• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are you looking for in a Motherboard Review?

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
To be clear on this, you are for example copying data from one M.2 to another M.2, while another one is writing data to SATA AND you are using the forth M.2 to copy data to USB device?

I can see normal use case for copying between two drives, but not all at once.
Raid 0 on three nvme with another as a scratch drive on the south chip plus external via USB 3.2 nvme.

ir_cow

Staff member
Raid 0 on three nvme with another as a scratch drive on the south chip plus external via USB 3.2 nvme.
Okay well that is a bit different lol.

Raid-0 a bit extreme. First off, no one who actual cares about their data is going to do that. Secondly ,who needs 18GB/s internal read/write speed on their desktop. A single Gen3 M2 is good enough for 8K RED footage, this is just overkill in my opinion.

Also you will be bandwidth limited by the CPU uplink.... But maybe that's what your getting at here?

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Okay well that is a bit different lol.

Raid-0 a bit extreme. First off, no one who actual cares about their data is going to do that. Secondly ,who needs 18GB/s internal read/write speed on their desktop. A single Gen3 M2 is good enough for 8K RED footage, this is just overkill in my opinion.

Also you will be bandwidth limited by the CPU uplink.... But maybe that's what your getting at here?
Also data lane usage on sata can affect it as can usb 3.2 so valid.
Backed up games and files aren't essential:).

ir_cow

Staff member
Not to be rude, I'm just having a hard time understanding a use-case for that type of situation.

SATA, USB and M.2 drives on the PCH do all share lanes to the CPU. Now the question. How is it actually routed and what is the best way to test that.

I pulled this from the manual online. It shows how things are broken up.
block_diagram.png

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
How is it actually routed and what is the best way to test that.
As far as I understand there is no freedom and only one way to do storage. Of course you can choose to not have certain ports on your board, but it's kinda obvious that they are missing when they are missing

Maybe "which M.2 is connected to the CPU, which to chipset", that's mentioned in all manuals I think

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Sorry mate, you are an edge-case of an edge-case. Very few people have two NVMe drives, let alone 5; even fewer have them in RAID-0.

Last edited:
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Sorry mate, you are an edge-case of an edge-case. Very few people have two NVMe drives, let alone 5; even fewer have them in RAID-0.
Are you the reviewer.
I appreciate your point but.

Your saying that because most use one nvme and a GPU.

That the three to four nvme ports , and any extra pciex space don't need testing.

Well don't ask what needs improving and speal the same shit out then.

They're on the board, why would you not use them?!

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 57ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum, transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Would be cool to do a cost estimate based on component prices, compare that to other mobos etc.

Buildzoid I think and probably others break down every important subunit of the boards, VRM chips, voltage regulators, sound codec chips etc.

I want to know how much I'm being upcharged for marketing.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
They're on the board, why would you not use them?!
Because the reviewer has only a finite amount of time to do the review and thus must choose which tests to run and which to omit. Quite obviously, the ones that end up being included are the ones that the majority of the readers will find useful, while the ones omitted are the opposite. And your use-case is the opposite.

ir_cow

Staff member
@TheoneandonlyMrK I don't want to shoot your idea down otherwise what is the point in asking people for feedback. Can you confirm what exactly testing would look like?

In my head this is what I'm thinking based on what said. Connect all M.2 drives on the PCH (This is 2-4 depending on the MB). Raid-0 them all and do a read test of a different drive connected via USB. This "should" show if any bandwidth restrictions exist for that USB port, like if the M.2 drives are using the bandwidth. The only flaw in this experiment would be if the Raid-0 is idle, it might not affect the USB transfer speed at all. I guess only one way to find out.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Would be cool to do a cost estimate based on component prices, compare that to other mobos etc.

Buildzoid I think and probably others break down every important subunit of the boards, VRM chips, voltage regulators, sound codec chips etc.

I want to know how much I'm being upcharged for marketing.
Estimating component costs isn't realistic. You'd need to know how each motherboard manufacturer negotiated supplier contracts for every single component with the expectation that volume purchases at wholesale result in lower cost per unit. You most certainly cannot use retail price for ____ capacitor or ____ microcontroller.

Do you think NZXT is paying the same prices for their mobo components as Asus? I don't. And neither shops on eBay or AliExpress.

And what does it matter if gross margin for one mobo manufacturer is 38.7% and another is 39.3%? (Yes, those are made up numbers.) Even if Asus handed ir_cow a BOM with COGS listed at the bottom, he still wouldn't know other costs specific to the board.

As I mentioned in my original response, no one can please everyone all the time. Reviewer ir_cow needs to prioritize what he can focus on and what he'll let drop.

He doesn't have time to write 200 page motherboard review with 100+ graphs and diagrams. And I don't want to read one anyhow. Who does? I bet some here would raise their hands and then complain that ___ wasn't covered as much as they had hoped.

Everyone needs to remember that for every minute ir_cow spends on working on Motherboard A's review, that's one less minute for Motherboards B, C and D. Do people here want exhaustive reviews of 8-10 boards per year or wider coverage over a wider number of products?

Look at it from a different angle. The four big motherboard manufacturers are AsRock, Asus, Gigabyte and MSI. If ir_cow reviews the top of the line boards (full ATX format) with premium Intel and AMD chipsets, that's eight reviews right there. Worse, when a new chipset releases, all four manufacturers release new flagship models in a relatively short span. Does he test them in the order received?

It would be like exhaustive reviews of sportscars with V12 motors. Great, that's $200K I don't have but the tech is cool. Would more people read reviews of Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys?

As we all know, website operators worship at the Temple of the Almighty Pageview.

Does W1zzard want ir_cow to focus on $1,000+ motherboards? $150 ones?

Last edited:
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
@TheoneandonlyMrK I don't want to shoot your idea down otherwise what is the point in asking people for feedback. Can you confirm what exactly testing would look like?

In my head this is what I'm thinking based on what said. Connect all M.2 drives on the PCH (This is 2-4 depending on the MB). Raid-0 them all and do a read test of a different drive connected via USB. This "should" show if any bandwidth restrictions exist for that USB port, like if the M.2 drives are using the bandwidth. The only flaw in this experiment would be if the Raid-0 is idle, it might not affect the USB transfer speed at all. I guess only one way to find out.
I would suggest on the modern board's with possibly four nvme ports, all filled and two filled with only all filled on raid 0, simply to absolutely max the io required through to usb too obviously,then with two separate drive's, you can do internal nvme transfers and external and people would have a great idea of typically used and worse case.

ir_cow

Staff member
Everyone needs to remember that for every minute ir_cow spends on working on Motherboard A's review, that's one less minute for Motherboards B, C and D. Do people here want exhaustive reviews of 8-10 boards per year or wider coverage over a wider number of products?

Look at it from a different angle. The four big motherboard manufacturers are AsRock, Asus, Gigabyte and MSI. If ir_cow reviews the top of the line boards (full ATX format) with premium Intel and AMD chipsets, that's eight reviews right there. Worse, when a new chipset releases, all four manufacturers release new flagship models in a relatively short span. Does he test them in the order received?

Does W1zzard want ir_cow to focus on $1,000+ motherboards? $150 ones?
Without getting into the specifics of each vendor. Here is common way things happen.

Vendor sends a email asking if the reviewer wants to cover product X. If yes, product is sent. Products are reviewed in order received.

Things get shuffled around based on the conditions of getting a sample. "Publish within 5 weeks" or stuff like that. Or hey we sent you 3 things, can you do product B first. Generally though, its whatever is offered for sampling. I may have no choices, or 5 to pick from. Depends on the vendor. Some if you already established relations prior samples can be sent without contacting you first. Mystery boxes I call those. I get a Fedex tracking because its linked to my phone number. I can tell who its from, but not much else.

I've already talk to wiz about speedy reviews. He wants quailty. That means the review can be 2 paragraphs or 10 pages. Length does not matter, its the content within.

I agree with this generally. While I can't please everyone here, some requests can be accomplished without adding much time. I naturally write long reviews. Pros and cons to my writing style of coverage.

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I've already talk to wiz about speedy reviews. He wants quailty. That means the review can be 2 paragraphs or 10 pages. Length does not matter, its the content within.
Yes yes, regardless of each review length, they could all be "good" as a standalone review.

However since you're reviewing motherboards, you basically have to cover the same things in each motherboard review from a practical standpoint. Consumers in the market for a motherboard naturally want to compare apples to apples. It's not like you are going to list all the ports on the I/O shield with speeds & protocols in a long Review A and say in a short Review B "huzzah, there are plenty of ports on this baby!"

It would be like a restaurant reviewer skipping the dessert course at Restaurant A but reviewing the wine list there and reviewing the dessert course at Restaurant B but ignoring the wine list. Or ignoring some aspects like dining room acoustics, access by public transit, etc. Or ignore vegetarian options at one place but not the other.

If you add new metrics to your motherboard reviews, wouldn't you be adding them to all future reviews when applicable?

If you start testing m.2 throughput, it's not terribly useful if you include the data for Motherboard A and leave it out on its direct competitor Motherboard B. Or leave out the unboxing photos. Or list of accessories. Or try overclocking Motherboard C but not do it on A, B, and D. Et cetera.

And by your own admittance, you are not writing 2 paragraph reviews anyhow.

It don't see anyone here asking you to write shorter reviews. In fact, every single request has you adding more data points, more testing, more detail, more time, more words. And I'm no different, I asked you to include more coverage on the software (UEFI/BIOS and motherboard companion software) like others have requested as well.

Last edited:

ir_cow

Staff member
If you add new metrics to your motherboard reviews, wouldn't you be adding them to all future reviews when applicable?
Yep. This is why I am asking now, so when the new Ryzen stuff drops it can be fairly consistent onwards. Ask for stuff now or wait another cycle. That's pretty much it. Seems like a lot has been asked, which is great!

Now comes the balancing act. IF something had to be removed, what is the least important, informational or pointless general. This is a hard one because if it didn't make sense to have it, it would probably already be removed.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I have no complaints with the reviews :cool:

System Name Donnager
Processor 13900KS, lapped and contact frame
Motherboard Asus Z790 Hero
Cooling Heatkiller IV CPU block, Heatkiller V GPU block, GTX 480mm radiator, D5 pump
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury 7200C38
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3
Storage Optane 380GB M.2 OS drive, M.2 2TB game drive
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 120Hz 3440x1440
Case Fractal Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Outlaw RR2150 stereo receiver driving DIY kits, Schiit Asgard for Sennheiser HD6XX headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
I like the current reviews the way they are. I look at the naked board deep dives on the VRMs, their temperatures and board layouts, the stability during testing, and the analog audio performance.

ir_cow

Staff member
I guess that was a stupid question to ask. Not much to remove, just things to add.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
This one might be hard to pull off or give funky results. I can batch script to test all drives at once with DiskSpd but to test all the usb ports, sata and nvme at once. That is a lot of drives and external enclosures I don't have. Who is accessing all this at once?
It's very very common for multiple NVME drives
As a simple test you could definitely have some smaller NVME drives, and just do a test from CPU->chipset and chipset-chipset and see if they slow noticeably

I agree that going balls to the wall testing *everything* at once is implausible - a user who wants that, wants threadripper with all its lane insanity. But testing two drives at once, or testing two chipset connected devices? sure.

Even the fastest USB port (with an NVME drive, ofc) to a chipset NVME slot, would be a great test that would be a common use case for a large amount of home users.

I've got an NVME drive that reads at 1.5GB a second, and not one system in my house breaks 800MB/s reads from it on a 10Gb USB device. On the 5Gb/s ports. it sits around 250-300MB/s and that just... doesn't add up.

Two NVME is fairly common, by now a lot of people have upgraded from the smaller earlier gen models or gen 3 to gen 4, and kept the first drive.

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
6. VRM's and a discussion on why they matter.
Intels 10700 (non k) being a 65W CPU that uses 215W of power threw logic is out the window and it's never come back.
AMD's FX series started this with the FX 9590 and it's 220W TDP, causing major thermal throttling for unaware users on all but the best boards - this is not an intel only issue and could very easily go horrible on AM5 too
Even midrange CPU's are using enough power to thermal throttle boards at stock, and since TPU covers overclocking we'd need to know how they handle stock conditions and overclocked conditions. Even a simulated worst case (12 core ryzen with all core OC and higher than needed voltages lets you know how a 16 core would run, that an 8 core would never have issues, etc)
View attachment 259422View attachment 259423

This is actually the most important pice right now. After watching Hardware Unboxed's Review I was shocked how many boards from so called "premium manufacturers" where crippled by thermal throttling. o_O So many low end boards can't handle Intel's boost power draw. And this is not only a matter of performance but also reliability (heat kills electronics). Granted, nobody runs their rigs without fans, but there will be a huge difference if you use a top down blower style CPU cooler or a water cooler where the VRM's don't get any direct air.

The power draw varies also very much from board to board, sometimes even without reflecting in performance.

I want to see more middle-/lower-end boards and fewer high-end ones reviewed. Halo products are technically interesting and the ones that the companies love to sample because they make them look good, but they are useless for the vast majority of consumers who can't afford such boards and thus won't be buying them.

The guy in the Hardware Unboxed's Review (where he reviewed 10 low/mid range boards) mentioned that he had to buy 6/10 boards with his own cash. High end boards always come free as a review sample. These companies who don't provide review samples of their low/mid end boards know they are semi trash, thus don't want to see reviews of them. ;) That's the problem.

capacitors conected backwards and blowing mosfets, risk of fire, that's really bad to say the least

Hello, ASUS! :) Asus recalls 10,000 Z690 Hero motherboards because of a backward capacitor

I do have a few open ended questions to narrow down to specifics. You guys have to remember I am at constantly at war with time. I could spend months a a single review. All for a few people? It needs to be balanced.

1) In your opinion, is the motherboard power draw actually important? Are you looking for sleep, idle and load?
2) BIOS features - List out the things you want covered for AMD or Intel (both if they overlap).
3) Chipset temps - Is this important? If yes, why do you think so
4) budget overclocking - Would you suggest buying a budget MB (ASROCK B660 MB from video) with the purpose to put a 12700/12900 (non-k) in and overclock it? If so, is 100c on the MOSFETTs acceptable to you?
5) Would a Infrared camera picture be useful at all. It looks pretty, but the data isn't helpful. "Hot spots" are not in context. If a VRM heatsink is at 70c, but the MB is at 26c. That what does that tell you?

1) at our current time (global energy crisis) I think power draw is something a lot will look after
2) some BIOS flashback feature should get extra points; overclocking/underclocking results; just some screenshots of the BIOS menu (design)
3) if it's getting too hot it does matter for stability & reliability, so yes
4) if it's compatible & folks actually go for it, then sure it's a thing. And yes, 100c+ is not good for any component
5) don't know if it's useful, but it's a nice click bait. You'll see tech in a way you'll usually never see it (could add the hotspot temps/digits to the image for informative value)

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
This is actually the most important pice right now. After watching Hardware Unboxed's Review I was shocked how many boards from so called "premium manufacturers" where crippled by thermal throttling. o_O So many low end boards can't handle Intel's boost power draw. And this is not only a matter of performance but also reliability (heat kills electronics). Granted, nobody runs their rigs without fans, but there will be a huge difference if you use a top down blower style CPU cooler or a water cooler where the VRM's don't get any direct air.

The power draw varies also very much from board to board, sometimes even without reflecting in performance.

The guy in the Hardware Unboxed's Review (where he reviewed 10 low/mid range boards) mentioned that he had to buy 6/10 boards with his own cash. High end boards always come free as a review sample. These companies who don't provide review samples of their low/mid end boards know they are semi trash, thus don't want to see reviews of them. ;) That's the problem.

Hello, ASUS! :) Asus recalls 10,000 Z690 Hero motherboards because of a backward capacitor

1) at our current time (global energy crisis) I think power draw is something a lot will look after
2) some BIOS flashback feature should get extra points; overclocking/underclocking results; just some screenshots of the BIOS menu (design)
3) if it's getting too hot it does matter for stability & reliability, so yes
4) if it's compatible & folks actually go for it, then sure it's a thing. And yes, 100c+ is not good for any component
5) don't know if it's useful, but it's a nice click bait. You'll see tech in a way you'll usually never see it (could add the hotspot temps/digits to the image for informative value)
Oh yes they do - they get these boards with high wattage CPUs, slap a budget garbage AIO on there and remove all cooling from the already bad VRMs

Heck that's worth testing - VRM's with and without airflow.
Too many CPU's dont have a stock cooler now, so an AIO and then with and without a fan would be enough (with the aforementioned stock and over-volted OC stress test)

100% agree on lower end boards needing testing too, but Self-Funding may be an issue. :(
I suppose donation drives and requests on the forums could work - it only takes one global user to be willing to pay for a cheaper board or send their hated budget board in for testing.

Case Apple proprietary
100% agree on lower end boards needing testing too, but Self-Funding may be an issue. :(
I suppose donation drives and requests on the forums could work - it only takes one global user to be willing to pay for a cheaper board or send their hated budget board in for testing.
If this sort of thing takes off, I'm gonna start reviewing restaurants and let GoFundMe pay for my dinner check.

Oh, and if you guys have any bottles of grower Champagne, feel free to send them to me. I'll be happy to review those for you too.

:):p:D

System Name Donnager
Processor 13900KS, lapped and contact frame
Motherboard Asus Z790 Hero
Cooling Heatkiller IV CPU block, Heatkiller V GPU block, GTX 480mm radiator, D5 pump
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury 7200C38
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3
Storage Optane 380GB M.2 OS drive, M.2 2TB game drive
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 120Hz 3440x1440
Case Fractal Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Outlaw RR2150 stereo receiver driving DIY kits, Schiit Asgard for Sennheiser HD6XX headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Oh yes they do - they get these boards with high wattage CPUs, slap a budget garbage AIO on there and remove all cooling from the already bad VRMs

Heck that's worth testing - VRM's with and without airflow.
Too many CPU's dont have a stock cooler now, so an AIO and then with and without a fan would be enough (with the aforementioned stock and over-volted OC stress test)

All of this. Boards costing $400+ don't interest me much. Top end CPUs are fun to read about, but not really necessary for casual gaming. It's like Ferrari vs. Corvette. And the budget chips are the F150s, getting the job done.

Case Apple proprietary
I guess that was a stupid question to ask. Not much to remove, just things to add.
I know that the compensation terms between you and TPU are confidential however this discussion does bring up a question.

Let's say you decide to add three more metrics to your reviews. Including set up time, testing, equipment teardown, data analysis and writing, let's say two of these metrics take 30 minutes apiece and the third takes an hour. If you have ten boards queued up, that's twenty more hours of your time by my calculation. And what if some of these tests require additional equipment? Who pays for that?

Will TPU increase compensation for your additional effort?

One thing for certain, you aren't going to be adding more data points to your reviews without putting in more time and effort.

System Name LAMP 2017
Processor Intel Core i7-7700K
Motherboard MSI Z270I GAMING PRO CARBON AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory Crucial 2x8 GB DDR4-2400 CL17
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB, Samsung 870 QVO 8TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW
Case NCASE M1 V2
Audio Device(s) RME ADI-2 Pro, Neumann KH120A, Sennheiser HD800
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G303