• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are you looking for in a Motherboard Review?

System Name BOX
Processor Core i7 6950X @ 4,26GHz (1,28V)
Motherboard X99 SOC Champion (BIOS F23c + bifurcation mod)
Cooling Thermalright Venomous-X + 2x Delta 38mm PWM (Push-Pull)
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 4x8GB (@3240MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @ 1,48V)
Video Card(s) Titan V (~1650MHz @ 0.77V, HBM2 1GHz, Forced P2 state [OFF])
Storage WD SN850X 2TB + Samsung EVO 2TB (SATA) + Seagate Exos X20 20TB (4Kn mode)
Display(s) LG 27GP950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Motu M4 (audio interface) + ATH-A900Z + Behringer C-1
Power Supply Seasonic X-760 (760W)
Mouse Logitech RX-250
Keyboard HP KB-9970
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
That's something you can work out once you know the boards maximum VRM wattages anwyay

If a board can only handle 200W without throttling, you already have the answer to what CPU's are supported. Instead of testing a dozen CPU's, you can test one high end model and discover the wattage limits, and then look up the wattages of the various CPU's. Same information, far less work.
I don't care about watts, because they don't tell you what frequency CPU will be stable at, Voltage however - does.
At least to me "this cheap VRM can cope with 7950X up to 1.05V, and 7700X up to 1.2V", sounds more helpfull than "this cheap VRM will limit everything to 200W". You don't need to test dozen of CPUs, just test each die configuration once.
I simply think from stable performance perspective, vs. simple approach of "I don't care about performance, just limit to whatever, whenever needed".

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
That's something you can work out once you know the boards maximum VRM wattages anwyay

If a board can only handle 200W without throttling, you already have the answer to what CPU's are supported. Instead of testing a dozen CPU's, you can test one high end model and discover the wattage limits, and then look up the wattages of the various CPU's. Same information, far less work.

Why not? Motherboards don't add any performance - the only time a motherboard can be a performance detriment is this one situation of VRM's that cant handle stock

An A320 runs like an x570 with no performance change
(Random screencaps from youtube, first result when searching)
View attachment 261453
View attachment 261454

By that metric, it's absolutely worth knowing if a motherboard is going to hamper performance - if they say they support high end CPU's on a budget board, they better deliver
Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking down on budget chipsets. :) I used to have an Asus TUF A520M which is a brilliant board (all of the latest Asus TUF boards are good, in fact).

My point is the same as yours: if one wants to run a high-end CPU, then one had better make sure the VRM delivers. Bottom of the barrel boards tend to be quite bad in that regard.

This is a classic video on the topic despite the clickbait title:

Processor Intel i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4x16 GB (64GB) DDR4-3600 C18
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX500 500GB
Case Fractal Define C
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-550
Adding to VRM testing point :
In lower end or problematic motherboards reviews, I would love to see how much negative offset (-0.1V or -0.2V) on Vcore can help them cope with higher CPU models (if they are supported). Obviously with decresed max. turbo ratios by 100 - 400MHz when they unstable, or for "die quality lottery" margin to make everyone happy.

Last month I wanted to buy cheapest B660 full ATX MB, but there were simply no tests/reviews of them anywhere :(
I eventually picked Gigabyte's B660 DS3H DDR4 "open box" with discount.

As a side note, on Intel, when using default Adaptive voltages one should preferably not use offsets to tweak them. Adaptive voltage control works best with a different tuning knob called "AC Loadline" which increases voltage proportionally to current (in amps) into the CPU.

ir_cow

Staff member
From my experience low end MBs can do gaming just fine with any CPU. But if you do 3D Rending / Heavy Encoding, the vcore drops so low it auto restarts.

Overclocking is generally out of the question because it is either missing the settings or the MB cant sustain the requested voltage.

I really think AMD and Intel should be stricter on the rules for allowing top end cpu in budget MBs. It just makes them look bad when it doesn't work correctly. Like for example, the MSI B660M Mortar I reviewed had no overclocking features, which is fine (budget MB), but it couldn't handle the full load of a 12900K (stock).

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Your saying that because most use one nvme

2 here! One PCIe 3.0 and one PCIe 4.0.... :D

Got 5 M.2 slots total, so when I need more storage in the near future , it will be NVMe SSD's..

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Case Fractal Define C
I really think AMD and Intel should be stricter on the rules for allowing top end cpu in budget MBs. It just makes them look bad when it doesn't work correctly. Like for example, the MSI B660M Mortar I reviewed had no overclocking features, which is fine (budget MB), but it couldn't handle the full load of a 12900K (stock).

Not even by increasing what MSI calls "CPU Lite Load"? The "AC Loadline" voltage correction I mentioned above is behind that (setting control to "Advanced" makes it clearer).

Intel recommends by default to set it to the same impedance of the VRM, which should be 1.1 mOhm for 8-cores ADL Intel CPUs. A value this high is conservative and should prevent voltages from decreasing too much.

But if the motherboard has silly defaults and uses a higher VRM impedance (e.g. the 1.7 mOhm value intended for 6-core CPUs), then voltage will drop too much under load. VRM impedance would be otherwise adjusted by the LLC setting.

This is another possible reason why default motherboard settings need to be very carefully checked as they might not be actually "optimal" at all.

Last year I had a Gigabyte B560 motherboard which couldn't apparently handle full load with a 11700K at default settings, resulting in crashes. All it needed was a higher LLC setting and a higher AC Loadline than default.

1662998238812.png

The image above also shows inappropriate defaults: Power limits at 4096W and Current Limit essentially unlimited (512A). Excessively high limits, in particular current, can also cause instability.

The 12600K is supposed to have a 175A current limit and the 12900K a 280A current limit, and unlike power limits, these are not intended to be exceeded.

Last edited:

ir_cow

Staff member
Not even by increasing what MSI calls "CPU Lite Load"? The "AC Loadline" voltage correction I mentioned above is behind that (setting control to "Advanced" makes it clearer).
Hmm, its been a bit but if I remember correctly the solution to the problem was to actually max out the LLC and PWM. Maybe future BIOS updates resolved this, but Auto which 99% of users will leave it on could not handle a stock 12900K under full load. Works great with a 12600K though and that's what its being used with now.

Because I use a waterblock its on 4096W by default (auto settings).

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Case Fractal Define C
I agree that most end-users will use default settings, but that's in my opinion where reviewers could help. People generally assume that defaults are optimal or stable, but it's often not the case. Then, like bad hardware is often called out, bad BIOS settings should be called out too.

On a related note, on modern MSI boards, CPU Lite Load should become like this when set to "Advanced", exposing Loadline values more directly in hundredths of mOhm.

1663002015820.png

AC Loadline directly affects voltages (when using Adaptive CPU voltages), DC Loadline affects only the reported values. When DC Loadline has been set to the correct value (which depends on the LLC setting), CPU VID will match Vcore under all-core loads. This is also a way for finding out the impedance of the LLC setting used.

Maxing out LLC is generally not advised due to potentially damaging/destabilizing voltage over/undershoot during load transients that can only be observed with an oscilloscope, and decreased VRM efficiency.

The VRM PWM setting may or may not have negative effects; on my MSI Z690 A-Pro, setting it to the maximum of 677 kHz makes no difference whatsoever to temperatures or total system power consumption.

Last edited:
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
I agree that most end-users will use default settings, but that's in my opinion where reviewers could help. People generally assume that defaults are optimal or stable, but it's often not the case. Then, like bad hardware is often called out, bad BIOS settings should be called out too.
If an officially supported CPU doesn't work in a motherboard with default/auto settings, then it's a rubbish motherboard. The purpose behind custom settings is for enthusiasts to tweak stuff, not to make things work at all.

ir_cow

Staff member
If an officially supported CPU doesn't work in a motherboard with default/auto settings, then it's a rubbish motherboard. The purpose behind custom settings is for enthusiasts to tweak stuff, not to make things work at all.
I agree. Either the MB needs its auto settings tweaked or remove support for the CPUs that won't run on auto. I test everything on Auto, unless I can't complete the testing lol. That would have been a very short review. "Sorry no testing was done because I couldn't be bothered to manual change the settings".

Processor Intel Core i7-14700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H
Cooling DeepCool AK500 WH
Memory Crucial Pro 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5-5600 (CP2K16G56C46U5)
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 Limited Edition
Storage Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB / Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB / PNY CS3140 2TB
Display(s) Philips 32M1N5800A
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini (White)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Fanless Titanium 600W
Keyboard Dell KM714 Wireless
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Somethings that most reviews don't have and are nice to know about a motherboard.

1. Boot Sequence
- From Cold Boot to BIOS/UEFI settings
- Cold Boot to OS
2. Onboard Audio in comparison to best in class add on audio cards/adapter
3. Display outs capability
4. USB Port functionality (How many share the bandwidth/which ones have the full bandwidth without sharing with other ports)

I will add more...

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Case Fractal Define C

In my opinion motherboard defaults should strictly set Intel (or AMD)-recommended limits and settings, but it's almost never the case. Furthermore, in some cases motherboards don't even make it simple to configure "true" default settings.

For instance, at first boot, recent MSI Intel motherboards present a choice for setting power and current limits depending on the installed CPU cooler, which probably @ir_cow also observed for the MSI B660 review. In my case, the base/minimum choice ("Boxed cooler") set PL1=PL2=241W. But my 12700K is supposed to have PL1=125W, PL2=190W, Tau=56s by default...

Also on the Gigabyte Aorus B560 Pro AX I previously had, motherboard defaults were "no power limits", which coupled to insufficient default voltage/excessively drooping voltage, made for unstable operation at high loads. It had an option for applying Intel-recommended limits, but these were partially incorrect (with PL2=PL1*1.25, which is the hardware default, not the recommended value) and under a cryptic name ("Turbo Power Limits: POR").

In general, my recent experience with default settings with middle-range motherboards has not been good. It's not that the products themselves were defective or lacking in the hardware, but less experienced users may easily think so if they encounter similar issues. Many people also often complain about the high power consumption of modern systems. Default motherboard settings are to blame for this.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
In my opinion motherboard defaults should strictly set Intel (or AMD)-recommended limits and settings, but it's almost never the case. Furthermore, in some cases motherboards don't even make it simple to configure "true" default settings.

For instance, at first boot, recent MSI Intel motherboards present a choice for setting power and current limits depending on the installed CPU cooler, which probably @ir_cow also observed for the MSI B660 review. In my case, the base/minimum choice ("Boxed cooler") set PL1=PL2=241W. But my 12700K is supposed to have PL1=125W, PL2=190W, Tau=56s by default...

Also on the Gigabyte Aorus B560 Pro AX I previously had, motherboard defaults were "no power limits", which coupled to insufficient default voltage/excessively drooping voltage, made for unstable operation at high loads. It had an option for applying Intel-recommended limits, but these were partially incorrect (with PL2=PL1*1.25, which is the hardware default, not the recommended value) and under a cryptic name ("Turbo Power Limits: POR").

In general, my recent experience with default settings with middle-range motherboards has not been good. It's not that the products themselves were defective or lacking in the hardware, but less experienced users may easily think so if they encounter similar issues. Many people also often complain about the high power consumption of modern systems. Default motherboard settings are to blame for this.
Well that's why they're all labelled Auto not default in the bios, so the AIB can mildly OC your part and claim they're boards the best.

Some don't even have a default option, just auto(NOT default) , Xmp or manual.

This is a generalized statement that's true of every recent board I have seen.

And I agree, it's not good and Should be stopped.

Software Windows 10 Pro

I tend to avoid Gigabyte products, to be honest. Their BIOSes are cryptic, and the general quality is not there where it should be (at least it wasn't the last time I had something from them).

MSI is generally OK quality-wise, but I find them lacking on the BIOS front (cooler choice for TDP? Come on)...

ASUS is the best all around, in my opinion. Their quality is good, the BIOS has all the right labels and defaults to Intel / AMD recommendations (at least the ones I've had so far do). I wouldn't have anything else in this day and age - and that's not brand loyalism, just it's only ASUS that offers the quality and features that all mid-range and high-end motherboards should.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I don't care about watts, because they don't tell you what frequency CPU will be stable at, Voltage however - does.
At least to me "this cheap VRM can cope with 7950X up to 1.05V, and 7700X up to 1.2V", sounds more helpfull than "this cheap VRM will limit everything to 200W". You don't need to test dozen of CPUs, just test each die configuration once.
I simply think from stable performance perspective, vs. simple approach of "I don't care about performance, just limit to whatever, whenever needed".
wattage is something that applies to any CPU used in the board.

voltage is worthless since no two boards ever agree on them, with all the Vdroop and LLC settings out there and different autos between boards, let alone the differences that pop up between VID and voltages... it's utterly meaningless.

If you know a board can do 200W on AM4, you know it can handle literally any CPU at stock since none pass 142W - and that you can overclock a 5900x or 5950x to that 200W limit.

Same goes for intel, if you know the CPU's need 250W to sustain 5.2GHz, why care what voltage shows up? It's an average of an estimated software reading, and every single CPU will be different anway

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I tend to avoid Gigabyte products, to be honest. Their BIOSes are cryptic, and the general quality is not there where it should be (at least it wasn't the last time I had something from them).

MSI is generally OK quality-wise, but I find them lacking on the BIOS front (cooler choice for TDP? Come on)...

ASUS is the best all around, in my opinion. Their quality is good, the BIOS has all the right labels and defaults to Intel / AMD recommendations (at least the ones I've had so far do). I wouldn't have anything else in this day and age - and that's not brand loyalism, just it's only ASUS that offers the quality and features that all mid-range and high-end motherboards should.
I disagree on Asus following CPU specs on board's, they use Auto as a Smoke screen of BS, not all have a default option in the list even and they love upping the CPU voltage.

Though if you know this they are, to me still the best board maker.

System Name BOX
Processor Core i7 6950X @ 4,26GHz (1,28V)
Motherboard X99 SOC Champion (BIOS F23c + bifurcation mod)
Cooling Thermalright Venomous-X + 2x Delta 38mm PWM (Push-Pull)
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 4x8GB (@3240MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @ 1,48V)
Video Card(s) Titan V (~1650MHz @ 0.77V, HBM2 1GHz, Forced P2 state [OFF])
Storage WD SN850X 2TB + Samsung EVO 2TB (SATA) + Seagate Exos X20 20TB (4Kn mode)
Display(s) LG 27GP950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Motu M4 (audio interface) + ATH-A900Z + Behringer C-1
Power Supply Seasonic X-760 (760W)
Mouse Logitech RX-250
Keyboard HP KB-9970
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
wattage is something that applies to any CPU used in the board.

voltage is worthless since no two boards ever agree on them, with all the Vdroop and LLC settings out there and different autos between boards, let alone the differences that pop up between VID and voltages... it's utterly meaningless.

If you know a board can do 200W on AM4, you know it can handle literally any CPU at stock since none pass 142W - and that you can overclock a 5900x or 5950x to that 200W limit.

Same goes for intel, if you know the CPU's need 250W to sustain 5.2GHz, why care what voltage shows up? It's an average of an estimated software reading, and every single CPU will be different anway
Since CPU Watts are made from Volts supplied by MB's VRM, then that means when CPU Voltage isn't stable, watts also can't be stable.

Q : How do you know you can sustain 250W at 5.2GHz accross different boards, when voltage differences between boards are too big for it to be meaningfull ?

Software Windows 10 Pro
I disagree on Asus following CPU specs on board's, they use Auto as a Smoke screen of BS, not all have a default option in the list even and they love upping the CPU voltage.

Though if you know this they are, to me still the best board maker.
My TUF B560M Wifi uses Intel-defined power limits as Auto (65 W PL1 and 228 W PL2 with 28 s Tau on my 11700). I don't know about voltage, but it is so dynamic nowadays that I find it best not to touch it.

Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Case Fractal Define C
My TUF B560M Wifi uses Intel-defined power limits as Auto (65 W PL1 and 228 W PL2 with 28 s Tau on my 11700). I don't know about voltage, but it is so dynamic nowadays that I find it best not to touch it.

Dynamic voltage control on Intel is not as sophisticated as it seems, unfortunately.

As for recent ASUS motherboards, they have an easily-accessible "SVID behavior" configuration option. Behnd the scenes, this adjusts the "AC Loadline" voltage correction I mentioned earlier according to various presets. As far as I am aware of, "Best-Case Scenario" sets 0.01 mOhm (no voltage correction; the CPU can end up being unstable), "Intel's Fail-Safe" sets 1.1 mOhm (assuming an 8 p-core CPU and default LLC; can end up overvolting the CPU especially if the LLC setting has been changed). See attached screenshots.

In theory, a value of 1.1 mOhm implies that the preprogrammed base voltage-frequency curve is corrected up by 1.1 mV for each A of current into the CPU. So, if the VRM had the same impedance (that is, caused voltage to drop with current by the same amount), voltage would remain constant for a certain frequency no matter the load. In practice, things might not work so well.

That value should also be able to be more directly configured in advanced options elsewhere.

Attachments

• 1663326379072.png
    1663326379072.png
    463.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 1663327006493.png
    1663327006493.png
    252.8 KB · Views: 52

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Well,seeing as I was currently shopping for a new board. Fan headers and placement. I need front headers for my intake fans and my pump.
if you look at my current specs my board has 3 headers on the front of the board it had a total of 6. I almost bought a used Aorus Elite that had ZERO on the front and a total of 4 thats including the 2 CPU headers.
i had to totally step into unknown territory and settled on an MSI board because X570 boards are getting hard to find and I’m just desperate to get back up and running.Thankfully this new board will totally meet my needs and pretty Sh1t Hot board to boot.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Since CPU Watts are made from Volts supplied by MB's VRM, then that means when CPU Voltage isn't stable, watts also can't be stable.

Q : How do you know you can sustain 250W at 5.2GHz accross different boards, when voltage differences between boards are too big for it to be meaningfull ?
Because stock voltages are always excessive for this exact reason

You're truly missing the point of how useless voltages comparisons would be, not a single person would be able to benefit from that time intensive testing, except the person who owns that EXACT CPU - not the same model or series, but THAT one single CPU.

Reviewer would need a golden sample, cherry picked to get any good results... and they'd be useless. Or they'd get a dud, and again... useless.

ir_cow

Staff member

A: As @Mussels pointed out you can't compare with cpu voltage since no one CPU is the same. That extends to cpu freq. A work around to that is to set the voltage to a static value. Raise the freq until the desired wattage. Combine both togther and you have a VRM test which encompass all types of CPU loads. A "worst case" if you will for normal CPU use.

Last edited: