• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are you playing?

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE

So far, the malware has been found in more than a dozen countries, including:
  • Philippines: 18,448 victims
  • Brazil: 16,584 victims
  • India: 13,779 victims
  • Poland: 12,727 victims
  • United States: 11,856 victims
  • United Kingdom: 8,946 victims

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Bought the expansions for The Outer Worlds and started a new game at the highest difficulty. We'll see how it goes, but it's really annoying how no one has made something that was as balanced as Hardcore mode for Fallout New Vegas. I am onboard with making the enemies in Outer Worlds more dangerous as that was a pretty big drawback when playing on normal, and the eating/sleeping/drinking need is not extreme but what really bugs me is the addition of making it harder to save games and disabling fast travel. Most games that has a "survival" mode goes way too far, because the game itself isn't really made for it. It always feels like it is something they slapped on at the end of the process. Like in Fallout 4. The game is still stupid and silly but the survival mode just makes it annoying. Skyrim is a great example of a game where a survival mode would have made sense but it didn't have it and while you can do it with mods mods are never a good solution for anything.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I never got araound to the last two expansions for The Outer Worlds so thanks to @Frick and me being between games I’m starting those.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts is quite unforgiving, especially since the enemy's aim 100% surgical and I wouldn't like to be on the end of this one!
SGWContracts 2021-06-25 18-45 (Medium).jpg

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Alright, I had forgotten just how edgy, sarcastic and filled with dark humor the dialog in The Outer Worlds is. For me it’s the best part of the game. Rediscovering it now as I explore Gorgon.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Trying out Control, and a few minutes in I'm already annoyed at two things:

1. Collectibles, in this case documents you can read. I'm pretty sick of the concept. If you're making a game with a story, present the story to me. Don't make me go hunting for clues, and don't tell me what I've missed. And if you have them in the game, don't call them Collectibles. Call them notes or something. They work well in Deus Ex, but don't make it into a game. Make me want to read them and make them meaningful, and perhaps most importantly do not litter them game with them. Use your writers on the actual story and dialouge, don't waste it on a million random notes. And if not meaningful, at least make them interesting. Again Deus Ex is a good example. The snippets from random books didn't add anything meaningful really, but it did add a ton of flavour to the game, and they were rare enough so that I actually liked finding new ones to read. A few minutes into Control and I have like 5 bits of internal correspondance, none of which is interesting.
2. When did it become a thing that all buttons have to be held before they actually do something and there's that circle around the icons that tell you when the key is actually done being pressed? And please allow me to turn that off.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Trying out Control, and a few minutes in I'm already annoyed at two things:

1. Collectibles, in this case documents you can read. I'm pretty sick of the concept. If you're making a game with a story, present the story to me. Don't make me go hunting for clues, and don't tell me what I've missed. And if you have them in the game, don't call them Collectibles. Call them notes or something. They work well in Deus Ex, but don't make it into a game. Make me want to read them and make them meaningful, and perhaps most importantly do not litter them game with them. Use your writers on the actual story and dialouge, don't waste it on a million random notes. And if not meaningful, at least make them interesting. Again Deus Ex is a good example. The snippets from random books didn't add anything meaningful really, but it did add a ton of flavour to the game, and they were rare enough so that I actually liked finding new ones to read. A few minutes into Control and I have like 5 bits of internal correspondance, none of which is interesting.
2. When did it become a thing that all buttons have to be held before they actually do something and there's that circle around the icons that tell you when the key is actually done being pressed? And please allow me to turn that off.
Okay... number two. YES. Agree, so hard. It breaks flow completely. And you lose the little satisfaction hit of pressing the thing.

Split on the first, especially with Control. Honestly, it's fine to me. The navigation just sucks. Make them quick and easy to read/find. The current system makes it easy to 'lose' them in the sea of just... stuff. And the slowdown that has to happen for each one is tiresome. Yeah. The menus are a mess, and having tons of story items really makes that a big problem when it comes to flow.

However, the way Control's story is written, I can't think of another way to portray these things. It's just too much. It's the kind of story that needs a detective's mindset. The notes don't hand you much of anything, but they do contain a lot of story, and the information within them drastically changes how you see what is shown instead of told. It's actually worth going back over them from time to time. You can piece things together across all of them too. Like... big things. It's a part of the whole game experience. I hate when this stuff is done lazily, but in this case many of them are purposeful. It's just not immediately obvious. This goes into the world, too. The game is packed full of easter eggs and all sorts of clues throughout the environments, which also get called back to in the notes and vice versa. It's all very intertwined. The flavor ones are probably in s light minority. Most are there to add something that would be difficult to depict in a smooth way. If you take sifting through them as part of it, use your imagination a bit, then there's a lot going on with them.

The combat is really fast-paced. But outside of that, the game rewards the slow, methodical approach. You're playing a character who's trying to figure out what's going on with this organization. Her whole life, she's been searching. Tell yourself everything you can learn is useful to understanding more, and it usually is. It's just a matter of having the right pieces in front of you. Surprisingly little in those things is truly arbitrary when you get down to it.

I personally love the writing in them. It really does a lot for the game's universe. It almost hearkens back a bit to the way interactive storytelling was done in the days of early 2d adventure games that were mostly text with hand-set pixel art. The difference is now, you do really get an eyeful of the world in the text, and a lot of interaction with it. The stuff you read in all of the collectibles is meant to live in your head as you explore that world. I think it works for Control. I don't get the feeling that they did it just to do it, like I would with say, modern fallout. It's all really tight, consistently adding to a core that actually is not nascent. That it seems to be is part of the brilliance imo. You'll understand if you play through it more.

I'll put it this way. You can ignore that stuff, play the game, and have a full game and story experience. But in addition to that is the level of worldbuilding you usually only get in books. They really understand how to infer, and use it well to pack a lot of depth into their big picture. More than would fit in a typical game narrative. It's all part of a running narrative with their whole universe... or several that more than intersect. Something truly epic. Not cool, but actually epic. Pretty thoughtful, compared to the level of attention you get to notes in other games.

Incidentally, I am playing Fallout. :p
I was going to attempt Fort Hagan at level 9, but when I got there, it looked like this.
Fallout4 2021-06-26 17-46-01.jpg
Fallout4 2021-06-26 17-45-51.jpg

The first rad flash took roughly a fifth of my health bar instantly. And then the turrets started wrecking me, and I was having trouble hitting them hard enough. So I decided maybe it wasn't my day and went to hang out with the mole rats over in Vault 81. And then maybe I can come down from the mountain with my new Overseer's Guardian. You can go there and buy it for cheap. It's a combat rifle with the two-shot legendary perk... essentially making it one of the best weapons for almost the whole game. You'll be into the 50s at least, before it stops being good. You can really make it boring with that thing, right from the start, if you want. Just a lot of damage and range with plentiful ammo. Take it anywhere and clean up any which way you wanna use it.

Will be handy until I unlock the next upgrade tier, which takes quite a while. Even at level 9, I could play for a couple hours to get level 10. Level 2 weapon mods come at 13. In the middle of the fresh side of the curve, it tightens and you progress a little more. But after that it slows down even more than before. You have to live with different weapons for longer. I did it that way because I found that many weapons... and even classes in the game just age out in a matter of a few levels. You don't get to use them much. And then you hit that late-game wall where it's narrowed down to a few options that all lead to drawn out, spongey combat. You're a sponge, they're a sponge, weapons are never, ever getting stronger... nobody gains firepower... only hp and maybe defense... forever. Better to stretch things as far out of that range as possible. There's too much content for the vanilla pace. Beyond too much. Past a certain point, you can keep leveling and getting perks, but progress-wise it is no-man's-land. There's no meaning to it for your character because in combat, nothing ever changes. None of the fights are exciting. It's what you avoid using... the majority of the vanilla weapons at any point earlier in the game for. Because when you do, it's like getting a cat through a full bath. It's always funneling you. You can choose a lot of things but in reality only a few options are viable. So as you progress, you slip into this or that thing that actually friggin works until you run out of ways to advance offenses. And then that thing you've been avoiding is just the game.

At least this way, not only do I have the time to explore everything and anything, but it becomes worth it to do so. See... there's an extra incentive to find modded weapons when you can't quickly level into making weapon upgrades. Occasionally, they drop high-level mods that make them more usable than they could ever be, outclassing technically superior weapons with appropriate mods for your level. It's also nice to know I can stop and go anywhere to see if there's anything interesting and collect the loot, without advancing my character to another major turning point too soon in the game. I add another bonus... all of the steamer trunks contain legendaries and I upped the odds of legendary enemies. Changed the drop pool so they favor ballistic weapons... I swear to you, it's all shitty melee stuff if you leave it be. So every location gives me at least one roll on a legendary. Surprisingly, even finding what has to be 5 times more legendaries overall, most of them still aren't worth using. Either a gun I don't like, bad match, or just one of the weaker perks. In a whole playthrough, going through all of the DLC and exploring quite a lot on the side, I may get 8 legendary weapons that are worth it. Mind you, that adds up to entire days and days worth of actual play time. It's crazy how cruel the odds are by default. Sniffing out holographic Pokemon cards is a better use of your time. Faster than finding a good legendary weapon in Fallout 4. That might realistically not happen for you in 3 full playthroughs of the game. I think they forgot this wasn't an MMO with a few hundred thousand players and an economy to control. I have to assume that's what they were thinking about because otherwise the good legendaries are so off of the beaten path that they almost don't exist. Nobody's farming these things and selling them for cash or anything, so you can't get them :laugh:

Again, it all keeps me exploring different places and using different stuff throughout everything the game has to do in it. It's great. I'm finding so much that I've never seen before in the game. I thought I knew the bulk of it by now, but the nooks and crannies really are endless. It's one of the great things about this game. A huge environment packed with places and interesting little details... that nobody will ever see and the game will ultimately start pushing you past. It loses the momentum that would put the player in them. I've been trying to unlock more of that.

I pair it with higher-stakes combat. Weapons and monsters do more damage. The right weapon can always be a quick kill for you, if you're good with it. But your enemies can kill you quickly in the open, and your vision gets muddled every time you're hit. You will not be fighting while getting hit. I like this a lot better. There is tension, no more running in (and if DO you see a window for that and succeed, it means something and feels good,) and varied tactics are better rewarded. Preparation means more. I have the full armor system overhaul, which opens up customization immensely. You can make and use all sorts of different armor, work in different advantages. And boost your armor rating way up. Early if you want, but you'd have to stop and grind quite a lot. The way I play, I'm always needing to work to up it a little more. And I change it around regularly.

All sorts of stuff I'd still like to play with when it comes to the balancing. I've mixed some mods together, changed around a lot of parameters, but never went into a full overhaul... like enemy-by-enemy. It's mostly brute-force, global changes. Finding a better concept and seeing how it goes... what works with each weapon. With real fine tuning, I might never use VATS. Don't get me wrong, VATS was a rare good original thing they came up with. Like, that was kinda revolutionary. It was a great way to bring that part of the OG mechanics in. It's fun and they give it some nice spice with perks. It's just that they started balancing the games to favor VATS heavily, even with a perfectly fine, new shooting platform. And VATS itself doesn't have much depth. Even less when they lightened-up the RPG mechanics. I want to emphasize the shooting part, use the interesting and unique weapons. Stay in the game environment as much as possible, and out of menus like VATS. That's why I run a mod that makes the magazine perks apply to non-VATS instead (most of them are VATS only! WTF?) Fallout 4 is significantly less of an RPG that past titles, and yet the main way it wants you to fight is more RPG than anything else in the game. It's a waste. And it gets beyond repetitive. I feel like it's better suited to be a real-time game. The RPG mechanics remaining are slim pickins, but there's a good bit more in the physics and combat. Why didn't the push more in that direction given all of the elements they changed with stats and weapons?

Last edited:
System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
I finished Dragon Quest XI a couple weeks ago and that really scratched my JRPG itch. Really good game. I hope SE ports DQ XIII to the PC as well, since I never got around to finishing that one.

Today I finished Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and that was better than I expected. I was a little apprehensive about the combat, since I heard it was souls inspired and souls combat isn't really my jam, but it was pretty acessible in normal difficulty. I wouldn't mind a sequel, especially if it lets you play as Merrin as well. I think that could be interesting.

Not really sure what to go for next, but probably something older because it's hot and the PC gets loud when pushed harder. With the current sales I'm kinda tempted to buy either Final Fantasy X/X-2 or the first two Final Fantasy XIII games. X is the first FF I played and one of my favorites. I beat it twice on PS2 but I never managed to get all the ultimate weapons (screw Tidus and his chocobo nonsense) and I'm curious to know what happens in the sequel, story wise.
As for FF XIII, I played the first game on PS3 and while it was no X, I enjoyed it so I'm curious about how the story develops as well.

Any advice, Final Fantasy fans?

I finished Dragon Quest XI a couple weeks ago and that really scratched my JRPG itch. Really good game. I hope SE ports DQ XIII to the PC as well, since I never got around to finishing that one.

Today I finished Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and that was better than I expected. I was a little apprehensive about the combat, since I heard it was souls inspired and souls combat isn't really my jam, but it was pretty acessible in normal difficulty. I wouldn't mind a sequel, especially if it lets you play as Merrin as well. I think that could be interesting.

Not really sure what to go for next, but probably something older because it's hot and the PC gets loud when pushed harder. With the current sales I'm kinda tempted to buy either Final Fantasy X/X-2 or the first two Final Fantasy XIII games. X is the first FF I played and one of my favorites. I beat it twice on PS2 but I never managed to get all the ultimate weapons (screw Tidus and his chocobo nonsense) and I'm curious to know what happens in the sequel, story wise.
As for FF XIII, I played the first game on PS3 and while it was no X, I enjoyed it so I'm curious about how the story develops as well.

Any advice, Final Fantasy fans?
Final Fantasy 9 was the best offering on Playstation, regardless of the fanfare 7 got. Now the remake of 7, that's different. It is most excellent! However, Final Fantasy 6(3 USA & Europe SNES) is by far my favorite to this day. Nothing has eclipsed it as of yet IMHO.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Software Windows 10 Pro
More FO4.
Fallout4 2021-06-27 16-48-11.jpg
Fallout4 2021-06-27 16-45-50.jpg

Don't get too many "pretty" days. Even those still look a little toxic. I'm very tactical with my color choices. It's basically all about the colors for me. It's the main thing that bothers the hell out of me with every weather mod and ENB. I don't know what it is. They all manage to work in colors I hate completely because they don't mesh with anything.

I still prefer the icky, poisonous climates. Something a bit more inspired by FO3's pseudo-monochromatic drabness, only with 500% less mountain dew green. Dead and radioactive. The soundtrack really goes great with this vibe. It's such an overlooked thing, but FO4 has a great soundtrack. It really sounds excellent with headphones, cementing the atmosphere. You'll notice there's always at least some haze. I find it closes things in a bit, but yet adds a sense of scale. You have that sense of a 'beyond' in the fog. Also hiding lods, where grasslines drop, and basically where there's already significant detail loss. No sense in trying to improve that zone. That's why for a long time everyone tried to put trees everywhere... to never see that visual deadzone. Better to have silhouettes and let imagination fill in the blanks. It's less realistic, and yet has better plausibility. It makes more sense for what you're seeing... imo anyway. Less distracting than you'd think. It has the bonus of making everything look really stylized. The striking edges go well with all of the softness brought in by the fog, bloom, and godrays. It just feels complete to me.
Metro  Exodus Screenshot 2021.06.20 - 16.36.17.18.jpg
Fallout4 2021-06-26 23-40-12.jpg

I caught the Museum of Witchcraft at a really cool moment. This game has some neat buildings.
Fallout4 2021-06-27 18-55-36.jpg

I don't know if you can see, but the windows have hybrid reflections. There is a special cube map casting glow reflections at all angles. Basically "texture" reflections. And then at steeper angles you get ENB-assisted SSR cast on top. Fallout 4 Ultimate Window Overhaul. Pretty cool stuff that I happened to sniff out on a whim, looking for better window textures. I found something way more interesting than that. Hard to see, but it is present here. The tree on the right reflects off of the top right edge of the window. Easy to spot in game, because the SSR jitters :laugh:
Fallout4 2021-06-27 18-56-03.jpg

I'm still working on my character. Just finishing off the basic Minutemen stuff, just until I max affinity with Preston. Coming along at level 11. I'm trying to figure out how to age characters in subtle ways. The thing with the appearance mods is that they all favor really youthful features. It's hard to actually make a convincing Nora-aged character without drifting into this uncanny, sort of androgynous territory with the features. An older face has slightly different contours. So you can sculpt the age in. But the materials and such don't match them, so you get this weird young-old thing that makes them oddly masculine at times. Authenticity is really hard in general. It hasn't always been favored by the modding community. Really fantastical characters are easy to do, there is an abundance of stuff to work with. More down to earth and still HQ, not so much. Nora is a wife and a mother, but more importantly a recently-retired lawyer. Meaning she'd be late 20's at the youngest. Probably a little older. Now, she's the general tho:
Fallout4 2021-06-27 18-34-31.jpg
Fallout4 2021-06-27 18-34-12.jpg

I just don't know if I'll ever be happy with faces in this game. You get a lot to work with, but it doesn't work well together. It's like you can never quite get to the parts you want to change.

Part 2: I went to Nordhagen on a call for the Minutemen... I'm renaming it "Hellshack" because that's all that it is. And it's located in hell. There's a little blown-out shack, a shitty garden, some dunes, rain, and blackness. That's it.
Fallout4 2021-06-27 21-58-57.jpg

Blessm, still working like it's not the end of days. Pretending like there's something to hope for out here.

Fallout4 2021-06-27 21-58-19.jpg

The flamingos aren't fooling anyone. You know you made bad choices if this is where you find yourself.

Fallout4 2021-06-27 21-58-02.jpg

Like, man... this place sucks. Fuck this place. I hate it here.

Fallout4 2021-06-27 21-58-34.jpg

I mean, it REALLY sucks. I'm pretty sure the river Styx is just out that way.

Fallout4 2021-06-27 21-57-34.jpg

The people I was sent to help were just standing here like this when I arrived. Just vacantly aloof... staring and swaying placidly. I think they knew everything. I think this shithole broke them and they are simply waiting for the final seam to tear.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
I completed the Gorgon and Eridon DLC’s for The Outer Worlds. I feel I definitely got my money’s worth for them. I also felt they may have been higher quality content than the main game.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
I love the bullet-time effect in Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts. So far, my best shot is about 200m.
SGWContracts 2021-06-27 (Medium).jpg

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling be quiet dark rock pro 3
Memory GSKill Aegis 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7800 XT Hellhound 16GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 1TB , HyperX Savage 240GB SATA 3
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply Seasonic prime TX-650
Mouse Marvo Scorpion G981
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite - Yellow Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
However, the way Control's story is written, I can't think of another way to portray these things. It's just too much. It's the kind of story that needs a detective's mindset. The notes don't hand you much of anything, but they do contain a lot of story, and the information within them drastically changes how you see what is shown instead of told. It's actually worth going back over them from time to time. You can piece things together across all of them too. Like... big things. It's a part of the whole game experience. I hate when this stuff is done lazily, but in this case many of them are purposeful. It's just not immediately obvious. This goes into the world, too. The game is packed full of easter eggs and all sorts of clues throughout the environments, which also get called back to in the notes and vice versa. It's all very intertwined. The flavor ones are probably in s light minority. Most are there to add something that would be difficult to depict in a smooth way. If you take sifting through them as part of it, use your imagination a bit, then there's a lot going on with them.

The combat is really fast-paced. But outside of that, the game rewards the slow, methodical approach. You're playing a character who's trying to figure out what's going on with this organization. Her whole life, she's been searching. Tell yourself everything you can learn is useful to understanding more, and it usually is. It's just a matter of having the right pieces in front of you. Surprisingly little in those things is truly arbitrary when you get down to it.

I personally love the writing in them. It really does a lot for the game's universe. It almost hearkens back a bit to the way interactive storytelling was done in the days of early 2d adventure games that were mostly text with hand-set pixel art. The difference is now, you do really get an eyeful of the world in the text, and a lot of interaction with it. The stuff you read in all of the collectibles is meant to live in your head as you explore that world. I think it works for Control. I don't get the feeling that they did it just to do it, like I would with say, modern fallout. It's all really tight, consistently adding to a core that actually is not nascent. That it seems to be is part of the brilliance imo. You'll understand if you play through it more.

I'll put it this way. You can ignore that stuff, play the game, and have a full game and story experience. But in addition to that is the level of worldbuilding you usually only get in books. They really understand how to infer, and use it well to pack a lot of depth into their big picture. More than would fit in a typical game narrative. It's all part of a running narrative with their whole universe... or several that more than intersect. Something truly epic. Not cool, but actually epic. Pretty thoughtful, compared to the level of attention you get to notes in other games.

This may very well be the case, but finding five of the damned things before the opening credits ... that I absolutely disagree with. And calling them "collectibles". That really annoys me. That was basically the only thing I liked with the books in Skyrim: they weren't part of any collections (unless you brought them home, which of course I did). It was just a (pretty crappy) book you could read. If you wanted to. No pop ups or anything. Just some words hanging around. And at least the ones in Control aren't exactly wordy...

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Finally picked up Horizon Zero Dawn on steam summer sale. What an awesome game! Beat the main quest working on the DLC right now.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
I'm back into Days Gone with renewed vigour and managed to catch a small horde having a nap and captured a Nero base, not before having to chase around looking for a fuse for the power, hoping not to wake any sleeping zombies.
The photo mode in this game is one of the best with a multitude of options:
days-gone-window (Medium).jpg days-gone-bike (Medium).jpg

days-gone-shrine (Medium).jpg

System Name K9
Processor i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz and 32deg C - delid + Grizzly Conductonaught LM
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Custom water cooling loop - GPU + mobo (+VRM's) + CPU
Memory G Skill - Trident Z RGB DDR4 - 3866Mhz x 32Gb @ 3800Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 11Gb GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce Extreme @ 2250Mhz
Storage Samsung 500Gb M2 970 EVO + Samsung 850 Pro SSD + ADATA 512Gb SSD + Samsung 1Tb & 3T + WD 1Tb + 3Tb
Display(s) ASUS 27" ROG Swift 1440p @ 165Hz & BenQ 27" LED
Case Thermaltake Core P7 - Open frame
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z906 - 5.1ch
Power Supply EVGA 1200W
Mouse Roccat LeadR + Razer Nagar V2 Pro
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX with Cherry Red switches
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores v/fast
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yet more FO4. I have problems...
One thing I will say, I'm really happy with how my interiors look. Really just some minor tweaking would do it. Some spaces I'm not fully into. A lot of these office/industrial spaces are great though. Really sells that gritty, dilapidated building vibe. It has power, and you have this juxtaposition with overgrowth. A mix of grand areas and claustrophobia. This place has even more I can't get to yet. They really did a great job putting together so many of these spots. Credit where it's due, I think their landscape and level designers did a great job on the game. It has a great visual concept, that they tried to make good use of, incorporating a lot of verticality in tight spaces. A lot of detail and just, stuff going on. Little distinguishing things across so many spaces made with the same assets. They all start to have personalities to you. So it's a sprawling world in more ways than one. You really feel "in the thick of it" in places like these. They're appropriately dark and musty. All of the placement in the different areas shines through.
Fallout4 2021-06-28 21-39-25.jpg

Fallout4 2021-06-28 21-39-02.jpg

All it really takes to bring the magic and impact out is a simple lighting change. Bethesda hates real ambiance... that "what's over there?" light at the end of the dark, bent hallway. They say you must see the full hallway. I don't think they understand shooter atmosphere too well. Or they need to rethink their lighting strategy.

See, these levels are amazingly well-done, from a visual standpoint. There are so many compositionally satisfying sights abound, that get completely missed because there is almost no lighting dynamic. It all just smushes together in a technicolor goulash. They have no light and dark areas! It makes them feel like safe little attractions. It doesn't need to be realistic to make me feel like I'm going through dark, semi-abandoned 200-year-old buildings. They figured that out decades ago. It really is like they don't even try, and I can't understand it. I just don't understand how they get it 90% of the way there and leave it waiting on that crucial 10%. It's right there. Just set up your lighting!

Bethesda slathers all of their interiors with a lot of "ambient" placed light. Just generic light blobs in places where there should be. Literally everything else is filled with light that behaves just like direct sunlight outside, only turned down. A lot of times it's all totally static, not even generating shadows. Omnidirectional and everything. It looks like shit. Man, it really dates them bad. And there's no reason for it. Many mods will change that, almost completely turn off the fake light paint and instead 'turn on' the actual fixtures and windows as dynamic lights. And as it turns out, they're placed just perfect for lighting the spaces and providing atmosphere. A directional flashlight mod takes care of the rest.

I think this must've been what they wanted to begin with, but maybe couldn't squeeze it in performance-wise. The dynamic lights are nothing for a modern CPU, but they really do eat up a lot more, and they also weigh down the scripting system, which serves as a go-between for that whole 'dynamic' part.

But I mean, even generic spaces give you more impact and drama with this simple change. Just some real contrast swing and directionality. Very simple thing to do. But powerful.
Fallout4 2021-06-28 21-40-22.jpg

Fallout4 2021-06-28 21-40-53.jpg
Fallout4 2021-06-28 21-41-20.jpg

Of course, a full ENB helps. I use the games HBAO+ (which is good, but taxing) and then ENB AO/IL on top. Beyond that you have some contact shadows on objects. Higher res textures with much more detailed normalmaps. With a bleachey/contrasty lut and some lighting/contrast changes, things start to really pop and these places become much more interesting.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Mag wheels and street tyres on an off road bike = Really !!!
It’s the apocalypse. Everything is cobbled together. No one is producing anything anymore. Also, these bikes in the game are closer to biker Harleys than off road bikes.

As for me, I’ve been back into State of Decay 2 today, adding to my previous 677 hours. New game mode and mechanics and gimmicks. It’s enough to keep it fun until 3 drops.

Yet more FO4. I have problems
Don’t feel bad...look above this. I’m approaching 700 hours in SoD2. :laugh:

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
Don’t feel bad...look above this. I’m approaching 700 hours in SoD2. :laugh:
Dude, I've been down bad these last 3 days and I'm starting to feel the burn. I have been managing to shower nightly, get a few things here and there done... can't really list them though...

I'm starting to feel the modding itch again. I see many things. Too many things. Incidentally, I'm also staring down a full week off. I planned for nothing. I know myself too well and the burden of that enlightenment is a heavy one.

I've had no interest in this game until recently... and of course the stars align for it to eat up huge chunks of time.

Ugh.... EDIT: Major bummer... Control still has some game breakers... as far as I can tell, this is baked into my save now. Story spoilers.
Control Screenshot 2021.06.29 - 15.49.25.45.png

This is where the Ordinary AWE location is. Normally, you hit the button up on that red pedestal, door opens, light comes on. It's very brightly lit with all of these spotlights on it. Well, I guess last time I was playing, I quit after doing this, and it saved that progress. Problem is, now it never calls the light and I can't get through to even see how long the darkness goes for. I could beat the enemies, but I can't navigate out of the area because the exit is a pitch-black bottleneck.
Control Screenshot 2021.06.29 - 15.50.46.04.png

Standing where I need to go, looking back on the AWE space. It's brighter back that way. The corridor is just black. All black.
Control Screenshot 2021.06.29 - 15.49.36.90.png

This should all be lit by the time I even go out there. Let alone after killing all of the enemies. That was a disorienting fight, not knowing up from left or anything.

The way I see it, there are two options. Load from the start of the mission, lose hours of side-content... just try to figure out where I am in the game. Or start over. I'm thinking start over. Just sucks because I'm looking at this build and I have pretty much the best possible shit. It's lost anyway though. It was all done after starting this mission. If I dial back before the mission, I lose all of the good stuff I rolled anyway.

That is a major disappointment though. This is especially bad, because it is a progress killer in the final arc of the main story. Ooof. That hurts me. That really stings a bit. Weirdly enough, Metro Exodus has a similar bug with a long, dark stealth passage. You better just not fail it once. If you're ever caught and killed, you will never ever get the lights to turn OFF again. They're permanently on and you aren't stealthing a single goddamn. At least there, you can still progress.

I just had a thought. Maybe if I get in the mood I'll look for a video walkthrough to try and get through the dark-ass bottleneck by memory. That's really the thing. I can't remember what's there at all. It just looks like a big black place with invisible walls in every dimension. But I know it can't be that long, and areas past this shouldn't be affected. It seems the state of the lights in this area is recorded differently than other things tracked in the save. The save records the button press and doesn't allow you to trigger that action a second time, but forgets that the lights are already on. So two interrelated systems, tracking different things, not lining up for the location.

Side note, post merge is annoying sometimes. I know that I'm posting a lot, but this is actually a different day and a different subject. Different game, even!

Last edited: