• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What is BlufferBloat and would buying an Intel NIC improve it?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Useless metric. Also, the difference between NICs is in the single digits, and it's more about their CPU overhead that makes them differ in the first place.

So, nothing to see here...

As an aside, I didn't click your link, but I'm sure that they explain this in a very obvious way, probably by a graph below the result. If they can't explain things clearly, then you really should not be using that site.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Useless metric. Also, the difference between NICs is in the single digits, and it's more about their CPU overhead that makes them differ in the first place.

So, nothing to see here...

As an aside, I didn't click your link, but I'm sure that they explain this in a very obvious way, probably by a graph below the result. If they can't explain things clearly, then you really should not be using that site.

lol thanks, I did a ping test and it said grade A+ on all 3 counts, so I guess realtek ethernet is fine. im not a competitive gamer anyway so it doesnt matter i guess if its a little slower than Intel in latency.

i have no idea about this stuff, i just assumed blufferbloat or w.e was a standard networking term lol

System Name Custom
Processor 2x Intel Xeon E5-2667v2 3.6/4.0GHz (overclock 3.75/4.2GHz)
Motherboard Supermicro X9DAX-iF/modded BIOS
Cooling Dual Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4
Memory 64GB DDR3 1333MHz (overclock 1400MHz)
Video Card(s) nVidia GeForce 1080Ti, AMD Vega 56
Storage LSI 9260-8i 6x 4TB WD Red Pro RAID10 (11TB) with 2x 250GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD Cache
Display(s) 1x Asus VG278HV 144Hz, 2x Dell P2414h
Case Supermicro SC747TG-R1400B-SQ
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply 2x ABLECOM 1100W hotswap
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Unicomp Ultra Classic (Model M)/modded
Software You name it.
Benchmark Scores https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3717352
I somehow stumbled upon this thread, and after seeing how horribly incorrect @cadaveca 's response was just had to register. They even admitted they had no idea what they were talking about - said they didn't even click the link.

Buffer bloat is a serious issue but it has nothing to do with your desktop. It's caused by excessive delays in networking equipment, such as your home router or switch, or equipment within your ISP's network. You know everything else gets really slow/laggy (browsing, games, VoIP etc) when you are downloading at your connection's maximum speed? This slowdown is caused by buffer bloat. The internet protocol is designed to automatically adjust to the speed of your connection by detecting when data is "thrown away". This is commonly known as "packet loss".

Due to both marketing and a lack of understanding of how the internet's protocols are designed, manufacturers have spent decades trying to reduce packet loss to 0% which ironically has made the problem even worse than it was originally. Instead of allowing TCP (the standard guaranteed-delivery protocol of the internet) to discard data it is unable to handle immediately (and notifying the server that it did discard the data) our modern routers, switches and even the ISP's equipment will place the data in temporary storage known as "buffers". In a futile attempt to advertise "0% packet loss" to customers buying their products, they've broken a fundamental part of how the internet works by not allowing your computer to signal to the server "hey, I'm busy/my hands are full now, can you send that again later?". Instead of rejecting data, modern equipment will store it and wait for the PC to finish processing what was downloaded earlier before delivering it as normal. This means the server has no way to determine that the recipient is unable to keep up with the speed that your internet is capable of, and it continues to send as fast as possible.

The correct solution is to allow a small amount of packet loss to naturally occur - it is used as a signal to tell the server "hey, slow down! I have 1,000 other pieces of data to open first!", and when this brief packet loss happens, the server slows down to the correct speed (eventually). If you use a router that is configured to have low buffer bloat, you can play a game, chat on Skype and run torrents (even without setting a download speed limit!) all at the same time, and due to this automatic speed detection you won't even notice an impact. Think of it as if you were responsible for cars parking in a parking lot with one entrance and one exit. If you have a big parking lot (large buffer) and you keep allowing new cars to drive into the lot even when it's nearly full, eventually the exit will get stuck in a traffic jam due to the number of people fighting to drive out. On the other hand, if you have a small parking lot, or you start turning away new cars after the parking lot is 80% full - you've reduced the amount of people fighting over the exit, and thus increased the "throughput" of the parking lot.

So yes, I would say buffer bloat is an important metric and a problem that plagues nearly everybody using a typical home router.

As for the NIC itself, @cadaveca is correct when it comes to home usage. The speeds available on residential connections simply aren't fast enough for you to notice a difference. If you're transferring data on your LAN however, Realtek is going to be noticeably slower than an alternative like Intel. There are several reasons why, all fairly technical, so I will spare you the details.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
As for the NIC itself, @cadaveca is correct when it comes to home usage. The speeds available on residential connections simply aren't fast enough for you to notice a difference. If you're transferring data on your LAN however, Realtek is going to be noticeably slower than an alternative like Intel. There are several reasons why, all fairly technical, so I will spare you the details.

Yeah I have no home LAN or do nothing like that, just download Steam games and Netflix and such haha. So Realtek should be just fine, especially considering its the latest version of Realtek ethernet (i assume, since its a coffee lake mobo haha) but thanks for the peace of mind.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Buffer bloat is a serious issue but it has nothing to do with your desktop.

So... it's useless as a metric to decide about if your NIC is faulty or inferior. As I said, but in not so many words. :p

Welcome to TPU. I do the motherboard reviews here, glad you took the time to explain how useless it really was. :p No really, thanks! I take the technical and digest it down and regurgitate into a more palatable format.

And yes, I'm being sarcastic. There is mostly only CPU overhead caused by drivers... hardly technical. Most board makers use that as the way to show end users how one NIC might differ from another (check nearly any motherboard page on the maker's website). However, this is largely dependent on testing environment, and the total sum of the hardware used. This is why I do not bother to report testing of NICs in my motherboard reviews; a lot depends on your switch/router when it comes to home network transfers, and in such a way the any difference from NIC to NIC (assuming the same generation of hardware) is pretty miniscule, even on those OEM's product pages. After testing hundreds of options (most of which you can find on our reviews page) when it comes to motherboards, NIC performance is a very weak feature for marketing motherboards these days. CPUs have so many cores and are so fast that it barely matters.