1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What backup software do you use?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by bud951, Jul 8, 2008.

1. bud951

bud951 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image? I have owned both with mostly sucsess but also failure at times. The failures could have been my fault but dont know for sure. Are there other alternitives? I am running Vista 32bit. Info is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    control-C and control-V.

If its important, put it on another HDD. i only have an OS on my C: drive, and its been a long time since i've lost any data.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. xubidoo

Thanks Received:
    i backup my OS with Acronis ,everything else goes onto DVD for backup ,eg music & video etc.

4. bud951

bud951 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mussels, are you just using Windows to backup? What is control-c and v? I agree, I also keep important data on a seperate harddrive but once in awhile a bad video driver or something screws up my pc and I don't feel like reloading everything. I like to make an image of my C: drive which is only OS, games and programs. I DL everything else to my E: (storage) drive.

5. bud951

bud951 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Has Acronis always worked for you? Which version? Thanks.

6. Grimskull New Member

Thanks Received:
    i use acronis home image v11. Make sure that you validate the backup afterwards... might work if you dont!!! the validation is in the acronis software

7. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    SynBackSE...never had a problem with it.

bud951 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    copy paste. if i want a backup, i save it to an external hard drive. i see no need to back my OS up, as it only takes 45 min to reinstall and have a working OS. (with all drivers, as those are part of the backed up files)

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. bud951

bud951 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looking into SynBackSE.. I own Acronis.. Has anyone had any recent experience with Norton Ghost? I know their AV software sucks but I have had a good experience with Ghost but it has been like 3 years. Thanks for input.

10. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah but SynBackSE is like an "automatic" copy paste only with a lot more options :p. (Schedule, incremental backup, network backup, FTP, encryption, profiles, etc).

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    good old dvd discs.

12. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    i have used ghost once and acronis once, i like acronis better, it was the latest wich i think is 11

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the main question would be, why do you need a backup tool? you can list the features all you want, but isnt a manual backup quicker and easier?

You ghost your system and feel safe, except htat since the ghost was made you changed from an ATI card to an Nvidia, and nwo your ghost wont boot. Same for a mobo, etc. Any backups that include an OS, expect you to have the same hardware... what if your HDD failed, and your tool doesnt support restoring to a different sized drive/partition? i've had that one happen to me, last year.

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. bud951

bud951 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea but I am talking about more short term backups. If I changed hardware I know it would be useless. I just remember Ghost and the freedom it gave me to experiment with video drivers and whatever. I was back up in 20 min no matter what I did and without having to reinstall every driver and program and game for that matter. They are nice. Just wondering what pepole here are using latley.

15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    as long as you have a use and benefit from it, i just know too many people who use backup programs for no real reason, and it definately has drawbacks.

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. CY:G

CY:G New Member

Thanks Received:
    Another vote here for SyncBack SE, it runs by itself, generates reports if there are any problems and i can keep several machines synchronized by document changes (sometimes i work on my Lappie and some times on my desk machine, its important that both "My documents" folder are exactly the same)

I couldnt live without it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    well thats interesting. is there any limitations to what it can sync? can i simply tell it to sync the my docs folder on all my machines, and it works?

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. Cybrnook2002

Cybrnook2002

Thanks Received:
    Acronis TI 11, I love it. Backs up my XP SP3 32 bit install and my Vista Ultimate 64 install. Never had any problems backing up or restoring.

19. CY:G

Thanks Received:
    Yep, this is my Setup:

File Server (For Files)
    Desktop (For Gaming and work)
    Laptop (For work)

All 3 of those computers have the "My Documents" folder synchronized, it searches for any changes in the files and gives priority to the latest changed.

It is HIGHLY configurable, for example, you can tell it what to do in each event, like... if you deleted a file in the source but not the destination you can tell it to either copy the deleted file from the destination to the source, or to delete it from the destination or you can tell it to ask you what to do...

And its like that for every event... you can tell it what to do.

ohh and i forgot to mention, my Gaming machine runs Vista while the server and lappie XP, so it even works with both OSs.

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i was going to ask about that, but didnt due to not knowing how to word it. thanks for the detailed answer.

The only last question is: how much ram does the program use, and is it tray icon or service based? (i have an unusual hatred for service based programs)

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. CY:G

Thanks Received:
    Its Tray based, though if you close the tray icon it still runs the backups because when you schedule something in the program it actually creates a "Scheduled Tasks" in the windows control panel, so the program only opens when its time to run them.

I didn't know that, just checking now when you asked i noticed the scheduled task in my control panel, so now i can close that tray icon and save some ram.

I don't know how much ram it uses while its doing the backups but while it is idling i just checked and it uses a whopping 1.58MB, goes up to 2.00MB :laugh:

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. xubidoo

Thanks Received:
    Acronis v11 i use and it works just fine ,have restored my C: drive a good few times on all my PC's.

i used to use Nortons Ghost which did a good job as well but unfortunatly it also installs loads of crap onto the system,wheras Acronis does not.

23. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Try Cobian backup software version 9. It has image facilities. I use it to backup all the files to my file server.

And I trust XP Backup with ASR for the OS. I have screwed up many times on the OS and have recovered using the backup easily just within 15 minutes.

Vista should have something similar.

10 Year Member at TPU
  24. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I just started using Cobian 9 a couple days ago. Love it.

25. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol basically same setup as me....and yeah I got my server using XP 32, 2 comps on Vista 64, lappie on XP 32 and lappie on Vista 32....all works flawlessly.

Yeah Mussels as I said, its like a "lazy mans" copy paste job lol. It barely uses any system resources.

The default installation installs it as a tray program....but I *THINK* (dont quote me), I saw a services option when installing it. (Or im confused with another program :p)

Never! lol copy pasting requires you to actually open the folders up (source and destination) and press stuff :p...then makes u answer questions about duplicate files. Soooooooooooo much effort!

10 Year Member at TPU