• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What do expensive Mouse Pads offer?

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I had a "Large" Qck, but having recently changed desks I needed a smaller one. Having no complaints about my previous Qck I ordered a Qck Edge, surface feels and moves about the same but this one has stitched edges which I think is definitively now a must for me. But I don‘t play online FPS or anything like that I have a G502 that I run ALL the weights in it, so yeah I don’t put a lot of thought into what makes a good or bad pad but I have no complaints about my current one.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
System Name Bessy 6.0
Processor i7-7700K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard MSI Z270 KRAIT Gaming
Cooling Swiftech H140-X + XSPC EX420 + Resevior
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR-3200 CL14 (B-die)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB x2 RAID0 + various other SATA drives
Power Supply XFX 750W Black Edition
Software Win10 Pro
I've been using a Ratpadz XT from [H]ardOCP for nearly 15 years and it's still working just fine. lol

tylerhann

HI-end mouse pads can be very expensive BUT for some people they are worth it. Bells and whistles (and lights) aside, for some people, precision mouse control is what higher-end mouse pads offer that the cheaper ones do not.

The way I see it, the highest end mouse is only as good as the mouse pad it slides over. For me, I need very low static friction (the force it take to set the mouse in motion, but a slightly higher amount of friction once the mouse is in motion for control and stopping power.

Just as important is a mouse pad surface that will not change (i.e.: wear down) over time. One thing a lot of people overlook in this regard is that precise and fast movements of a mouse require developing "muscle memory". Just like in a lot of sports, doing something over and over is the only way to improve accuracy and speed. If a mouse pad is continually wearing down and changing in consistency, you can never develop optimum muscle memory.

That;'s particularly the problem with cheaper mouse pads. Cloth pads get dirty over time, and hard pads made from polycarbonates lose surface texture quickly. So, not only does that make frequent replacement necessary but you can never really develop optimal muscle memory.

Low friction and consistent surfaces are the main reason for higher-end mouse pads, but honestly I have found none that are not without serious flaws.

Personally speaking my 3 favorites are:
  • ARTISAN: is nice but since it is cloth-based, consistency changes over time and they become unusable fairly quickly when they become dirty
  • SKYPAD: is also nice but being made of glass it is thick and heavy, and prone to scratching, and also highly susceptible to collecting foreign debris on the surface which ruins glide characteristics and must be cleaned over and over during use.
  • CERAKOTE: Better than Skypad but still with the same issues plus it is noisier. Also, being a coated pad, I suspect the coating will be subject to wear over time..

Leobar

Some have RGB and wireless charging. It looks like that one is just supposed to be durable and washable.
Ow my god I'm tired I read it and immediately thought why does a mouse pad need charging? then got embarrassed to the point I think my face turned red ._.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Ow my god I'm tired I read it and immediately thought why does a mouse pad need charging? then got embarrassed to the point I think my face turned red ._.
I guess if it has battery-powered RGB...:roll:

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed K/DA
Keyboard Logitech K400 Plus
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
I have a Logitech G840 XL K/DA. It's very expensive, but it's like a regular cloth mouse pad, except that it's huge and has the K/DA girls stamped on it, so I can look at Ahri and Kai'Sa with totally pure intentions when I'm not looking on my screen for whatever reason.

Legitimately, the answer is nothing. Just like every other peripheral, it's something that is very much to your personal needs and taste. Whether you like a mouse pad that has more glide or friction is just like liking a heavier or lighter mouse, or preferring higher or lower sens in a game. That's really a personal choice.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Outside of the gimmicks of charging and lighting, many times you will not see much difference out of the box.

Where the advantage comes, from years of seeing a ton of mice and pads, is in the software. Certain companies offer a reprogramming of the eye, where it reads the pad and adjusts the eye to the pad type. Corsair does this, I think Steel Series and Logitech do as well. There may be others, but those came to mind first.