• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What is happening with my GPU? (Radeon rx480)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
So i format the pc and turns out that when i use 17.7.1 radeon driver doesnt show the problem and work good, but if i install newer drivers like Adrenalin Edition 18.9.1 or newer the problem start again, so what is happening?

Make sure motherboard chipset drivers are installed.

Also are you running games off the harddrive?

Kombustor is a poor test, stop basing your reliability/performance off it.

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
Kombustor is a poor test, stop basing your reliability/performance off it.
ah! thanks ... i was baffled to see no mention of that kind for 1 whole page and i was about to recommend not using Kombustor/Furmark which are patented card destroyer.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
ah! thanks ... i was baffled to see no mention of that kind for 1 whole page and i was about to recommend not using Kombustor/Furmark which are patented card destroyer.

Nvidia just counts it as a power virus, I believe AMD does too.

System Name HTPC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory Kingston Fury Renegade RGB 32GB Kit (2x16GB) 3600Mhz DDR4 CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage Acer Predator GM7000 4TB / WD Blue SN570 1TB / TOSHIBA HDWD130 3TB
Display(s) LG Oled 42C3
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
The card is hiiting the Power limit of 110W, so it throttles down to lower the power draw.

He needs to check GPU voltage its not above 1.200v (1200mV) or undervolt the card if possible, All The videos show the card goes above the 110W limit so the card throttles hard, grab a video with your GPU voltage on the OSD.

Edit: or you could edit your bios using an editor to raise the power limit of your card, extract it using GPU-Z, dont flash another bios thats not yours or you could lose some ports on your card or HDCP capability (ask me how i know :banghead:)

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
The card is hiiting the Power limit of 110W, so it throttles down to lower the power draw.

He needs to check GPU voltage its not above 1.200v (1200mV) or undervolt the card if possible, All The videos show the card goes above the 110W limit so the card throttles hard, grab a video with your GPU voltage on the OSD.

Edit: or you could edit your bios using an editor to raise the power limit of your card, extract it using GPU-Z, dont flash another bios thats not yours or you could lose some ports on your card or HDCP capability (ask me how i know :banghead:)

I analyze the files for compatibility.

According to TPU, the card drew 207 watts in peak gaming.... even the reference card drew 167 ... so I don't "get" a design which limits the power to 110w unless we are talking semantics. Are we talking "power to the card" or power to a part of what's on the card ? I also remember the many many articles about the original 6 pin cards exceeding the rated amperage of the PCI-E slot which is why many vendors switched from the 6 to the 8. I also remember that AMD released a 'fix' that cut the power down to eliminate the problem with to squelch the problem of the 6 pin cards getting toasted.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/amd-rx-480-pcie-power-statement/

I would think that the MSI would leave you in a better position than most other cards. TPU wrote: "MSI upgraded the 6-pin power input of the reference design to an 8-pin, which is specified for up to 225 W of power draw. ... Given the reference design retails at $239, this $25 increase is not unreasonable if you consider how much better the MSI RX 480 Gaming X performs in every single test in this review. In my opinion, this is thus far the only RX 480 that looks like it can compete with the GTX 1060 and its custom designs. "

AIBs will vary mv to their clocks and they will be very generous. I suspect the MSI Gaming X would be close to 1200mv stock in "OC mode" already that why it sucks so much juice.

The one that was reviews here - 8gb version had a 1303mhz @ 1155mv. One of his video shows his MSI Gaming X 4GB clocks hitting 1316mhz which is inline with OC Mode.

Quick way to find out is to

Open AMD radeon settings.
Go to Gaming
Open Global settings
Open Global wattman
Click Reset (Accept the Reset changes)
Exit Global Setting (Click the House Icon) - As a precaution to make sure the settings take effect.
Go back in to Global Settings
Open Global wattman
Under GPU click Frequency so its dynamic so its showing you the numbers for each state
Under voltage control click to Manual so its showing you the numbers for each state

If you can take a picture and post it. If you cant save the profile for reference. You can open it (the XML profile) in Wordpad and paste it here.

Last edited:

walter825

So this is how is working now with Radeon Software Version 17.7.1, i also undervolt the power -20.

Ac origins
Metro exodus

And this is how WattMan is
Captura de pantalla (1).png

I also dont know why the temperature of the gpu does not rise much, before when I ran these demanding games even reached up to 75 degrees and working good

If i install a newer radeon driver the stuttering start again

So this is how is working now with Radeon Software Version 17.7.1, i also undervolt the power -20.

Ac origins
Metro exodus

And this is how WattMan is
View attachment 118531

I also dont know why the temperature of the gpu does not rise much, before when I ran these demanding games even reached up to 75 degrees and working good

If i install a newer radeon driver the stuttering start again

Its still not reaching or maintaining higher states.

Limite de energia -20% does changing it to 0 or +5% have any effect. My spanish is horrible but here goes, cuando esso esta negativo te vaja los mhz frequencia automatica mente.

Also noticed your Memory Frequency is different now 1775mhz now 1750mhz. Something is being changed.

Last edited:

walter825

Its still not reaching or maintaining higher states.

Limite de energia -20% does changing it to 0 or +5% have any effect. My spanish is horrible but here goes, cuando esso esta negativo te vaja los mhz frequencia automatica mente.

Also noticed your Memory Frequency is different now 1775mhz now 1750mhz. Something is being changed.
Is cause i use to have MSI gaming app wich have 3 oc modes, but i dont have it now cause to install i have to update radeon driver. So what i should set in power limit?

Is cause i use to have MSI gaming app wich have 3 oc modes, but i dont have it now cause to install i have to update radeon driver. So what i should set in power limit?

It should be at 0 but if your still having issues maintaning state "Estados" i would reset it "restablecer" and reboot because something else is being changed. Make sure no other app is changing those settings either like MSI afterburner.

Resetting / restablecer will put it at 0 along with all the other settings. Reboot and see if your getting the stutter.

Last edited:

walter825

It should be at 0 but if your still having issues maintaning state "Estados" i would reset it "restablecer" and reboot. Make sure no other app is changing those settings either like MSI afterburner.

Resetting / restablecer will put it at 0 along with all the other settings. Reboot and see if your getting the stutter.
i reset but the setting are the same. freeuency should be in dinamyc mode?

i reset but the setting are the same. freeuency should be in dinamyc mode?

No. Unless you want to change it but its better to figure what causing the states "estados" not to be maintained first.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition
Memory Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 3200/C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Vega 56
Storage SSD: Crucial MX300 525gb HDD: Western Digital Blue 2tb x2
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF 1440p @155 hz Freesync
Case Fractal Design R6 TG
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard Roccat Isku+
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Hi! Saw your post and registered because i used to have a similar problem that drove me crazy and hope to help.

Anyways back in the day i had R9 380x that just wouldn't hold the clocks in some games which led to stuttering, temps where fine, PSU good, drivers reintsalled, and after a search of the internets I found that its a software issue that happens to some people, and there's an app called ClockBlocker which solved my problem.
The app fools the AMD driver to run at constant max clock, not very power efficient but it solved it for me, You should try it, see what happens.

Last edited:

walter825

Did you reset it and make sure its at 0 ( Limite de energia 0 ) and try it ?

this is how run with normal setup power 0 and WattMan settings default, so how i can know if is a hardware issue or what. Should i try that app clockblocker?

Hi! Saw your post and registered because i used to have a similar problem that drove me crazy and hope to help.

Anyways back in the day i had R9 380x that just wouldn't hold the clocks in some games which led to stuttering, temps where fine, PSU good, drivers reintsalled, and after a search of the internets I found that its a software issue that happens to some people, and there's an app called ClockBlocker which solved my problem.
The app fools the AMD driver to run at constant max clock, not very power efficient but it solved it for me, You should try it, see what happens.
Thank you man, yeah this issue is so annoying, ill try that app and see what happen, so in the app i just block the clock in max?

this is how run with normal setup power 0 and WattMan settings default, so how i can know if is a hardware issue or what. Should i try that app clockblocker?

You can if you want to.

Before you do that can you take a picture of wattman in global settings and post it with GPU frequency set to Dynamic (frequencia Dynamica) and Voltage Control to manual (control de voltage Manual). Dont save it. I just want to see if there is anything odd there.

walter825

You can if you want to.

Before you do that can you take a picture of wattman in global settings and post it with GPU frequency set to Dynamic (frequencia Dynamica) and Voltage Control to manual (control de voltage Manual). Dont save it. I just want to see if there is anything odd there.
here
Captura de pantalla (2).png

That looks fine for stock.

The last few things i would try is.

1) increasing Power limit (Limite de energia %) 5

2) Apply those setting like in the picture (Frequency Dynamico & Control de voltage manual).

Another thing you can do is you said driver 17.7.1 works fine. You can try saving a default reset profile in those showing the (Frequency Dynamico & Control de voltage manual) and one with the latest driver 19.3.1 and compare them. See if they are the same settings in Radeon settings and if there anything changing in the XMLs.

Last edited:
System Name HTPC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory Kingston Fury Renegade RGB 32GB Kit (2x16GB) 3600Mhz DDR4 CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage Acer Predator GM7000 4TB / WD Blue SN570 1TB / TOSHIBA HDWD130 3TB
Display(s) LG Oled 42C3
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Instala los controladores mas nuevos y en "limite de energia" ponlo en +50%, ya te dije la solución pero decidiste ignorarme, la tarjeta de video tiene un TDP maximo de 110W en el bios, se esta "ahorcando" sola porque esta consumiendo mas energia del limite establecido por AMD. los perfiles de OC de la aplicacion que estas usando estan mandando demasiado voltaje al GPU.

el Limite de energia establece el maximo de energia que puede utilizar la tarjeta de video antes de empezar a alentarse para mantener el limite que es de 110W. que al poner el limite en +50% en teoria aumenta hasta 175W aproximadamente antes de que empiece a tirar cuadros.

este es mi ultimo post al respecto, la solución ahi esta.

I analyze the files for compatibility.

yeah at the time i knew nothing about it, I just did a YOLO, at least the card still kinda works but i lost HDCP capability and 2 displayports :roll:

walter825

Instala los controladores mas nuevos y en "limite de energia" ponlo en +50%, ya te dije la solución pero decidiste ignorarme, la tarjeta de video tiene un TDP maximo de 110W en el bios, se esta "ahorcando" sola porque esta consumiendo mas energia del limite establecido por AMD. los perfiles de OC de la aplicacion que estas usando estan mandando demasiado voltaje al GPU.

el Limite de energia establece el maximo de energia que puede utilizar la tarjeta de video antes de empezar a alentarse para mantener el limite que es de 110W. que al poner el limite en +50% en teoria aumenta hasta 175W aproximadamente antes de que empiece a tirar cuadros.

este es mi ultimo post al respecto, la solución ahi esta.

yeah at the time i knew nothing about it, I just did a YOLO, at least the card still kinda works but i lost HDCP capability and 2 displayports :roll:
Disculpa amigo, no soy muy bueno entendiendo los terminos en ingles por lo que no entendi muy bien la primera vez que me respondiste, pero hare lo que me dices a ver que pasa. Otra cosa, lo perfiles de OC los tenia con el MSI gaming app pero ahora no esta instalado, por lo que la tarjeta deberia ir de fabrica, y se puede subirle el limite de w desde la bios? es que ya habia intentado ponerlo en +50 con wl WattMan antes de formatear pero lo que pasa es que se ponia inestable el voltaje subia de 100 a 150 cada segundo y seguia con el stuttering. Gracias por la ayuda

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition
Memory Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 3200/C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Vega 56
Storage SSD: Crucial MX300 525gb HDD: Western Digital Blue 2tb x2
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF 1440p @155 hz Freesync
Case Fractal Design R6 TG
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard Roccat Isku+
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Thank you man, yeah this issue is so annoying, ill try that app and see what happen, so in the app i just block the clock in max?

Yeah the app just "convinces" the AMD driver that max clocks are necessary, it doesn't overclock the card or change voltages or something like that, it's just a fix for power management bug that apparently happens sometimes. You just run the app, nothing else needed, start a game that has issues and watch if the clocks are stable now.

Obviously I haven't tested it on polaris cards, but I think it shold work.

Last edited: