1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

what is the best air cooler ever

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by codyjansen, Jan 10, 2010.

1. codyjansen

codyjansen

Thanks Received:
    what is the best air cooler ever? i have been wondering that for a while now.

2. afw

afw

Thanks Received:
    Noctua NH-D14 / Thermalrite IFX14 / Prolimatech Megahalems / Prolimatech megashadow ....

EDIT: All of the above are high-end coolers ... their performance will depend on the fans+thermal paste+casing used ...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  3. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't go near a D14 or IFX, the best (reasonable sized) cooler is the Prolimatech Megahalems or Thermalright Venomous X.

4. TheShad0W New Member

Thanks Received:
    the Zalman CNPS10X is also looking pretty decent, guru3d reviewed it as better than the D14.
    I'd also suggest giving IC Diamond Thermal paste a go, I've seen some very positive things about it...

5. smashed_99cbr New Member

Thanks Received:
    best for a certain price range? or best period?

6. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    go here and scroll down the page. the thremalright venomous x is pretty good.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I'd say TRUE. It's a all around winner that has been used on high end systems for several years now and still works great. Sure there are now better coolers by a small mergin, but TRUE lasted fr quite some time and i don't remember any other cooler achieving that. Performance and popularity.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Great so now i have to order a Venomous X :ohwell:

9. jjFarking

jjFarking New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you seen the size of that Venomous X?
    Sure, it beats the CNPS10X, but look at the size difference. This means that, pound for pound, the Venomous X is actually less efficient than the Zalman - the difference in temperatures is not all that great if you do a size to efficiency comparison.
    I'm not even mentioning the weight of that beast..

My vote would go to the Zalman CNPS10X
    :p

10. Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Umm, NO. I own the Mega, and I've owned the CNPS10X and the TRUE. Honestly, the CNPS does not even belong in the same category as the TRU or Mega. It's a vastly inferior cooler. Whoever it was that did the review at guru must have been smoking some good shit when coming to that conclusion.

angelkiller, [Ion], Kei and 1 other person say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  11. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Look i d=know most of us dont even care about the size, why should we?
    If were going to lay down the money for the best aircooling avaliable, then its alright if its big.Most of us that are buying true's and prolimetech heatsinks have big, wide, well ventulated cases, and have experience building systems.So who cares if its big, at least it aint bigger the a Noctouse 14 beast, which covers 4 ram slots -_-.

THERE is no reason to care about the size of the heatsink, unless it interfears with your system. The only heatsink that can basicly do that is the noctouse beast 14 heatsink. Even trues and many other heatsinks interfear with rigs, but the venomouse x couldnt be that big.

I just saw a size comparison, and im amazed the TRUE and the Venom X are the same size, the EXACT same size. Wow.

12. jjFarking

jjFarking New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL!
    I guess you cannot take the word of just one reviewer ;)
    Are there any more reliable reviews that you know of?

13. jjFarking

jjFarking New Member

Thanks Received:
    If strictly speaking in regards to the OP's question, then perhaps, you're right.
    Would you, then, vote the Noctua NH-D14 as the best?

14. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    I love my Noctua NH-D14.

While the only other one I've had was the OCZ Vendetta 2 that I used several different fans on to find good clocks, I've been extremely impressed with the cooling ability of the D14. I can run my i7 overclocked to 3.8Ghz passive with only the case fans doing the work. While it is very large, using just the 140mm fan in the middle it is more than capable. I'm really impressed with how quite it can be while still being able to cool a i7 to 4.2Ghz. :rockout:

jjFarking says thanks.
  15. dustyshiv

dustyshiv

Thanks Received:
    Paulie's words come by experience!!

But I experienced this.
    I personally own Zalman CNPS10X Extreme. Its cooling one of the i7 clocked at 3.9 GHz thats crunching 24/7 at 100% CPU usage. Temps avg. from 65-69 degree C. Ambient room temp is about 30 Degree C.

Personally Im satisfied with this one. The only downside is the noise the fan makes when its runnin full throttle.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  16. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Not till we see some more reviews of the Venomous X. :p

17. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The best Air cooler ever is and has to be the TRUE, simply because even though a couple of coolers may now pip it by a couple of degrees, the TRUE has been proven and at the top for like 3 years, when it's current competitors have been at the top of their game for as long then they can be considered...... having a great cooler that is No1 for 3 or 4 months is good, but having one so competative for 3 odd years is GREAT!

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Zalman CNPS 9700 NT.

19. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    There is no one best air cooler, more like several top coolers that are on par with each other. Yes the TRUE is very effiective, but there are also a couple non-true coolers that perform just as well.​
    [/LEFT]

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    For the last 3 years?

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. Jody2k New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have bought the Zalman cnps10X and I'm very glad with the results!
    I'm running my core I5 on 4120 mhz with a core voltage of 1.57 V and the tempertures wont go above 63-65 °C (depends on ambient temperture) on 2houres full load with Intel burn

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  22. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    1.57V for 4.1gig on an i5 :eek: I have an i7 920 but the old (not so good) C0 stepping and I can bench and OCCT stable at 4.2gig on less than 1.3V...... that seems a lot of voltage.

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. SoulTribunal

Thanks Received:
    Good to see lots of Love for one of my Favorite Companies (Zalman).

Personally speaking though the cooler is good and bad. Its retention system for i7's / i5's is sub par compared to Last Generation LGA775's (See System Specs, mine cools a 9550).

That being said the Cooler relies both heavily on how it is mounted and how much air it can be fed to operate properly. So a Case is just as important in consideration.

The Zalman FLEX uses a much better retention system and is ready to go for mounting twin Fans in Push Pull config (And you won't have as many clearance issues as you will with Noctua's). Couple that with some Coolermaster R4's (Very good blade pitch and static pressure for the cost) or SanAces (Just monsters of static Pressure) and you have a winning combination.

No cooler is 100 the best for every situation. That is why there are so many on the market today. Its merely a matter of finding what works best for you.

So, I'll toss my name in the hat for the Flex with R4's.

ST

24. Jody2k New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah I know but it's the only way to get it stable :p thats way I have a good cooler

25. kyle2020 Guest

Id have to say either the AC Freezer Pro or the Xigmatek HDT S1283 Rifle - why? the AC is the best bang for buck cooler on the market, PERIOD. The Xigmatek is also damn cheap and performs just shy of the TRUE and other more expensive, heavier coolers.

$0.02

10 Year Member at TPU