1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

what can cause pc to power up for a second, then power itself off?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ny_driver, Dec 17, 2009.

1. ny_driver

ny_driver New Member

Thanks Received:
    it was doing it yesterday when I first got it, but then that ceased to happen. I finally got it programmed with OS and stuff, then today I had a bad flash, took it all apart, then decided to try to recover the bios before getting a new chip, put it back together, and now it's doing this again. It's only powering up by the switch on the PSU also, which it was also doing yesterday at first.

Another day, another problem.........

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. TheCrow

TheCrow New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a short on the power switch to the chassis (case).

Try unplugging the power switch from the board and see if it does it then. You can switch the pc on by just shorting the two contacts where the power switch plugs in.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Did u pull out the motherboard from the case? If so did you put the mobo risers on the case or is the mobo mounted on the small ant hills?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. ny_driver

ny_driver New Member

Thanks Received:
    I didn't personally mount the mobo, but it looks like it's just on the metal anthills. I'm listening....

I'm checking the possible short also. EDIT: It's not starting off the power switch or shorting the 2 pins together, only starts when I flip the PSU switch.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. ny_driver

ny_driver New Member

Thanks Received:
    It appears to have been the PSU. It was quite a chore to get the one out of my personal system, but it powered this Neo2 right up, and my bios recovery floppy disk worked too....I'm very happy. I'm on the Neo2 right now!! Thanks for the suggestions guys. Have a Merry Christmas.

10 Year Member at TPU