• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What CPU coolers will fit into an NZXT S340 and cool an i7 8700k?

KayTea

Hey, ^^ First-time poster here,

Although I love building pcs, I'm also slightly traumatised from trying to install a liquid CPU cooler. I sent it back, alongside the i7 and left it a few months....,
Now I am ready to re-visit those scary moments and install an i7 8700k with a CPU cooler FAN instead of liquid, however, a lot of fan-based CPU coolers(or are they called heatsinks? who knows.) that are able to cool an i7 8700k with a bit of overclocking are quiteee big and I don't have much room in my S340. I also want to install my final two ram slots with 2x8GB, so I need space.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Also in case you were wondering, me and my neighbor ended up figuring out I didn't install the liquid cooler wrong, The CPU I bought was just completely thrashed and constantly overclocked, so it had to go back. I would still prefer not to install a liquid cooler because I do find them more confusing than a good old Fan-based CPU cooler. (Also not buying a second-hand CPU again lol, I'm glad I at least got my money back)

The budget is 30-100£.
Current Case: NZXT S340 (I don't know how much CPU cooler clearance it has.)
Socket: LGA 1151

Thanks for reading, and if my message confused you a bit I'm sorry, but feel free to ask a question that I'll maybe be able to clear up.

System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X
Storage yes
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750w
VR HMD Oculus CV1
You can fit practically any cooler you want in there, depending on how tall your RAM heatsinks are. If it can fit a Noctua NH-D15, it can fit practically anything. Although the NH-D15 is a tight fit in general in the S340.

That being said, a Scythe Fuma 2 should work out pretty well.

And for reference, the S340 supports CPU coolers up to 161mm.

Remember to double check the voltages on the 8700k. When I got mine and just left it all on stock (Including voltage) it ran ridiculously warm. Way warmer than my current OC. It also liked to slap over 1.4v on it which is ridiculous for stock. But hey, thats what the default "auto" seems to do in general.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
The CPU and GPU clearances for the NZXT S340 are detailed in the owner's manual.

A simple search on DuckDuckGo using the search parameters "NZXT S340 manual" gave the top result as:

where you can verify that elghinnarisa is correct.

I suggest you download the PDF for safekeeping and future reference. My guess is that NZXT technical support will have some recommended coolers for your specific CPU's TDP.

Best of luck.

KayTea

The CPU and GPU clearances for the NZXT S340 are detailed in the owner's manual.

A simple search on DuckDuckGo using the search parameters "NZXT S340 manual" gave the top result as:

where you can verify that elghinnarisa is correct.

I suggest you download the PDF for safekeeping and future reference. My guess is that NZXT technical support will have some recommended coolers for your specific CPU's TDP.

Best of luck.

Thank you very much for this, It will come in handy. I appreciate it! :)

You can fit practically any cooler you want in there, depending on how tall your RAM heatsinks are. If it can fit a Noctua NH-D15, it can fit practically anything. Although the NH-D15 is a tight fit in general in the S340.

That being said, a Scythe Fuma 2 should work out pretty well.

And for reference, the S340 supports CPU coolers up to 161mm.

Remember to double check the voltages on the 8700k. When I got mine and just left it all on stock (Including voltage) it ran ridiculously warm. Way warmer than my current OC. It also liked to slap over 1.4v on it which is ridiculous for stock. But hey, thats what the default "auto" seems to do in general.

Thank you for the recommendations I'll definitely check them out, and sorry if this is a bit annoying but how do you change the stock on a CPU and voltage? I've never heard of this before, as I'm currently running a budget build with an i3 8100, so I probably never needed to learn about stock settings for CPUs and how to change them, or how it affects things. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X
Storage yes
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750w
VR HMD Oculus CV1
Thank you for the recommendations I'll definitely check them out, and sorry if this is a bit annoying but how do you change the stock on a CPU and voltage? I've never heard of this before, as I'm currently running a budget build with an i3 8100, so I probably never needed to learn about stock settings for CPUs and how to change them, or how it affects things. Thanks in advance!

I assumed you knew since you said in the first post "that are able to cool an i7 8700k with a bit of overclocking"
If your doing overclocking, then voltages would be something one is used to poking at. All of which can be found in UEFI. The stock is generally just "auto" settings on the motherboard, sometimes good, sometimes bad. I know that my Maximus X hero set to "auto" did a terrible job.

System Name pc
Processor İ7 11700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Z590-F
Cooling Lian Lİ Galahad 360
Memory Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200 MT/S tCL16
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG STRIX RX 6700XT OC
Storage 980 PRO 500GB+Crucail P5 500GB + WD BLUE 1TB HDD
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Asus Pugio II
Keyboard XPG Summeoner Cherry MX Red
Software WINDOWS 10 PRO
Lian Li Galahad 240.

1625331959847.png

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
arctic freezer 34 esports duo
dual fan cooler, 159mm, quiet and the performance is very decent.

KayTea

I didn't get notifications, but thank you, everyone, for these recommendations they all look great and have helped out a lot! :) I probably will be going with the Arctic Freezer 34 duo that GerKNG recommended or the shadow rock 3 that Why_Me recommended. I can't wait to upgrade now! :)

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Check out the id cooling se-225-xt black or se-224-xt if your on a budget. Another solid budget cooler is the ARESGAME River 5 if you can find it.