• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Western Digital Gives Mac Users the First 2 TB Portable Hard Drive

Western Digital today introduced the first 2 TB capacity portable drive dedicated for Mac customers, My Passport Studio. This new standard in high storage capacity, along with Apple Time Machine compatibility for quick and easy automatic backup of Mac hard drives, allows Mac users to use one drive for the protection and transport of virtually all their digital content, everywhere they go.

The new My Passport Studio portable drive maintains its elegant and protective all-metal casing to complement the MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, providing the beautiful aesthetic that Mac users expect while increasing storage capacity to 2 TB, enough space for approximately 400,000 photos, 240 hours of video or 500,000 songs.

In addition to the USB 2.0 interface, My Passport Studio's two high performance FireWire 800 ports, makes it perfect for active and mobile creative professionals including photographers, videographers, graphic artists, and others who need the speed, capacity, and flexibility to access content anytime or anywhere. The dual FireWire ports provide blazing fast upload and transfer speeds while also allowing users to daisy chain additional drives or other peripherals such as HD camcorders. My Passport Studio also features hardware-based encryption and password protection software, and an all-metal design constructed for a sturdy feel in your hand and scratch resistance.

"The My Passport Studio is a perfect companion for the MacBook Pro and for creative professionals on the go," explains Jody Bradshaw, senior director and general manager of WD's consumer storage products group. "For those who create large content files such as photographers and videographers, they will now be able to carry it with them wherever they go, as well as create a backup copy of everything they produce without fear of running out of additional storage while on location."

Pricing and Availability

WD's My Passport Studio 2 TB portable hard drive is available on the WD store at www.wdstore.com and at select retailers and distributors. The My Passport Studio 2 TB has an MSRP of $299.99. For more information on the My Passport Studio portable hard drive please visit the WD website at http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=420.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name It does stuff
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard B550 Gaming X V2
Cooling Stock
Memory 16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) RX 6700XT
Storage Too much
Display(s) 27" & 21.5"
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DGX / Sony MDR-XB500s
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Software Win10 64
The funny thing is that people will buy it. The reason that LaCie is still even in business is because of this principle. Put "apple" or "mac" on something and it's a license to massively overprice it.

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
The funny thing is that people will buy it. The reason that LaCie is still even in business is because of this principle. Put "apple" or "mac" on something and it's a license to massively overprice it.

Pretty much, it's a license to put a $50 + premium on a product.

USB 2.0?! Seriously?
How about Thunderbolt or USB3 along with Firewire 800?

As for the previous posters' Mac comments, generally a 'Mac' flavor drive comes with Firewire, hence the price premium.;)

These Lacies are pretty decent for Mac users, despite the 5400 speed. Much better than USB 2.0:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058BDFZ8/?tag=tec06d-20

Last edited:
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
I think they mean they're giving them a preformatted drive, which, anyone with less than 5 screws loose could do themselves and use it on any machine...

Marketing is lying. Screw marketing.

System Name Primary Rig
Processor e8500 Q822A549 4.5ghz AIR
Motherboard Foxconn Mars P35
Cooling TRUE
Memory 2 x2GB Patriot Viper 1066 5-5-5-12 @ 1.8v
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5870 Unlocked
Storage 300gb Velociraptor
Display(s) Dell 24" Ultrasharp
Case Coolermaster CM690
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750w Quad Silencer
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x86
It'll take forever to transfer 2TB via usb 2.0 - over 12 hours probably!

bytescript1

It'll take forever to transfer 2TB via usb 2.0 - over 12 hours probably!

I think I agree with you, manufacturers who make a killing by promising large capacity storage on the go but fizzle out once speed freak buyers are not satisfied. But look on the bright side now you have a roomier drive. :) Anybody here who is into software license management?