• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What are you playing?

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Dead Space. The original (2008), not the remake.

I'm almost at the end. It's an okay game, but I don't understand why it's hyped so much. Here's a long-ish, but not complete review, as I'm only in Chapter 10 so far:

The story is quite dull and predictable (so far). Spaceship sends an SOS, a small team responds, the ship is infested with monsters made out of dead people and hell breaks loose. Oh and there's some sort of religious cult involved. Nothing we hadn't seen as of 2008 (Alien? Doom?). Then, all you have to do as a repair technician is fix various parts of the ship to be able to escape. Go here, switch that button, go there, pick up that thing, bring it back here to fix something else with it. Not very complex and engaging, to say the least. It's not a bad thing, I like simplicity, I just don't get the hype around it. What really keeps it alive, though, is the text and audio logs that you pick up along the way. If you're not a lore gamer, fair enough, but you really have to listen to and read these here to understand what happened, and I think that's great!

Then comes the gameplay. It's a TPS shooter (edited) with gear levelling and an inventory system that works on-the-fly, that is, the game doesn't pause when you're looking at your stuff, you can still die. It's nice, and it adds to the immersion. Then, your weapons: most of them are improvised tools designed to cut off the enemies' limbs, because that's how they die. This is the game's main selling point, and it's truly revolutionary for 2008 levels. It's just not enough to build a whole game around, imo.

The controls are clunky and forced. Your character moves slowly which is understandable considering the heavy space suit and repair gear he's carrying. The problem lies elsewhere, though. For example, when you right-click to aim, you can shoot. That's fine. But if you forget to to do that, or you get attacked from behind (which happens an awful lot, by the way) and you just click, your character goes into a very slow arm swing to hit the enemy which mostly doesn't do anything. You can't even interrupt it, which can lead to your death if you're not careful. WHY!? Also, there's the space key which is a stomp that's only used to open resource crates. Why did we need a separate key just for this when we don't have one to shoot without aiming? These tiny bits don't make sense to me.

Edit: And speaking of enemies attacking from behind, that happens a lot! And I mean A LOT! They come out of vents that are everywhere, and there's a jump scare around every single corner. It's more annoying than scary, imo. I've never liked jump scares, and the overuse of them gets old and tired after half an hour of gameplay here, too.

Speaking of shooting, some weapons are great, some are overkill, while some others are completely useless. Considering that your money and resources are limited, it would be better not to waste hard-earned cash on a gun that pushes monsters back but does nothing else at all and then sell it for half the price. An upgrade on one of my other guns, or a new space suit would have been more useful, and I had to play another level with sub-par gear just because of the money I wasted on that useless gun. Annoying.

Then there's the level design. On the one hand, the atmosphere is great! The various parts of the ship look distinct enough to be interesting, but still make you feel like you're on the same ship. There's an overuse of blood, corpses and destroyed equipment, which is a bit overwhelming, but that seems to be the intention here. The whole system just looks organic and real... but that's it... looks... it doesn't feel that way, though. There's lots of dark, twisty hallways which add to the horror element, but don't make any sense from a practical point of view, however. Why would you have to walk through the hallway for 2 minutes just to get to the hospital wing, when it could be right in front of you? Why would anyone design a spaceship with large, open chasms that don't lead anywhere? Why is the ceiling about 10 metres tall on the bridge? Why is the engineering deck composed of several levels when the only things that do anything are on the bottom level? It doesn't make sense.

Speaking about the atmosphere, that's the main positive point about the game, imo (not the physics engine - which is also great, but not enough to build a whole game around without the other elements). The environment, the sounds, the lighting, everything makes you feel the way you have to feel in a triple-A horror sci-fi game. The random voices you hear in empty rooms, the way everything's arranged, the flickering lights, the slowly decaying artificial environment of a space ship designed for planet mining... it all sends small shivers down your spine, and it's all just excellent! This is why I recommend playing the game even today.

All in all, I'm enjoying the game, but I don't see it as the revolutionary thing that many people do. It's a simple, but nice enough survival sci-fi horror shooter with physics elements. 7/10.

I'll definitely pick up the remake once it gets a discount. I'm curious how they improved on the already excellent atmosphere.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I just beat Battlefield 3 campaign again, holds up really damn well. 10/10

Now it is time for Legacy of the Void, unless I get distracted again, which might happen because I am eyeing Civilization V, owned it for ages, but never actually played the campaign, always just messed around with custom maps. I think I'd like to enjoy the campaign (if there is one, I honestly don't remember)

Damnit, I am distracted again! Sorry Legacy of the Void, you have to wait again. :roll:

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
All of the games made by this company DONTNOD are very similar in design, just different stories, that is my understanding.
Yet Remember Me is a different thing :D a boss fight by me from that game:

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus something
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S dual fan
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
Video Card(s) MSI 3060 Gaming X
Storage Mixed bag of M2 SSD and SATA SSD
Display(s) MSI 34" 3440x1440 Artimys 343CQR
Case Old Corsair Obsidian something
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Old Antec HCG 620 still running good
Mouse Steelseries something
Keyboard Steelseries someting too
Benchmark Scores bench ? no time to lose with bench ! :)
Dead Space. The original (2008), not the remake.

I'm almost at the end. It's an okay game, but I don't understand why it's hyped so much. Here's a long-ish, but not complete review, as I'm only in Chapter 10 so far:

All in all, I'm enjoying the game, but I don't see it as the revolutionary thing that many people do. It's a simple, but nice enough survival sci-fi horror shooter with physics elements. 7/10.

I'll definitely pick up the remake once it gets a discount. I'm curious how they improved on the already excellent atmosphere.
You said it all :
excellent atmosphere
[not] the revolutionary thing that many people do
simple, but nice enough survival sci-fi horror shooter

Literally, it was an Resident Evil 4 in Space ...
I think it's enough for a good game ! :D:D

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
You said it all :
excellent atmosphere
[not] the revolutionary thing that many people do
simple, but nice enough survival sci-fi horror shooter

Literally, it was an Resident Evil 4 in Space ...
I think it's enough for a good game ! :D:D
It's enough for a good game, just not enough for an overhyped, full-price triple-A game. It feels like something I could randomly buy for 10 bucks and enjoy the heck out of, but not something that would ever change my world for 50 quid.

Another strange thing:
I've just finished Chapter 10 and I honestly don't understand why I'm helping Dr Kyne. He says the marker is the key of solving all problems, and we have to get it down to the planet. In my point of view, he's just another religious fanatic and should be shot in the head. One of the notes I picked up clearly states that he's a member of the religious sect that started the whole horror show. But the game doesn't leave me with much choice. So why am I helping him? I've got a space shuttle ready to go! In my opinion, I should just get my teammate and get the hell out! Why am I running around to find bloody artefacts when I could just escape in the shuttle while Dr Kyne takes the ship down to the planet's surface? It doesn't make sense! Ugh! :banghead:

Edit: It would make much more sense to run around the ship trying to find Isaac's lost girlfriend. She showed up once, so finding her again shouldn't be too difficult, right?

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asrock B450M Steel Legend @ BIOS Version P4.60
Cooling Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Memory PNY Electronics 8192 MB (DDR4-3200 with XMP/DOCP) P/N: 8GBF1X08QFHH38-135-K (x2)
Video Card(s) Colorful Tomahawk/BattleAx RTX 2060 Super
Storage HP SSD EX900 500GB, PNY CS900 960GB
Display(s) Acer QG240Y S3
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650W, 230V non fullrange
Software Windows 10 Pro
I tried playing Genshin Impact with my RX5600XT, my PC blackscreened and restarted. As a last resort, I put my emergency RX550 in my PC, now I can play the game for real, albeit at low graphics settings obviously.

As for what I'm doing in-game, I'm levelling up my newest character Hu Tao. Turning her into a fiery killing machine. After I'm done with the game for today, I'm going to play Honkai Impact 3rd, another RX550 friendly game.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed/-130mV undervolt'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
I've finished Cyberpunk after like 2 months of casually playing it.
Did all of the main side missions/character related stories as far as I know, only left some of the gigs/random missions and a few cyberpsychos but those can be done after if I feel like to.
cbpend2.jpg
cbpjudy6.jpg

Honestly I'm not sure how to feel about my ending but yeh I will need to think about this before I decide what game to pick up next. 'I have some ideas tho'
In overall I liked the game and for the most part it was a smooth experience with just insignificant bugs here and there that didn't really bother me or the gameplay itself.

System Name Merc v8
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Gaming X AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 with Arctic fans
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Flare X F5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X PLUS
Storage Solidigm P44 1TB, &2TB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 34GP950G-B
Case Caselabs Mercury S8
Audio Device(s) Some Schiit with Edifier S351DB
Power Supply Seasonic TX-750
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Epomaker TH80 SE (Silent Red switches)
Software W11Pro
It's called fashion, look it up gramps.

(Hogwarts Legacy)

Software Windows 10 Pro
It's called fashion, look it up gramps.

(Hogwarts Legacy)
One man's fashion is another man's joke, I guess. :laugh:

On a serious note, I'm tempted to buy the game myself, as much as it contradicts my rule of never buying games at full price.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Demo time:
Broken Arrow (strategy, command military units, kill and survive, very detailed)
View attachment 283082

Operation Harsh Doorstop [weird name] (think Insurgency, fps)
View attachment 283084

Voidtrain (build a train in the void, again weird concept but if you like trains and swimming go check it out)
View attachment 283089
Harsh. Doorstop. Lmao

Speaking of shooting, some weapons are great, some are overkill, while some others are completely useless. Considering that your money and resources are limited, it would be better not to waste hard-earned cash on a gun that pushes monsters back but does nothing else at all and then sell it for half the price.
Wait... is this Force Gun you speak of? That bad boy takes on everything all on its own bro... and it keeps you safe doing so. My favorite weapon :) Dismembering gets a whole new meaning with this puppy - it'll literally cleave stuff if you're close, just max out that damage. Also, you can store your excess weapons instead.

I had to replay DS1 as well. Finished yesterday... on to part 2 now. That's a LOT more action oriented, holy crap what a difference.

Last edited:
Processor 5800X3D -30 CO
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling DeepCool Assassin III
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V @ 3800 CL14
Video Card(s) ASRock MBA 7900XTX
Storage 1TB WD SN850X + 1TB ADATA SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell S2721QS 4K60
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced USB 3.0
Audio Device(s) Audiotrak Prodigy Cube Black (JRC MUSES 8820D) + CAL (recabled)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750
Mouse Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave
Keyboard Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave
Software Windows 10 Pro
Something I chanced upon today:

bday.jpg

1676407620134.png

Our girl Lara has surely developed through all these years! :toast:

Last edited:
System Name Bad Moon Ryzen
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Cooling Vetroo V5
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32Gb (8gb x 4) 3200 MHz DDR 4
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb, Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb,WD Black 8Tb, WD Blue 2Tb
Display(s) Gigabyte G24F-2 (180Hz Freesync) & 4K Samsung TV
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact w/Dark Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply MSI MPG A850GF (850w)
VR HMD Rift S
Software Windows 10 Pro
Wait... is this Force Gun you speak of? That bad boy takes on everything all on its own bro... and it keeps you safe doing so. My favorite weapon :) Dismembering gets a whole new meaning with this puppy - it'll literally cleave stuff if you're close, just max out that damage. Also, you can store your excess weapons instead.

I had to replay DS1 as well. Finished yesterday... on to part 2 now. That's a LOT more action oriented, holy crap what a difference.
Yes, the force gun. I don't know, maybe it's badass on higher levels. When I tried, it only pushed the monsters back a couple of steps but did no damage. Maybe there's a way to use it that I haven't figured out. :laugh:

I've just finished the game, by the way. The eerie atmosphere didn't stay for the boss fight, but I sort of expected it to be that way. At least parts of the story that I didn't get make sense now. :)

Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Software Windows 10 Pro
Decided to start playing Guardians of the Galaxy, wanted to play this for a while just never got to it and since its on gamepass I went for it now. 'needed something different after the mindfoq my Cyberpunk ending gave me..
Looks good and runs pretty well even with some RT enabled with no DLSS this time. 'rest maxed out'
guardians2.jpg
guardians4.jpg

As usual a fairly modern game with black bars during in game cutscenes on a 21:9 display and the gamepass version won't allow for hex editing fixes, thankfully Flawless Widescreen came to the rescue and now it works perfectly. :)

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Yes, the force gun. I don't know, maybe it's badass on higher levels. When I tried, it only pushed the monsters back a couple of steps but did no damage. Maybe there's a way to use it that I haven't figured out. :laugh:

I've just finished the game, by the way. The eerie atmosphere didn't stay for the boss fight, but I sort of expected it to be that way. At least parts of the story that I didn't get make sense now. :)
It does damage - even if the limbs dont always fly off. You get a free stagger effect. But more importantly, you dont need to aim so its damn fast to get a shot in. And on top of this, the grenade alt fire can nuke those wall-hanging fat dudes in two shots; primary fire gets rid of all the little crawling bugs around, and at arm's length, it devastates anything else. Its super versatile.

The only enemies it can't tackle are the ones that are only vulnerable on their 'stalks'.

Software Windows 10 Pro
It does damage - even if the limbs dont always fly off. You get a free stagger effect. But more importantly, you dont need to aim so its damn fast to get a shot in. And on top of this, the grenade alt fire can nuke those wall-hanging fat dudes in two shots; primary fire gets rid of all the little crawling bugs around, and at arm's length, it devastates anything else. Its super versatile.
Um... are you telling me that I just finished the game without knowing that guns had a secondary fire option? :roll:

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Um... are you telling me that I just finished the game without knowing that guns had a secondary fire option? :roll:
Guess I did. Now replay that thing on hard :)

I mean... even your plasma cutter's 90 degree turn is an alt fire... you seriously didn't press that button on any other gun?

Software Windows 10 Pro
Guess I did. Now replay that thing on hard :)
I'll wait for a discount on the remake instead, and play something else in the meantime. There's only so much horror I can play at a time. :ohwell:

System Name Fran
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ROG Strix B550-F GAMING WIFI II
Cooling Hyper 212 Turbo ARGB
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6700 10GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Kingston A1000 480GB
Display(s) Lenovo G27q-20 (1440p, 165Hz)
Case NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) MOONDROP Aria SE
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Gold III 850W
Mouse Logitech G302
Keyboard IK75 v3 (QMK version)
Started playing RDR2 a few days ago. Hella hooked on it, it also looks super nice.

I didn't really play many games before because my RX 480 at 1440p was just masochism. Feels good to play games again :p

Space Lynx

Astronaut
so I have beat 4 games this month, might be record pace for me.

also, you know how at the movie theater you hated sitting during the credits? I noticed when I play a good 8+ hour game, its like kind of fun to sit and listen/watch the credits because of all that time investment. interesting

:toast:

Software Windows 10 Pro

also, you know how at the movie theater you hated sitting during the credits? I noticed when I play a good 8+ hour game, its like kind of fun to sit and listen/watch the credits because of all that time investment. interesting

I let the credits roll when the game/movie was good to show my appreciation towards the makers. I know they'll never know or care, but still. :ohwell:

And if the game/movie was exceptionally mind-blowingly good, then I need the music during the end credits to slowly phase back to reality.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
There are a few games that have important cinematic cutscenes and even gameplay after the end credits finish rolling.

Periodically videogame news sites will list the best games with surprise endings which often conclude with post-credit content.

Software Windows 10 Pro

Went to the cinema a few times in 2022 and I never had to sit through the credits and most ppl + person I was with walked out as soon as the movie ended.'Tho the movies I've watched in the cinema had no extra scenes at the end of the credits anyway'

When I watch movies at home on my PC I usually gradually fast forward the credits to see if there is anything at the end. 'yeh looking at you Marvel/DC movies..:rolleyes:'

In games I almost never watch the credits completely or fast forward it, now I had to sit and watch for like 10 mins during the Cyberpunk credits cause some of the in game characters leave you a video message there and I wanted to watch those, rest of the credits I've fast forwarded after.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE