• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are the consequences of genetically altering ticks, fleas, and mosquitoes to control their populations?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I have been thinking about this a lot lately, like let's say it works really really well... we already know they have released some genetically modified mosquitoes in Florida, to reduce the population number.

What if they did the same with ticks? I just read this article below, that says they can alter DNA of ticks now too... and ticks are a big problem... especially for deer of late if I recall correctly, and humans.

Now bring in dogs and cats, etc - fleas are the historic cause for many diseases coming from fleas. (to my knowledge we can't alter DNA of fleas yet... but it is probably around the corner?)

What if we simply got rid of all three of these? I know birds eat some of them, but honestly when I watch birds in nature, most of the time they get a worm from the ground. Are the worms reliant on any of these three creatures? Where at in the cycle of life do these 3 creatures come into play is what I suppose I am asking? I know bats eat some of them, but what eats bats? What is the cyclical effect of one species ending and another thriving?

Many species have died over the years, mainly due to human intervention, or due to climate shifts millions of years ago, etc... so why exactly do we need the tick/flea/mosquito to stick around? Thoughts?

I'm genuinely curious about this stuff, do you think scientists are making a mistake by controlling these populations, or not going far enough and no reason to keep them around?

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
It's a valid question. Whether you believe in God, or just evolution, do we have the moral right to 'annihilate' a species we deem to be a nuisance? More, what if the stresses placed on the target species cause mutations to adapt to the very thing that is trying to eliminate it?

As for human causes of species death, yes, we're doing an awful lot of bad shit but nothing compared to the mass extinction events of the past. It's a sobering thought that our recorded history (cave painting aside) goes back only a few thousand years. And we know from the geological evidence that natural events play havok with life, all life, every few tens of thousands of years. Humans have the hubris to believe we are different, that we are special, but if we look at the very history from which he have come, we can see it is littered with disaster--most of it not of our doing. It should make us more careful with what we do in the present, value the world around us. But we do not.

Today I felt a tickle on my neck. Like a little wuss, I immediately raked my finger to my skin and threw the intruder to the ground. Saw that it was a tiny ladybug. Put it on a piece of paper, saw it moving and took it outside where I placed it on a leaf in the garden. Would have been quicker to squish it. But I don't like killing things I don't need to kill.

Not sure what I'm saying. Maybe just happy I value life. Even a bug's life. Though, to be fair, when I did remove a tick from my thigh a year back, I wasn't quite so empathic.

System Name New compy
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MPG x570S EDGE MAX WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S w. FHP141 + Xigmatek AOS XAF-F1451
Memory 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V Samsung B-Die Dual Rank F4-4000C16D-32GVKA
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 4070ti
Storage 17tb (8+4tb WD Black HDD's, 2+2+0.5+0.5tb M.2 SSD Drives) + 16tb WD Red Pro backup drive
Display(s) Alienware AW2518H 24" 240hz, Sony X85K 43" 4k 120hz HDR TV
Case Thermaltake Core v71
Audio Device(s) iFi Nano Idsd Le, Creative T20 + T50, Sennheiser HD6Mix
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1000w
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero custom w. G900 scroll wheel mod, Rival 3 + Rival 3 wireless, JLab Epic Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB + K70 RGB + K57 RGB Wireless + Logitech G613
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/s2y7ny
Frogs, toads, and amphibians rely on insect populations, fish eat frogs, so do birds, everything as annoying as it is has a purpose. Maybe that purpose is to annoy us.

Genetically altering any species will have consequences, both direct and indirect (direct: eg. Monsanto seeds are genetically altered to contain pesticide at the genetic level so they don't need to spray crops, indirect: anything that ingests these altered crops grows tumors, your vegetables you buy at the store are probably grown with Monsanto seeds) we as humans have no respect at all for nature, we pollute and destroy our home planet on a scale so grand it may as well be our united global goal.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Ethics are irrelevant, this is straight up dangerous for our own sake. These things are carriers for all sort of nasty diseases, who knows how altering their genetic material might end up impacting the viruses that they carry.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Species aside, we eliminate small-pox, polio, etc.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
It's a valid question. Whether you believe in God, or just evolution, do we have the moral right to 'annihilate' a species we deem to be a nuisance? More, what if the stresses placed on the target species cause mutations to adapt to the very thing that is trying to eliminate it?

As for human causes of species death, yes, we're doing an awful lot of bad shit but nothing compared to the mass extinction events of the past. It's a sobering thought that our recorded history (cave painting aside) goes back only a few thousand years. And we know from the geological evidence that natural events play havok with life, all life, every few tens of thousands of years. Humans have the hubris to believe we are different, that we are special, but if we look at the very history from which he have come, we can see it is littered with disaster--most of it not of our doing. It should make us more careful with what we do in the present, value the world around us. But we do not.

Today I felt a tickle on my neck. Like a little wuss, I immediately raked my finger to my skin and threw the intruder to the ground. Saw that it was a tiny ladybug. Put it on a piece of paper, saw it moving and took it outside where I placed it on a leaf in the garden. Would have been quicker to squish it. But I don't like killing things I don't need to kill.

Not sure what I'm saying. Maybe just happy I value life. Even a bug's life. Though, to be fair, when I did remove a tick from my thigh a year back, I wasn't quite so empathic.
Their life spans are already short, lets not extend them or shorten them. They are pestilence to warm blood species but food for Amphibians, other Insects, reptiles.

Leave them alone, let nature remove them.

Ladybugs ofc are helpful.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Species aside, we eliminate small-pox, polio, etc.
This is an interesting way to look at it, I have never thought of it before that way. Why do we value the life of flea over a virus or bacteria? Interesting. I need to contemplate this more.

Ethics are irrelevant, this is straight up dangerous for our own sake. These things are carriers for all sort of nasty diseases, who knows how altering their genetic material might end up impacting the viruses that they carry.
I mostly agree, humans playing God is probably not a smart idea due to our hubris and lack of full objectivity.

Frogs, toads, and amphibians rely on insect populations, fish eat frogs, so do birds, everything as annoying as it is has a purpose. Maybe that purpose is to annoy us.

Genetically altering any species will have consequences, both direct and indirect (direct: eg. Monsanto seeds are genetically altered to contain pesticide at the genetic level so they don't need to spray crops, indirect: anything that ingests these altered crops grows tumors, your vegetables you buy at the store are probably grown with Monsanto seeds) we as humans have no respect at all for nature, we pollute and destroy our home planet on a scale so grand it may as well be our united global goal.
Yeah Monsanto is quite... the list goes on and on for miles... truly a shame what we have done to the world as a species I agree.

My only counter argument would be, a lot of these populations, take mosquitoes for example, would not exist in Hawaii if it were not for human migration patterns that brought them there. That applies to fleas and other pests to some regions of the world... and humans got on just fine in Hawaii long before mosquitoes arrived... so how do we begin to think of this...

Same, I try to save lady bugs every time I can do so, no idea why we have this innate relationship with them... and yes I agree, fuck the tick, you would be real sad if you had lyme disease the rest of your life because of that tick. We 'annihilated' plenty of species that came before and no one seems to shed any tears over them and the world still keeps going on... definitely presents a weird ethical and moral dilemma... lol

Honestly no idea what is best here, also what if it is natural for the world to have ticks/fleas/mosquitoes, but what if their population has grown too large? We have deer hunting season when the deer grow too much in population, perhaps we should do the same with ticks/fleas/mosquitoes? Again I don't know if I agree with playing God in a lab with DNA is the right move to go, regardless, too late for that anyway, multiple locations on Earth now have releases genetically modified mosquitoes, so eh.

Low quality post by eidairaman1

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
This is an interesting way to look at it, I have never thought of it before that way. Why do we value the life of flea over a virus or bacteria? Interesting. I need to contemplate this more.

I mostly agree, humans playing God is probably not a smart idea due to our hubris and lack of full objectivity.

Yeah Monsanto is quite... the list goes on and on for miles... truly a shame what we have done to the world as a species I agree.

My only counter argument would be, a lot of these populations, take mosquitoes for example, would not exist in Hawaii if it were not for human migration patterns that brought them there. That applies to fleas and other pests to some regions of the world... and humans got on just fine in Hawaii long before mosquitoes arrived... so how do we begin to think of this...

Same, I try to save lady bugs every time I can do so, no idea why we have this innate relationship with them... and yes I agree, fuck the tick, you would be real sad if you had lyme disease the rest of your life because of that tick. We 'annihilated' plenty of species that came before and no one seems to shed any tears over them and the world still keeps going on... definitely presents a weird ethical and moral dilemma... lol

Honestly no idea what is best here, also what if it is natural for the world to have ticks/fleas/mosquitoes, but what if their population has grown too large? We have deer hunting season when the deer grow too much in population, perhaps we should do the same with ticks/fleas/mosquitoes? Again I don't know if I agree with playing God in a lab with DNA is the right move to go, regardless, too late for that anyway, multiple locations on Earth now have releases genetically modified mosquitoes, so eh.
We should not be Messing with things already programmed by God.

Low quality post by Shrek
System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
System Name Gamey #1 / #2
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Core i7-9700F
Motherboard Asrock B450M P4 / Asrock B360M P4
Cooling IDCool SE-226-XT / CM Hyper 212
Memory 32GB 3200 CL16 / 32GB 2666 CL14
Video Card(s) PC 6800 XT / Soyo RTX 2060 Super
Storage 4TB Team MP34 / 512G Tosh RD400+2TB WD3Dblu
Display(s) LG 32GK650F 1440p 144Hz VA
Case Corsair 4000Air / CM N200
Audio Device(s) Dragonfly Black
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3 / Corsair CX550M
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k Noiseless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 TKL
Software Win 10, Throttlestop
We've already driven loads of species extinct which are not pests, we could probably do without mosquitoes. They are not a foundational food source for any species and what few calories they add will likely be accounted for by other insects. Not as convinced about ticks though as there's more meat on those bones. Carapaces. Whatever.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I have been thinking about this a lot lately, like let's say it works really really well... we already know they have released some genetically modified mosquitoes in Florida, to reduce the population number.

What if they did the same with ticks? I just read this article below, that says they can alter DNA of ticks now too... and ticks are a big problem... especially for deer of late if I recall correctly, and humans.

Now bring in dogs and cats, etc - fleas are the historic cause for many diseases coming from fleas. (to my knowledge we can't alter DNA of fleas yet... but it is probably around the corner?)

What if we simply got rid of all three of these? I know birds eat some of them, but honestly when I watch birds in nature, most of the time they get a worm from the ground. Are the worms reliant on any of these three creatures? Where at in the cycle of life do these 3 creatures come into play is what I suppose I am asking? I know bats eat some of them, but what eats bats? What is the cyclical effect of one species ending and another thriving?

Many species have died over the years, mainly due to human intervention, or due to climate shifts millions of years ago, etc... so why exactly do we need the tick/flea/mosquito to stick around? Thoughts?

I'm genuinely curious about this stuff, do you think scientists are making a mistake by controlling these populations, or not going far enough and no reason to keep them around?
Killing off wildlife hasn't often worked out well for the environment they're in or the food chain they're part of.

Or us in the end, this and many other area's of science truly baffle me with their ignorance, and short sighted views.

And they're are many cases of scientists putting their word ,life and everything on science that ends up killing millions of innocent people, think lead IN fuel for no knock motoring, a fully retarded idea from the off, ,, just for money.

And I work in science, I'm fine with science, just not over egging what you know, which is what.

Do you think that tribe on the island never visited by outsider's think they haven't got an understanding of the whole universe from they're perspective.

That's science to me too, the tribesmen who knows it all on his deluded little island.

Last edited:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
That's just it, we don't know (all of) the consequences.

For example, at some point the Chinese killed off the sparrows, because they were feeding on their crops. Soon after, they were presented with the "gift" of out-of-control locusts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Pests_campaign

Processor i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz (H2O Cooled)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling CPU = EK Velocity / GPU = EK Vector
Memory 32GB - G-Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6900 XT (H2O Cooled)
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 970 EVO - 870 QVO
Display(s) Samsung QN90A 50" 4K TV & LG 20" 1600x900
Case Lian Li O11-D
Audio Device(s) Presonus Studio 192
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Matias RGB Backlit Keyboard
Software Windows 10 & macOS (Hackintosh)
ticks are a parasite, literally, and are rampant in my area in Central NY. I just pulled one off my leg yesterday (this is never a fun time removing them, there is a reason there is a saying "dug in like a tick") and I've been fortunate that I haven't had any lyme disease complications from previous bites. There used to be a belief if they were on you for X time you would be infected and we would sorta freak out not knowing how long the tick was on you and go get some like nuclear bomb equivalent of antibiotics (I think it is doxycycline) to make sure you don't develop lyme. Now it's more understood you could get infected at any point in time it is attached to you, so things more important to watch out for is if you develop odd rashes at the bite area, the bulls eye rash is the worst and sure sign you got something from it for example. It's always a challenge keeping the dogs and cats tick free too but they get medicine for this and does work for the most part but we put bandanas on them that are sprayed down with permethrin (needs to be diluted) so they wear them outside as an extra layer of tick protection. me and my dad make a SHIT TON of "tick tubes" and just got done making 175 new ones this year to be put at both our homes and our camp. spray permethrin (again should be diluted) on some material like pillow stuffing or anything that critters like mice might use and put that sprayed down material into an old toilet paper tube. distribute them all over where critters could access them, in your basement, sheds, perimeter and tree lines of your property etc. so the mice and other critters grab this material and take it back to their nests and places of travel and therefore kills the ticks before they can really populate. ticks form in those areas more because the stupid critter like mice sure have a hard time removing them so they thrive in areas where there are plenty of "hosts" for them to attach too....like a mouse nest. I am an avid deer hunter too and have seen some really ticked up. It's a bad situation all around. I'm actually going to start spraying a set of pants and shirt and shoes I always wear out doing yard work with permethrin which not only keeps away the ticks but the 'skeeters and black flies etc that drive you nuts in this area. the effect doesn't last forever so it's good to do it say every few weeks or so or after you wash said clothes

rant to say if we can do something to rid the world of ticks, then WONDERFUL! literal parasite, I have a hard time believing there would be any sort of a butterfly effect ridding the world of a parasite, as if ticks somehow help maintain some delicate balance in the ecosystem or certain species etc.

keeping chickens on your property would really combat ticks, they are an animal that eats them up along with other annoying critters in your yard. but chickens aren't going to starve if we rid the world of ticks soooo fuck 'em (ticks that is). as far as I know, no species solely relies on ticks as it's main form of survival (food).

take note, these little pricks, I mean ticks, were not a problem until like maybe 15 years ago. At least in the region I live in, it is different in other regions of the USA and I'm sure the world also. I would be outside all the time as a kid and never ONCE got one on me, or heard of any friends getting one on them, never even heard of ticks until they became a problem. so were animals, birds, chickens etc starving to death prior to ticks population booming in our area? no they ate the few that were around, and all the other stuff they eat, like grubs, snails, worms, seeds etc which they will continue to thrive off of if the tick went the way of the dodo. one last time, fuck ticks

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Male mosquitos rarely travel over 3 miles from breeding grounds. Releasing GMO mosquitoes will not eradicate them, just reduce their territory.

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
ticks are a parasite, literally, and are rampant in my area in Central NY. I just pulled one off my leg yesterday (this is never a fun time removing them, there is a reason there is a saying "dug in like a tick") and I've been fortunate that I haven't had any lyme disease complications from previous bites. There used to be a belief if they were on you for X time you would be infected and we would sorta freak out not knowing how long the tick was on you and go get some like nuclear bomb equivalent of antibiotics (I think it is doxycycline) to make sure you don't develop lyme. Now it's more understood you could get infected at any point in time it is attached to you, so things more important to watch out for is if you develop odd rashes at the bite area, the bulls eye rash is the worst and sure sign you got something from it for example. It's always a challenge keeping the dogs and cats tick free too but they get medicine for this and does work for the most part but we put bandanas on them that are sprayed down with permethrin (needs to be diluted) so they wear them outside as an extra layer of tick protection. me and my dad make a SHIT TON of "tick tubes" and just got done making 175 new ones this year to be put at both our homes and our camp. spray permethrin (again should be diluted) on some material like pillow stuffing or anything that critters like mice might use and put that sprayed down material into an old toilet paper tube. distribute them all over where critters could access them, in your basement, sheds, perimeter and tree lines of your property etc. so the mice and other critters grab this material and take it back to their nests and places of travel and therefore kills the ticks before they can really populate. ticks form in those areas more because the stupid critter like mice sure have a hard time removing them so they thrive in areas where there are plenty of "hosts" for them to attach too....like a mouse nest. I am an avid deer hunter too and have seen some really ticked up. It's a bad situation all around. I'm actually going to start spraying a set of pants and shirt and shoes I always wear out doing yard work with permethrin which not only keeps away the ticks but the 'skeeters and black flies etc that drive you nuts in this area. the effect doesn't last forever so it's good to do it say every few weeks or so or after you wash said clothes

rant to say if we can do something to rid the world of ticks, then WONDERFUL! literal parasite, I have a hard time believing there would be any sort of a butterfly effect ridding the world of a parasite, as if ticks somehow help maintain some delicate balance in the ecosystem or certain species etc.

keeping chickens on your property would really combat ticks, they are an animal that eats them up along with other annoying critters in your yard. but chickens aren't going to starve if we rid the world of ticks soooo fuck 'em (ticks that is). as far as I know, no species solely relies on ticks as it's main form of survival (food).

take note, these little pricks, I mean ticks, were not a problem until like maybe 15 years ago. At least in the region I live in, it is different in other regions of the USA and I'm sure the world also. I would be outside all the time as a kid and never ONCE got one on me, or heard of any friends getting one on them, never even heard of ticks until they became a problem. so were animals, birds, chickens etc starving to death prior to ticks population booming in our area? no they ate the few that were around, and all the other stuff they eat, like grubs, snails, worms, seeds etc which they will continue to thrive off of if the tick went the way of the dodo. one last time, fuck ticks
I love your experienced passion, I would like to know they researched the effects property though.

Case Lian Li O11-D
I love your experienced passion, I would like to know they researched the effects property though.
yea I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve, if you will, and this is something that hits home with me. the passion comes from wanting to keep my family and myself safe from disease. And I understand there would need to be a better understanding of what ripple impact it could start. personal experiences are what make me dislike ticks so much. if you asked me 20yrs ago, I wouldn't have known what a tick is, and would have confused it with involuntary movements, "tics"

There is ONE positive I will say, it's kinda funny to use it as excuse to try and start some hanky panky with the girlfriend...."ok sweetheart, get them clothes off so I can check you for ticks" :laugh:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Just make sure it was the native species youre saving - Everything else can be crushed or fed to spiders.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
yea I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve, if you will, and this is something that hits home with me. the passion comes from wanting to keep my family and myself safe from disease. And I understand there would need to be a better understanding of what ripple impact it could start. personal experiences are what make me dislike ticks so much. if you asked me 20yrs ago, I wouldn't have known what a tick is, and would have confused it with involuntary movements, "tics"

There is ONE positive I will say, it's kinda funny to use it as excuse to try and start some hanky panky with the girlfriend...."ok sweetheart, get them clothes off so I can check you for ticks" :laugh:
What region is that again? :D :) :p

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Bear in mind that good mosquito control and quarantine on ships and aircraft have prevented plagues far far worse than Covid ever could be. Wholesale extermination of mosquitoes ended the yearly death of thousands due to yellow fever alone - over 20000 people died in the Mississippi River valley in 1878 alone. Yellow fever is also a violent disease, comparable to Ebola in its effects. Think death from vomiting blood...

And that is not even mentioning malaria, which can stay with you for the rest of your life.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Bear in mind that good mosquito control and quarantine on ships and aircraft have prevented plagues far far worse than Covid ever could be. Wholesale extermination of mosquitoes ended the yearly death of thousands due to yellow fever alone - over 20000 people died in the Mississippi River valley in 1878 alone. Yellow fever is also a violent disease, comparable to Ebola in its effects. Think death from vomiting blood...

And that is not even mentioning malaria, which can stay with you for the rest of your life.

That is kind of the point of me making this topic, do we really need mosquitoes/fleas/ticks anymore? lol I don't have the answer to that... just interesting to think about since we technically do have the power to eradicate them now thanks to CRISPR genetic editing.

or will there be a sci-fi twist to this thread in 20+ years? a new disease carried one of these critters trumps all other diseases we have ever faced as a species including bubonic plague, will we show sympathy if that day comes or will be embrace genetic editing fully and save our species?

heh, weird stuff, just interesting to think about. I wonder what John Michael Godier would say about this stuff @lexluthermiester

System Name New compy
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MPG x570S EDGE MAX WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S w. FHP141 + Xigmatek AOS XAF-F1451
Memory 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V Samsung B-Die Dual Rank F4-4000C16D-32GVKA
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 4070ti
Storage 17tb (8+4tb WD Black HDD's, 2+2+0.5+0.5tb M.2 SSD Drives) + 16tb WD Red Pro backup drive
Display(s) Alienware AW2518H 24" 240hz, Sony X85K 43" 4k 120hz HDR TV
Case Thermaltake Core v71
Audio Device(s) iFi Nano Idsd Le, Creative T20 + T50, Sennheiser HD6Mix
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1000w
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero custom w. G900 scroll wheel mod, Rival 3 + Rival 3 wireless, JLab Epic Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB + K70 RGB + K57 RGB Wireless + Logitech G613
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/s2y7ny
Just make sure it was the native species youre saving - Everything else can be crushed or fed to spiders.

Can't recall why they introduced the Asian Lady Beetle (aka Stink Beetles) I think it was to combat an invasive plant but all the Stink Beetles would just migrate to the sunny side of a house and work their way indoors. I remember vacuuming hundreds of them off the windows when I was a kid.

And it doesn't end there as CallandorWoT pointed out about mosquitoes in Hawaii, we in Canada now have Asian Giant Hornets in BC thanks probably to a cargo ship, they are known to kill entire bee populations with just one or 2 drones (it's pretty brutal, bees can't harm them and they simply go about beheading all the bees).

Case Lian Li O11-D
What region is that again? :D :) :p
the technical name is "the fun zone" lol

but for real, in case that sounded super weird about checking someone for ticks.....ticks can be as small as a flake of pepper, super hard to see, and they can be on you but not attached, like they are just crawling around and haven't bit you yet. you might not be able to feel or see them on you at this point. so it is serious to have a partner take a look to make sure you don't got one on the back of your neck or awkward spot in your arm pit, anywhere it may be hard to see or reach. gotta check the dog every time he comes back inside, hes such a good boy, I tell him "belly rub?!" and gives me a good opportunity to check him over before he does something like lays down on our bed and a couple ticks meander off of him and setup a stake out on our pillows waiting to munch on us overnight.

as a reference to how small they can be, this is a pic I saved from 2 years ago and is the smallest tick I have ever seen. so small it's not even in focus. that is my index finger it is on for size comparison. another one that buried itself into my leg. their bodies swell up as they suck up more blood from you the longer they feed on you so this lil guy at least got caught quickly. I could see this one since it was on my leg, but if it was on my back for ex I'd never know until it was too late. Here's where it is good to have a loved one give you a good look over to make sure you're tick free

Attachments

• tick.png
    tick.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 810
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Frogs, toads, and amphibians rely on insect populations
Not ticks though. Even we don't eat that shit.

My feelings is where mosquitos are native you probably need them. The rest of that crap? Nothing eats it, they can die.

or will there be a sci-fi twist to this thread in 20+ years? a new disease carried one of these critters trumps all other diseases we have ever faced as a species including bubonic plague, will we show sympathy if that day comes or will be embrace genetic editing fully and save our species?
All I can say about that is reality isn't likely to mimic a stellaris game.

take note, these little pricks, I mean ticks, were not a problem until like maybe 15 years ago. At least in the region I live in, it is different in other regions of the USA and I'm sure the world also.
I hate to even say this due to the attention it will attract, but tick populations exploding is legit due to global warming. As such, it will probably only get worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Can't recall why they introduced the Asian Lady Beetle (aka Stink Beetles) I think it was to combat an invasive plant but all the Stink Beetles would just migrate to the sunny side of a house and work their way indoors. I remember vacuuming hundreds of them off the windows when I was a kid.

They'll also give you a nasty nip if you pick them up too! f**k'em!