• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are you looking for in a Motherboard Review?

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I expect I'm in the extreme minority here, but I've often wondered about ECC support on consumer-ish motherboards. Particularly with AMD platforms, it feels like ECC support is sometimes present, though hardly ever supported officially.
Topics like getting unsupported features like ECC to work are going to be challenging.

The first is widespread consumer interest. If ECC doesn't work on a Motherboard A even if a reviewer got it working, if Reader Q asks Manufacturer A for help, they're just going receive the standard "that feature is not supported on this product" reply.

From a practical standpoint for the reviewer, how many hoops do they need to jump through to get this unsupported feature to work?

This appears to be the reason why The FPS Review frequently splits out their reviews of graphics cards: the primary review at out-of-the-box stock clocks and a separate review/article for overclocking said card. When you read one FPS article about overclocking, it's clear that a lot of time was spent pushing card settings to the limit, beyond the limit, and dialing back down until stable performance is attained.

Sure, I'd love me some ECC memory support, but ultimately it needs to come from the manufacturer and be under warranty coverage.

Last edited:

ir_cow

Staff member
Topics like getting unsupported features like ECC to work are going to be challenging.
Unsupported is the key here. I looked into this before. Ryzen / Threadripper unofficially supports ECC. Its up the motherboard manufacturer to include support. Since it isn't officially supported by AMD, most boards that do will not list it in the specifications. I declined DDR4-3600 ECC ram for this exact reason. I couldn't get a clear answer from (RAM vendor) what MB supported ECC. If you take a look at ASUS X570 ProArt, on the specifications page one line just says "ECC Memory (ECC mode) support varies by CPU.". Super helpful with no additional information lol. The point I'm making here is since it isn't officially supported, unless the MB vendor makes big claims about real ECC support in marketing, I cannot dock them in the review for it not working. A nice little bit of information to know that it work / didn't work for me, but that isn't a guarantee you will get the same results.

Let's say you decide to add three more metrics to your reviews. Including set up time, testing, equipment teardown, data analysis and writing, let's say two of these metrics take 30 minutes apiece and the third takes an hour. If you have ten boards queued up, that's twenty more hours of your time by my calculation. And what if some of these tests require additional equipment? Who pays for that?

Will TPU increase compensation for your additional effort?
I can't get into details here. Wiz can chime in if he wants. I'm the motto of "show your worth, before asking for more". The only person who can gauge if its worth the extra time invested is Wiz. The way I se e it is, more content drives traffic. Good content keeps people coming back. How much site traffic is organic and how much comes from search engines. These are stats Wiz keeps close and that isn't our business.

If for example (random numbers) 85% of all review page traffic is from search engines. I would prioritize more reviews over longer in-depth reviews. However, this is the tricky part. Why is 85% of the traffic from search engines? Is it because TPU comes up as #1 for the most content (no one else reviewed said product), or TPU reputation is highly valued and people specifically click on TPU. Maybe neither. These are the questions site owners have to think about.

One thing for certain, you aren't going to be adding more data points to your reviews without putting in more time and effort.
Yep

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, Alphacool NexXxoS ST25 360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe x 2
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
I expect I'm in the extreme minority here, but I've often wondered about ECC support on consumer-ish motherboards. Particularly with AMD platforms, it feels like ECC support is sometimes present, though hardly ever supported officially.

I particularly enjoyed this article from Hardware Canucks - https://hardwarecanucks.com/cpu-motherboard/ecc-memory-amds-ryzen-deep-dive/
Yeh it seems difficult to tell and get info on beyond the OS reporting that it was detected. Early on I had a support ticket with MemTest86 and they helped get ECC error injection working with Zen+ but Zen2/Zen3 and AGESA bios updates came along and wacked that capability. I can say that ASRock seems to include and advertise ECC support on their boards. ASRock Master SLI/ac (before I literally blew mine up with PBO) and ASRock Tiachi x570 does support it. I got real confirmation eventually when the OS to reported corrected errors with RAM overclocking. Aside from the bit correction the reporting of a problem is the most useful feature to let you know when something is going wrong and seemingly hardest to confirm when not supported officially.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
To be fair I never really read much of the performance results on motherboards. They're all so similar, I barely care. I just scan whether its not in a weird place and that's as far as that interest goes.

More important:
- Feature set
- Quality of implementation of said feature set
- Build quality
- Placement of connectors etc. Spacing between slots.
- How it looks in a case
- How it OC's (stability and tweakability, but also ease of use and how BIOS settings reflect what really happens)
- QVL/general support quality wrt parts/CPUs/etc.
- Audio

Would also appreciate a list/matrix of features/price/chipset capability of all motherboards attached to each review, preferably growing as more boards are added each gen. That's the main source for me really when I go out to pick a MB.

The overarching theme: 'will this just work?'

Last edited:
System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, Alphacool NexXxoS ST25 360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe x 2
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
With AMD new socket on the horizon, I figured it was time to reflex on current reviews and see where I can improve. This is where I need your help. Tell me what you want to see in a motherboard review!
It might be too volatile to test for a review but will the boards temp sensors and safety features work if one decides to do something stupid with PBO. In other words will it catch fire, throttle, or shut down?
I have a couple nice pictures of what can happen when the motherboard burns up but it's probably the rare exception.

Last edited:
System Name LAMP 2017
Processor Intel Core i7-7700K
Motherboard MSI Z270I GAMING PRO CARBON AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory Crucial 2x8 GB DDR4-2400 CL17
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB, Samsung 870 QVO 8TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW
Case NCASE M1 V2
Audio Device(s) RME ADI-2 Pro, Neumann KH120A, Sennheiser HD800
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G303
Keyboard (varies)
Well, here's hoping that the future brings more (any) consumer boards with official ECC support! I was really excited when W680 boards were announced but so far it seems like nothing consumer oriented has come from that.

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I can't get into details here. Wiz can chime in if he wants. I'm the motto of "show your worth, before asking for more". The only person who can gauge if its worth the extra time invested is Wiz. The way I se e it is, more content drives traffic. Good content keeps people coming back. How much site traffic is organic and how much comes from search engines. These are stats Wiz keeps close and that isn't our business.

If for example (random numbers) 85% of all review page traffic is from search engines. I would prioritize more reviews over longer in-depth reviews. However, this is the tricky part. Why is 85% of the traffic from search engines? Is it because TPU comes up as #1 for the most content (no one else reviewed said product), or TPU reputation is highly valued and people specifically click on TPU. Maybe neither. These are the questions site owners have to think about.
Site operators like Wiz can pay for better search engine result placement regardless of content quality.

This is how Alphabet makes the lion's share of its revenue: Google AdWords. The top hit on a search engine doesn't automatically make it the best. In many ways, it's a popularity contest but you can stuff the ballot box with paid votes. So when you search for "air conditioning repair Ames Iowa" the top search result will be a certain company near Ames, IA that likely paid for that ranking. Whether or not that A/C company will do a better job than their competitors cannot be surmised.

Google's search algorithms are secret but remember the prank where a bunch of people on the Internet manipulated Google's search results by getting "weapons of mass destruction" to point to a page that stated there were no weapons of mass destruction? Good times, good times.

Anyhow, Wiz will need to weigh the benefits of more expansive equipment reviews. There is a line between thoroughness and eyeball-rolling prattling about pedantic minutiae. That line is different for each and every one of us. At some point, that 20-30 page review is going to get tiresome to a portion of the readership.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Anyhow, Wiz will need to weigh the benefits of more expansive equipment reviews. There is a line between thoroughness and just prattling on about pedantic minutiae. That line is different for each and every one of us. At some point, that 20-30 page review is going to get tiresome to a portion of the readership.
In the case of motherboards perhaps less is more, and with that I mean, be very thorough on the things that stand out about it, and don't bother too much with the samey stuff. Because really, the vast majority of boards is in a good place altogether wrt performance, but right now that's the lion's share of each review's work (and page count) it seems. I'm not sure that's the best balance.

More expansive, or differently focused?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
If this sort of thing takes off, I'm gonna start reviewing restaurants and let GoFundMe pay for my dinner check.

Oh, and if you guys have any bottles of grower Champagne, feel free to send them to me. I'll be happy to review those for you too.

:):p:D
It'd never work on the high end, but if people want something budget reviewed it's a viable method
Theres a thread ATM about TPU merchandising, i wonder if we could use that and have users vote towards what they want reviewed next

A simple poll for chipset, and let the comments section or reviewer go from there

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
VRM configuration, build quality, thermals, BIOS gimmicks, software. Everything else can be found on a spec sheet (except for overclocking which doesn't interest me).

Case Apple proprietary
It'd never work on the high end, but if people want something budget reviewed it's a viable method
In the land of $5+ espresso drinks, there are probably a million people within two hours drive who would love to have their mid-priced meals paid for by crowd funding (I'm in the SF Bay Area). Down in L.A., there are probably 2-3 million people who would sign up for this.

And I'm not sure how many people would toss in five bucks into a pot for a crowd-funded restaurant review when they can spend a few dollars more and actually fill up their stomach. When a tank of regular unleaded gas is $80 and hamburgers (beyond fast food) start around $15, that $30 lunch doesn't sound very expensive, does it?

It was mostly a joke anyhow. If someone could get others to pay for their lunches via blatant unabashed crowd sourcing, it would have been done by now.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
IF something had to be removed, what is the least important, informational or pointless general. This is a hard one because if it didn't make sense to have it, it would probably already be removed.
The "Audio Quality" page and tests should be nuked entirely. The audio snobs are all using external DACs anyway and the rest of us don't give a flying fuck. Condense that entire page into a single paragraph in the "Board Layout" page that shows the photo of the audio section currently on the "Audio Quality" page, plus a comment on the codec used, and that's all that's needed. Obviously, special comment should be made when there is no onboard audio (e.g. ASUS' upcoming X670E ITX boards).

ir_cow

Staff member
The "Audio Quality" page and tests should be nuked entirely. The audio snobs are all using external DACs anyway and the rest of us don't give a flying fuck. Condense that entire page into a single paragraph in the "Board Layout" page that shows the photo of the audio section currently on the "Audio Quality" page, plus a comment on the codec used, and that's all that's needed. Obviously, special comment should be made when there is no onboard audio (e.g. ASUS' upcoming X670E ITX boards).
I agree with this. Years ago it was important, but now everyone has USB headphones, wireless headphones, Audio over HDMI or audio SPDIF. However it doesn't save much time in the grand scheme of things. Maybe 10 minutes.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I agree with this. Years ago it was important, but now everyone has USB headphones, wireless headphones, Audio over HDMI or audio SPDIF. However it doesn't save much time in the grand scheme of things. Maybe 10 minutes.
I tried *shrug*

A little bit more in the audio department would be great.
From the reviews it seems like most of the motherboards with same chipset and in the same price range have similar quality, it sounds logical but is this the case?

System Name MSI-MEG
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism + Thermal Grizzly
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim X RTX 3080
Storage 500 GB MSI Spatium nvme + 500 GB WD nvme + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 2 TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) 27" LG 144HZ 2K ULTRAGEAR
Case MSI MPG Velox Airflow 100P
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing
Power Supply Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows10 LTSC 64 bit
That may be silly, but when I look for a new motherboard I first look at the onboard sound quality and its bundled audio software (dts+, dolby etc)

Case Apple proprietary
Count me as another who recommends reducing coverage of onboard audio. It’s only important to identify if there’s something unusual (good or bad), otherwise “onboard audio works as expected” is sufficient.

I haven’t made an analog audio connection to any of my desktop PCs (including Macs) in well over a decade. I know the sound quality goes to crap the moment the onboard DAC converts to an analog signal due to all of the EMI inside the case.

I‘ve also dumped analog wired audio for notebook PCs in the past five or so years. Admittedly the only time I use headphones or earbuds is the rare teleconference. The notebook PC's audio is unimportant to me.

An acknowledgement of bundled audio software is worth retaining though.

Last edited:
System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
Good reviews so far.

I always find that for motherboard reviews, no one really tests the onboard sound quality. A lot of these boards advertise premium sound components, so a bit of comparison would be nice.

ir_cow

Staff member
Good reviews so far.

I always find that for motherboard reviews, no one really tests the onboard sound quality. A lot of these boards advertise premium sound components, so a bit of comparison would be nice.
It is a hard thing to do. The best way would be like EVGA NU Audio Sound Card Review or FiiO K9 Pro ESS Desktop DAC & Amplifier Review or better yet (Sorry TPU!)

Review and Measurements of EVGA NU Audio PC Card - Audio Science Review - Best site for audio reviews.

This stuff is outside my expertise. I understand what I'm reading here, but I couldn't write it. Also think about how much time this would add. If I did it, a lot. RightMark isn't the best solution because it relays on the input and out of the onboard audio to be good. I've come across boards that had horrible results and it was just the input line that was trash. It is also a bit subjective. I could say that the audio is great but the input is bad without a real test besides my ears. Its better than nothing right?...or is it..

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
It is a hard thing to do. The best way would be like EVGA NU Audio Sound Card Review or FiiO K9 Pro ESS Desktop DAC & Amplifier Review or better yet (Sorry TPU!)

Review and Measurements of EVGA NU Audio PC Card - Audio Science Review - Best site for audio reviews.

This stuff is outside my expertise. I understand what I'm reading here, but I couldn't write it. Also think about how much time this would add. If I did it, a lot. RightMark isn't the best solution because it relays on the input and out of the onboard audio to be good. I've come across boards that had horrible results and it was just the input line that was trash. It is also a bit subjective. I could say that the audio is great but the input is bad without a real test besides my ears. Its better than nothing right?...or is it..
If you can attempt such an endeavor, it will set you that much more ahead of other reviewers. Your methodology will obviously evolve as you learn more. Perhaps you could get some training and I'm sure @W1zzard will help get what you need for equipment when you are ready. I know it will be difficult and a whole lot of work, but the reward could also be great.

Processor Intel i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4x16 GB (64GB) DDR4-3600 C18
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX500 500GB
Case Fractal Define C
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-550
[...]What do YOU want to read about in a motherboard review?

I would like to see more focus on analyzing default settings and how they deviate from CPU manufacturer recommendations/specifications or common sense.

In particular, CPU settings concerning power savings (C-states, etc), power/current limits and voltage corrections (AC/DC Loadline, etc), if any overclock is present by default and so on.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Onboard sound definitely matters, but it's also not worth spending large amounts of time on.

If the testing is mostly automated, that makes it easy - the discussion should be on the outputs and supported features, since as discussed many people use digital audio instead (HDMI/DP and USB)

System Name BOX
Processor Core i7 6950X @ 4,26GHz (1,28V)
Motherboard X99 SOC Champion (BIOS F23c + bifurcation mod)
Cooling Thermalright Venomous-X + 2x Delta 38mm PWM (Push-Pull)
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 4x8GB (@3240MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @ 1,48V)
Video Card(s) Titan V (~1650MHz @ 0.77V, HBM2 1GHz, Forced P2 state [OFF])
Storage WD SN850X 2TB + Samsung EVO 2TB (SATA) + Seagate Exos X20 20TB (4Kn mode)
Display(s) LG 27GP950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Motu M4 (audio interface) + ATH-A900Z + Behringer C-1
Power Supply Seasonic X-760 (760W)
Mouse Logitech RX-250
Keyboard HP KB-9970
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Adding to VRM testing point :
In lower end or problematic motherboards reviews, I would love to see how much negative offset (-0.1V or -0.2V) on Vcore can help them cope with higher CPU models (if they are supported). Obviously with decresed max. turbo ratios by 100 - 400MHz when they unstable, or for "die quality lottery" margin to make everyone happy.

Last month I wanted to buy cheapest B660 full ATX MB, but there were simply no tests/reviews of them anywhere :(
I eventually picked Gigabyte's B660 DS3H DDR4 "open box" with discount.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
In lower end or problematic motherboards reviews, I would love to see how much negative offset (-0.1V or -0.2V) on Vcore can help them cope with higher CPU models (if they are supported). Obviously with decresed max. turbo ratios by 100 - 400MHz when they unstable, or for "die quality lottery" margin to make everyone happy.

Last month I wanted to buy cheapest B660 full ATX MB, but there were simply no tests/reviews of them anywhere :(
Why would you want to pair a cheap motherboard with a high-end CPU?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

That's something you can work out once you know the boards maximum VRM wattages anwyay

If a board can only handle 200W without throttling, you already have the answer to what CPU's are supported. Instead of testing a dozen CPU's, you can test one high end model and discover the wattage limits, and then look up the wattages of the various CPU's. Same information, far less work.

Why would you want to pair a cheap motherboard with a high-end CPU?
Why not? Motherboards don't add any performance - the only time a motherboard can be a performance detriment is this one situation of VRM's that cant handle stock

An A320 runs like an x570 with no performance change
(Random screencaps from youtube, first result when searching)
1662965009708.png

1662965090579.png

By that metric, it's absolutely worth knowing if a motherboard is going to hamper performance - if they say they support high end CPU's on a budget board, they better deliver