• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are you playing?

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
You mean emulation?
http://www.magicengine.com/ Still the best, perfectly stable even in Win10 and worth the price. There is also Ootake, which is a free Japanese EMU and has english menu options. Also perfectly stable and run in Win10.
If you're willing to consider an Android solution there is a wonderful emu by Robert Broglia on Google Play; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.PceEmu&hl=en_US
An NVidia Shield is a perfect system for EMU in general. https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Shield-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B075RXV2VR
If that's a bit too pricey; https://www.amazon.com/Android-Amlogic-Bluetooth-Playing-64bits/dp/B07C7DZD9X This will also do any 8/16 bit era emu perfectly. It will also do 32/64bit era emu very well. The Shield is the king of emu ATM though.

Well, the website is horrible to navigate and or obtain information, so that is a massive minus point to it. Which makes me question the value of the $30USD for the emulator. I would give it a try, but I doubt I would purchase it. Not worth it imo unless I have no other option for Trubogfx.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
YES!

And even though it's been almost 2 years since then, coming back to the game now is the same. 50 updates later and they only improved balanced loot, hit boxes, matching up, server ping stability, visual glitches, bot A.I. etc - the usual. Game is exactly the same. Pay close attention to this man.

However as I mentioned before, personal taste is everything. If Sakura Swim Club is your best game ever, immersing yourself with hours of gameplay - than perfect for you. Games are too be loved and played....including the Sakura series

Well, it goes to show Angry Joe can't review games for shit, because Division got major expansions with a crapload of endgame content. You're saying that the game should be fundamentally different in concept because it received 50 updates. That's like saying Diablo 3 should've become Call of Duty after two expansions. In fact, apart from balance, the game has gained fantastic itemization over time, exactly what it needed to keep the end game interesting. Almost every gear set is viable now and there are several other options too (such as running a full exotic or hybrid exotic 'hexo' setup). Weapons are balanced and yet still have different uses, a very hard balancing trick that took many tries to get right (seen em all...).

This game was never just a coverbased shooter, its a coverbased RPG with guns. With ditto progression and stat mechanics. There is no trigger finger required in The Division, in fact, most skills are quite slow to use. This game is not paced like a Ghost Recon Wildlands either. You don't need superb aim and there is no sandbox. Missions are linear, with lots of triggered events.

What you need is a well balanced team setup for the hardest missions, with good timing and placement of skills, a min-maxed gear setup and knowledge of each mission you play and the enemy types you encounter. Good use of consumables and grenades. That is what the Division is about. When you play endgame right with a good team, none of the enemies really feel like bullet sponges - they go down quickly and effectively. If you have to sit there behind cover shooting at an NPC for two minutes, you're undergeared or lack the right setup. Most of my gameplay is spent running cover to cover and mowing down enemies along the way, with a grenade here or there for good measure. Or I pick up a D3 FNC set with a shield and go straight up melee.

Two things I don't like about Division:
1) Game feels soulless/grindy. DAI/MEA/FC4/FCP/general MMO kind of grind. World is kind of empty and stale with fodder in the way. Missions and main story are forgettable. It's a whole lot of "meh."
2) Gameplay is fundamentally a cover shooter and the damage system is arcade (one sniper headshot won't kill unless they're leveled well below you). The latter is a deal breaker for me. If you take the time to line up a headshot, the game should reward you in kind. They don't even stagger.

I'm told Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands is a much better game but I haven't played it yet (and they keep releasing more content for it so it's gonna be a while yet).

I'm still regrettably playing Primal. I must be a masochist. :C

The game is a grindy game and was always presented as one, not sure what you had in your mind going into it. The whole premise of The Division was PVP in the Dark Zone, which has the core concept of hauling loot to extract out of there. And it also offered PVE, with a simple campaign, yes. But PVP was the bread and butter. Over time, it appeared the PVE part of the game landed a lot better and thus was expanded, but to suddenly expect that to offer a deep narrative is rather strange IMO. The whole setting is just there for immersion, not so much a gripping story. And I do think it nails the immersion... the city really has a distinct atmosphere to it that sets the tone nicely.

The game does reward headshots by the way, but under max level the difference isn't that noticeable. Once you can gear and improve the power of headshots and get reliable crit chances, the game gets a lot more flexible with builds and how quickly you can down enemies. Weapons like sniper rifles also have a much higher headshot bonus. While levelling, however, the use of grenades and skills is very similar to endgame in effectiveness. The gunplay, while arcadey, is very fine grained in terms of recoil and other characteristics of weapons. Things like burst fire and how your reticle responds to movement and shooting introduce a decent level of skillbased gameplay.

As for the soul of the game - again, you can only truly find that in the Dark Zone. Clearing a few NPCs for some loot, having to carry it to an extraction point, waiting for the heli to arrive which creates a blip on the map for everyone to see 'hey look, someone with full bags waiting to get shot at'... and then the high-intensity standoffs waiting to see which team makes a move and turns Rogue, usually followed by a chase through buildings and alleys. Or, playing the agressor yourself and getting hunted by 2-3 other parties who can also turn on each other, great fun. Thát is where the soul of this game comes out - and not in the dull comfort zone of single player exploration. (Although even a single player can go into the DZ and play stealthy).

If you go into The Division for the single player or an open-world experience a'la Wildlands, you didn't get it ;)

As for Wildlands, its a completely different concept that is equally stale and grindy once you've played a dozen hours and the novelty wears off. But Wildlands lacks the endgame and progression. What it offers is the tactical / sandboxy aspects which are fun to play around with.

Both are pretty decent games overall, but it seems very important to understand each game's concept before drawing conclusions :)

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I've made at least a dozen level 60+ characters and I'm still discovering little things. I like building up new characters and trying different builds.

Yeah well it's an RPG. That's the point. :p Which incidentally was the downside of Fallout NV: you could actually max out characters, and did so by level 60. Is that the case with Fallout 4 as well.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Yeah well it's an RPG. That's the point. :p Which incidentally was the downside of Fallout NV: you could actually max out characters, and did so by level 60. Is that the case with Fallout 4 as well.

Same deal more or less. The cap isn't the same, but the result is eventually the same. But I find the fun with different character concepts (you just have to gimp yourself to make it really work though. Pretty easy to eventually become a badass jack of all trades).

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Same deal more or less. But I find the fun with different character concepts (you tend to have to gimp yourself to make it really work though. Pretty easy to become a badass jack of all trades eventually).

That is how I always played Skyrim too (and Oblivion, and Morrowind)... get a specific character in my head, build it up, and roam around for adventure. The roaming never took long though, before I went into building something new :D Or respeccing.

System Name Dell Dimension P120
Processor Intel Pentium 120 MHz 60Mhz FSB
Motherboard Dell Pentium
Memory 24 MB EDO
Video Card(s) Matrox Millennium 2MB
Storage 1 GB EIDE HDD
Display(s) Dell 15 inch crt
Case Dell Dimension
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster
Mouse Microsoft mouse, no scroll wheel
Keyboard Dell 1995
Software Windows 95 + Office 95

you can cap the level of your character in both FVN and FO4
my FO4 is currently capped at lvl 95 and with mods that add much thougher legendary enemies and normal enemies

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
That is how I always played Skyrim too (and Oblivion, and Morrowind)... get a specific character in my head, build it up, and roam around for adventure. The roaming never took long though, before I went into building something new :D Or respeccing.

That is literally the point of RPGs. If you have to impose restrictions on yourself because the game doesn't cater well to different characters it has failed.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
That is literally the point of RPGs. If you have to impose restrictions on yourself because the game doesn't cater well to different characters it has failed.

Well, most RPGs are class based (digital or not), so it's a bit easier to automatically do that. Skill based ones seem difficult to balance.

edit: Not to mention most are party based as well.

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
What you need is a well balanced team setup for the hardest missions, with good timing and placement of skills, a min-maxed gear setup and knowledge of each mission you play and the enemy types you encounter. Good use of consumables and grenades. That is what the Division is about. When you play endgame right with a good team, none of the enemies really feel like bullet sponges - they go down quickly and effectively. If you have to sit there behind cover shooting at an NPC for two minutes, you're undergeared or lack the right setup. Most of my gameplay is spent running cover to cover and mowing down enemies along the way, with a grenade here or there for good measure. Or I pick up a D3 FNC set with a shield and go straight up melee.
I'm playing the single player missions only and yes, I realise it's an RPG with team based elements. But I do enjoy the mechanics and the challenge.
A question? Is it possible to recruit NPCs to assist me, or do they have to be real online players? If I hit G for matchmaking, I don't find anyone. It could be that I don't have any friends though, of course :confused:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Wish the mechanics were consistent with Lara's moves - I've been stuck in spots simply because the game has already taught me that I shouldn't be able to do the thing that it actually wants me to do this time -
Yeah, Lara has the tendency to leap to her death, in a completely different direction than I told her to go!

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I'm playing the single player missions only and yes, I realise it's an RPG with team based elements. But I do enjoy the mechanics and the challenge.
A question? Is it possible to recruit NPCs to assist me, or do they have to be real online players? If I hit G for matchmaking, I don't find anyone. It could be that I don't have any friends though, of course :confused:

No, you can't have NPC assistance. The problem is that the community has well advanced beyond the regular missions, everyone is playing on higher difficulty versions of them right now.

The best thing you can do is get max level in the city through roaming and doing open world events. Then gear up a bit and do higher difficulties. You can do the missions too, but I'd recommend doing them when you have a high level or good gear, it makes them easy to solo.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling be quiet dark rock pro 3
Memory GSKill Aegis 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7800 XT Hellhound 16GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 1TB , HyperX Savage 240GB SATA 3
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply Seasonic prime TX-650
Mouse Marvo Scorpion G981
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite - Yellow Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro
1111.jpg

dsdxx.jpg

From spartan to Pocahontas

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
it isn't. it's a huge,beautiful open world filled with a thousand three minute missions that you'd think is the same one over and over.

That was my impression after playing the free demo. Looks great but lacks soul. Just go from place to place shooting people. Yipee... The Division at least had some soul to it and the coop was very fun. I hope Division 2 keeps the best elements and improves on some of its failings.

Well, the website is horrible to navigate and or obtain information, so that is a massive minus point to it. Which makes me question the value of the $30USD for the emulator. I would give it a try, but I doubt I would purchase it. Not worth it imo unless I have no other option for Trubogfx.
? It's only $20. Trust me, it's worth it, give the trial a try.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Yeah, Lara has the tendency to leap to her death, in a completely different direction than I told her to go!
Yeah, I was surprised how good Thief IV was in that regard. He literally never does that. Even Styx never really does that. It's almost uniquely Tomb Raider, especially since Rise of the Tomb Raider that it happens. I think the reason is that control action is based on camera facing rather than explicitly the surface she is hanging on to so if the perspective pivots for whatever reason, instead of forward being hold on to wall, forward means jump that way (to death). It's really sloppy and one of the reasons I'm still not a fan of the Tomb Raider reboot trilogy.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
Good morning starshine
And goodnight

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Picked up Frostpunk.

Very cool game

Frostpunk_2018_12_13_22_14_59_165.jpg

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
No, you can't have NPC assistance. The problem is that the community has well advanced beyond the regular missions, everyone is playing on higher difficulty versions of them right now.

The best thing you can do is get max level in the city through roaming and doing open world events. Then gear up a bit and do higher difficulties. You can do the missions too, but I'd recommend doing them when you have a high level or good gear, it makes them easy to solo.
Thanks for those tips, very handy.
I've reached level 7, but I need to get higher to take on some of these missions. I've done a few main missions and plenty of side missions. The subway morgue for example is quite challenging and I've died more times than you could shake a stick at.
Still, it's great fun and quite satisfying when they set themselves on fire.
division-fire.jpg

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
If memory serves, you can look at the map to find out what areas are what level. Focus on the areas that are at or below your level. If you head to an area that is beyond your level, you're in for a world of hurt unless you have someone higher level to carry you through it.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yeah, I was surprised how good Thief IV was in that regard. He literally never does that. Even Styx never really does that. It's almost uniquely Tomb Raider, especially since Rise of the Tomb Raider that it happens. I think the reason is that control action is based on camera facing rather than explicitly the surface she is hanging on to so if the perspective pivots for whatever reason, instead of forward being hold on to wall, forward means jump that way (to death). It's really sloppy and one of the reasons I'm still not a fan of the Tomb Raider reboot trilogy.

"Plunging towards death because of poor controls" summarizes every single Tomb Raider game iirc.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
"Plunging towards death because of poor controls" summarizes every single Tomb Raider game iirc.
I only ever had problems with the movement controls when swinging on walls (2013 games onwards). I always found this very clunky indeed.
The rest? Perfectly fine.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling be quiet dark rock pro 3
Memory GSKill Aegis 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7800 XT Hellhound 16GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 1TB , HyperX Savage 240GB SATA 3
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply Seasonic prime TX-650
Mouse Marvo Scorpion G981
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite - Yellow Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro
@Vayra86 and hard

bear.jpg

I have a bear...not easy to get the little guy

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64