• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital Announces WD Se Line of Hard Drives

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
WD, a Western Digital company and world leader for storage deployed in datacenters, today announced availability of its innovative WD Se line of hard drives, the first designed for scale-out datacenter deployments. Built on an enterprise-grade platform for reliable 24x7x365 datacenter operation, WD Se is tailored to deliver the right combination of performance, reliability and robustness for large-scale replicated environments, mid-sized network attached storage (NAS) deployment, and backup/archiving applications.

WD Se is a true enterprise-class drive with the right blend of affordability and capabilities to address the massive growth of semi-structured data, which is accelerating the scale-out of datacenters of all sizes. Now shipping in capacities up to 4 TB, the new WD Se hard drives enables customers to balance their data growth challenges in multi-drive enclosures without compromising enterprise-class features.

"Today's cloud datacenter installations require a cost-effective way to build large-scale storage systems, while maintaining the 24x7 reliability necessary to minimize total cost of ownership," said Richard E. Rutledge , senior vice president of WD's datacenter storage business unit. "WD's utilization of vast amounts of manufacturing and engineering data has forced us - like many other companies - to use map-reduce methodologies to effectively analyze our data. The WD Se hard drives are used in our own big datacenter, where we have gained real-world experience with Apache Hadoop."

WD Se drives also address the fast-growing SMB to mid-range network-attached storage (NAS) market. The robust enterprise-class design and higher workload capabilities for SMB-focused 6-bay-plus table-top NAS units and rack-mount multi-tenant NAS solutions with up to 24 bays, provide NAS integrators a complement to WD Red hard drives, which are for small NAS systems. WD's other datacenter hard drives - WD Xe and WD Re - round out the high-end of the NAS market, offering higher durability and performance for large-scale rack-based NAS systems. Together, WD Se, WD Xe, WD Re and WD Red provide a total portfolio of robust storage devices to match every size and scale of NAS deployment.

In addition to undergoing at least 5,000,000 hours of functional and thermal testing and over 20,000,000 hours of additional testing under actual workloads in server and storage systems, WD's Se hard drives feature:
  • A dual processor for twice the processing power to maximize performance;
  • Enhanced Rotary Acceleration Feed Forward (RAFF) technology that includes sophisticated electronics to monitor the drive and correct both linear and rotational vibration in real time;
  • Dual actuator technology improves head positional accuracy over the data track(s);
  • StableTrac whereby the motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking during read and write operations delivering a consistent level of performance for applications;
  • Multi-axis shock sensor automatically detects the subtlest shock events and compensates to protect the data;
  • RAID-specific, time-limited error recovery (TLER) prevents drive fallout caused by the extended hard drive error-recovery processes common to desktop drives, and;
  • Dynamic fly height technology where each read-write head's fly height is adjusted in real time for optimum reliability.
Price and Availability
WD's Se hard drives, shipping in capacities from 2 TB to 4 TB, (models: WD2000F9YZ, WD3000F9YZ, and WD4000F9YZ) are available through select distributors and resellers. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for the WD Se hard drives range from $159.99 to $309.99 USD. WD's Se drives are covered by a five-year limited warranty.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

You can also get pretty much the same drives under the Caviar Black series, just look that they offer the same technologies. I got my 2TB with same characteristics as far more expensive RE drive back at the time, only difference was the actual testing done on the drive. It now has loads of operational hours behind and it's still working great (knocking on wood).

System Name Custom DIY
Processor Intel i7 2600K @ 4.8 Turbo 1.4v
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro 8801
Cooling XSPC RS240 + 120mm Rad/fan
Memory Corsair 1866 Vangence 9-10-9-27-2T
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX570 SLI
Storage OCZ Revodrive 110GB + 2x1TB seagate
Display(s) ASUS MT276HE
Case CoolerMaster Sniper
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
Power Supply ANTEC TP-750 Blue 750Watts
Software win7 64
Benchmark Scores http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1347866
You can also get pretty much the same drives under the Caviar Black series, just look that they offer the same technologies. I got my 2TB with same characteristics as far more expensive RE drive back at the time, only difference was the actual testing done on the drive. It now has loads of operational hours behind and it's still working great (knocking on wood).

do they have the time-limited error recovery ?

because that is the main problem with hardware raid ....

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
I bought WD white label drives b/c of these stupid high prices...and none of the seven in 24/7 use have failed :roll: That's better than buying them new :laugh:

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Let me guess. The 4TB model will STILL have 5 platters instead of 4?
Retarded

But, it makes them as reliable as a Seagate...

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
Cause Sammy drives don't fail :nutkick: :rolleyes: jesus, stop being such a fanboy, WD and Seagate are some of the best HDD makers out there, poking fun just makes you look like a Richard ;)

Seagate blows. If you want to RMA drives every 6 months, then you buy one.

Real Sammy drives didn't fail. Too bad they no longer exist. Seagate could have mended their lousy reputation by using Samsung's designs (but I imagine they cost more to produce).

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Seagate blows. If you want to RMA drives every 6 months, then you buy one.

Real Sammy drives didn't fail. Too bad they no longer exist. Seagate could have mended their lousy reputation by using Samsung's designs (but I imagine they cost more to produce).

I've owned everything from Sammy, WD, Segate and even Hitatchi over the last 3 years, guess what? none have failed, I have only had one drive fail on me from new over the last 5 years, that was a OCZ 64GB SSD, 2nd gen I think, did it put me off buying OCZ? erm........... no not really because the other 6 I owned performed flawlessly.

"Real Sammy drives didn't fail?"

Yea, that statement is like all the NV fanboys who say that AMD drivers suck.

Sorry to break it to you, just because you have bought something doesn't automatically make it the best... I'm guessing you're like 13-14?

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Storage NVMees
Case Freebie glass idk
I've owned everything from Sammy, WD, Segate and even Hitatchi over the last 3 years, guess what? none have failed, I have only had one drive fail on me from new over the last 5 years, that was a OCZ 64GB SSD, 2nd gen I think, did it put me off buying OCZ? erm........... no not really because the other 6 I owned performed flawlessly.

"Real Sammy drives didn't fail?"

Yea, that statement is like all the NV fanboys who say that AMD drivers suck.

Sorry to break it to you, just because you have bought something doesn't automatically make it the best... I'm guessing you're like 13-14?

Oh, yeah, totally, I'm only 13 :confused:

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Oh, yeah, totally, I'm only 13 :confused:

Yay!!!!! I was right, I had a bet with myself based on your posts and how you come across, you're quite mature for your age.... :toast:

Sorry sarcasm, it's a British trait lol but you can't go around slagging companies without giving any reasonable excuses, all mfr's have issues though on the whole HDD tech is very mature these days and even the likes of Hitatchi and Toshiba can mfr some pretty decent drives, less of the fanboyism and you're there :toast: