1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What games do you want to see in TPU CPU reviews?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cdawall, Oct 23, 2012.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Screw Unreal Tournament 2004. Quake 3 is where it was back then.......may I suggest Quake 3? :laugh:

2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    nope, because it's a timedemo? Then I'd have to make the demo file available to everyone...and make it...

hmm. maybe we needs a great benchmakr suite that tests everything.

hmmm.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

:roll:

I see you reading, W1zz...:p

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Outside of the AA, I would be shocked if you could notice a difference between the SSAO/HBAO. The AA though, I can tell... :toast:

4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    you definitely can, on both IPS and TN, although it's a greater effect on IPS. I'd be shocked if you didn't notice yourself...

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Ips... and don't rice it when im moving.....which I do all the time. Lol

6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Colour saturation is where I notice it the most, i guess. Honestly, i dunno what those things even are, but i do notice the effects changing the options has! :laugh:

Evne htese new drivers ahve changed things a wee bit, and I like those changes!

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I have zero problems with it on W7, 32-bit or 64-bit and I've played it for over 100 hours. I used to have problems with it on multicore CPUs, but that was on XP 32-bit and my dual core E8500 before W7 came out.

There's apparently a glitch with multicore CPUs for which there's a patch* but I don't see it any more. Either, the Steam version got patched (unlikely) or it's just not manifesting itself for some reason now.

*I can't remember where the patch was now, but I should think that the UT forums would likely have it. I'll try and find it if you'll seriously consider this game. And finally, if you don't have UT2004, I'll put my money where my mouth is and gift it to you. ;)

8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I do ahve it in STEAM, thanks. I do own most titles.. I was more interested in what has come out of the past 18 months or so, and specificalyl what might be affected by CPU speed. UT2004 shoudl be one of those, but again ,ti's a time-demo one, no built-in benchmark or standalone tester program.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that's true. :ohwell: However, UT2003 had a proper, repeatable benchmark mode like you're after and it's possibe to graft it onto UT2004, which I did. I seem to remember that one had to basically copy the benchmark folder over and make a tweak or two somewhere. I can look it up.

10. SaltyFish

SaltyFish

Thanks Received:
    I'd like to suggest the following...

Neverwinter Nights 2 - The game's engine is a resource hog due to horrible inefficiencies.

King Arthur II The Role Playing Wargame - RTS game with large armies wading around in pretty shrubbery... 'nuff said.

Neither have console ports nor are they too old. Also, they're not FPS, so it should add some variety.

11. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll probably get creamed for this, but I think that game benches are almost worthless in CPU reviews.
    A games' performance is almost always dictated by the efficiency of the code of the engine behind it.
    A CPU that squeeks out a few more FPS with a crap engine does not indicate that it is superior CPU, only that it helps a little in that particular game using that particular engine.

Unless you can isolate the CPU dependant portions of the game (AI, Collision detection, whatever) and show a causal relationship based on the CPUs being tested, you are just adding games in the mix because it's expected and not because it's of any real value in the review.

Okay, feel free to trash me for my opinion. :D

12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Actually, I agree with you, and hence my criteria for those games. If tehy fit my simple rules, then they'd provide a decent point of compare, I suppose.

Otherwise, I don't mind throwing in a few more automated game benchmarks. I did request that they actaulyl hsow some differnce. I know that for me, Shogun2 and F1 2010 do show differences, so I use them in all my reviews.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    I'm taking your word for it because I have no clue! So this is what it feels like to be the average voter...

14. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    AO is a shading method used which helps add realism to reflections models. Does that have anything to do with saturation?

Anyway, should have probably PM'd this but.. here you go: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bmorlok/6197863052/in/set-72157627662461565/lightbox/

15. Novulux

Thanks Received:
    Maniaplanet games including Trackmania 2 and Shootmania have a built in benchmark. I won't know if the CPU really makes any difference until this Friday when I upgrade. :p

16. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Deus Ex maybe?

17. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I recall supreme commander making good use of multi-threading when you maxed the bot count and it's still fairly modern, but I'm unsure of its benchmark options.

18. mDee

mDee

Thanks Received:
    Too bad The Witcher 2 doesn't have a built-in benchmark.

19. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I would like to see a real world Photoshop test.

20. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I would love to see a comparison of GTA4 (since GTA 5 will be using the same engine) with new CPU's and different memory amounts and speeds.

10 Year Member at TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU
  21. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    Guild wars 2 I think the game is mostly CPU bound so this would be a good game to test.

22. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    Cities XL 2012
    keyshot 3

23. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    I think games from Steam Greenlight should be considered such as Black Mesa, the Half-Life 1 remake, although it was made on the same graphics engine as Half-Life 2 so there might not be much of a difference there; however, it is worth considering how Black Mesa is a free game.

Obviously other new games that are out already (Guild Wars, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, etc) or are going to come out (Hitman: Absolution, AC III, etc) should be considered too, but I'm sure that has already been done to some degree already.

Lastly I could add TES: Skyrim with the High Resolution Texture Pack and other games with similar mods (official ones that is) applied to it.

24. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    reason black mesa is a free game is becus Source sdk 2007 is free

25. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i hope by that you dont mean that retouchartists test that scales images up to 98324798334x38789573 before doing operations on them

10 Year Member at TPU