1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What is better?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by SlipSlice, Aug 8, 2006.

1. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been looking at 2 great video cards here recently, and I need your opinion on which you think is better:

-[​IMG]

-[​IMG]

The product reviews on the first arent that good, half and half have good replies, but the specs are a little better.

On the second card, almost everyone of the product reviews are positive, but not as many pipes, and core is a little less..

I need come opinions guys, thanks :)

slip-

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    The radeon is moddable right? I'd go with the radeon. Mod it to x850xt speeds, it will mop the floor with a 7600GT even. :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd go 6800 too, sm3 support, and pretty fast.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    Very close between those 2, but I wouldn't use just one game to base the decision on...

not the biased tomshardware either... :wtf:

I actually chose between x850 and 7600GT just recently..

I'm getting the x850xt..

SM3.0 doesn't really have much of an argument.. current games are going to be forced to lower resolutions, and SM3.0 will just hamper framerates even earlier... with providing very little visual impact..

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. x800professor

x800professor New Member

Thanks Received:
    That x800 is almost always coming with all 16 pipelines active right out of the box. The 6800 only has 8. Core clock of the x800 is 390 vs. 350 for the 6800. The x800 should win hands down.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. jph1589

jph1589 New Member

Thanks Received:
    One thing to be aware of

I have an XFX 6600gt 128 mb and I love it. BUT!!!......that cooler sounds like Air Force One on final approach!!!!..

Here is what I put on my 6600gt and I love it.....it keeps my card as a cool 39c all the time.
    Make sure it fits whatever you are buying.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=138&code=013

It is completely silent and looks sooooo coooool!!!!!!!!!

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't the 6800 xtreme (xt?) have sm3.0?

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. x800professor

x800professor New Member

Thanks Received:
    All 6 series cards do.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:

Too bad its almost useful. :laugh:

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    we all know what you mean :laugh:

i agree with the sm3.0 not being great use with one, but you can keep the card if they upgrade to sli, and then bam.

and to aboves: core clocks and vram freqs don't say everything (look at conroe @ 2ghz vs 3.6ghz p4, eos), and yes, this applies to vcards too. they use different processors.

also, i know just fear isn't a good way to tell, i just posted that link as the best stepping stone I could find

my rec has more to do with price, sm3.0, and sli-ability than the performance. they both have comparable performance

oh, and btw, 8pp would hinder the card in a pixel shader intensive game like fear, right? well it doesn't, so idk. it shows that architectures are different and comparing an entire card piece by piece really doesn't mean anything until you test the two cards head to head.

my$.02

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, Ok, So overall do you think that they will both play the newest games on high, with no lag what so ever? I am not going to get something that is mind blowing right now, because I am going to wait until I update my system to PCI-E and a 64 mobo, and processor.

So lets post final results guys, thx. :p

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. x800professor

x800professor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Newest games on high? Well...no. You'll probably have to turn down some settings or lower the resolution.

Well, it's a little different with video cards. A card that can process 6 million pixels per second will be able to process 6 million pixels per second when it needs to, and a card that can only process 4 million will show you a fun slideshow when you try to make it process 6 million. The differences on lower resolutions are all about the architecture and the coding (made for NVIDIA games play better on NVIDIA cards). At higher settings, clock speed and pixel pipes (what you use to determine pixel-processing power) really come into play.

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    the 6800XT ony has a 128bit bus as well. I believe the Sapphire X800 GTO has a 256bit bus.

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's not a little different with videocards. different architectures run different processes at different speeds. the prize is in the pudding, and you can see the two cards are similiarly paced.

i'm not saying one is outdated or old or anything of the sort, so quit getting in a huff. for the price difference (it's greater than 10%) the 6800gt wins it for me.

i don't think it's a 128bit interface, but i'm going to check in triplicate (i seem to remember a thread talking about 7600 vs 6800, and the 6800 had the 256bit whereas 7600 has 128)

also, i don't think there is such a thing as a fun slideshow :D

and, yes i agree, at higher settings it will come into play. you will get 14fps instead of 8. that doesn't matter. what matters is what you get that's PLAYABLE.

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dude, I will get more than 14 fps a second in these newer games..read these reviews..these are the reviews for the Nvidia 6800 Xtreme [​IMG]

And here are the reviews for the X800 GTO:
    [​IMG]

I JUST CAN'T DECIDE!! :(

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. x800professor

x800professor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Look at the link under fear on 1280x960 MAX AA4x AF8x. The x800XL (which is the GTO with all 16 pipes more or less) gets 30FPS, which is perfectly playable. The 6800GT gets 22FPS, which is somewhat choppy, but still playable. That's all I meant. When you get down to it, pixel processing ability eventually comes into play. If your card can't process enough pixels, you are going to slow down, and the x800 can process more pixels than an 6800GT (or XT or whatever that one is called). Now, when two cards can process the same amount of pixels, it's all about the architecture. If you need 6 million pixels, and your card can’t do it, you’re out of luck. Same thing goes with memory bandwidth. Some cards use memory bandwidth more effectively than other cards, but when you need 30GB/s and you have a max of 22, you are once again out of luck. What I am trying to say is pretty simple, architecture is important, but so is the maximum capability of the card. What I meant by turning up the settings wasn’t to go for the highest settings you can find, because that goes beyond what either card can do effectively, but the X800 still wins in a pointless race because of it’s better higher end abilities.

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. x800professor

x800professor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an x800GTO@16pp, it plays most games rather well. However, it can't play titan quest very well because that is an NVIDIA screwed up game. It gets around 9800 on 3dmark03, which is held back by the rest of my system.

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. g12rxz New Member

Thanks Received:
    X800GTO all the way, mod it, love it. may not have SM3 but it definatly has performance. 6800xt (extreme).... doesnt that thing have like 8 pipes? and if it does have a 128bit memory modules.... man... weak... 6600gt's really arent that great either whoever was mentioning those, quality is very poor and you cant use AA or AF.

Edit: Besides, you could get better performance for less with an X700 pro vs the 6800xt.....

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. i_am_mustang_man New Member

Thanks Received:
    imo, anything less than 45 for a fps and i can't play well

my eyes are crazy quick and good tho (20/8 last time i was in for a checkup)

try3d05, it's more gpu intensive

and slipslice, it may just me, but i don't believe any numbers from those types of reviews, because it's uncontrolled. plus 75fps in CSS does not equal decent performance in games like oblivion, for example. i recommend only trusting real review sites

also, 30fps in fear as avg is not playable, even for most people. that's avg. my avg in fear that i have to play at is 52fps because a min below 30 for me and i die too much XD. the min for a 30fps avg is prolly around 18 or lower, which is when you need it most (firefights)

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. x800professor

x800professor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, average FPS of 30 can mean a minimum of 28FPS, or it can mean a minimum of 1FPS. I would be happier if I could see the max and min on that. Some cards just can't work with explosions well and slow down like crazy when you throw a grenade, others stay around the same FPS all the time and hardly go down, even in firefights. 30fps is fine for me; considering NTSC television is at best 30fps, but everyone has their own opinion as far as FPS goes. The only time I get angry when people start arguing over FPS is when two rich people start arguing over their top end SLI or crossfire rigs and start comparing 129FPS to 123FPS. That’s just plain idiotic.

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok this is going to far, lol, Nothing personal with anyone, I was just here to get a little info. on these cards, because I know there were a few people who had these cards that I listed, and probably new some decent info. on the cards. And I did get some good info, I guess I am probably going to get the X800 GTO, not because that is what everybody is going with on this topic, but because there are more people who have the X800 GTO that I know of, and can work wonders with it. The only thing that is going to suck is when I accidently buy and Nvidia based game, and my X800 GTO is going to seem like a virgin and freak out, and I am going to lag my ass off. LOL, but that is life, enjoy it, haha. Thanks for all the help guys, this topic sure did make a difference..

slip-

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. x800professor

x800professor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I'm going to create a topic on the whole made for NVIDIA thing...

10 Year Member at TPU
  24. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    kk, sounds good.

10 Year Member at TPU
  25. savor_of_filth New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dude..X850 hands down...

7600GT = 8 pipelines (128 bit)

X850 = 12pp or modable to 16pp (256bit) and ati oced like heaven...

10 Year Member at TPU