to really poor performance in random access. As I understand these new technologies are a sort of multi-layer writing/reading technique, so I think a possible solution could be to write files in a stacked fashon, and read them with a single head movement. that could accelerate random access also in HDD

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

Density has a direct impact on read and write performance, the faster the disk spins as well, I just hope they are able to incorporate this with 7200 or 10K speeds. If they are truly quadrupling the density at the same spin rate it should allow for quadrupling the data read and write.

Processor Threadripper 1950X (4.0 GHz OC)
Motherboard ASRock X399 Professional Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqtech TR4
Memory 48GB DDR4 2934MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX 1080, GTX 660TI
Storage 2TB Western Digital HDD, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 280GB Intel Optane 900P
Display(s) 2x 1920x1200
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro M (1000W)
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2
Software Windows 10

I think it's rather amazing that they have the access times that they do. You're talking about moving a mechanical arm to a track some nanometers wide in a matter of milliseconds! And as those tracks get thinner (larger drives) that gets more difficult.

Density has a direct impact on read and write performance, the faster the disk spins as well, I just hope they are able to incorporate this with 7200 or 10K speeds. If they are truly quadrupling the density at the same spin rate it should allow for quadrupling the data read and write.

Bandwidth != Latency

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Great, so when the drive dies I'll be crying for a week as versus just a day with a 4 TB drive.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Great, so when the drive dies I'll be crying for a week as versus just a day with a 4 TB drive.
:laugh: Nope, because it will be backed up to another 40TB drive. :)

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
According to Scientific American, a cat’s brain has 1,000 times more “data storage” than an iPad, and operates a million times faster!

They are also the true rulers of the computer world... in their own way.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
by that I presume you mean Ethernet lol

No, no.. The ruler of Memes. The only worthwhile use of the internet. :D

Well, outside pr0n.

Actually, we're not far from that. There is prototyping going on in which a spinning disc type drive is being accessed using a quad-head system. So instead of one single read/write head, four are used. This means that the drive controller can multi-task. The current test methodologies show sequential read/write speeds of 240MB per second and 170MB per second random. This is on 15,000rpm spindles. Combine this with WD's new hotness and good grief is the future bright for storage.